Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Not sure what's going on.  I found dmaul's post, but for me it's post #68.  I also checked to see if hidden posts counted, but they don't.  I also can't see Corvin's original post. 

Definitely odd.

Time to put on your tinfoil hat fella's.. it's a conspiracy!

A-Rod-Tin-Foil-Hat.JPG

John Carmack from ID software isn't a fan of Kinect 2.0.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-02-carmack-criticises-fundamentally-poor-kinect-interactions

And he's not an MS basher, just made comments the other day saying the "witchhunt" against MS over the DRM etc. was overblown, that the X1 and PS4 are "very close" spec wise etc.

Anyway, interesting to hear a developer not big on Kinect as a control method, and that it doesn't sound much better than Kinect 1.  Only time will tell of course in terms of how well it works and what developers can do with it.

John Carmack from ID software isn't a fan of Kinect 2.0.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-02-carmack-criticises-fundamentally-poor-kinect-interactions

And he's not an MS basher, just made comments the other day saying the "witchhunt" against MS over the DRM etc. was overblown, that the X1 and PS4 are "very close" spec wise etc.

Anyway, interesting to hear a developer not big on Kinect as a control method, and that it doesn't sound much better than Kinect 1. Only time will tell of course in terms of how well it works and what developers can do with it.
What I found funny was, when he said the consoles were very close.. which all of us with any actual technical background knew anyway... fan's went completely apeshit on him on most of the forums. Even Neogaf was bashing him.

I mean, the guy is damn near as close to a genius in the gaming world as we can get, beloved by most people (even if he is slightly.. off.. but arent most game dev's? :p).

As to the Kinect, he clearly said in his keynote that the actual Kinect is not marketed toward him or people like him, but more toward the "broad consumer market"... i.e. party/dance games, which it has excelled at extremely well.

I'm not sure anyone here thinks the Kinect will ever please the "hardcore" audience. My kids adore the thing though, so I'd say it's time is coming.

For sure.  My worry, and many others, is that they'll try to shoehorn Kinect stuff into regular games now that everyone has to have one and has to keep it hooked up.

If it's left just for the dance/party games, then that's fine as regular games stay the same.  Though I still have issues with it being forced in since I have no interest in those types of games, using gestures or voice commands to operate the 360 etc. so it's just $100 of added cost for stuff I'd never use.

In any case, only time will tell how developers use Kinect, what types of games it gets used in etc.

i think the switch from game to dashboard should work great seeing x1 has tons of ram. I know for me 360 guide would sometimes load up slow or when i loaded it the thing would lock up my system. i can't wait to see how smooth x1 runs over all at this point the dashboard on 360 is putting 360 to it's limits.

For sure. My worry, and many others, is that they'll try to shoehorn Kinect stuff into regular games now that everyone has to have one and has to keep it hooked up.

If it's left just for the dance/party games, then that's fine as regular games stay the same. Though I still have issues with it being forced in since I have no interest in those types of games, using gestures or voice commands to operate the 360 etc. so it's just $100 of added cost for stuff I'd never use.

In any case, only time will tell how developers use Kinect, what types of games it gets used in etc.

I don't think they will "shoe horn" it in to any games. Will all first party games have likely features? You can bet your ass they will. Will you have to use them? Nope. Just like the features in Need for Speed, Madden or any other game that has them, they will be optional and you can chose whether to use them or not. I don't get where people think that there will be mandatory kinect use for the gamer in any of these games when we haven't seem this at all in non 100% kinect games.

i think the switch from game to dashboard should work great seeing x1 has tons of ram. I know for me 360 guide would sometimes load up slow or when i loaded it the thing would lock up my system. i can't wait to see how smooth x1 runs over all at this point the dashboard on 360 is putting 360 to it's limits.
I never experienced an issue with the 360 guide on my system.

I don't think they will "shoe horn" it in to any games. Will all first party games have likely features? You can bet your ass they will. Will you have to use them? Nope. Just like the features in Need for Speed, Madden or any other game that has them, they will be optional and you can chose whether to use them or not. I don't get where people think that there will be mandatory kinect use for the gamer in any of these games when we haven't seem this at all in non 100% kinect games.
One reason I can see for the fear from personal experience is the PS3. Main example being uncharted 1 with 6axis grenade and balance controls. Absolute crap and I recall were either mandatory or default (which can be a frustration, especially if the game doesn't note to you that this can be changed.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I worry about it because waggle and pointer bs got shoehorned into so many Wii games like the Mario Galaxy games etc. Or some of the PS3 games with forced six axis nonsense. When everyone who buys a console has whatever gimmick control feature developers have a track record of building in some forced usages based on past history on other platforms. Hopefully X1 will be different, but only time will tell.

