Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Age doesn't equate to interests/preferences.  

I just like playing regular games, don't do a whole lot of skype/facetime anymore (only did when in a long distance relationship), and just don't like voice command stuff very much.  I also don't watch much TV, mainly just sports so I'm not flipping channels around much anyway as I'm just turning it to one channel to watch a game or putting ESPN on on the background for highlights. Additionally, I'm not much of a multi-tasker. I like to focus on one thing at a time, especially in my free time when gaming or watching TV or movies.  So all that fast switching stuff (voice controlled or not) is mostly moot for me.

But again, all cool features for people like you who like it and who's usages of your console/home theater will benefit from it possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really excited for the other features. Watching MNF now on the old 360. Love how I watched the debates, the mars rover and the E3 presser on here as well. To me it's all I need. Esp since my PS3 pretty much was my bluray player other than with TLOU.

You and I being a year apart in age, I'm surprised the Xbox One doesn't appeal to you more. I'm not big on Kinect for games at all, probably won't ever buy a straight Kinect game, but the other stuff, like voice control over my TV channels has me salivating. I just think it's awesome to be able to channel surf hands free, or take a Skype call from my mother not having to stop playing NHL on Xbox.
The Kinect doesn't have to be on every device to do voice commands for television. In fact, I don't have tradition television and I haven't had it for years because I view it as antiquated technology. I've used voice commands for many generations on a variety of devices and while they always sound great in theory, even when it does work I've always found that traditional controls are more convenient and just work better. Truth is, I just don't care about voice commands because they don't work very well and I still view the Xbox as a gaming device. If the Kinect doesn't add anything to gaming (which it doesn't), then I have no interest in it.

We're going to see how it does, but I suspect the initial pre-orders are going to tell the story for the short term and Microsoft is going to have to cater to more people including the core gamer. That will require them have a Kinect-less option in 2014 or 2015. Even if I'm wrong, I don't see it being that big of a deal. The PS4 and X1 are going to have almost all of the same games and I should be able to pick one up for cheap at the end of the 8th Generation or into the 9th.

How many times do folks have to hear that kinect less will not be an option before they realize that kinect less is not an option?

Eh, you really don't know that for sure. With as much as Microsoft has gone back on, if sells are soft to start and don't get better, they might just take it out and have a price drop.

Never know for sure. Kinect imo is already for things not gaming and kinda pointless for things that are (well, besides stuff like dancing games).

It might also depend on who they want to target. They have cased a really large net and it seems its hard for then to really focus in on one. Which isn't a bad thing.

Honestly, its all just speculation till these things launch. if Xbox One is a huge success and they move a ton of units then yeah, they won't take it out.

It's going to be sold out. So it's going to be viewed as a success at launch regardless.

The thing with Kinect sensor is it has been heavily rumored to cost about as much as the console itself, so if MS were to remove the Kinect sensor people would expect the price to drop $200ish, when in reality MS would probably drop it $100. If anything, over time MS will have to cave in to fact that it won't be required to be plugged in if Kinect's start to bust. Actually thats my other major concern outside of the system itself, what if my Kinect breaks? How does Nintendo handle broken Wii U tablets?

I'm glad they caved in on the headset. That saves me $25 in the short run seeing as I'll probably buy a better headset in the long run when more funds free up and/or the madcatz ones go on sale/clearance somewhere down the line.

The system is one sexy beast btw.

i think we will see amazing stuff come out of kinect this time around seeing everyone has one companys will put legit money into stuff to make them for kinect. 

just amazing how people are paying these two systems of with gamestop instore credit. how do people get so much credit at that place lol when i sell games i never can save the credit always use it for pre order games. lol i will admit im thinking of selling in my ps3 and all the stuff for it fo rlike 200 and buy all that in amazong gift card to help pay for my xbox one.

The thing with Kinect sensor is it has been heavily rumored to cost about as much as the console itself, so if MS were to remove the Kinect sensor people would expect the price to drop $200ish, when in reality MS would probably drop it $100. If anything, over time MS will have to cave in to fact that it won't be required to be plugged in if Kinect's start to bust.
Another thing, if somehow they removed the kinect and dropped the xbox one to $400...what would the price of the kinect be? I could see them pricing it at $150 like the original kinect, and then people that actually want it would be paying $550.

just amazing how people are paying these two systems of with gamestop instore credit. how do people get so much credit at that place lol when i sell games i never can save the credit always use it for pre order games. lol i will admit im thinking of selling in my ps3 and all the stuff for it fo rlike 200 and buy all that in amazong gift card to help pay for my xbox one.
Yeah I got Call of Duty: Ghosts, FIFA 14, and a controller all for Xbox One just trading in 5 games, only 2 of them within a year old, and my first 360 model I wasn't using. So if people have anything better it's probably not hard to pay off the system.

