Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10290 replies to this topic

#9241 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

Yeah, so if it's a steam code or code that activates somewhere else (not sure how Guild Wars 2 codes work for example, I think they can be activated and DLed directly from the Guild Wars 2 site), you can just give someone the code to activate.

If it requires an actual DL from Amazon then it's not so easy. If it's a gift for a friend, you could always DL the files for them, burn them to DVD as well as a text file with the serial and give it to them that way.

And if you really trust your friend, you could always just let them use your Amazon account...

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#9242 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

any opinions on inversion for $10? I sometimes like B-Tier action games like Singularity, Spec Ops, Syndicate, Bionic Commando, etc.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#9243 mcthatch

mcthatch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the help all...

#9244 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

I wish I had enough money for a gaming PC. Seeing the MP3 + GTA IV complete deal on the top of all the deals makes me envy all you PC gamers..

Just buy it for when you do have a gaming PC... or better yet, save for a gaming PC, and by the time you buy it, MP3 will be even cheaper.

I've probably spent $200+ on PC games that I can't play...

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#9245 RiseFromYourGrave

RiseFromYourGrave

Mighty Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

any opinions on inversion for $10? I sometimes like B-Tier action games like Singularity, Spec Ops, Syndicate, Bionic Commando, etc.

Reviews look far worse than any of those (~55 Metacritic). According to most of the reviewers, it's main gimmick (gravity stuff) is terrible, which reduces it to generic TPS. I haven't played it myself though. I know Bionic Commando had pretty mediocre reviews, but it became one of my favorite PS3 games XD.
Quaint Specs:
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650/Intel i7 720QM/6GB DDR3/Cool Stuff
Steam id: kiss.gandy

#9246 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

What cheap, beginners PC would you or anybody else recommend? I love Bethesda games but a PS3 just doesn't cut it, I also would play a lot of BF3 on it.

I bet you've bought like 200+ games also with those $200+. You guys have sales on good games almost everyday. when y'all had the steam summer sale, I died a little inside seeing games go for like $5.

definitely save up for a PC. its not as expensive as it sounds. For $500 you can have BF3 maxed out and running at a smooth 60fps on 1920x1080.

#9247 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

Reviews look far worse than any of those (~55 Metacritic). According to most of the reviewers, it's main gimmick (gravity stuff) is terrible, which reduces it to generic TPS. I haven't played it myself though. I know Bionic Commando had pretty mediocre reviews, but it became one of my favorite PS3 games XD.

TotalBiscuit did a WTF for it and gave it a favorable nod:

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#9248 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

What cheap, beginners PC would you or anybody else recommend? I love Bethesda games but a PS3 just doesn't cut it, I also would play a lot of BF3 on it.

I bet you've bought like 200+ games also with those $200+. You guys have sales on good games almost everyday. when y'all had the steam summer sale, I died a little inside seeing games go for like $5.

The most up to date thing I've seen is TomsHardware's $500 Gaming PC build and test. Their $1000 build is probably close to the better Gaming PCs owned by CAGs. You don't need that much to enjoy a lot of great games (probably thanks to 360/PS3 holding back developers), my 3.5 year old AMD 720 BE & GTX 260 hold up surprisingly well for a lot of recently discounted titles.

#9249 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:36 AM

lol EA thinks they are getting $59.99 for dead space 3... i guess some might pay that but like in 2011 Dead Space 2 like dropped to 36.99 within a few weeks of release.
Posted Image

#9250 nategator

nategator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

lol EA thinks they are getting $59.99 for dead space 3... i guess some might pay that but like in 2011 Dead Space 2 like dropped to 36.99 within a few weeks of release.

They always start at $60. It's how fast they drop that indicates how successful the game sold.

Spec Ops and Max Payne 3 both dropped fast. Skyrim much more slowly.

#9251 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

As mentioned for $500-$600 you can easily get a gaming PC that plays 95% of today's titles at high settings at fairly sizable resolutions. Of course you're always going to have the tech snobs who scoff at that insisting you have to play on triple monitor set ups and can't play on anything less than the new Nvidia 600 series on a rig with a PSU that provides double the wattage you actually need with liquid cooling and heat dispersing RAM, etc. etc.

#9252 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hmm no new sale today?

#9253 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hmm... I should actually look into that. Maybe 150 games for $200. :roll:

(In other news, wonder what the temp ban came from. He seemed like a friendly dude.)

uwkiCEr.gif

#9254 groz24

groz24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

GameStop / Impulse :

Posted Image Nancy Drew® Collection

There are 23 games in this bundle .

