Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I currently only own a PS3, but for the next generation I've decided to switch over to X1. I'm a fan of kinect for the motion controls, but I think right now I am more so interested in the voice commands. I watched the Need for Speed: Most Wanted using voice commands for switching car parts (which for me was distracting while driving on PS3) and I see games like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 will use voice as a game feature as well.

I'm not really concerned about being spied on. Best MS or the government can do is laugh at me playing Fantasia. 

Wanted to preorder the launch day edition but only Microsoft is selling it right now and I don't know how they do preorder payment (upfront or at (free!) shipping time.).

Also saw that as far as Indies - Kinect, cloud, and achievements are all confirmed for those creators and  the dev kit xboxes was confirmed 

http://123kinect.com/kinect-2-support-for-xbox-one-indie-games-confirmed/41479/

Game wise I am looking forward to - Killer Instinct, Ryse (123 kinect also has an hour panel about ryse that makes things look good), Dead Rising 3, Brothers: a tale of to sons, and some others that will come out eventually. 

I've never played a Forza game. Someone sell me on those. 

Also - I might get in trouble for this since the other thread got closed, but it looks like the day one Gold cards comes with characters for Killer Instinct as well as the Jango costume. I read that the game only gives you Jango so if the Round One thing really is for example Glacier, Saberwolf and Chief Thunder for free that would be awesome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen this yet?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5JUCuvlPY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

X1 Headset now included with the console?
They edited it to mention it was false information.

However, numerous sources inside of Microsoft have said they are looking at the option to include the wired headset... I'd be shocked if it does not make it into Day 1 systems at minimum.

../Sidenote, back from vacation.. boo :( on the positive side, the thread didnt explode into too much negativity. Hoorah.

They edited it to mention it was false information.

However, numerous sources inside of Microsoft have said they are looking at the option to include the wired headset... I'd be shocked if it does not make it into Day 1 systems at minimum.

../Sidenote, back from vacation.. boo :( on the positive side, the thread didnt explode into too much negativity. Hoorah.
From what I've read, that's down the line. No plans to include the headset at launch. Things change, of course. We've seen so many changes in the last 6 weeks it's staggering.

No way in hell they drop the price. 

My ideal dream announcement is that they will give you the headset free but not box it in with the console. 

I really hope they bring back a lot of what they 180ed on but explain it better. I was excited for what they told me I was getting on day one. 

I don't think we'll see a drop in price but I would think they'll include the headset in the box. The seamless party chat and connection to friends was a big draw on 360, and should be on again on X1. The headset in the box just makes it that much easier, and MS has gotta realize that.

i don't mind not having head set packaged into the system i will be buying a 3rd party thing to use my tb headset or just buy a gaming headset for x1 anyways. 25 bucks for the head set is not bad it could be worse ms could bundle in a garbage head set like ps4 has. Who wants a gaming headset being those dumb ear buds headset.

Yeah, the PS4 headset ear bud thing is terrible.  I just got a the Sony bluetooth earpiece one for PS3 since they announced that any of the Bluetooth ones will work with PS4.  I like the cell phone style ones as I don't need full headphone ones as I want to use my surround sound, and I like having something small/minimal as it's easy to stash since I don't game online very often anyway.

MS should throw one in for sure though, at least a plain wired one like the 360 had.  That's all I ever used on my 360.  But maybe they think people will just like using the Kinect speaker and tv/ht speakers for chatting.  *shrugs*

Wow smart match sounds awesome!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/421620/microsoft-details-xbox-ones-revolutionary-smart-match-system/

More about smart match from Major Nelson

http://majornelson.com/2013/07/30/matchmaking-on-xbox-one-with-smart-match/

Indeed, but it will suffice until there is a game one is ready to drop some coin on a headset for. It's good not to worry about another $30 purchase at launch.
Very true.

And mostly moot since you can use any Bluetooth headset with it just like on ps3. So most who have a ps3 already have one they can use. Or you can just use a Bluetooth cell phone earpiece.

I think what i'll do is use my Tritton headset for game audio, mute my tv, and use the kinect mic. At least until the adapter comes out.

Nothing new in either article, though. Smart Match sounds nice, but it appears easy for griefers to exploit. Nothing stopping people from destroying your rep. What I want to hear is how they will prevent it. It has potential.

I really don't think they would come up with this complex plan and then not have a way to stop scammers.

Also who is going to come out and say oh this is how we are going to stop people from exploiting it basically telling those who want to font waste your team on doing it this way blah blah blah. No one comes out with a new system and says this is exactly how we are going to stop people. But hey we have the NSA on our sides, we'll get the scammers/cheaters/bullies :D

My problem is Smart Match sounds like how Rep was supposed to work on the 360.  They had 8 years and it still doesn't work like they sold it as.  

Also the "do anything you want while you wait!" is laughable.  Outside of playing another xbox game I already do all that other shit on my 360.   Everyone has a laptop/tablet/phone nearby these days that does all those things and more.  This is hardly revolutionary. :lol:  You know what else I can do while waiting on a match?  Make a sandwich, take a dump, check the mail, get a BJ... are those features too?  