Eh, you really don't know that for sure. With as much as Microsoft has gone back on, if sells are soft to start and don't get better, they might just take it out and have a price drop.

Never know for sure. Kinect imo is already for things not gaming and kinda pointless for things that are (well, besides stuff like dancing games).

It might also depend on who they want to target. They have cased a really large net and it seems its hard for then to really focus in on one. Which isn't a bad thing.

Honestly, its all just speculation till these things launch. if Xbox One is a huge success and they move a ton of units then yeah, they won't take it out.
From what I understand, Don Mattrick was a heavy advocate for the Kinect, and was responsible for bringing the Kinect to life. With him gone now, all of his previous policies seem to be reversed. Julie Larson-Green could have a different vision for the Xbox One which is probably being worked on right now.

I personally don't see Microsoft selling the console without the Kinect before launch. If the thing really does cost as much as the console, they will want to recoup that investment as much as possible. Maybe down the road when the Kinect is cheaper to produce, they will make it optional, to boost sales of the core console.

If Kinect truly costs as much as the console, wouldn't it make sense to drop it anyway? Put out a console that makes money on day one instead of losing money for two years.

Not gonna happen. They've already said Kinect cost about as much to produce as the system itself. If they separated the two and let's say priced both at $250 no one would buy Kinect
That's what's funny about all this. If they were separated, Kinect would fail. People have learned with the Wii and Kinect 1.0. This is why MS is forcing this on everyone. It would fail miserably otherwise. The argument is always "if all consoles have it, devs can make better games!" but all the people they are foisting this on don't give a shit to begin with.

If Kinect truly costs as much as the console, wouldn't it make sense to drop it anyway? Put out a console that makes money on day one instead of losing money for two years.

That's what's funny about all this. If they were separated, Kinect would fail. People have learned with the Wii and Kinect 1.0. This is why MS is forcing this on everyone. It would fail miserably otherwise. The argument is always "if all consoles have it, devs can make better games!" but all the people they are foisting this on don't give a shit to begin with.
It would only fail on cost, not on idea. The first Kinect certainly did not fail.

too bad im buying madden from amazon because of the nfl sunday ticket offer and the other games im not buying

that's the only reason I want that game.

From my perspective, I wasn't going to buy any console at launch but because of X1's anti-consumer policies I decided to get a PS4. Now that they've reversed those I'm still keeping the PS4 preorder and I'll get an X1 after it's dropped a couple hundred bucks with a Black Friday bundle deal - assuming there's a bunch of exclusives I want by that point.

In terms of Kinect, I've played some of the Kinect exclusives including kid's games with my kids and I played through the entire game of Fable the Journey. TBH, the kinect isn't that great. Even if the movements are completely perfected it would still be mostly for children under 10 (and this is probably a bit generous here). While I played through Fable the Journey and it was an okay experience, they could completely make the kinect perfect and it wouldn't solve my problems with it. First and foremost, I have to move the coffee table then afterwards move it back which gets a bit annoying. Second, for games that are not targeted at kids such as Fable, the idea of standing there and playing it doesn't sound appealing when I have other games I can sit and play. I had to force myself to play through it because I never wanted to actually do it. So for kinect, it's fine for kids but I really doubt they're going to put out any game that would be compelling enough for most adults to play it over a game that you can sit and play because when given the option to sit and play gears of war 4 or stand for gears of war kinect, most people will look at their shelf and pull out 4.

For the kids, I'm pretty sure we have enough kinect games for the Xbox 360 such as just dance Disney, once upon a monster, Sesame Street TV kinect, nat geo kinect (they don't like this one), happy action theater, and a few others. These don't require precise movements and as far as I've seen there is no compelling reason i need another (even if its improved) kinect.

So again, as I'm buying the PS4 and there doesn't seem to be any reason for me to buy an X1 at launch. After its down a couple hundred bucks maybe there will be some exclusives I want and/or a few X1 exclusive kinect games. I don't think there will be much in the way of kid's kinect games that won't also be available on the 360 for a couple of years since its got a reasonably large kinect install base and early adopters of the X1 probably won't buy up kinect only games for the X1 by the million.

How many times do folks have to hear that kinect less will not be an option before they realize that kinect less is not an option?
I pretty much agree. They're really wed to it. They'll only put out a Kinect-less option down the road if post-launch sales are really sluggish and they're really lagging behind the PS4. And only time will tell on that. And even if they were lagging behind they may stick to their guns and just try price drops, bundling in games etc.

Personally, I hope the X1 sells well, but Kinect fades as a gaming device over the course of this generation. That developers see that serious gamers don't want it in regular games, and that the dance/fitness/party game fad fades some. In my view, these motion control things should be optional accessories for people who want to play Dance Central or Zumba games or Nike Fitness etc., not forced in every console so that even people who have zero interest in every using any of the features have to pay for a pricey camera.

