Xenoblade Chronicles - Operation Rainfall Collectors Edition Box $10

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']Theres nothing limited or collectible about a box that some dudes had made at Cafe Press or kinkos.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, I heard that at conventions, you can get sketches of pop culture characters by struggling independent artists. They are LIMITED COLLECTOR'S ITEMS

Seriously, 10 years from now, no one is going to bring their Project Rainfall box to the Retro Game Roadshow at PAX for appraisal.

I donated 2 days before this topic was even posted and now I'm getting a little remorseful. I just hope the final box looks somewhat decent.

[quote name='smokeyjoey8']Theres nothing limited or collectible about a box that some dudes had made at Cafe Press or kinkos.[/QUOTE]

This.

I can get you a "very nice, very limited" box too, just send me $10. One of a kind guaranteed. Lol, the things people believe.

It pretty much comes down to whether or not you believe Pandora's Tower is already coming, or just in case it does get localized, and you want to put down $10 bucks for a piece of gaming culture history. Believing your donation will actually help the odds of a localization is an entirely different matter.

[quote name='Torusan']It pretty much comes down to whether or not you believe Pandora's Tower is already coming, or just in case it does get localized, and you want to put down $10 bucks for a piece of gaming culture history. Believing your donation will actually help the odds of a localization is an entirely different matter.[/QUOTE]

There's more to it.. like OPR taking credit for getting all this games localized just look at what they put on the box "Presented by Operation Rainfall, An Epic Collection"

[quote name='DaShaka']
If you donate $30 now, I'll mail myself to your house and slap you across the face for being such an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Joke's on you. It'd cost more than $30 to ship yourself.

Whether you think ORF made any difference, they lost any creditability they have with this stun. There is no tracking of the money they received and questionable on how they plan to spend the money

If you want to get actual fan donation and catch the publisher's attention, this is how you do it. In end it didn't work out but it really shows the fan's support.

http://anthology.starmen.net/

[quote name='Murderstorm']If you guys give me $10 I can make you a cardboard box with taped xenoblade and the last story pictures![/QUOTE]

In for 1

How is kinkos any different than whatever printer Nintendo or Atlus uses? Does it have to come with a certificate of authenticity to be worth something?

Newsflash: none of this crap is worth anything. Collecting is just amateur hoarding.

Nothing wrong with offering something like this, but for basically the same reasons posted on the thread already; I'll pass.

[quote name='renique46']Contrary to what OpR wants to think, they had little to nothing at all to do with 2 of those games being released here.[/QUOTE]

This.

1000 times this.

Scam
They don't refund your money if they do not hit the goal.
They are not affiliated with nintendo at all.
These guys, whoever they are, will not get a game published with $600.
The whois says the website is owned by Smash Digital Design California, whoever the fuck that is.

[quote name='sticnap']Scam
They don't refund your money if they do not hit the goal.
They are not affiliated with nintendo at all.
These guys, whoever they are, will not get a game published with $600.
The whois says the website is owned by Smash Digital Design California, whoever the fuck that is.[/QUOTE]

I'd be shocked if they didn't hit their quota. Especially since it was up a full day before this deal post was even made here on CAG and they reached half of the goal by then to boot.

If anything, they've probably already made it, but don't want to say it just so they can continue to receive the donations.

I think the real question here is whether or not, for each person, if we assume arguendo that the deal is legit, is it worth it anyway? For me, it isn't. Nothing collectible or unique about it to me.

If anything, going after the one from overseas would at least seem to have some novelty.

[quote name='DQT']Nope. Renique is right. I'd be willing to grant that what they did might have influenced getting these games released, but there is no ACTUAL proof that what they did actually led to their localization. Maybe Gamestop planned to do this well before the fact. Maybe someone higher up in NOA played and loved the game. Maybe the great reviews for Xenoblade changed some people's minds in NOA. Who knows?

Speaking of who knows, how do we know that Atlus and Xseed haven't already tried to get the license from Nintendo for Pandora's Tower already? What would be the point of pitching in to buy them copies then?

I find the whole thing appalling. The box itself says that these games were "presented by Operation Rainfall" front and center and calls the games "The Rainfall Collection." Someone should tell these guys that they did not in fact, make these games nor did they incur the costs to print, distribute and stock them.

Instead of giving your money to these guys you should give them to the people who you know, are actually putting Xenoblade and Last Story on the shelves.

Edit: This whole donation thing. The idea that someone would donate money to convince a for profit corporation to make a specific product is absurd to me. A donation should have a cause. "Making this cool video game I want" is not a cause.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, pretty much what I was going to write. Its honestly fucking mindblowing that these scumbags would print "Operation Rainfall Collection"
on the case.