I worry about it because waggle and pointer bs got shoehorned into so many Wii games like the Mario Galaxy games etc. Or some of the PS3 games with forced six axis nonsense. When everyone who buys a console has whatever gimmick control feature developers have a track record of building in some forced usages based on past history on other platforms. Hopefully X1 will be different, but only time will tell.
I think that, if anything, we'll see a lot more voice commands put into games.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm talking about the guide being more of a shortcut than navigating the full dash. Assume the 360 switched instantly to the dash. Navigating to achievements is a helluva lot more convoluted than pulling up the guide. Same for checking friends and parties. Turning notifications on/off, checking your d/l list, etc. Forget the instant switching, all of it is quicker than navigating the actual dash once you are there.

Grain of salt though since we haven't seen the X1 dash, but I'm still willing to bet a guide with shortcuts to popular things would be faster.

Agreed. And I don't care for those either. Takes me out of games and can be too loud when gaming late at night.

Did you not play any of the X360
games like Future Solider, Madden, Need for Speed, etc etc that had Kinect functionality but you didn't have to use it? I could understand your argument if it was a few weeks after the E3 when MS announced the Kinect 1 but we are weeks after the announcement of the Kinect 2.0 and we have the track record of it not being the case with games over the last 2+ years. It may be included for those that want to use it but there have never been forced Kinect features on non-100% Kinect games and just saying there will be is going off of pure speculation.

The only time anyone brought up where something like this was mandatory was for Uncharted and well last time I checked that can't be played on the X360.

I don't see how any Kinect integration will be mandatory in games. That has never been discussed and never been the case. No basis for it whatsoever.

People are reaching for straws.

We can't go by the 360.  Kinect was optional, and while it sold well, a majority of 360 owners didn't have it.  Thus developers couldn't shoehorn it into games.

With the X1 everyone has a Kinect as it's packed in, and they have to have it hooked up, so developers can require it's usage if they want since they know everyone has it.

So it could be like waggle/pointer stuff on the Wii, or Six Axis on early PS3 games, where developers for it in or make it default etc.  Or they could have wised up and realized core gamers don't like that crap and at most will make it optional in their games.  Only time will tell.  

And moot for me either way as I'll never get an X1--just finished up the last thing in my 360 backlog and will be trading that in tomorrow and be MS console free.   :D  I like discussing the game industry, so I'll still be around this forum a bit, but much less since I no longer have, or plan to have, any MS consoles.  

Again pure speculation until this time next year and we have 9+ months of games to go by. I'm sorry but track record outweighs speculation. Congrats on finishing your backlog, enjoy your PS4.

This came out of the first part of the IGN AMA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-06-you-can-earn-both-xbox-360-and-xbox-one-achievements-for-the-same-game

Again pure speculation until this time next year and we have 9+ months of games to go by. I'm sorry but track record outweighs speculation. Congrats on finishing your backlog, enjoy your PS4.

It's definitely just wait and see.

And thanks. No where near done with my backlog in general, just finished up my 360 one as all I had left was Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim and the Raam's Shadow DLC for Gears 3 since there haven't been any 360 exclusives I've wanted the past couple years since Gears 3, and I've been buying multiplatform stuff on PS3.

I have 10 or so disc games and probably 15 or so digital ones on PS3 to work through, and probably 10 or so total on 3DS as well. But I'm in no rush to clear those out. Still waffling on whether to keep my PS4 preorder given I've got plenty to play and the launch line up for both consoles is pretty bland.

i would be shocked if we see tons of non kinect only games make you use kinect for gameplay. I think we will just continue to see most games has things that can be done with kinect.  I don't think ms is putting kinect with every system so that every company makes you use it. They are doing it for the purpose of the other non gaming things the x1 does and they can do things to the system knowing everyone has kinect.

I'm really looking forward to the next gen console FPS games (CoD/BF4) will allow larger amounts of people in a single game.

Especially BF4. Since the BF series is built around large sides ducking it out

To me xbox one exclusives Forza 5 and 2014 new Halo (the reason i stay with xbox), then we got titanfall and sparks.

Multi plataform games i need battlefield 4 and that surprising ubisoft game Division .

Speaking in Ubisoft i hope new Rainbow Six in 2014 i my xbox one too 

Not only do they expect you to moderate Xbox Live when you are already paying, you have to pay if you want the use one of the main features of the device, the DVR.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/xbox-ones-dvr-feature-requires-xbox-live-gold-membership

And it only records the last 5 minutes of gameplay. I'm flabbergasted.
Eh, doesn't come off as that much of a surprise, especially since I think the PS4 is doing the same thing (having their share ability behind PS+). As much as Microsoft puts behind the paywall, I figured this was a given.

