Amazon PCDD $15 Walking Dead, $10 TERA ($15 CE) + BOGO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10290 replies to this topic

#1681 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'm not griping at any deals. I'm sort of looking for a worthy game to purchase alongside King's Bounty.

Besides, I'm within my rights to politely say that lots of these games don't appeal to me. I am Amazon's customer. Looking at it from a value perspective I see other games at similar prices with higher production values and more lasting appeal for me personally.

Tony's a smart dude and I think he understands I'm not raining on the parade. I'm just being a consumer pushing for the best value I can get. I totally dig what he's doing and every sale can't be a personal homerun.

#1682 crimsonassassin

crimsonassassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for replying about the lack of Steam activation. Even though I would prefer them on Steam, I may try this just to see how Amazon's downloadable games are. I have been a customer for a while but have never really used the PC downloads (outside of activating Amazon purchases on Steam). Now I just need a game to get besides the King's Bounty series.

#1683 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

When I look at that list and see (effectively) games for $2.50, I still don't see much worthwhile. Now, before anyone says "it's just $2.50", let me point at the sign at the top of the page - "CAG". For $2.50, I can buy HOARD and all of its DLC on sale and it's a quality game. A lot of 1C stuff appears to me to be borderline shovelware (no insult intended to the thread host).

Aside from, say, King's Bounty Platinum and the Penumbra collection... are there any games in this list of real value? Something that provides a unique experience? I look at games like Men of War and, though I love RTS games, can't help but notice that Dawn of War, Supreme Commander, Command & Conquer, StarCraft, and Company of Heroes sort of already have that genre covered in my library.

Right now I'm thinking that 80 1C games for $20 had the pricing just about right. Can anyone recommend something that really stands out? I'd probably give King's Bounty a try, but I have Penumbra already. I'd love to have a game on which to spend that credit if I buy!

I see no problem with the sale. I understand it's a "CAG" forum, but I think at times people expect too much. I applaud Tony for the deals and won't gripe at any deals he is providing us. Remember, your not forced to buy anything.....

As a side note, I'm thinking: Penumbra, NecroVision and possibly Kinds Bounty Collection [leaving me with 1 BOGO game I haven't yet decided on].

I'm not griping at any deals. I'm sort of looking for a worthy game to purchase alongside King's Bounty.

Besides, I'm within my rights to politely say that lots of these games don't appeal to me. I am Amazon's customer. Looking at it from a value perspective I see other games at similar prices with higher production values and more lasting appeal for me personally.

Tony's a smart dude and I think he understands I'm not raining on the parade. I'm just being a consumer pushing for the best value I can get. I totally dig what he's doing and every sale can't be a personal homerun.

Hey there,

Yeah no worries, I hear what you're saying. I've got 52 weeks to fill out a Deal of the Week calendar, and I will tell you frankly I look at 3 things primarily when I build out these deals:

1. Quality of titles in sale (determined by my personal knowledge of the industry, star reviews, critical reviews, and your feedback).
2. Current sale velocity
3. Past sales velocity when applicable

When I have an opportunity to drive sales around a huge franchise at a great price point, like last week with the BF series, then it is easier to just pick a killer price point and turn the marketing engine on. During weeks like this one, where we need to support the same goals we have for the deal of the week program, I try and put a TON of stuff from a publisher in the deal and incent people to buy more units (through a BOGO or a killer bundle).

We've seen that bundles at >$15 don't do well for us, so I shied away from that with this sale and went for a lower a la carte price for those who only want to spend $5.

If I thought we'd be able to drive more units/excitement/revenue out of a $20, 80 game bundle, even though I didn't know this ran on GG, I would have suggested it. I can tell you though, that just today's sales already outperform what we've seen a $20 bundle of all of these titles do in the past.

Just giving you some insight, I agree the $20 bundle looks like an awesome deal, and I'm sure that relatively speaking, many people purchased it. Our customers haven't shown us that this is the better route for us to take though.

**Edit** I didn't explicitly say this, so I will in my edit, I didn't take your feedback as personal or an attack. Just letting you know where we are coming from.
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#1684 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Totally on board. I passed on the gg collection last week because I didn't want to spend the money for dozens and dozens of games I'll never play. This lets me grab two (more) I want for a perfectly reasonable cost.

