XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

[quote name='Thongsy']Sure they gave credit... to Engadget.

I might've considered the core, but not at that price. My brother already has a HDD I could use but for a measley thirty dollar drop, I'll wait, I can always wait.[/quote]

here's what i saw: http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25811627

[quote name='Gamespot'] Source: Pictures of advance retail flyers posted on the forums of Modojo and Cheap Ass Gamer over the weekend. [/quote]

[quote name='varsitygamer']my favorite part about this whole debacle is that microsoft (seemingly deliberately) left their cheapest model $30 more expensive than Nintendo's system... leaving the Wii as a logical choice. A $250 Core would have tempted the shit out of me (and many others, I'm sure) and made Nintendo have to reevaluate their price point (which might have been bad for microsoft, and possibly the logic behind leaving them space?).[/quote]

Nah, the two systems have proven that it's a different market for the Wii. Even at the same price point, the audience for the Wii isn't necessarily the same as for the 360.

lol i remember when i waited for the E3 "360 price drop announcement" nevercame.... here i am owning a ps3, dam well congrats for all of u who waited it out 2 years for the price to drop! haha

[quote name='dmaul1114']No. Just whatever is in stores now.

No info relased on when teh 65nm chips will start rolling out, or how (i.e. in a new box, just snuck in etc.)[/QUOTE]

The last post on page 18 included this link: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10265

The article is dated at August 1st 2007. Althought I heard from numerous people dating back to when the Elite model first came out, or was about to come out, that there would be a newer version with a new chip shipping out Janurary 2008....not real sure. After reading that article it kinda makes me want to go out and buy a 360 Elite (w/ Dead Rising & Lost Planet..). But I'll probably wait and see if any other articles on the subject say otherwise for at least a few months...

edit: after reading that GameSpot article it sounds like M$ has two reasons for droppings the price: A) counter Sony's $100 price drop & B) since they're already using a new, less expensive to manufacture chip, they can afford to drop the price (albeit in a goofy $20, 30 & $50 way). Still find it odd they never phased the Core out...

If it already wasn't solid that the Premium was going to drop to 349 I found this as a prize for Gamestop's new tiny sweepstakes.

"One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive: one (1) Xbox 360 with extra controller and an autographed volleyball signed by the three Xbox athletes: Misty May-Treanor, Dax Holdren and Stein Metzger. (Approximate retail value: $400.00) "
Premium - 350
+ controller - 50
--------------
total = 400

I'll be getting an elite when I can get it for $300 and it has the new chips and DVD drive. Maybe $350. I'd get the premium, but I like black and I'll probably be using the HDMI.

[quote name='Furashu']lol i remember when i waited for the E3 "360 price drop announcement" nevercame.... here i am owning a ps3, dam well congrats for all of u who waited it out 2 years for the price to drop! haha[/quote]

I hope you enjoy your B-titles on your PS3! err.. i mean, on your BluRay player that play video games :applause:

As for me, i'm waiting for the price drop to run at my electronic store and get a premium/elite :bouncy:

[quote name='mforge']I'm buying a Premium as soon as the price drops to play Bioshock. I'll either pony up for an in-store replacement plan, or just live with a possible 4-6 week turnaround. Either way, if it happens to ever crap out, it will obviously be replaced by the Falcon revision.[/QUOTE]

No, it won't. They're going to send you back the same broken unit, or another refurbed unit of the same model. It will be YEARS before they run out of those. I doubt it'll happen within the 3 year warranty.

[quote name='varsitygamer']my favorite part about this whole debacle is that microsoft (seemingly deliberately) left their cheapest model $30 more expensive than Nintendo's system... leaving the Wii as a logical choice. A $250 Core would have tempted the shit out of me (and many others, I'm sure) and made Nintendo have to reevaluate their price point (which might have been bad for microsoft, and possibly the logic behind leaving them space?).[/QUOTE]

The Core is a rip off and always has been. The 360 will cost $350 with the price drop, or $450 with HDMI.

That's a steal compared to the Wii. For actually only $70 more (factoring in the Wii component cables), the 360 is easily 10 times more powerful. Wii is a last gen system, and looks kind of rip-offish at $250 IMO.

[quote name='Foo228']What's this mean? http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176005.html?tag=result;title;0

They talk about 65nm chips (which were already discussed) to possible 45nm chips...[/QUOTE]

Just when that company might hypothetically transition to 45nm chips. Though they were REAAAAAAALLY slow to get to 65nm so I wouldn't be surprised if there are delays. They're basically two generations behind Intel.