I am not surprised that the share ability is behind a paywall, but to use it all? You might want to save your clips locally.

And I'm surprised at only 5 minutes of record time when the OS is taking up 3 gigs of ram and it's supposed to have a big hard drive.

Did you not play any of the X360
games like Future Solider, Madden, Need for Speed, etc etc that had Kinect functionality but you didn't have to use it? I could understand your argument if it was a few weeks after the E3 when MS announced the Kinect 1 but we are weeks after the announcement of the Kinect 2.0 and we have the track record of it not being the case with games over the last 2+ years. It may be included for those that want to use it but there have never been forced Kinect features on non-100% Kinect games and just saying there will be is going off of pure speculation.

The only time anyone brought up where something like this was mandatory was for Uncharted and well last time I checked that can't be played on the X360.

I don't see how any Kinect integration will be mandatory in games. That has never been discussed and never been the case. No basis for it whatsoever.

People are reaching for straws.
Uh, they are already shoehorning crap like smartglass into games. Even giving certain abilities and missions only if you use a 2nd non-included with system device. Why should I have to look away from the TV and use my tablet or phone and fiddle with it to call an airstrike or go on certain missions? Because pressing a single button or going through in-game menu is hard. And Smartglass isn't even available "out of the box" like Kinect 2.0 is.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/20/dead-rising-3-has-a-story-and-missions-exclusive-to-smartglass/

Feel free to flame away and say I'm grasping at straws, but this info deals directly with next gen game(s) and the Xbox One, not Xbox 360.

And I get shit for bringing up the PS4....

------

I really don't see what the big deal is. MS made Xbox Live a success by adding in all of these features. For the PS4 you get multiplayer and some games. Don't really see how the PayWall is such a big deal when it is justified. And that's all I'm saying before I take a bunch of crap and deleted comments like last time for brining up the PS4

the people that will buy xbox one at launch and fore awhile will good chance get getting live also people it's only 60 bucks a year most of the time less then that if you can't afford 60 dollers a year you should not be buying a xbox one get over it. Im so sick of people crying about stuff being behind a pay wall. Guess what xbox live is the best service in gaming and it will stay that way.

This thread can stay open, no problem, as long as people follow the rules. No trolling, arguing, or insulting other users.

Report posts that don't follow the rules.
And I get shit for bringing up the PS4....

------

I really don't see what the big deal is. MS made Xbox Live a success by adding in all of these features. For the PS4 you get multiplayer and some games. Don't really see how the PayWall is such a big deal when it is justified. And that's all I'm saying before I take a bunch of crap and deleted comments like last time for brining up the PS4
Comments were deleted before because it fell into the trolling category started by you. Trakan never said anything about prohibiting mentioning the PS4.

Edit:

Also to keep this on topic, Microsoft have said they are mostly done with changing the specs of the system.

Q: Are there any quiet of the other parts of the hardware, eg RAM, HDD, CPU clock speed, etc. Potentially subject to change or are the specs more or less set in stone with the tweak of the GPU?

A: The changes detailed Marc Regarding the clock speed of the GPU were software changes to the OS. Building a console like Xbox One Entails years of planning, supply chain management, purchasing agreements for components, etc and is for the most part locked at the time you start to put development kits into the hands of developers.

Source: http://www.4players.de/4players.php/spielinfonews/XboxOne/34518/2133929/Xbox_One|Microsoft_ueber_Hardwareaenderungen_den_Preis_und_den_Stromverbrauch.html

the people that will buy xbox one at launch and fore awhile will good chance get getting live also people it's only 60 bucks a year most of the time less then that if you can't afford 60 dollers a year you should not be buying a xbox one get over it. Im so sick of people crying about stuff being behind a pay wall. Guess what xbox live is the best service in gaming and it will stay that way.

More like $35-40

PS+ is rarely on sale (yes I know it is right now) but live is always found at a discount

People forget that it is a year sub. As long as it goes on sale during that year is all that matters.

$35-$40 is the limit for myself and most people I know.

People forget that it is a year sub. As long as it goes on sale during that year is all that matters.

$35-$40 is the limit for myself and most people I know.
so most those people will not be playing online on ps4 seeing plus almost never goes on sale unless that changes now that its needed to play online.

i just really could not understand why since live got on xbox org that people some how bashed it left and right. People at like it's a 60 doller a month fee lol. even if you don't get it on sale what is so bad about 60 dollers a year? For the amount of entertainment i get out of xbox live every year it's nothing in my mind. If you just want to use xbox for things like netflix and other things and not much games then buy a streaming box bt heck for that price just buy xbox gold for a year.

