Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10290 replies to this topic

#4021 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

Yes, it happens. A while back I downloaded Borderlands GoTY and when it was "done" it brought me to the Steam sign in. I was not pleased because at the time it was not listed as being a Steam game. More annoying was when I bought Red Alert 3 from them and it was not stated that it uses Securom :hot:

Okay, that sounds a bit like what happens when you buy some retail boxed games that require Steam. If you insert the disc and run, it sets up a directory and then prompts you to go to Steam for the actual game files. In any case it requires Steam for the vast majority of the setup and files and, of course, to actually run. Naturally, if you happen to know it uses Steam the best way is to simply take the provided key and activate it on Steam, letting it handle the rest.

#4022 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Asking just to make sure is the Magicka Collection page fully up to date? I know the collection on other sites is more updated so before deciding to redeem or not would like to make sure the listing is current.

#4023 baller75

baller75

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Does Europa Universalis III: Chronicles activate on steam?

#4024 SCMoney360

SCMoney360

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yes, it happens. A while back I downloaded Borderlands GoTY and when it was "done" it brought me to the Steam sign in. I was not pleased because at the time it was not listed as being a Steam game. More annoying was when I bought Red Alert 3 from them and it was not stated that it uses Securom :hot:

I'm just waking up and might be missing some of this story, but this more has to do with gearbox adding steam works as a patch later in the games life and amazon not updating their page.

#4025 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

More annoying was when I bought Red Alert 3 from them and it was not stated that it uses Securom :hot:

There's a list of [somewhat recent] EA games use Securom or SolidShield.
See here for those games that use either one of those two.

Some of the most recent EA games just require Origin - i.e. Mass Effect 3.

#4026 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

I'm just waking up and might be missing some of this story, but this more has to do with gearbox adding steam works as a patch later in the games life and amazon not updating their page.

I wish Gearbox would remove the extra Securom DRM from Zombie Island DLC and Mad Moxxxi DLC for Borderlands GOTY Steam version.
Steam's already DRM enough - we don't need anything on top of it!

SIDE NOTE:
Though, once you DL that Borderlands game through Steam, you can actually boot Borderland Steam version w/out running Steam.
While Steam's closed, just boot the EXE from the game folder or [better yet] make a shortcut of the game's EXE from the Steam folder.
Same games you buy directly from Steam can be run like that - i.e. many of the G4WL games.
Always good to keep that in mind, in case you have trouble booting Steam up or if Steam goes the way of the dodo [it's doubtful that Steam would go away anytime soon.]

#4027 bizarrorollins

bizarrorollins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Regarding the Plentiful Paradox Package, anyone know how to activate the DLC that comes with the Magicka Collection? According to the product page, the following is included:

Magicka Vietnam
Magicka Wizard Survival Kit
Magicka Caverns and Marshlands
Magicka Nippon
Magicka Final Frontier
Magicka Frozen Lake
Magicka Watch Tower
Magicka Robe Bundle

However, after activating the key in Steam, only the base game is available - none of the listed DLC seems to be unlocked. Thanks for any help!

I may be wrong, but: I believe since this is a Magicka collection, you should already have the required DLC w/ the game. It doesn't come with extra keys for each piece of DLC.

I haven't extensively tested it out, but I installed this on a separate Steam account last night and it automatically pulled up all of the different available suits that come with each of those dlc packs, so I would assume it added everything else as well. The only content that is not in the Magicka collection is the newest DLC which is why you're given a separate key for that addon.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4028 bizarrorollins

bizarrorollins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm thinking about picking up MLB12K. What are the thoughts on the series?

I haven't played a good baseball game since the MVP series disappeared back in 2006 and I haven't played a PC baseball game since I owned MVP 2003. I could never get into any other MLB series for on reason or another. The controls for batting and pitching felt a bit easier right from the start whereas both MLB and The Show always seemed to take a bit more effort.

Although I've been hoping for any baseball game so I might jump on this deal regardless.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4029 SCMoney360

SCMoney360

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm thinking about picking up MLB12K. What are the thoughts on the series?