Will Amazon offer a complete ! ( 26 games ) bundle of this series ?

I'd love to see this full collection of games with Steam codes. I'd buy it in a heartbeat with no other thought necessary.

#9255 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'd love to see this full collection of games with Steam codes. I'd buy it in a heartbeat with no other thought necessary.

I'm sure there are at least 20 people who would second this.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#9256 bchampnd

bchampnd

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

As mentioned for $500-$600 you can easily get a gaming PC that plays 95% of today's titles at high settings at fairly sizable resolutions. Of course you're always going to have the tech snobs who scoff at that insisting you have to play on triple monitor set ups and can't play on anything less than the new Nvidia 600 series on a rig with a PSU that provides double the wattage you actually need with liquid cooling and heat dispersing RAM, etc. etc.

You can definitely scrap together a gaming PC for around that price but keep in mind when you read the $500 or $1000 builds, those numbers do NOT include the OS (Windows 7 is expensive), monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse. These things, particularly the OS and monitor, can easily add a few hundred dollars to your build price if you don't have extras laying around the house.

With that said, building your own PC is a great experience (even if you go through moments of wanting to kill people during the build itself) and I feel like it's a worthwhile investment of money and time. I put one together in July and, after just over a month, am sold that PC is the way to go for gaming. Graphics and performance blow consoles away and you get games on the cheap through Steam sales, Amazon sales and the indie bundle sales. Even full price games often start off $10 cheaper on PC ($49.99 on PC vs. $59.99 on console) and the price drops on games tend to occur sooner on PC than on consoles.

For the budget conscious, if you're thinking of putting together a PC right now, I'd suggest waiting until after Windows 8 comes out in October. A lot of new hardware will be released around that time which should cut down the prices on the parts you want to build a gaming PC.

#9257 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Tony had a 15 game Nancy Drew bundle for $12.50 just a monthish ago. No steam keys, but they are DRM free (or at least the 2 I've installed so far have been).

I'm not super knowledgeable about computers, but I built my first PC back in April. I wish I had blogged it as it was a tense and drama filled two days, but everything's worked out well so far (knock on particle board).

If I can bore y'all with advice let me just say don't sacrifice quality for cheap prices on the not so obvious parts. Sure, look for a good deal but go with quality first for the Case, PSU, Fans, and Thermal Paste. Also, you're going to want 2-3tb in hard drive space.

#9258 kyrhon

kyrhon

Vengeance.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Tony had a 15 game Nancy Drew bundle for $12.50 just a monthish ago. No steam keys, but they are DRM free (or at least the 2 I've installed so far have been).

I'm not super knowledgeable about computers, but I built my first PC back in April. I wish I had blogged it as it was a tense and drama filled two days, but everything's worked out well so far (knock on particle board).

If I can bore y'all with advice let me just say don't sacrifice quality for cheap prices on the not so obvious parts. Sure, look for a good deal but go with quality first for the Case, PSU, Fans, and Thermal Paste. Also, you're going to want 2-3tb in hard drive space.

In my opinion, you don't even need 2-3 tb unless you plan on downloading a TON of games at once and download a ton of movies/tv shows/music. I've been using 1.5 TB for a few years now and I'm not even close to filling those suckers up.

#9259 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

You can definitely scrap together a gaming PC for around that price but keep in mind when you read the $500 or $1000 builds, those numbers do NOT include the OS (Windows 7 is expensive), monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse. These things, particularly the OS and monitor, can easily add a few hundred dollars to your build price if you don't have extras laying around the house.

Monitor can be your HDTV you already use for your console. Speakers, again, your HDTV. Keyboard and mice are cheap if you don't buy something branded by Razer. Look for a cheap Logitech or Microsoft mouse. $10 keyboards abound. So after those objections, really all you got is OS cost. That one I'll grant you, but use the evaluation version of Windows 8 for the next three months, then buy the supposedly discounted Personal Builder edition of Windows 8 ($80 I think?).

That's the only component that's actually expensive in your list unless you decide to make things difficult for yourself and think you just HAVE to buy a new monitor. You don't. If your PC is primarily for gaming, then treat it like you would a console. Slap it into your home theater or whatever you were using for your console and call it a day. You might toss in a USB extension cable from monocable or buy a wireless kb/m, but the latter is slightly more expensive. Of course, you also forgot the obligatory Xbox 360 controller and you again can go wired for more force feedback (I got mine used at Gamestop for $20) or wireless for more money.