#1685 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hey Tony, is there any reason that people outside of the US can't buy DD games from Amazon? I just saw this post in the Gamersgate thread and I though to myself "man, that's a shame". Perhaps I could understand it if he lived in Russia or china, but he lives in Canada.

I'm sure that this has been asked before, and I'm sorry to make you answer it again, but it's a long thread (even longer if you count the first Amazon dvg thread) and I'm just not up to searching though it for the answer.

#1686 inm8num2

inm8num2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Why are people complaining? These weekly sales are great and have something for everybody.

#1687 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Why are people complaining? These weekly sales are great and have something for everybody.

I'm not complaining, but I am looking for a unique, high quality title to buy along with King's Bounty Platinum (already have Penumbra). Any suggestions?

#1688 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hey Tony, is there any reason that people outside of the US can't buy DD games from Amazon? I just saw this post in the Gamersgate thread and I though to myself "man, that's a shame". Perhaps I could understand it if he lived in Russia or china, but he lives in Canada.

I'm sure that this has been asked before, and I'm sorry to make you answer it again, but it's a long thread (even longer if you count the first Amazon dvg thread) and I'm just not up to searching though it for the answer.

I think it's just licensing issues, just like how we're not supposed to be buying steam games sold in other countries. A ton of people from the Jane Jensen kickstarter couldn't buy Gray Matter because they were overseas.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1689 CheapThomas

CheapThomas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm liking the BOGO - But I do agree with a previous poster that much of the 1C titles appear to be throw aways. However having gone through two weeks of purchase withdrawl, I'm glad I can find some stuff to buy!

Our home was a happier home today...

Any comments on world war 1 game? Also, coming from heroes V, the king's bounty units seem a bit cartoonish? Any comments from heroes fans?

On the 80+ game pack - I can only imagine the chaos in my amazon download page with that many games - it's already a bit messy with 50+ games. Tony, consider this the weekly reminder that a better game/download organizer would be appreciated! ;)

#1690 sgr76

sgr76

Talk it < Living it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

Got Kings Bounty Platinum and Konung 3. Yeah they might be meh at best but i have spent more than that on things less entertaining so what the hell.
Posted Image

#1691 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

I'm not complaining, but I am looking for a unique, high quality title to buy along with King's Bounty Platinum (already have Penumbra). Any suggestions?

I don't think you'll find anything that fits that bill for you since your expectations are a bit excessive, but games like Crystasis and Necrovision have their fans. UFO series, Space Rangers, etc. Maybe one of those will appeal to you.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#1692 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

I think it's just licensing issues, just like how we're not supposed to be buying steam games sold in other countries. A ton of people from the Jane Jensen kickstarter couldn't buy Gray Matter because they were overseas.

Yeah the whole international thing is really complicated. I think people also need to realize that Amazon is setup differently than Steam or Gamersgate and that the Amazon stores in various countries really are like wholly separate divisions. I think what ultimately needs to happen is not for Amazon US to sell to other countries but rather for Amazon UK and Amazon Germany etc to get their own digital downloads stores going if they feel there is enough of a demand for that in those countries. I would assume it's something they have and will continue to look into and that when they feel it's worth it and they have the infrastructure for such a thing they'll do it.

I know a lot of people get really upset over this issue and feel personally offended like their country is intentionally being excluded, but there are different laws and regulations about who can publish and sell what in each individual country. Just because you have internet access doesn't necessarily mean that any store in the world is setup to sell all their items, virtual or otherwise, to you. Even in the cases where digital download stores do sell to multiple countries then people frequently get angry over price differences and why games in country X cost more than country Y.

I don't presume to have all the answers but I know the whole thing is really complicated and I don't think it's as simple as some store not wanting to sell to a particular country or intentionally wanted to charge them more etc.

#1693 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Nothing in here for me...I'd get King's Bounty but I've nothing to pair it with, I'm kicking myself for picking up Penumbra collection last month. :(

Can anyone point out something else in this list with a metacritic about a 70-75?

Thanks anyway, though, Tony!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1694 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

^^^ I was having that problem too until I found out King's Bounty's expansions have DRM. Made my decision easy.

#1695 crimsonassassin

crimsonassassin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Anyone have some suggestions for a second title after the King's Bounty games? I usually prefer games I can use a controller on (yeah, I know....PC gaming uses keyboard + mouse). Something RPGish and good would be worth looking into as would packages of games but I am not sure what.