I haven't played a good baseball game since the MVP series disappeared back in 2006 and I haven't played a PC baseball game since I owned MVP 2003. I could never get into any other MLB series for on reason or another. The controls for batting and pitching felt a bit easier right from the start whereas both MLB and The Show always seemed to take a bit more effort.

Although I've been hoping for any baseball game so I might jump on this deal regardless.

Haven't played MLB since 2k7, but I have never heard it was that great, but its the probably the best MLB game you can get for PC.

#4030 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Questions What is the difference between the steam edition and non steam?

How was crysis? Is that a good price? I have been debating this or xbox?

How is nba 2k12 pc version any benefit to getting it if you have the console versions?

#4031 ev768

ev768

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Questions What is the difference between the steam edition and non steam?

How was crysis? Is that a good price? I have been debating this or xbox?

How is nba 2k12 pc version any benefit to getting it if you have the console versions?

Steam edition uses/requires Steam. Nonsteam doesn't.

#4032 bobphone

bobphone

So what if I'm a gay man?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I can't believe this many people didn't have Crysis.

#4033 ajh158

ajh158

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Right-click and then choose "view downloaded content" and then the dlc tab. They should show up.

Thank you! :whee:

#4034 ajh158

ajh158

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Asking just to make sure is the Magicka Collection page fully up to date? I know the collection on other sites is more updated so before deciding to redeem or not would like to make sure the listing is current.

It appears that the Magicka Collection page is NOT up to date. Here are screenshots of the DLC (thanks Donkeymania for telling me how to find this!) that is listed after installing via the key that comes with the Plentiful Paradox bundle (note that "The stars are left" is listed - I installed that via the other key that comes with the bundle):

Posted ImagePosted Image

The above seems to line up with the Steam Magicka Collection page - you might want to take a look at that. I'm still not sure how to access some of the DLC (for example, Magicka: Vietnam is supposed to include new content beyond cosmetics, but it doesn't seem to be available from the menu, whereas "The Stars Are Left" (which I installed via the separate key) is a menu item), but I guess it is installed...

#4035 ajh158

ajh158

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I may be wrong, but: I believe since this is a Magicka collection, you should already have the required DLC w/ the game. It doesn't come with extra keys for each piece of DLC.

I haven't extensively tested it out, but I installed this on a separate Steam account last night and it automatically pulled up all of the different available suits that come with each of those dlc packs, so I would assume it added everything else as well. The only content that is not in the Magicka collection is the newest DLC which is why you're given a separate key for that addon.

Thanks for checking this out! I didn't know how to check installed DLC until Donkeymania pointed it out to me. I thought I was missing keys because when I start the game, "The Stars Are Left" (the only DLC I had a separate key for) is listed in the menu whereas none of the other DLC is listed, which is what originally made me think something was not right. I'm still not sure how to access the other DLC in the game, but it does indeed seem to be installed.

#4036 RepedeGoesWoof

RepedeGoesWoof

Woof Woof Woof

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Picked up both NBA and MLB. Was craving for some sport games to play.

666277.png

#4037 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

It appears that the Magicka Collection page is NOT up to date. Here are screenshots of the DLC (thanks Donkeymania for telling me how to find this!) that is listed after installing via the key that comes with the Plentiful Paradox bundle (note that "The stars are left" is listed - I installed that via the other key that comes with the bundle):

Posted ImagePosted Image

The above seems to line up with the Steam Magicka Collection page - you might want to take a look at that. I'm still not sure how to access some of the DLC (for example, Magicka: Vietnam is supposed to include new content beyond cosmetics, but it doesn't seem to be available from the menu, whereas "The Stars Are Left" (which I installed via the separate key) is a menu item), but I guess it is installed...

Thanks for the info.

You access Vietnam via the challenges menu. Couple of the other DLCs are there too, oouple others are PVP maps. The robes you get to choose when loading up a game.

#4038 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Good price on Crysis Maximum Edition. I paid $8 for the disc bundle a while back. Still a good price though. Pick it up if you haven't haven't it yet.

#4039 bizarrorollins

bizarrorollins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

The only DLC that adds any type of continued adventure is "The Stars are Left". The rest of the DLC will add new suits and/or new challenge levels and dueling arenas. They weren't ever very extensive addons which was why those were always <$2 each.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4040 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

I loved Crysis on 360, is the maximum edition better on PC? Mine will be able to handle it, it runs Skyrim on ultra high and Battlefield 3 on high.