The best part is, who in their right mind thought NOA was going to announce Xeno when they were still marketing Skyward Sword? That just isn't how Nintendo rolls in any region, let alone the U.S. They also weren't going to go 10 months with no core releases on Wii, so all the evidence was there. Outside of E3, TGS and Nintendo Direct, the real news from Ninty is their press releases about the games releasing that quarter. Its not the first time a game has simply been announced that way just months or even weeks before the release date. Happens nearly every quarter tbh, though its most often obvious games that they never bothered to announce.

Might be decent for those who were really into the whole rainfall thing, but I much prefer to keep all my games alphabatized on the shelf, so this doesn't really suit me. Thanks for posting though, OP

They have already reached their goal and are essentially allowing you to continue ordering the box for $10 - or whatever you want if you're big into the whole Operating Rainfall thing. They make it clear that their goal has been met so I don't think they are trying to rip people off.

Truthfully, I grabbed one. Not because I care that much about the cause (as many have said; they have probably had little impact on the localization, I do actually admire their effort,) but because my Wii collection is VERY small and I enjoy display boxes / steelbooks, etc. and I think it would look nice. It would probably cost me more to get a decent looking display box anyway, so it was more of a selfish reason on my part, haha.

Reading through some of the posts here (I bought before reading,) I have become a tad regretful, simply because I agree that they shouldn't be taking credit by implying that it's their collection. But it's not much different than a store making up their own action/drama/comedy/etc. DVD collections with cheesey titles.

That being said, I think some people are being a little too harsh. I understand and agree with many of the points made against this specific endeavour, but for the most part I think they're just passionate fans trying to feel like they're a part of something. A little too zealous perhaps, but at least they were honest with their goal ($600,) and what the hell; if they make a few bucks making some custom boxes for their "cause" good for them. Really though, after shipping and making them I doubt they're really profiting at all. If they end up ripping us off, then I'll be a little ticked, but I knew there was a risk involved so I won't lose sleep over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weirdest thing about this is: what group of people can't scrounge up $600 on their own, if they want to send these kits out? Is Operation Rainfall just a group of children? (Don't answer that.)

I mean, let's assume that Operation Rainfall is six people (that's an EXTREMELY low estimate, based on the amount of noise that they made with Xenoblade). They really can't spare a hundred bucks each? When I was a kid, my dad once told me, "You may think $100 is a lot of money, but it's not." He was right.

Their lack of transparency with this still makes me uncomfortable. Have they said how much they've collected so far? Shouldn't they be taking the page down as soon as they meet their goal? As far as I know, neither of these things has happened. This is an attempt to make some profit off of their 15 minutes of "fame".

edit:

So they have stated that they reached their goal (unsurprisingly; as I said, $600 isn't much).

Q. I didn’t get a chance to donate, is there still a way to get one of the collectors cases you were giving away?
A. For those who are still interested in a copy of the collector’s case, we will be keeping the option to donate open. The cases will be available to anyone that donates $10 or more towards the campaign.

Q. What will happen to any proceeds above what is required to assemble these promotional packages?
A. All donations that exceed the amount required to assemble the kits will be used to help expand the reach of our campaign. This includes covering the cost of campaign expenses such as website hosting fess, creating promotional kits for future campaign games (added after E3), and holding community events (such a contests and giveaways). Operation Rainfall currently maintains a volunteer staff of 21 individuals worldwide, and we are not for profit. This campaign will remain strictly volunteer for the foreseeable future.
Translation:

"We're gonna hold on to the extra money to campaign for whatever game that we 21 people see fit, whatever weeabu game isn't getting released in America fast enough for our liking."

Last edited by a moderator:
This is dumb. If you donate your dumb. Period. They have the nerve to call this this the operation rainfall collection. I hope they get sued.

Oh. Btw once again if you pay $10 for a photoshoped box your a fucking moron.

[quote name='Vegan']The weirdest thing about this is: what group of people can't scrounge up $600 on their own, if they want to send these kits out? Is Operation Rainfall just a group of children? (Don't answer that.)

I mean, let's assume that Operation Rainfall is six people (that's an EXTREMELY low estimate, based on the amount of noise that they made with Xenoblade). They really can't spare a hundred bucks each? When I kid, my dad once told me, "You may think $100 is a lot of money, but it's not." He was right.