On the topic of online services, here's how I see it...

Compare an xbox live gold user to an xbox free user, and Gold gets you alot of exclusive stuff (yes, even things behind paywalls)

Compare a ps+ user to a free user and they get access to almost all the same things. Throw in the fact that you need to pay for online next gen, and that ps+ free games won't be nearly as good, and you just don't get alot with your money. So let's say you don't play online much next gen, and the free games aren't as good...so what right? You'll just be a free user....except now you just lost access to that big backlog of ps+ games you've been getting.

Also, for families, you only need 1 gold membership on the console for everyone to have it so i'm sure that'll cut down on costs for families that are paying for multiple people. Or did they change this after the 180? Anyone know?

To me XBL definitely packs the value at $60 a year. I don't know how anyone can argue with it. The reason MS was so successful this gen was XBL. You have to show tons of value for that sub not just give a few small things away. They justify it 100%. Never thought about letting my XBL lapse. After my PS+ sub lapsed I haven't considered signing up again. To me the free games weren't enough value. I would rather save that $50 and put it towards a game I really wanted.

thing with ps plus is that most of the games you get or free if you are die hard enough to sub for ps plus good chance you already played them. and like the person above said NO WAY with it needed for online play ps plus keeps giving out the big name games they do now i think the amount of games they give away goes way down. 

I'd assume (I know, assumptions) that people choosing the Xbox One will most likely have gold already. They understand the nature of the system, and it being designed around a online experience, NOT a single player basement experience.

The only major stumbling block, that being your kids accounts, is now taken care of as gold will be shared across the system. 

Completely a non issue, especially considering the webpage where they got all that from is 2 months old and has not changed... not sure why it's making news now, other then perhaps numerous analyst predictions of the X1 doing extremely well right now. Gotta get some bad press in to stem the tide after all. 

With Gold being as cheap as $20-25 several times throughout the year, I fail to see even a money issue. Even if you miss the deals, your bound to get it for $34 somewhere during Black Friday.

God I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. The new packaging looks sweet as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4FV2wfDVeY

"Take a closer look at the Xbox One Wireless Controller"

I don't think the issue here is the cost of Xbox Live. Most of the main complaints have to do with paywalling stuff that shouldn't be paywalled.

Features Microsoft shouldn't paywall
Premium entertainment apps

• People shouldn't need to pay to "access" subscriptions they already paid for.
Internet Explorer on your TV

• Pretty self-explanatory
OneGuide (Xbox Live Gold members with Xbox One can experience a customized view of what's on TV, and see what's trending within the Xbox Live community.)

• This is like one of the main features of the Xbox One, it should be free for all Xbox One owners out of the box.
  • It's free on every other platform including the PSP and PS Vita.
Features Microsoft should Paywall.
Unrivaled multiplayer gaming
Exclusive deals and special offers
The NFL on Xbox
Game DVR

• Don't have an issue with them charging for storage in the cloud. At least allow people to record gameplay on the console's hard drive, the feature is already built into the OS.
SmartMatch

Really smart match?

Yeah I would like to have a feature that can only be utilized by paid multiplayer outside of the "PayWall"

[quote name="htz" post="10967743" timestamp="1375930640"]
You seem to have trouble reading my post and this is not the first time....[/quote]
I chose not to read them correctly. You only post in here because of your agenda.

On topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YxqmoCQSM

"Xbox One Chat Headset Close Look"

lol, okay.

Seriously the only people in here who give a shit about paying for live are you and the other folks who are getting the PS4. Who cares?

Seriously the only people in here who give a shit about paying for live are you and the other folks who are getting the PS4. Who cares?
No need to swear and get riled up over nothing. If you read my post carefully, you would have known it has nothing to do with paying for live but what I believe shouldn't be paywalled. How about you either ignore my post or discuss like an adult why my post is wrong.

No need to swear and get riled up over nothing. If you read my post carefully, you would have known it has nothing to do with paying for live but what I believe shouldn't be paywalled. How about you either ignore my post or discuss like an adult why my post is wrong.
The issue is, your post is not wrong, it's a opinion. Like most opinion's, it's not "right or wrong" opinion's, but simply opinions.

We could engage in a pretty lively debate about what should or should not be behind a paywall, but in the end the entire discussion will be pointless.. with no ones opinions changing one bit, so why bother? ;)

Let's just say we have a difference of opinion, move on and talk about other things....

Like Crackdown 3! It's a comin! Hopefully we'll hear about another new exclusive or two at Gamescom as well.

bread's done
Back