They already have double trade-in value. I can't see it getting better than that.
I took advantage of that deal, but it's nothing special as the just drop they base values of things before promos like that so it's mostly a marketing ploy. i.e. I got $140 ($70 base value) for my 250gb Slim 360 earlier this week. From the trade-in values thread it was getting $155 or so a couple weeks before when the promo was just an extra 50% on hardware as they dropped the base price for this double trade in value.

I was still fine with it as 250gb slims are going for around $200 with a few games included on Craigslist in my city and I got more than that with the trade in and selling the few games I still had on Amazon.

Saying that Microsoft won't change something with regard to the X1 is utterly silly at this point isn't it?

Mind you, I like Kinect myself, but if the X1 is flagging, they'll make a cheaper Kinect-less version and take out the bits of software requiring it.

Saying that Microsoft won't change something with regard to the X1 is utterly silly at this point isn't it?

Mind you, I like Kinect myself, but if the X1 is flagging, they'll make a cheaper Kinect-less version and take out the bits of software requiring it.
Probably.

But I doubt it will lag that much behind the PS4--at least in the US.

And it also depends on the software. If they've required it in some first or third party games beyond just the Kinect specific games (dance etc.), then they'd be kind of stuck with it. Though I guess those games could just be patched to work without it.

Hopefully they'll have the foresight to leave any Kinect stuff in regular games as completely optional. But who knows? The six axis and Wii waggle horseshit got shoehorned into regular games since everyone who had the system had them. Know way to know if Kinect will be similar or not. Just have to wait and see.

i doudt the x1 will do bad enough for a price drop/kinectless system. I could see it happen if this was ms first ever system but at this point in the game its the xbox name that sells. After the launce time frame the sales will come for avg people or parents buying these things for their kids and most kids have a 360.if parents are willing to buy 600 doller ipads for their kids they will not mind spending 500 bucks on a xbox one. I think both these systems will be hard to find till after xmas.

We're all just guessing, but personally I think a Kinect-less SKU is about as likely as a Wiimote-less SKU would have been for Wii. Technically there would be some games you could still play, but I really think they're building Kinect into the fabric of the whole console.

Xbox One is basically what Apple's set-top TV set strives to be, at least from Steve Jobs' comments about his vision of TV. A camera incorporated into this vision is vital to it, as is voice command.

Xbox One is basically what Apple's set-top TV set strives to be, at least from Steve Jobs' comments about his vision of TV. A camera incorporated into this vision is vital to it, as is voice command.
The only thing I worry about is that M$ usually half butts it and Apple will dive in head deep. Apple (at least used to) had the balls to sink or swim. M$ always hedges

The problem with the set top box route is it's far too expensive for people who don't game when you can get an Apple TV for $100, Roku often on sale for $50.

I'm sure they'll add voice commands to their set top boxes if it catches on at all--like Comcast/Xfinity is with their X1 DVR.

So it just appeals to households that game and want to voice control their TV stuff. Core gamers don't care about that stuff or Kinect in general for the most part. Non gamers aren't buying a $500 gaming console for the TV stuff.

So they're just left with gamers who are interested in both, and gamers who at least don't care about Kinect even if they won't use it much if at all.

Only time will tell how that strategy pans out. Especially if we start seeing a lot of voice controlled DVRs, Roku type boxes etc. come out the next couple of years.

We're all just guessing, but personally I think a Kinect-less SKU is about as likely as a Wiimote-less SKU would have been for Wii. Technically there would be some games you could still play, but I really think they're building Kinect into the fabric of the whole console.

Agreed. It's just not going to happen.

The problem with the set top box route is it's far too expensive for people who don't game when you can get an Apple TV for $100, Roku often on sale for $50.

I'm sure they'll add voice commands to their set top boxes if it catches on at all--like Comcast/Xfinity is with their X1 DVR.

So it just appeals to households that game and want to voice control their TV stuff. Core gamers don't care about that stuff or Kinect in general for the most part. Non gamers aren't buying a $500 gaming console for the TV stuff. So they're just left with gamers who are interested in both, and gamers who at least don't care about Kinect even if they won't use it much if at all.
Only time will tell how that strategy pans out. Especially if we start seeing a lot of voice controlled DVRs, Roku type boxes etc. come out the next couple of years.

I think you are a tad skewed at who the bigger group is. The core gamer is much smaller than the casual gamer group.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-digital-games-and-live-gold

"If you’re an Xbox Live Gold member, an unlimited number of people can enjoy many benefits of Xbox Live Gold while they are using your Home Xbox One console. Friends and family will simply create their own account and gamertag and be able to enjoy Xbox Live online multiplayer gaming and access to entertainment apps."