Their lack of transparency with this still makes me uncomfortable. Have they said how much they've collected so far? Shouldn't they be taking the page down as soon as they meet their goal? As far as I know, neither of these things has happened. This is an attempt to make some profit off of their 15 minutes of "fame".

edit:

So they have stated that they reached their goal (unsurprisingly; as I said, $600 isn't much).

Translation:

"We're gonna hold on to the extra money to campaign for whatever game that we 21 people see fit, whatever weeabu game isn't getting released in America fast enough for our liking."[/QUOTE]

That does seem kinda shady... they're going to use the extra funds to host the website (how have they been doing this thus far?) and more titles in the future?

[quote name='Vinny']That does seem kinda shady... they're going to use the extra funds to host the website (how have they been doing this thus far?) and more titles in the future?[/QUOTE]

And if it turns out to be something you're not interested in, like a shmup starring scantily clad pre-pubescent witch girls... too bad.

[quote name='Vegan']They really can't spare a hundred bucks each? When I kid, my dad once told me, "You may think $100 is a lot of money, but it's not." He was right.[/QUOTE]

Almost costs me $100 to fill up my gas tank. fuck.

My 2 cents: I had no idea these games were linked in any way before this thread popped up. So a collection box for games that aren't of a series doesn't really fit for me. As for operation rainfall, also never heard of them, they didn't do shit to help as far as I know. Xenoblade was already localized way back in (2010?) and we got the same EU voices, no? It's just Nintendo was being stubborn about publishing over in America for some reason. A true Zelda title on Wii was taking so long, I thought for sure they'd postpone it until "next gen". They've really be slacking lately, and it's probably because they really are trying their best to play catch-up.

[quote name='Vegan']The weirdest thing about this is: what group of people can't scrounge up $600 on their own, if they want to send these kits out? Is Operation Rainfall just a group of children? (Don't answer that.)
[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I will. Yes.

Like I said before, in the world of grown-ups, businesses like Atlus and XSeed are supposed to expense costs of doing business. Like the cost of importing a $65 game to determine whether or not they want to publish it. If they do/already did so (like they should, they are RPG COMPANIES) this entire endeavor is pointless.

I'll concede I don't think these fans are bad people. But this whole thing is a really terrible idea. Really terrible.

[quote name='SMBScooby']Sounds kind of shady. If they don't get enough donation your out $10. At least through Kickstarter if not enought money is raised you get your money back.[/QUOTE]

FYI they hit the donation goal but are leaving donations open for anyome who wants the case. If you want the case I'd donate ASAP

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

[quote name='KanYozakura']Also LOL to the people who think this isn't worth it...good luck paying eBay scalper prices later.
[/QUOTE]

Kan's in for twelve!

[quote name='KanYozakura']FYI they hit the donation goal but are leaving donations open for anyone who wants the case. If you want the case I'd donate ASAP[/QUOTE]
A donation is a gift or a grant, this is not either. They are simply selling you a product for a fee.
[quote name='KanYozakura']Also LOL to the people who think this isn't worth it...good luck paying eBay scalper prices later.[/QUOTE]
If someone doesn't think it's worth $10 now, why would they think it's worth more money later?

[quote name='KanYozakura']Also LOL to the people who think this isn't worth it...good luck paying eBay scalper prices later.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express[/QUOTE]

Unlicensed and unauthorized. Totally worthless.

getting a $10 box for these games is like paying $10 to the guy who did the Mother 3 english translation for his signature on your import copy, except it would have 1000 times more meaning than this and still be meaningless.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express[/QUOTE]

Lol. So now a box with logo from a group of kids that have no association with official product, will make someone's living on ebay.
Pretty funny thought indeed

To be fair to his comments though, people on ebay buy just about anything, legit or not, so I can definitely see some idiot seller/buyer doing this. People buy fake stuff on ebay all the time and they really don't give a crap, and people also buy non-existent games that are just roms put onto a cartridge. Don't put anything past what people are willing to do on ebay.

That said, it still doesn't change what everyone has been saying about the idea behind this "project", but it can most definitely (and probably will) be sold on ebay for more money than it's worth. But that isn't really a good reason to get one of these sets.

ebay shoppers are not exactly the brightest bunch around.

Okay, so I dipped. Not because I think it's going to be worth a lot of money at some point, nor do I think the entire "send crap to the publishers" is going to change any minds. Also, I laughed at the idea of Operation Rainfall, didn't really have any plans to get Xenoblade (though I did when it became an exclusive) and wasn't planning to get Last Story (though I will now). Also, I want Pandora's Tower - it was the one of the three I wanted. I don't think Operation Rainfall did a whole lot to get these games brought over - though anyone would be dishonest if they said that Operation Rainfall's harassment didn't help.

