Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
till i hear a legit microsoft xbox person say that this install and fee thing is true it's rumor for me. we already had one rumor going around for months turned to be false today im sure this will follow. HOw will they know what game is already linked to someone gamertag. only possible way it could be done is that all xbox one games come with game keys just like pc games and in order to install it on another system you would have to pay like 10 bucks for another key.

[quote name='bardockkun']If your mind was made up, then pray tell what were you hoping they'd do to change your mind? For me I'm reserving judgement on the console itself until I see games that I give a shit about and we get more solid, grounded facts; but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that presentation was made from ass. It was the exact same presentation we've seen at every E3 for the past four years (new features to make it a bigger part of your living room, EA Sports game with new "physics" engine bullshit, CALL OF DUTY), but for a console they're unveiling for the first time and that was just the biggest waste of time ever.[/QUOTE]

well at least they showed the system and everything and did not do the dumb thing sony did was just show controller. REAlly sony why would anyone care about a controller omg you put a touc screen on it and a share button big woop. yes microsoft conf was not great game wise but at least we know jsut about everything about the system it self.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Unless Wired updated theirs, there was an additional piece in the linked article stating from Jon Hicks (editor at Xbox Magazine) that:[/QUOTE]

OMG wtf

[quote name='4thHorseman']Unless Wired updated theirs, there was an additional piece in the linked article stating from Jon Hicks (editor at Xbox Magazine) that:[/QUOTE]

No way. That's insane.

So I guess you will be able to add 1000 "friends". I guess this is great for all those hot girl gamers when they are doing a "let's play" video. Otherwise for me it just tell me I barely have friends that game. :(

How would that even work, technically? How would the server know that another player was using "your" particular disc, unless there's an accompanying activation code or something?

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']well at least they showed the system and everything and did not do the dumb thing sony did was just show controller. REAlly sony why would anyone care about a controller omg you put a touc screen on it and a share button big woop. yes microsoft conf was not great game wise but at least we know jsut about everything about the system it self.[/QUOTE]

Probably because the controller is the thing you interact with and the console is a box.

[quote name='whoknows']Your nephews shouldn't be playing those games anyways. They're rated M for a reason.[/QUOTE]

How could you possibly infer an age from the term "nephew"? I'm someone's nephew and I'm 30 years old. :dunce:

Sounds like it might go like this:

(All hypothetical, by the way. Simply compiling what has been said/considered so far.)
Buy Xbox One. Need an Internet connection to tie your Gamertag to the console. (For me, Rig9385.)

I buy a game, brand new. Pop the game in, and, it needs an Internet connection to go out to Microsoft's servers and confirm that Rig9385 is using Disc XYZXXX. It then installs to my HDD and I can play offline (with or without disc in tray).

I decide to sell the game on eBay. Some guy buys the game, puts it in his Xbox One for the first time, and is required to pay a "license transfer" fee. He pays, and Disc XYZXXX is now registered to him. The next time my console is connected to the network, it sees I don't own the game anymore and removes it from my console.

The one issue I see with this (hypothetical) scenario is: If he buys the game and registers it, and I have my Xbox One disconnected from the network the moment I sell the game, could I/would I still be able to play the game offline? (As long as I never take my console online again.) Or, maybe an Internet connection is required when not using a disc?

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']till i hear a legit microsoft xbox person say that this install and fee thing is true it's rumor for me. we already had one rumor going around for months turned to be false today im sure this will follow. HOw will they know what game is already linked to someone gamertag. only possible way it could be done is that all xbox one games come with game keys just like pc games and in order to install it on another system you would have to pay like 10 bucks for another key.[/QUOTE]

Because somebody high up from the Xbox magazine is reporting it now? So yes our fears are coming true. Used games will require us gamers to subsidize the cost now.

No way PS4 doesn't follow suit.

[quote name='Rig']Sounds like it might go like this:

(All hypothetical, by the way. Simply compiling what has been said/considered so far.)
Buy Xbox One. Need an Internet connection to tie your Gamertag to the console. (For me, Rig9385.)

I buy a game, brand new. Pop the game in, and, it needs an Internet connection to go out to Microsoft's servers and confirm that Rig9385 is using Disc XYZXXX. It then installs to my HDD and I can play offline (with or without disc in tray).