"On Xbox One if you are an Xbox Live Gold member, you will be able to go to a friend’s house and play co-op multiplayer– even if your friend is not a Gold subscriber.  Once you log in with your Xbox Live Gold account, everyone using that console can access multiplayer and entertainment apps for as long as you are logged in."

"You can even be logged in to Xbox 360 and Xbox One at the same time. Home Gold benefits are exclusively for Xbox One."

I think you are a tad skewed at who the bigger group is. The core gamer is much smaller than the casual gamer group.

Maybe so. But casuals also don't have a history of buying $500 consoles. A big part of the Wii's success was being much cheaper and thus an easier purchase for casuals, parents buying for their younger kids etc. than the competition. With Kinect 1, it sold to people who already had 360s in large numbers which is an easier price pill to swallow than buying the console and Kinect together.

Time will tell if MS gets any traction in that market with the $500 launch price which is second only to the $600 launch price of the 60gb ps3 when it comes to major console releases.

Basically they've designed a console to appeal to casuals with Kinect and all the non-gaming stuff, but priced it at a hardcore gamer, early adopter price. Have to wait and see how that works out for them.

Can someone help clear something up for me. From today's post on Xbox Wire/Major Nelson:

"Everyone in your home can share digital games with each other. Your Xbox One can become your virtual game library filled with digital games that different people in the home bought. Anyone can pick any digital game on your Xbox One, sign in with their own gamertag and play – even if the owner is not signed in."
We can already do this on 360, right? It's not a new feature, is it? I know I've purchased games on other accounts and play them on my account on my 360 without a problem. Or am I missing something here?

As for being able to share Gold, that doesn't affect me since I don't share my 360 with anyone, but I'm sure that might be a pretty big deal for others, so that's good news.

Can someone help clear something up for me. From today's post on Xbox Wire/Major Nelson:

We can already do this on 360, right? It's not a new feature, is it? I know I've purchased games on other accounts and play them on my account on my 360 without a problem. Or am I missing something here?

As for being able to share Gold, that doesn't affect me since I don't share my 360 with anyone, but I'm sure that might be a pretty big deal for others, so that's good news.
Yeah you can already do that on the 360.

It's "nothing new" but marketed as a "new thing". Not sure why :X

What I want to know is will this one Gold per console thing come to the 360 too? Because if not I'm screwed even if I get an Xbox One. We still will want our Gold for the 360, so we'll still need Family Gold, or 3 gold accounts if FG gets completely pulled. Plus we aren't getting an X1 any time soon. It's 360 and PS3 for us for quite some time to come. I hope they bring this to the 360.

Yeah you can already do that on the 360.

It's "nothing new" but marketed as a "new thing". Not sure why :X
Thanks. Maybe they're marketing it because a lot of people don't know, so it's creating goodwill with them.

I'm still leaning towards PS4 next gen, but gotta hand it to Microsoft in the marketing area. They're getting the Xbox One name out there and publishing new things about features of the Xbox One. I don't know if I've heard anything about the PS4 except "you can't turn the controller light off" since E3.

What I want to know is will this one Gold per console thing come to the 360 too? Because if not I'm screwed even if I get an Xbox One. We still will want our Gold for the 360, so we'll still need Family Gold, or 3 gold accounts if FG gets completely pulled. Plus we aren't getting an X1 any time soon. It's 360 and PS3 for us for quite some time to come. I hope they bring this to the 360.
The "Home Gold" feature is only for Xbox One. Also IGN is reporting the game sharing feature requires Xbox Live Gold.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to put many of those kind of new features on 360 (nor Sony with any new PS4 stuff to PS3) as they want people to ditch it and move to the X1 as soon as possible.

The sharing of videos behind the paywall news broke a couple days ago.  And Sony put out a statement saying recording and sharing will not be behind the PS+ paywall on PS4.  I couldn't care less as I'll never use that feature anyway--and would have Live our Plus with either consoles so the paywall stuff is moot for me.

The sharing of videos behind the paywall news broke a couple days ago. And Sony put out a statement saying recording and sharing will not be behind the PS+ paywall on PS4. I couldn't care less as I'll never use that feature anyway.
I wasn't referring to game sharing as in clips. IGN didn't specify but I think they are saying if you are a xbox live silver member who purchase games off the marketplace. You won't have the ability to share them on your home console or access them at a friend's house.

My bad, totally misread that.  Long day....

That's another feature I don't care at all about as I don't have any local friends who game anyway.

You only need one gold sub though right? That's what I bought I read. I can us my WV Matsui hold account on my 360 and my X1.

If you are an Xbox Live Gold member today, you are already set for Xbox One. Your Xbox Live Gold membership for Xbox 360 will seamlessly become an Xbox Live Gold account on your Xbox One and you will be able to enjoy Xbox Live Gold features on either console. You can even be logged in to Xbox 360 and Xbox One at the same time. Home Gold benefits are exclusively for Xbox One.

bread's done
Back