So why did I bite? Because it is a neat token of a pretty major news story for Nintendo in 2011. Face it, virtually every gaming outlet ran stories (one way or another) regarding Operation Rainfall. $10 isn't a horrible price to pay for something neat to put on your shelf.

But then again, I'm also the fool who paid $35 for a $5 coupon. An expired coupon. Because it had the Nintendo logo on it. So I may not be the best judge.

As for those who are complaining that it's stupid to group these three games together because they have nothing in common - I'm curious - what's your thoughts on the awesome coin set that Club Nintendo Europe is putting out?

Fanmade or not, it's a JRPG exclusive accessory and a Nintendo exclusive accessory. Every time I get the "lool what retard would pay for that??/?" mentality about something the price skyrockets a few years later. PR didn't have a personal hand in bringing Xenoblade/LS to the US but they were a major game headline last year; that makes for an interesting conversation piece in my house and I'm betting that it'll be worth some coin a few years down the line.

You want to talk about throwing your money down the drain? How about that "THE ENDING OF MASS EFFECT 3 SUCKED BAAAAAAAAAAH" campaign last month?

LOL @ the idea that people will be waxing nostalgic over Project Rainfall years from now, kicking themselves that they didn't buy that box when it was was only $10.

Still not convinced on this. I'll gladly put an additional $10 on my pre-order of Last Story in order to get this if it became a pre-order bonus.

[quote name='bojay1997']Unlicensed and unauthorized. Totally worthless.[/QUOTE]

This, there are instances of bootleg merchandise going up in value but those instances are rare.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This, there are instances of bootleg merchandise going up in value but those instances are rare.[/QUOTE]

And considering there is an official box out there from NoE and HMV without the Operation Rainfall logo and probably far less people who managed to get it, certainly stateside anyhow, I wouldn't wager too much on this skyrocketing in value.

The thing is a flimsy little box. The real one I mean. I can only assume this one will be comparable or worse. Nevertheless, if you really want it then by all means get it but I don't think people should be spending $10 now assuming they will get $100 for it later.

Stranger things have happened but I certainly would not bet money on it.

PR didn't have a personal hand in bringing Xenoblade/LS to the US but they were a major game headline last year; that makes for an interesting conversation piece in my house and I'm betting that it'll be worth some coin a few years down the line.
If you're interested, I'm selling an exclusive autographed 8x10 photo of me sitting grumpily next to my PS3 from when those buttholes hacked the PSN.

[quote name='iamsmart']If you're interested, I'm selling an exclusive autographed 8x10 photo of me sitting grumpily next to my PS3 from when those buttholes hacked the PSN.[/QUOTE]

epic WOOSH

For not caring about this campaign you guys sure are spending a lot of time whining about it. I mean really, it's $10 FFS...not a huge investment with a possible return (if you care about selling it). I'm sure most of you have blown five times that on shit games that you'll never play.

I love how people keep tearing this down because it's "unauthorized" and yet suddenly when HMV makes it "official" THEN it's worth the extra $x for the import. Seriously, get over yourselves.

[quote name='ancientbarb']I don't care about my $10. Its really nothing. I just don't support bad ideas.[/QUOTE]

So if it were free and you just had to sign a petition to get the box you still wouldn't do it out of some ethical/professional/moral standard? WHATTA GUY

So here's the deal. Send me $10, and I'll send you something from my house. No guarantee what the item will be, but know that the money will go towards hope... hope that the U.S. gets five Japanese Vita titles localized by the end of June.

[quote name='KanYozakura']So if it were free and you just had to sign a petition to get the box you still wouldn't do it out of some ethical/professional/moral standard? WHATTA GUY[/QUOTE]

Free of charge and get rid of that "THE RAINFALL COLLECTION?" Then I'll take it. I see nothing wrong with it there.

[quote name='KanYozakura']epic WOOSH

For not caring about this campaign you guys sure are spending a lot of time whining about it. I mean really, it's $10 FFS...not a huge investment with a possible return (if you care about selling it). I'm sure most of you have blown five times that on shit games that you'll never play.

I love how people keep tearing this down because it's "unauthorized" and yet suddenly when HMV makes it "official" THEN it's worth the extra $x for the import. Seriously, get over yourselves.[/QUOTE]

When a store that is an authorized reseller of Nintendo is distributing an item with the actual game then yeah, I'm going to say that's a little bit more official than Joe Schmoe who has no direct connection other than saying 'Hey Nintendo, publish this game!' going to Kinkos to have them slap his logo on something.

bread's done
Back