I decide to sell the game on eBay. Some guy buys the game, puts it in his Xbox One for the first time, and is required to pay a "license transfer" fee. He pays, and Disc XYZXXX is now registered to him. The next time my console is connected to the network, it sees I don't own the game anymore and removes it from my console.

The one issue I see with this (hypothetical) scenario is: If he buys the game and registers it, and I have my Xbox One disconnected from the network the moment I sell the game, could I/would I still be able to play the game offline? (As long as I never take my console online again.) Or, maybe an Internet connection is required when not using a disc?
[/QUOTE]

how would they tell it's your disc?

[quote name='Donut2922']Because somebody high up from the Xbox magazine is reporting it now? So yes our fears are coming true. Used games will require us gamers to subsidize the cost now.[/QUOTE]

microsoft don't evne own xbox magazine :facepalm:

xbox magazine even said two months ago that next xbox would be always online system and today that was told to be false on spike tv by high up xbox person

[quote name='willardhaven']Speaking strictly for the digital games as a layman... why not follow the method used to make these games work across the Wii/PS3/360? PS2 games run on the PS3 as PS2 Classics via emulation, wouldn't it be prudent for the creators of current gen Xbox Live Arcade and PS Network games to patch them for compatibility?

Once again I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer programming, just speaking from my past observations.[/QUOTE]
Anybody that wants to correct me or call me an idiot is free to do so, but these are my general impressions of what BC is for the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii/Wii U.

First, you can't just put all of those in the same group because they do emulation differently. PS2 Classics are just ISOs wrapped in an emulator that is customized a bit for each individual game that took a few years before it was even ready for release. PS1 Classics are done with an emulator that's just in the OS so it can play discs or the ISOs released on PSN that just has to be ported to other systems, like PSP and Vita, for them mostly all of them to work. PSP and PS1 stuff on the Vita is done really well in that they're handled in their own sandbox so that things can be self-contained and hacks don't affect the rest of the Vita, but they added lots of nice features to the emulation to allow for right stick and touch controls if you want to enable that stuff.

Wii does the same basic thing as the PS2 Classics, but that comes with the issue of licensing that slows things down a lot and creates the trickle effect that irritated many Wii owners and will irritate Wii U owners for a long time. Wii U allows Wii BC by putting it in its sandbox that means it works exactly like it did on Wii, but it also means that it doesn't have any interaction with the advanced system that it's contained in nor any of its cool features.

I assume you're talking about Xbox emulation on Xbox 360, which was more slapdash as they worked on the emulator for a few years that let you play more games without much reliability in them working great. Only a few of those games were released on Xbox Live itself for direct access, so that wasn't a very interesting thing.

I don't believe that the Xbox 360 or PS3 are going to be very easy to create emulators for, especially not in time for launch, so expecting it to be some easy process is going to lead to lots of disappointment. At best, you'll see some games ported by third-parties that want to specialize in that, which would probably be the best you could expect. Assuming Microsoft and Sony stay with similar processor next-gen and forward, it should be much easier to do the right sort of BC that will work well.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']microsoft don't evne own xbox magazine :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

You don't report on stuff like this without putting your credibility on the line. This isn't Timbo's online blog we're talking about here. lol

Jon Hicks ‏@MrJonty 57m
Again, at no point when I was talking to MS did they say there was a fee for used games. They said used games were important and supported.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']xbox magazine even said two months ago that next xbox would be always online system and today that was told to be false on spike tv by high up xbox person[/QUOTE]

It's sort of true though. You need to be online in order to register and install the game to the hard drive, and the game plays from the hard drive. After that you don't, but if you don't have an online connection, it sounds like you can't play newly purchased games on it.

Update: Microsoft reached out to Wired, which has since updated its original piece. According to the recent information, Microsoft has a plan for used games, but it isn't ready to reveal it quite yet.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's sort of true though. You need to be online in order to register and install the game to the hard drive, and the game plays from the hard drive. After that you don't, but if you don't have an online connection, it sounds like you can't play newly purchased games on it.[/QUOTE]

I would guess it's like activating Windows. What do you get? A week or so and a bunch of pop-ups asking you to authenticate your copy before it gives you the boot?