#4041 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

I loved Crysis on 360, is the maximum edition better on PC? Mine will be able to handle it, it runs Skyrim on ultra high and Battlefield 3 on high.

There was a level cut from the console version. Gameplay is a bit different in that the suit in the console version acts more like it does in Crysis 2. Enemy AI is a bit off, in some ways good and in some ways bad. Console uses a checkpoint system, PC you can save whenever.

Maximum edition contains the expansion Crysis Warhead as well, which I don't believe is coming to consoles at all. The single player is not nearly as lauded as the base game (and it's kind of short) but it is still pretty good.

#4042 plus1zero

plus1zero

Turd Ferguson

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

There was a level cut from the console version. Gameplay is a bit different in that the suit in the console version acts more like it does in Crysis 2. Enemy AI is a bit off, in some ways good and in some ways bad. Console uses a checkpoint system, PC you can save whenever.

Maximum edition contains the expansion Crysis Warhead as well, which I don't believe is coming to consoles at all. The single player is not nearly as lauded as the base game (and it's kind of short) but it is still pretty good.

You can't activate on steam? DRM causes concern...I'd rather wait till the summer sale.

#4043 movac

movac

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

You can't activate on steam? DRM causes concern...I'd rather wait till the summer sale.

Crysis has the same limited-activations SecuROM DRM anywhere you buy it, including from Steam. Which makes Amazon the best place to buy it: Amazon support will give you a new key if you run out of activations. I don't believe Steam does the same (though please correct me if I'm wrong, it would be a minor load off my mind).

#4044 Noel Vermillion

Noel Vermillion

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

How's the online for NBA/MLB 2K12? I heard it was worse than the console version...

#4045 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

I can't believe this many people didn't have Crysis.

When crysis came out you needed a super high pc to run it. I didn't have a super video card at the time so I passed I have been on the fence for the 360 version but at 20 bucks I thought it was too much for a old game.

I am hoping this (maximium edition)is the original plus some expansions maybe.

#4046 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

How's the online for NBA/MLB 2K12? I heard it was worse than the console version...

NBA 2K online play is awful just like it is every year.

That said, single-player is the-lick like two broads. 8-)

MARS

#4047 bizarrorollins

bizarrorollins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

Crysis has the same limited-activations SecuROM DRM anywhere you buy it, including from Steam. Which makes Amazon the best place to buy it: Amazon support will give you a new key if you run out of activations. I don't believe Steam does the same (though please correct me if I'm wrong, it would be a minor load off my mind).

I haven't used it myself, but EA has this option available on their website. I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

Certain EA PC games with SecuROM and/or Solidshield digital rights management technology allow users to concurrently "authorize" up to a certain number of computers at the same time to play the games. Users can then play the game on any authorized computer they choose. If your EA PC game was released after May 2008 and has a machine authorization limit, you can manage your computer authorizations using EA De-Authorization Tools!

Once de-authorized, a machine "slot" will be freed up and can be re-used on another computer. De-authorization does not uninstall the game, however, so if you decide you want to re-authorize your computer later, all you have to do is re-launch the game while you are connected to the Internet.

Seems a little bit easier than having to contact support to get a new license.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4048 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

I haven't used it myself, but EA has this option available on their website. I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

Seems a little bit easier than having to contact support to get a new license.

That doesn't work for Crysis 1. Only way that I know of is to contact EA's support to get more activations, or contact Amazon to get a new key.

#4049 Luckz

Luckz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

The PC version has drastically more foliage. Crysis without trees and grass and shrubs isn't Crysis.
Then again, I didn't get very far in neither Far Cry nor Crysis due to the rather bothersome AI.

#4050 NatTheWu

NatTheWu

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

It will be able to run it, but not very well, skyrim on ultra high isn't very good and i'm assuming you're not using the texture pack. Battlefield 3 on high is ok.

Also NBA 2K12 for the PC's multiplayer might suck, but it makes up for it by the modding community, man it looks so nice.