I really don't think they would come up with this complex plan and then not have a way to stop scammers.

Also who is going to come out and say oh this is how we are going to stop people from exploiting it basically telling those who want to font waste your team on doing it this way blah blah blah. No one comes out with a new system and says this is exactly how we are going to stop people. But hey we have the NSA on our sides, we'll get the scammers/cheaters/bullies :D
You're giving them too much credit. They have not shown any ability to stop griefers on the 360, so why believe they fixed that? I know people who have gotten banned for 30 days from XBL just because a punk didn't like being beaten and reported them for something they didn't do. They don't have time to investigate and there is no software logic that reads the intent of a reviewer. With this system, a few punks could prevent someone from matching with individuals they should be qualified to play with. I'm sure they've thought about it and that's why I want to hear how they are handling it. Until then, assume it's status quo. Also, if you have a way to stop griefers, it's going to be known. Either you tell people, or they find out on day one. You can't hide it. If it's a good system, it will work regardless. I'm not bagging on Smart Match. I just want to hear all the details.

Yeah I'm usually just goofing on CAG on my iPad during breaks between matches so I doubt I'd take advantage of any options for doing things between matches built into a console.

I don't plan on getting the Xbox One until mid way or late into its life cycle, but Sunset Overdrive looks really fun. Insomniac has made some really great games, so I'm hopeful they'll be able to recapture that magic with this new ip.

the more and more i hear about xbox one the more and more i know just like this gen my ps4 will not be getting much use heck im starting to think to just get a x1 at launch. While sony has not said a word about ps4 since e3 ms has showed alot of stuff off and alot of it is gaming stuff. Matchmaking on x1 just sounds amazing

The Xbox One by Microsoft sure is looking to stomp the competition come this holiday season. I can barely wait to watch the exclusive Halo TV series through the power of my Xbox One!

More great news - Upgraded GPU Speed Set to be Announced

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/02/report-microsoft-to-announce-upgraded-gpu-speed-for-xbox-one.aspx

I'm glad to see that competition is working as it should! MS is continually stepping it up and I cannot wait to get my hands on a X1. 

Granted, a slight overclock (is it an overclock? I'm guessing the GPU was underclocked to begin with) isn't going to do much, but hey, who is going to complain about more speed.

The GPU speed bump is PR.  Every little bit helps, but it's insignificant to performance. A side note of this is that MS finally confirmed the clock speed of the GPU with this speed bump announcement.  That's the real news. Still amazed that they continue to make changes so close to launch.  I like that they are reacting to the competition and consumer feedback.

The Xbox One by Microsoft sure is looking to stomp the competition come this holiday season. I can barely wait to watch the exclusive Halo TV series through the power of my Xbox One!
at least we know alot more things about x1 since e3 unlike sony who has been pretty not talking since E3

when it comes to software ms will always have sony beat no matter what happens seeing software is what ms has been doing for over 30 years. NEW xbox live just looks amazing. I don't mind paying for xbox live seeing it's always been a great service since the days of first xbox.

when it comes to software ms will always have sony beat no matter what happens seeing software is what ms has been doing for over 30 years. NEW xbox live just looks amazing. I don't mind paying for xbox live seeing it's always been a great service since the days of first xbox.
Windows 8 disagrees with you. Every company slips up. Having said that, Xbox live looks pretty good so far.

I don't get the hate people have for Windows 8.  The metro screen is useful once you get it customized/tweaked to your needs, and its easy enough to install a start button program that includes the option to boot to the desktop if you really hate the Metro screen.  Or just wait for the official update that's adding in those options.

Windows 8 disagrees with you. Every company slips up. Having said that, Xbox live looks pretty good so far.
windows 8 is not bad at all i don't understand why people hate windows 8 it runs games alot better then windows 7. People just hate the new start menu which in my mind it's much better then the old start menu. PLus in windows 8.1 free update start menu is coming back.

Is there really anything of note about the PS4 that we don't know?  MS has had a bunch of announcements as they changed a lot of policies, hadn't revealed all the specs (this clock speed upgrade was the first time the clock speed had been confirmed isn't it)?

I'm sure we'll hear more about both at Gamescom soon anyway.  In any case, I have no questions about either console and had my purchase decision made after the E3 press conferences.

Is there really anything of note about the PS4 that we don't know? MS has had a bunch of announcements as they changed a lot of policies, hadn't revealed all the specs (this clock speed upgrade was the first time the clock speed had been confirmed isn't it)?

I'm sure we'll here more about both at Gamescom soon anyway. In any case, I have no questions about either console and had my purchase decision made after the E3 press conferences.
Yeah, this was the first confirmation of the clock speed.

the pr move was done weeks ago the stuff announcing now has always been in the system
Not the clock speed bump.

Is there really anything of note about the PS4 that we don't know? MS has had a bunch of announcements as they changed a lot of policies, hadn't revealed all the specs (this clock speed upgrade was the first time the clock speed had been confirmed isn't it)?