[quote name='bardockkun']If your mind was made up, then pray tell what were you hoping they'd do to change your mind? For me I'm reserving judgement on the console itself until I see games that I give a shit about and we get more solid, grounded facts; but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that presentation was made from ass. It was the exact same presentation we've seen at every E3 for the past four years (new features to make it a bigger part of your living room, EA Sports game with new "physics" engine bullshit, CALL OF DUTY), but for a console they're unveiling for the first time and that was just the biggest waste of time ever.[/QUOTE]

Denounce the whole always online requirement, Confirm whether the system will play or blocked used games, will our friends list be upgraded, show off the console, show a video montage of games (with full reveal @ E3), announce a third tier XBOX Live membership, Backwards Compatibility.

[quote name='chatgirl4']Let's give Microshit some credit, the XBOX One took a cue from Sony and decided to include a system with EVERYTHING built in, you know, what the Playstation 3 had since DAY fuckING ONE?!!

Built in HDD? Check

Built in Wifi? Check

Blu-Ray drive? Check

HDMI included? Check Check[/QUOTE]

You're missing BC., but yeah they are finding yet another way to earn that $.

[quote name='willardhaven']Fusion or Infinity would have been better names.

1/3 of Americans still don't have broadband so I am not sure it would be a good idea to leave them behind.[/QUOTE]

Infinity has a good sound but with this "all in one" approach, Fusion would have been the perfect name for this console. Hell, I would have liked "Xbox Neo".

BTW, what is the right way to abbreviate this? XBox1? XB1?

[quote name='theflicker']Past two years Spielberg has produced Terra Nova, The River, Smash, and Falling Skies for television. I've watched all of them. I wouldn't get my hopes up.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Halo has a war theme. Spielberg has worked on Band of Brothers and helped create the Metal of Honor series. With that and his experience with sci fi, I'm still optimistic about this series.

[quote name='antlp89']So this generation the Wii U caters more to the hardcore gamer than the Xbox and PS4.

I really don't give a shit about live streaming or multimedia functions nor do I want to pay for these features or have them rammed down my throat everytime I turn on a console.

The used game fee is complete bullshit.[/QUOTE]

I've been saying this about Nintendo since the Gamecube came out and I love them for it. Instead of trying to add a CD/DVD/BluRay player (something Nintendo forums constantly complain about the lack of), they focus on games and evolve technology when it helps gaming -namely backwards compatibility and HD quality viewing. For those reasons alone (I don't and have never owned the Wii), I want the Wii U over PS4 and Xbox One.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']bluray drive = better games. you enjoy have a game have five disc on 360?[/QUOTE]

I have to say the Xbox 360 plays movie DVD's better (especially in speed) than PS2 and PS3. I'm excited to see how Xbox One's blu ray player will work. I hope for E3 they say whether or not you can use Kinect to watch movies on discs like you can with Netflix.

[quote name='screwkick']Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached

Xbox's UK marketing director has said that without Kinect connected, Xbox One will not function.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached[/QUOTE]

So if the Kinect breaks, you're screwed? I know they said each system will include one in the box, but ..... wow.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Oh no. Big Brother is watching.[/QUOTE]

It's scary enough that it's going to know my family. Last thing I want to say is "Xbox, stop eyeballing my mom".

[quote name='theflicker']I would guess it's like activating Windows. What do you get? A week or so and a bunch of pop-ups asking you to authenticate your copy before it gives you the boot?[/QUOTE]

The games apparently won't run from the disc drive, so...

[quote name='KingBroly']It's sort of true though. You need to be online in order to register and install the game to the hard drive, and the game plays from the hard drive. After that you don't, but if you don't have an online connection, it sounds like you can't play newly purchased games on it.[/QUOTE]

im not going to argue about that but till i hear that from xbox guys them selfs i will think it's false. What happens if people that live out of no where can't get internet microsoft is pretty much saying screw you guys it's your problem you live in area with out internet. That is just nonsense talk. i think what is possible is that you can install a game on hardrive enter a code you get with the game and activates it on their servers so you don't need the disk all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']The games apparently won't run from the disc drive, so...[/QUOTE]

their are split rumors about that some people are saying yes some are saying no that is why i don't think anyone outside of microsoft knows what the heck they are talking about.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']That might be the worst conference I've ever seen. Besides Nintendo's 2008, of course.[/QUOTE]

if it was sony you would have said it was amazing

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']their are split rumors about that some people are saying yes some are saying no that is why i don't think anyone outside of microsoft knows what the heck they are talking about.[/QUOTE]

You know, today would've been a perfect time to clarify it. The fact that they didn't speaks volumes in my opinion.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']xbox magazine even said two months ago that next xbox would be always online system and today that was told to be false on spike tv by high up xbox person[/QUOTE]

I'm more than willing to assume his words are based on technicalities.