[quote name='kimphamg']I hope you enjoy your B-titles on your PS3! err.. i mean, on your BluRay player that play video games :applause:[/QUOTE]

Do we really need fanboi comments? You do realize it's got tons of good first party stuff too, and most of their libraries are the same, right?

[quote name='freshzen']The last post on page 18 included this link: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10265

The article is dated at August 1st 2007. Althought I heard from numerous people dating back to when the Elite model first came out, or was about to come out, that there would be a newer version with a new chip shipping out Janurary 2008....not real sure. After reading that article it kinda makes me want to go out and buy a 360 Elite (w/ Dead Rising & Lost Planet..). But I'll probably wait and see if any other articles on the subject say otherwise for at least a few months...
[/QUOTE]

I said no info had been released. I didn't say there weren't various rumors. ;)

They're definitely being produced, but nothing but rumors as to when they'll be on store shelves and if/how we'll be able to tell.

well the longest i'm waiting to buy one is sept 20th-24th. Then it's halo 3 time with or without a falcon.

[quote name='BoggyP']well the longest i'm waiting to buy one is sept 20th-24th. Then it's halo 3 time with or without a falcon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing out the remaining inventory for those of us who are waiting :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']No, it won't. They're going to send you back the same broken unit, or another refurbed unit of the same model. It will be YEARS before they run out of those. I doubt it'll happen within the 3 year warranty.

[/QUOTE]
Microsoft does not want to keep fronting the shipping for broken consoles for the next three years. It's cheaper for them to send out a 360 that will never break as soon as possible. I guarantee you they will start replacing 90nm Premiums with Falcons as soon as they can.

I skimmed that X-Box thread, and it sounds like they still have loud drives :(

Guess it remains to be seen whether they're really Falcons, and whether the regular units will have HDMI too. The fact the Halo unit does kind of makes me think they might.

[quote name='mforge']Microsoft does not want to keep fronting the shipping for broken consoles for the next three years. It's cheaper for them to send out a 360 that will never break as soon as possible. I guarantee you they will start replacing 90nm Premiums with Falcons as soon as they can.[/QUOTE]

I won't guarantee it, but I'd be VERY shocked if Microsoft swaps out the hardware. They're going to use the current stuff if they possibly can. That's just how corporations work.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I purchased my 360 premium from EBgames and bought the replacement plan. It has really started acting up, I get at least 1-2 disc read errors per gaming session now and I plan to get it replaced. Would EBgames allow me to pay the difference of $50 to upgrad to an elite?

[quote name='Sku Rhim']Not sure if this has been discussed, but I purchased my 360 premium from EBgames and bought the replacement plan. It has really started acting up, I get at least 1-2 disc read errors per gaming session now and I plan to get it replaced. Would EBgames allow me to pay the difference of $50 to upgrad to an elite?[/QUOTE]

Post with how your replacement goes. I'm always scared that when it's an intermittent issue they'll claim it's not broken. ("Look, it powers on!")

[quote name='Wolfpup']Post with how your replacement goes. I'm always scared that when it's an intermittent issue they'll claim it's not broken. ("Look, it powers on!")[/QUOTE]

Fair enough; I'm actually on my second 360 and had the exact same problem before: regular disc read errors. EBgames was very cool with providing a replacement with no questions asked (as part of the replacement plan that I purchased).

[quote name='Sku Rhim']Fair enough; I'm actually on my second 360 and had the exact same problem before: regular disc read errors. EBgames was very cool with providing a replacement with no questions asked (as part of the replacement plan that I purchased).[/quote]

When you get a new one just "replaced" is there a way to get back downloaded content? Like UNO, worms etc? Does Microsoft remember what you downloaded and let you do it again or not?

[quote name='langhorne322']When you get a new one just "replaced" is there a way to get back downloaded content? Like UNO, worms etc? Does Microsoft remember what you downloaded and let you do it again or not?[/quote]

I've explained on so many different boards how this works, I'm getting pretty good at it :)

Here is goes: whenever you download a piece of downloadable content (XBLA games, DLC, etc.) the content gets tied to both to an internal identifier of the console (the unit itself, NOT the hard drive) AND to the Xbox Live account (gamertag) that was logged on. To either play a purchased XBLA title or use the content, you have to either be playing it on the original console OR be LOGGED IN to Live with the gamertag used to purchase the content. So, if you have downloaded a bunch of stuff, and you go and exchange your unit but keep your hard drive, you will have to be logged in to XBL in order to use your downloaded stuff.