I'm sure we'll here more about both at Gamescom soon anyway. In any case, I have no questions about either console and had my purchase decision made after the E3 press conferences.
i would like to know the big changes done to psn to put it on par to xbox live which i doudt will happen anyways and the interface and what not. Im a person that can't stand the ps3 interface and it never changed once compared to xbox live. I also want to know how sony improved their servers so it don't take a hour to download a demo when it takes me 10 mins for the same one on live.

i would like to know the big changes done to psn to put it on par to xbox live which i doudt will happen anyways and the interface and what not. Im a person that can't stand the ps3 interface and it never changed once compared to xbox live. I also want to know how sony improved their servers so it don't take a hour to download a demo when it takes me 10 mins for the same one on live.
Is it really hard to wait for Gamescom or TGS for more announcement? Why do you have to know everything right now considering both system launch dates have not been confirmed. You act like these systems are going to hit next week and have to make a decision now.

Is it really hard to wait for Gamescom or TGS for more announcement? Why do you have to know everything right now considering both system launch dates have not been confirmed. You act like these systems are going to hit next week and have to make a decision now.
i doudt we hear much about psn and interface then sony almost never talks about that stuff before system is launched was the case with ps3

Fair enough.

I don't care much about console OS stuff as I don't do anything with mine but game--and mostly single player gaming. If it wasn't for digital games, I'd just set them to boot to the game in the tray every time if given the option and just use them like older consoles.

I am curious about download speed improvements too--but that will really be a matter of getting it and seeing how it does on my ISP/router etc. anyway. From what people say, the Vita downloads are much faster than PS3 ones, so that bodes well for PS4 I guess.

PS3 downloads have nothing to do with server improvements.  If you setup a free proxy on your network, it eliminates the download speed issue.  Sony artificially limits it.  There's nothing wrong with their servers. Definitely a negative of the PS3.

PS3 downloads have nothing to do with server improvements. If you setup a free proxy on your network, it eliminates the download speed issue. Sony artificially limits it. There's nothing wrong with their servers. Definitely a negative of the PS3.
Please don't tell me you really believe that.. do you?

A proxy server is simply a go between. PS3 -> Your Router -> Proxy Server -> PSN Network. Since PSN is not throttling network traffic (assuming your "theory" is correct) based upon IP's, the Proxy server will not do a damn thing.

If you get faster download speeds, the most likely reason why is your route changed, thus bypassing some nodes that are having issues. (Use tracert (win), traceroute (linux/mac) to see the route your taking to a designated server) A sample IP for you to trace is 63.97.94.8.. one of PSN store's servers in Texas.

The more likely reason is not because they are artificially limiting anything. But simply because the PS3's LAN drivers and or actual hardware suck. Thus the reason you can take a PSP or a Vita, toss it on the same network, and have download speeds 5 times faster, without changing anything. (That point's to a clear hardware/driver issue)

In either case, it suggests they learned how to fix those issues for their portables, so the PS4 should those faster downloads compared to the PS3.

Having the ability on both consoles to play once the game is partially downloaded helps a ton too.  Even on the 360 with my 8-10mpps game I'm not going to sit and wait for a full retail game to download as it still takes quite a while.  I just do them at night before passing out, or in the morning on the way to work.  So the slower speeds on PS3 have been mostly moot for me in terms of game purchases.

Game updates are different though.  I've lost some short gaming sessions where I wanted to play for 30-60 minutes and ran into a big game update that took 20-30 minutes to download and wrecked my time/mood for playing then.  

So I'm hoping for better speeds for those and/or smaller game update files (like on 360).

In either case, it suggests they learned how to fix those issues for their portables, so the PS4 should those faster downloads compared to the PS3.

Having the ability on both consoles to play once the game is partially downloaded helps a ton too. Even on the 360 with my 8-10mpps game I'm not going to sit and wait for a full retail game to download as it still takes quite a while. I just do them at night before passing out, or in the morning on the way to work. So the slower speeds on PS3 have been mostly moot for me in terms of game purchases.

Game updates are different though. I've lost some short gaming sessions where I wanted to play for 30-60 minutes and ran into a big game update that took 20-30 minutes to download and wrecked my time/mood for playing then.

So I'm hoping for better speeds for those and/or smaller game update files (like on 360).
Yep, it's clear that they fixed the hardware/driver issue with their portables. The PSP (3000 version) downloads at a noticeably increased pace, and the Vita just screams in comparison to the PS3.

So I do not think anyone needs to worry about that.

As to the last line, agreed as well. I'm not sure how much of a issue that will be for the X1, since it is designed to be always on by nature. I would assume, knowing Sony, that they have something similar in mind and just have not announced anything yet. It was pretty clear they got caught flat footed for the whole online thing, and have since realized just how important it is... arguably beating out Live in certain aspects. (Free games being the clear winner)

Don't know how Microsoft can take any heat post E3. They have done everything right since. What are you going to knock them for? Listening to gamers? That's a bad thing? Give me a break! This train is only picking up steam while the PS4 continue to get lost in the shuffle. We haven't heard anything when daily there are 100s of new X1 stories.

bread's done
Back