As in technically you don't need to be online to play a game, however you do need to be online to activate the game and link it to your gamertag. Also currently the dlc delivery model is not cloud based, and once/if/when it is switched over to that, you will require a constant online connection to receive game patches, hot fixes, dlc, etc.

[quote name='Cage017']You're missing BC., but yeah they are finding yet another way to earn that $.[/quote]

Except unlike Sony or Nintendo, MS cherry picked what games would and would not work on the XBOX 360, games like Halo and Battlefront would, but others like Capcom Classics Collection or Cold Fear would be excluded.

Last edited by a moderator:
if anything i think the rumor of having the option on the system to require online always they will let the game makers make the choice if it's online all the time. used games don't' hurt microsoft at all it helps them in the long run only ones it hurts is game companys. With that said im not sure why microsoft them selfs would require online all the time and used game fees.

[quote name='Rig']Sounds like it might go like this:

[/QUOTE]

What about this, what if the other guy that bought game from you can not play it until the save game you have on your HD is deleted?

I knew I saw that XBOX One design somewhere before...

Sony-PSX_1573262c.jpg

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']Update: Microsoft reached out to Wired, which has since updated its original piece. According to the recent information, Microsoft has a plan for used games, but it isn't ready to reveal it quite yet.[/QUOTE]

Well, having a "plan" that they aren't ready to announce certainly doesn't sound like it's going to be business as usual.

who knows ps4 might turn out to be the same way with games and used games. If this is for sure on the system you know it's because of game companys putting pressure on microsoft and being mad about used game sales getting higher and higher. What happens if ps4 and xbox one have this feature.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']again what drm stuff? they already confermed you DON"t need to be online to play a game just like every other system ever made.[/QUOTE]

Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Two big issues for me. It doesn't require an always-on connection, but it seems as if it is required of you to be connected to the internet initially to play. That's a problem for me. Great, it will let me play if I lose my connection, but by the way they said it makes it sounds like they will require you to be online in order to start-up a game.

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

Source: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

I see that as being a problem. Wired has reported that they were told that you will have to pay a fee for second hand games. If that's where Microsoft is going, then that is going to be a problem for me. Their wording also makes it sound more like a license and a move away from ownership, a big issue for me.

There is also a big problem for me in terms of beyond the console's life cycle. One day, Xbox Live for Xbox 360 and eventually XBox 1 will close. If the XB1 requires some some sort of internet connection, then that essentially makes the system a useless brick that can't play any new games that were not already registered prior to closing.

I don't sell my systems after they are "obsolete". I still have my NES, SNES, PSOne, Jaguar, ect. I still like to buy titles for those systems and I suspect that there will be games on the XB1 that I will want to play long after it is dead to the rest of the world.

I also take issue with mandatory installs, especially if Microsoft sticks with their proprietary HDD ridiculousness.

As of right now, the XB1 is not the console for me. I just don't like their philosophy with their console. I am sure I'll eventually get one, but I really don't see myself buying one at launch.

when it comes down to it every single company is out for them selfs and their wallet. sony,microsoft,nintendo do what they do that they think will make them the most money what not makes us happy.

The thing that should concern people here is the question of how much of this Xbox One stuff is going to be on PS4 as well, which it seems like it might.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

Two big issues for me. It doesn't require an always-on connection, but it seems as if it is required of you to be connected to the internet initially to play. That's a problem for me. Great, it will let me play if I lose my connection, but by the way they said it makes it sounds like they will require you to be online in order to start-up a game.