However, if you use Microsoft's service and you send your unit back to them and they sent you back a different unit, you can call them up, complain about having to be logged in to use your stuff, and they will issue you a code for the number of ponits you have spent so far. This way, you can create a new silver account and rebuy your stuff on the new console and then you won't have to be logged in anymore to use it. The points that they give you are not limited to purchasing your original stuff, so if you have some sort of buyer's remorse over anything, you can purchase something else. Of course, the original content/game is still available when logged in with the original gamertag.

Hope that all makes sense!

[quote name='Wolfpup']
That's a steal compared to the Wii. For actually only $70 more (factoring in the Wii component cables), the 360 is easily 10 times more powerful. Wii is a last gen system, and looks kind of rip-offish at $250 IMO.

Do we really need fanboi comments?[/QUOTE]

Oh, the irony...

Back to the 360:
I'll have to check out these alleged new Elites with the 65nm chips in them. Interesting...

Did anyone else notice the blurb in the EGM rumour section that Elite's are getting the "higher-quality" components during assembly? That is, they are getting the exact same types of components as before, but ones that have been "stress tested" more than normal. Interesting - hopefully that's true and mine has those ;). If the newer 65nm models still have the same old noisy drive then I won't feel bad at all if Elite's start coming out this soon with 65nm chips. Until mine dies, of course, the only problem I have now is the drive noise and if that's going to remain the same then I see no need for the newer models (if the EGM rumor is true maybe the Elite's will be a little less prone to RRoD).

anyone know if when the price drop occurs if i can take my receipt to walmart and they give me the difference, i just bought my elite a few days ago

[quote name='devilman2075']anyone know if when the price drop occurs if i can take my receipt to walmart and they give me the difference, i just bought my elite a few days ago[/quote]

pretty sure, yea

WTF's with August 12 when all the other ads and websites say August 8? I wish MS could just tell someone if they are going to drop the price b/c that's what I am waiting for.

[quote name='Blitzkrieg']WTF's with August 12 when all the other ads and websites say August 8? I wish MS could just tell someone if they are going to drop the price b/c that's what I am waiting for.[/quote]

It may be the 8th...at this point its still unknown of a solid date. All we know is that they are advertised with the new prices on 8/12

[quote name='MC Hampster']I've explained on so many different boards how this works, I'm getting pretty good at it :)

Here is goes: whenever you download a piece of downloadable content (XBLA games, DLC, etc.) the content gets tied to both to an internal identifier of the console (the unit itself, NOT the hard drive) AND to the Xbox Live account (gamertag) that was logged on. To either play a purchased XBLA title or use the content, you have to either be playing it on the original console OR be LOGGED IN to Live with the gamertag used to purchase the content. So, if you have downloaded a bunch of stuff, and you go and exchange your unit but keep your hard drive, you will have to be logged in to XBL in order to use your downloaded stuff.

However, if you use Microsoft's service and you send your unit back to them and they sent you back a different unit, you can call them up, complain about having to be logged in to use your stuff, and they will issue you a code for the number of ponits you have spent so far. This way, you can create a new silver account and rebuy your stuff on the new console and then you won't have to be logged in anymore to use it. The points that they give you are not limited to purchasing your original stuff, so if you have some sort of buyer's remorse over anything, you can purchase something else. Of course, the original content/game is still available when logged in with the original gamertag.

Hope that all makes sense![/QUOTE]

Someone should sticky this because I had to do this recently. The process sucks. The whole thing is to prevent stealing and sharing of game files, but I fucking paid for it; I should be able to use it on whatever accounts I want on my 360. I'm pro hacking / modding in these circumstances.

[quote name='Sku Rhim']Fair enough; I'm actually on my second 360 and had the exact same problem before: regular disc read errors. EBgames was very cool with providing a replacement with no questions asked (as part of the replacement plan that I purchased).[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't you know it, my 360 wigged out last night; now it won't play any games, I get a screen that says (in multiple languages) to insert the disc into an Xbox 360 in order to play. It's as if the disc drive can't recognize a game disc; and it's happening with all of my games.

What are the chances that the price drop will be hit on the Sams Club packages by next Sunday? I'd like to pick one up by then and those packages are the best deals for what I'm wanting to get.

[quote name='FlameEye']Anyone know if the elite is coming bundled with Table Tennis, too?[/quote]

It's not.