#1696 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

so besides deals on existing games, (which tbh these lower budget games dont interest some of us who are more tight on time than money) when are you planning on adding preorders on downloads?
Posted Image

#1697 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

I don't think you'll find anything that fits that bill for you since your expectations are a bit excessive, but games like Crystasis and Necrovision have their fans. UFO series, Space Rangers, etc. Maybe one of those will appeal to you.

I don't think they are excessive at all! I'm simply looking for a game as highly regarded as King's Bounty or Penumbra. Don't forget that we're paying ten times the price per game you paid with that bundle. ;)

All the same, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those a bit further.

#1698 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

so besides deals on existing games, (which tbh these lower budget games dont interest some of us who are more tight on time than money) when are you planning on adding preorders on downloads?

Check the OP?

http://www.amazon.co..._rd_i=979455011
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#1699 stopEntei

stopEntei

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Tomb Raider will require Steam? Seriously, this is getting out of hand.
I guess we're stuck with CD Projekt for non-DRM discussions.

#1700 deletion

deletion

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

any recommendations on the 1C games. Never heard of any of 'em. Good deal, just don't know what I'm getting into. thanks!
-----
Hey CAGs, Swagbucks is your friend!
I get at least 5 Bucks in Amazon giftcards a week.
Doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up!

Posted Image

#1701 Flame Killa

Flame Killa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Why would you think an EA game would activate on Steam if you didn't buy it there?

Again, EA and Steam :argue: NOT BFFs here.

I'm not sure why people persist in thinking EA games bought outside of Steam will activate there but it will never, ever happen short of one company taking over the other.

I actually meant Origin. I'm well aware that EA and Steam don't get along.

#1702 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

any recommendations on the 1C games. Never heard of any of 'em. Good deal, just don't know what I'm getting into. thanks!

I know King's Bounty is a quality turn-based strategy game, and the Platinum is the whole 9, but I'm not sure about a 2nd game.

#1703 renhoelder

renhoelder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

@Tony

Gamestop is having a sale any chance of pricematching some of the titles?

#1704 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

@Tony

I second this notion, would much rather purchase from Amazon if I could. The crusader king II dlcs are very tempting :D

#1705 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Tomb Raider will require Steam? Seriously, this is getting out of hand.
I guess we're stuck with CD Projekt for non-DRM discussions.

It's being published by Square Eidos so at this point they (like THQ, Sega, 2k and Bethesda) are doing all new releases Steamworks unless some major policy change happens.

Personally, I prefer it that way as I want all my games in one place where I have them and organized and updated but this gives me the flexibility to get that and still be able to buy the game elsewhere.

Besides which all games by major publishers have some form of DRM at this point. Even CD Projekt had to ship the 1.0 retail of The Witcher 2 with DRM. If you don't get Steamworks then the alternatives, in my opinion, are much worse. Origin, Games For Windows Live, Ubisoft always on DRM, TAGES, Securom. Those for me are all DO NOT WANTs so I personally will happily take Steamworks.

Given the fiasco that is CD Projekt's patching process, I also personally will not be buying any future games from them outside of Steam.

I know STEAMWORKS! vs NO DRM! is like the TASTES GREAT! no LESS FILLING! back and forth and half the people prefer one and half the other so this whole thing probably won't ever get anywhere, but I think we all also have to realistically accept that most major publishers aren't going to release new big budget games with no DRM whatsoever right upon initial release.

#1706 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

@Tony

I second this notion, would much rather purchase from Amazon if I could. The crusader king II dlcs are very tempting :D

Our system is chugging along on this, but some of these might be a few hours-tomorrow before thy actually kick in.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#1707 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

The promotion details page says:

To redeem your reward, purchase the digital download version of any of the applicable Ubisoft games on sale from April 15-April 21 on this page: www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000716161 and the credit will be automatically applied. The promotional credit must be used by May 21, 2012

but the promo is still valid, as of my purchase 15 minutes ago.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#1708 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

The promotion details page says:

but the promo is still valid, as of my purchase 15 minutes ago.

Bah thanks dude sorry fixing now.
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#1709 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Also,

I'm going through and matching the Steam deals right now. Note to those looking at Serious Sam, we have these titles slotted for a Deal of the Week in May, and the prices will be better than these.

Just letting you know.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#1710 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Our system is chugging along on this, but some of these might be a few hours-tomorrow before thy actually kick in.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll hold off and buy them on Amazon.