A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

I see that as being a problem. Wired has reported that they were told that you will have to pay a fee for second hand games. If that's where Microsoft is going, then that is going to be a problem for me. Their wording also makes it sound more like a license and a move away from ownership, a big issue for me.

There is also a big problem for me in terms of beyond the console's life cycle. One day, Xbox Live for Xbox 360 and eventually XBox 1 will close. If the XB1 requires some some sort of internet connection, then that essentially makes the system a useless brick that can't play any new games that were not already registered prior to closing.

I don't sell my systems after they are "obsolete". I still have my NES, SNES, PSOne, Jaguar, ect. I still like to buy titles for those systems and I suspect that there will be games on the XB1 that I will want to play long after it is dead to the rest of the world.

I also take issue with mandatory installs, especially if Microsoft sticks with their proprietary HDD ridiculousness.

As of right now, the XB1 is not the console for me. I just don't like their philosophy with their console. I am sure I'll eventually get one, but I really don't see myself buying one at launch.[/QUOTE]

um of course you need a internet connection just like 360 to do streaming of stuff and playing online and downloading products that is what he was talking about. plus how do you know sony will not do the same thing. you can game companys are putting pressure on these game system makers to stop the 2nd hand market where they lose tons of money

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']if it was sony you would have said it was amazing[/QUOTE]

No. I would have called them out for it. It made Sony's PS4 unveiling look like an Academy Award Winning movie though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Anybody that wants to correct me or call me an idiot is free to do so, but these are my general impressions of what BC is for the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii/Wii U.

First, you can't just put all of those in the same group because they do emulation differently. PS2 Classics are just ISOs wrapped in an emulator that is customized a bit for each individual game that took a few years before it was even ready for release. PS1 Classics are done with an emulator that's just in the OS so it can play discs or the ISOs released on PSN that just has to be ported to other systems, like PSP and Vita, for them mostly all of them to work. PSP and PS1 stuff on the Vita is done really well in that they're handled in their own sandbox so that things can be self-contained and hacks don't affect the rest of the Vita, but they added lots of nice features to the emulation to allow for right stick and touch controls if you want to enable that stuff.

Wii does the same basic thing as the PS2 Classics, but that comes with the issue of licensing that slows things down a lot and creates the trickle effect that irritated many Wii owners and will irritate Wii U owners for a long time. Wii U allows Wii BC by putting it in its sandbox that means it works exactly like it did on Wii, but it also means that it doesn't have any interaction with the advanced system that it's contained in nor any of its cool features.

I assume you're talking about Xbox emulation on Xbox 360, which was more slapdash as they worked on the emulator for a few years that let you play more games without much reliability in them working great. Only a few of those games were released on Xbox Live itself for direct access, so that wasn't a very interesting thing.

I don't believe that the Xbox 360 or PS3 are going to be very easy to create emulators for, especially not in time for launch, so expecting it to be some easy process is going to lead to lots of disappointment. At best, you'll see some games ported by third-parties that want to specialize in that, which would probably be the best you could expect. Assuming Microsoft and Sony stay with similar processor next-gen and forward, it should be much easier to do the right sort of BC that will work well.[/QUOTE]

My question was directed more at the fact that PS3 developed games are ported to 360 and vice-versa. Won't the Xbox One and 360 be more similar than the PS3 and 360?

It would be wise of Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) to create the "sandbox" software you mentioned in order to avoid competing with their own consoles. At least 1 generation of BC helps usher people into the new generation.

Thanks for the reply. It was interesting.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

As of right now, the XB1 is not the console for me. I just don't like their philosophy with their console. I am sure I'll eventually get one, but I really don't see myself buying one at launch.[/QUOTE]

Mandatory online goes hand in hand wih DRM and mandatory install. If you buy a game and your console is offline YOU CAN'T PLAY IT. You have to wait for your Internet to come back on. While "always online" isn't required, its required that you be connected when you first install and register your game's license. If Sony follows suit I won't be buying into this generation either at all or until the very end when lots of games are $10 on Black Friday like last November.

Timbo, if I might be so bold as to inquire, just how many green t-shirts does Microsoft reward you with for such a relentless defense of every little thing they do in the gaming industry? I'm just curious, because you were going just as hard back when Sony had their unveiling, and there are a lot of homeless people out there who probably wouldn't say no to an ugly new shirt.