Price Drop Confirmed for August 8th:
Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm

So the Halo 3 console is going to be $400. Minus the $20 for the Play & Charge kit, you're basically paying $30 for the HDMI port. Not bad I guess, but the Premium still seems like a better deal overall (especially since you can get Play and Charge kits for a bit cheaper, and for $50 more you can simply get an Elite with 6 times the harddrive space).

[quote name='opportunity777']Someone should sticky this because I had to do this recently. The process sucks. The whole thing is to prevent stealing and sharing of game files, but I fucking paid for it; I should be able to use it on whatever accounts I want on my 360. I'm pro hacking / modding in these circumstances.[/QUOTE]

The only problem is you aren't buying it. You never have been. You're simply leasing the rights.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The only problem is you aren't buying it. You never have been. You're simply leasing the rights.[/QUOTE]

Even given that, that you're leasing the rights, it should at least be assumed you can play it as easily/conveniently on a replacement console, especially when such replacement is usually due to some defect in the unit itself.

I'm thinking of going with the Elite. More hard drive space is always better, I don't care enough about Halo to get it colorcoded, and I like to have the option to use HDMI.

[quote name='Edge']So the Halo 3 console is going to be $400. Minus the $20 for the Play & Charge kit, you're basically paying $30 for the HDMI port. Not bad I guess, but the Premium still seems like a better deal overall (especially since you can get Play and Charge kits for a bit cheaper, and for $50 more you can simply get an Elite with 6 times the harddrive space).[/QUOTE]

Strangely, the Halo console seems like the best deal to me. I'm not willing to buy one without an HDMI port, it should be guaranteed to be a new Falcon one, and $50 seems...well not reasonable, but not terrible for an HDMI port.

I have no interest in the larger drive, since the 20GB model does fine for demos, and so far games have had fairly small save files. (And I'm not interested in renting/leasing/"buying" Arcade content).

I wonder if I should go pre-order it...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Strangely, the Halo console seems like the best deal to me. I'm not willing to buy one without an HDMI port, it should be guaranteed to be a new Falcon one, and $50 seems...well not reasonable, but not terrible for an HDMI port.

I have no interest in the larger drive, since the 20GB model does fine for demos, and so far games have had fairly small save files. (And I'm not interested in renting/leasing/"buying" Arcade content).

I wonder if I should go pre-order it...[/QUOTE]

Who says? Could very well be another way to clear out inventory.

Originally Posted by MC Hampster
I've explained on so many different boards how this works, I'm getting pretty good at it :)

Hope that all makes sense!
[quote name='opportunity777']Someone should sticky this because I had to do this recently. The process sucks. The whole thing is to prevent stealing and sharing of game files, but I fucking paid for it; I should be able to use it on whatever accounts I want on my 360. I'm pro hacking / modding in these circumstances.[/quote] NO NO NO!

You guys are wrong. That used to be true but NOT ANYMORE.

Ever since the Spring update, you can redownload your content to your Xbox 360 console to allow that console to play content offline. Just redownload the content again on your new 360, and you will be fine.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Cue the 'Has this been confirmed?' post.[/quote]

I did it once when my X360 was repaired in Feb. 2006 through another account.

I did it again when my X360 was back in April 2007 through redownloading.

Confirmed.

[quote name='SonicPower']NO NO NO!

You guys are wrong. That used to be true but NOT ANYMORE.

Ever since the Spring update, you can redownload your content to your Xbox 360 console to allow that console to play content offline. Just redownload the content again on your new 360, and you will be fine.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Cue the 'Has this been confirmed?' post.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, really. An official policy posted on Microsoft's site would be ideal.

I don't mean to act like a jerk about it, it's just that this is HUGE if it can now be activated on any 360. It makes the 360's online store fair for consumers...actually means I might want that 120GB drive too.

Remember this from a week ago?:

"When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season (a month or so after Halo 3) will see:

the core drop to $249,
The Premium will drop to $299 and
the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced."

-------

Now there's a bit of a confirmation from ArsTechnica: http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/07/360-cores-and-premiums-with-hdmi-an-inside-source-spills-the-beans

"Microsoft wants to cut through all their existing inventory of hardware. They will then quietly "soft launch" a new version of the Core and Premium hardware in late August or September that will include an HDMI port. It's also expected that this new hardware will feature the 65nm process for the CPU and quieter DVD drives. The new hardware will ship in boxes very similar to what we saw on store shelves now, but there will be a small "call out" on the box so you know you're getting a system with the HDMI connection."

They seem to have heard the same thing, and that the 65 nm, HDMI enabled Core and Premium are coming in the next few months.

Personally, I'll be waiting until then to pick one up.

bread's done
Back