The drivers for the Xbox 360 controller are built into Windows Vista, 7, and 8.

See, not expensive at all. That's why no one mentions those things. We didn't forget. We just knew better.

TLDR; $0 to use your HDTV, $10 for a wired keyboard, $8-20 for a wired mouse, $0 for speakers when you use your HDTV speakers or home theater speakers, $20 for a wired Xbox 360 controller and $0 for the time being to use the evaluation copy of Windows 8 for 90 days until Windows 8 launches with its discounted pricing ($40 for upgrade, $80 for personal builder license). If you happen to have a PC, any PC running Windows XP, Vista or 7, you could buy the $40 upgrade. What's that? $78 if you're buying upgrade, $118 if you're buying a full version in the incredibly unlikely event that you're a user reading this computer forum and you lack a PC or a Windows license you could upgrade.

I wouldn't really call that expensive since it'll be the last time you buy those things if you really want to skimp. Hell, if you have an existing Windows license, you won't even need a new one of those and that's the bulk of the cost in that list. If you're typing on this forum, you probably have a keyboard and mouse already. Now it's true, PC gaming is nicer with better keyboards and mice, but honestly it's not essential for someone replacing their consoles. In many cases, I'd imagine the console gamer refugee would be the one most likely to game mostly on an Xbox 360 controller anyway so what need do they have for a high end keyboard and mouse? Bonus, you're not paying $60 per year for Xbox Live and $150 for proprietary 250/320 gb hd's for your Xbox 360.

Edited by HisDivineShadow, 29 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#9260 simpsonps121

simpsonps121

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Ack - don't listen to these guys. $500 is too much too spend.

Check out SD or other deal shopping sites. You can get it done for $300 OR LESS.

Key to make things easy - buy a MB, CPU and Memory combo. Newegg is a great place to start. But never buy unless there is a sale. Set a month to buy parts, and then begin the build process.

The biggest thing I see guys blow huge money on is graphics cards. Buy cheap, but buy smart. Find a good website that compares graphics cards. A $30 HD card will get you rolling. And then you can start slowly upgrading...

#9261 Slixshot

Slixshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Any new sale today?
Posted Image

#9262 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

You can definitely scrap together a gaming PC for around that price but keep in mind when you read the $500 or $1000 builds, those numbers do NOT include the OS (Windows 7 is expensive), monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse.

Spoiler

Good point. However I personally liked it when the guides stopped including the display, keyboard, & mouse. I personally disagree on waiting until October there are no new relevant bits of desktop hardware on the near term horizon. Nvidia & AMD have started shipping new cards in the past few months. Ivy Bride is out. AMD processors are holding steady (yesterday's HotChips talk revealed incremental architectural changes). If I am wrong, please cite an article. Based on past experience (building PCs since '94), building a PC in the October-February timeframe has it's ups and downs. Prices tend to be stagnantly high, but offset by the occasional good sale. Imo, it is better to build a PC when you are ready (have time) and after the latest generation of CPUs and GPUs have hit the market (e.g. now, the next big things on the Horizon are Intel's Haswell architecture (late Spring 2013) and Nvidia's GK110 (unknown, maybe in time for Xmas). Imo, for a gaming PC (or desktop in general), Win 8 is nothing to hold out for. Win7 will be with us for a long time.

The thing I like with the guides I cited are the are up to date (most others are well out of date) and useful to new and old hands alike. Especially useful is the benchmarking that lets you know what performance you can expect out of the hardware in the $500 build.

Spoiler

Hear, Hear! Personally I spend a good bit more than most to build a *quiet* gaming PC, but such expenses are unnecessary and don't make it go faster. For someone on a tight budget, allocating budget to the CPU & graphics card are the most important "go faster" bits. There are plenty of nice things one can add on later, e.g. pretty pretty IPS display. Another example, SSDs, while nice performance enhancers, don't add gaming frame rate. /agree on the 2 TB + drive.

Monitor can be your HDTV

Spoiler

/agree all of it

#9263 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ack - don't listen to these guys. $500 is too much too spend.

Check out SD or other deal shopping sites. You can get it done for $300 OR LESS.

Key to make things easy - buy a MB, CPU and Memory combo. Newegg is a great place to start. But never buy unless there is a sale. Set a month to buy parts, and then begin the build process.

The biggest thing I see guys blow huge money on is graphics cards. Buy cheap, but buy smart. Find a good website that compares graphics cards. A $30 HD card will get you rolling. And then you can start slowly upgrading...