That was a pretty bad conference for anyone interested in the gaming aspect of Xbox, but it's to be expected this close to E3. Pretty disappointed at the lack of Alan Wake so far.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']No. I would have called them out for it. It made Sony's PS4 unveiling look like an Academy Award Winning movie though.[/QUOTE]

to be honest i was kind of sad about ps4 conf. they showed gameplay from ip's that we seen for years now nothing new and might i add they forgot to show the system it self just a controller that we have seen since ps1 other then touch screen and the new ps move. i was not that impressed with both conf's but i was suspect that they would hold most of the good stuff for both e3's press conf's. im just happy when im at microsofts e3 conf i will not have to sit and watch the tv stuff even if i liked what i seen. it was pretty impresive the things that can be done with xbo one

[quote name='KingBroly']The thing that should concern people here is the question of how much of this Xbox One stuff is going to be on PS4 as well, which it seems like it might.[/QUOTE]

If Sony had any sense, they'd start pushing that the PS4 is open to used games with no fees. I mean push the grass roots bit for all they're worth.

"Xbox wants you to pay to play your games online, pay to play a game you borrowed from your friends, pay to watch Netflix. They just want you to pay and pay and pay."

This really is their moment to swerve and take Microsoft down, but it's more than likely that MS only made this move because of some backdoor dealings that guarantee that PS4 is also going to do it. Either that, or Microsoft has balls the size of planets.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']to be honest i was kind of sad about ps4 conf. they showed gameplay from ip's that we seen for years now nothing new and might i add they forgot to show the system it self just a controller that we have seen since ps1 other then touch screen and the new ps move[/QUOTE]

Looks like the Xbox Defense League is out in full force today. Don't you realize all we saw today was Forza 5, Madden 25, Fifa 14, and a crappy looking COD game. Oh and don't let me forget the weird live action trailer with the little girl.

[quote name='KrebStar']Timbo, if I might be so bold as to inquire, just how many green t-shirts does Microsoft reward you with for such a relentless defense of every little thing they do in the gaming industry? I'm just curious, because you were going just as hard back when Sony had their unveiling, and there are a lot of homeless people out there who probably wouldn't say no to an ugly new shirt.

That was a pretty bad conference for anyone interested in the gaming aspect of Xbox, but it's to be expected this close to E3. Pretty disappointed at the lack of Alan Wake so far.[/QUOTE]

for me when new systems are showed i want to see what the system looks like and does which in my mind microsoft did better then sony. E3 is the time you do a full out gameplay conf and all that get teh boring stuff out of the way. im a game but im also a person that uses my ps3 and 360 for alot of entertainment stuff so i enjoyed todays conf.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']Update: Microsoft reached out to Wired, which has since updated its original piece. According to the recent information, Microsoft has a plan for used games, but it isn't ready to reveal it quite yet.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. The plan is to curb as much of it as they can. The basic foundation is that they will not explicitly forbid it so they cannot be accused of "blocking used games". MS will make it so that used game buyers have to pay a fee in order to play the game. What the fee is, no one knows.

I'm gonna venture a guess that it will be higher than 10 dollars, forcing gamestop/amazon/used sellers to give less for trade ins as well as selling used games at a lower cost. Basically making new games all that much enticing or at least making a guaranteed profit from used game sales.
It is in a nutshell this is the new "online pass" but for any/all game functions, MP and SP.

also TimboSliceGB, do you have any reservations about the new XO console? Anything you believe they could have approached better?
Or is it all positive?

[quote name='Broken Cage']If Sony had any sense, they'd start pushing that the PS4 is open to used games with no fees. I mean push the grass roots bit for all they're worth.

"Xbox wants you to pay to play your games online, pay to play a game you borrowed from your friends, pay to watch Netflix. They just want you to pay and pay and pay."

This really is their moment to swerve and take Microsoft down, but it's more than likely that MS only made this move because of some backdoor dealings that guarantee that PS4 is also going to do it. Either that, or Microsoft has balls the size of planets.[/QUOTE]

again when did microsoft EVER say you have to pay a fee to play used games it sounds like games DONT have to be installed but if you want to play with no disc you have to install it and your friend cna do same thing but pay a fee to keep the game with out disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back