Newegg is a great place to read user commentaries on hardware, but the best place to buy hardware is actually Amazon imo because of their return policy and free shipping. Especially if you're a Prime member. Newegg's return policy and restocking fees are very unfriendly to the new user.

I'd suggest aiming for a $130-ish Intel 21xx series for the 720p/1080p console refugee gamer, $100-120 Asus/Gigabyte/Asrock motherboard, the just discounted $200-ish Radeon 7850 card (Gigabyte/Sapphire), Samsung DDR3 (ecogreen, 30nm, cool and no stupid heatsinks) for $40-48, and then pick a case that suits whatever with a PSU in the 600watts range (overkill) if you don't have either. With regards to cases, I'd look at Bit Fenix or Fractal. They offer amazing cases for the money.

I don't think a console refugee needs more than a 7850/7870 though. All they'll need is 1080p for an HDTV, tops. If you're running 720p (which is still better than all the scaled gaming crap on consoles with crap textures), you can probably go sub-$200 pricing on last year's mainstream cards or a 7770. The best reason to go with something new, even if the 7770 series, is because of the performance per watt (efficiency) of newer GPU's. The older ones will produce more heat and put more demands on your case choice.

Edited by HisDivineShadow, 29 August 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#9264 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I personally think 500-750 is the sweet spot for price/performance in a gaming pc.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#9265 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Newegg is a great place to read user commentaries on hardware, but the best place to buy hardware is actually Amazon imo because of their return policy and free shipping. Especially if you're a Prime member. Newegg's return policy and restocking fees are very unfriendly to the new user.

Agreed. And once you know what you want, you might as well shop around. Newegg doesn't do any price matching either.

Frankly, Newegg is sort of the Steam of computer components -- they got to the top for a good reason and they're not a bad place but now people just assume it must be the "best" when they're really better served by shopping around. Ironically, often shopping around at Amazon... just like with Steam :D

#9266 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hear, Hear! Personally I spend a good bit more than most to build a *quiet* gaming PC, but such expenses are unnecessary and don't make it go faster.

Yea, I guess my point was don't skimp on the parts that enable the performance-parts to perform at their best for the longest amount of time. Ie. Don't get a super cheap PSU that's going to power spike your system within a year. Or buying a super cheap Case w/ pretty lights that has bad airflow.

Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, and Tomshardware are great places for reviews and buying, but check out Microcenter and Frys if you have one in your area. I saved almost $200 over the online stores by driving 70 miles(roundtrip) to a Microcenter.

P.S. Sorry to get off-topic!

#9267 KryllFood

KryllFood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm pretty sure most people know the cost of putting together a respectable gaming pc. The problem is simply peer pressure / community. The "in-thing" is to be on Xbox Live which I find completely absurd because the sales are terrible and it costs yearly to just play online.

The other problem PC has against it is that many people have tried before and were turned off by it due to troubleshooting. When you get a console + game, you stick it in and it works (with the exception of Skyrim on the PS3). That's not always guaranteed on PC. A lot of people don't want to deal w/ the headaches of a game that's giving them Error E2387x02347 every time they launch and scour the forums to find out it was an audio bug.

I love PC gaming but I could understand why people shy away from it. Personally, I wish steam had more emphasis on achievements / user identities like XBL and PSN. IMO, that's all that is missing from Steam to really put it on the same level.

#9268 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Consoles are low investment fun. They're super relaxing to use.

PCs eventually get there, but there's a lot of investment in terms of time, education, and effort.

And if you buy a lot of games, the price differential eventually evens out and/or you end up with a gigantic collection whereas on console you would've sold your old games and have jack shit to play at times. On PC I have a gigantic fucking collection, on console I never had more than 10 games at any given time.

EDIT: And I rarely go to the store to buy shit. Gas saved. No irritating Kmart employees or long lines.

#9269 RiseFromYourGrave

RiseFromYourGrave

Mighty Pirate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

TotalBiscuit did a WTF for [Inversion] and gave it a favorable nod:

Spoiler

Hmm...it looks interesting, but the weird bugs might annoy me. I'll have to wait til it drops price even more. I liked Timeshift (made by the same developer) and other critically unfavorable TPS (The Club, Dark Sector (Another supposed "Gears Clone"), Bionic Commando), so this might be up my alley...for $5 XD. I'm glad that you and jer7583 brought my attention to this game, though.
Quaint Specs:
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650/Intel i7 720QM/6GB DDR3/Cool Stuff
Steam id: kiss.gandy

#9270 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Guys get ready.

Deals for tomorrow are getting posted today.

It is a long list...

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts