XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7393 replies to this topic

#6781 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

K I spoiler'd the Dance Central and Rock Band sales info. I have no idea where all these phantom spaces keep coming from, they're impossible to delete out.

To be honest, I'd like to see this thread closed and someone start and maintain a new one, non-wikified. Not that this one isn't fine, but it's easier when one person has full control of it, and can take suggestions from the rest of the group.

I know the 2 guys that I'd nominate, but they both already maintain other threads on this site and I'm sure they're not dying to take another one under their wing.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#6782 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

K I spoiler'd the Dance Central and Rock Band sales info. I have no idea where all these phantom spaces keep coming from, they're impossible to delete out.

To be honest, I'd like to see this thread closed and someone start and maintain a new one, non-wikified. Not that this one isn't fine, but it's easier when one person has full control of it, and can take suggestions from the rest of the group. I know the 2 guys that I'd nominate, but they both already maintain other threads on this site and I'm sure they're not dying to take another one under their wing.

I don't think the wiki formula isn't working, but Tuesday's are just a little hectic to keep up, and unless you're careful & check the OP history just before you hit "post", then a lot of helpful work by well-intentioned folks goes down the toilet.

I totally agree on adding "spoiler" tags to the music sale, as well as price drops, since the thread's focus is all about limited-time sales. What made limelight022's edit a little strange was spoiler'ing all the sections, which then forced the user to wonder which sections were most pertinent, so that was a little weird.

I don't claim to have editorial control, since I'm just like the rest of everyone. I merely want the OP to be "complete" on sales, and give first-timers a welcome & easy-to-understand place to find sales to increase CAG's readership. Apologies if I overstepped or went a little crazy. :D

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#6783 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

I don't think that the wiki part is bad. In fact, I like that part. What I don't like is how the thread has become a megaconglomerate for everything on Xbox Live. People come into this thread to discuss anything and everything related to Xbox Live when the thread is supposed to be about Xbox Live Deals of the Week. This thread is an unwieldy mess. People just camp out in this thread. I guess that's fine for those with the dedication but for other people, we shouldn't have to go through pages of info just to find pertinent info.

With the way the thread is, it should just be called Xbox Live.

#6784 Sanges99

Sanges99

And Ya Know That's Right

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Sheesh, Reddjoey hasn't been involved with the OP since July--if the second post including Rewards info is any indicator, maybe a simple link to the Xbox Live Rewards thread would be more efficient?--that makes me a little sad.
25u01gl.gif

!!! CAG DISTRESS SIGNAL !!!
Fellow CAGs hear my desperate plea! I started a GoFundMe to help cover emergency vet bills,
please see
the link for details. Even donating a dollar would be a help to pay my massive debt.

#6785 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I don't think the wiki formula isn't working, but Tuesday's are just a little hectic to keep up, and unless you're careful & check the OP history just before you hit "post", then a lot of helpful work by well-intentioned folks goes down the toilet.

I totally agree on adding "spoiler" tags to the music sale, as well as price drops, since the thread's focus is all about limited-time sales. What made limelight022's edit a little strange was spoiler'ing all the sections, which then forced the user to wonder which sections were most pertinent, so that was a little weird.

I don't claim to have editorial control, since I'm just like the rest of everyone. I merely want the OP to be "complete" on sales, and give first-timers a welcome & easy-to-understand place to find sales to increase CAG's readership. Apologies if I overstepped or went a little crazy. :D

Ya my only concern is that there's too much in the OP, and it scares away the first-timers and casual checkers. I don't think many of us regulars even use the OP. When you come to this thread everyday, you pretty much catch every sale going on.

And you're find, I appreciate you and Bobbytastic keeping the OP up to date. And part of the blame for the jumbled OP actually rests with MS. There are literally 7 or 8 sales going on right now (DotW, Activision Sale, Family Deal, Kinect Central Deal, Rock Band Sale, Dance Central Sale, Scratch n Match Deals, and Chain Reaction). It's obviously a good thing that we're having so many concurrent sales, but putting them in a good, straight order isn't exactly easy.

I don't think that the wiki part is bad. In fact, I like that part. What I don't like is how the thread has become a megaconglomerate for everything on Xbox Live. People come into this thread to discuss anything and everything related to Xbox Live when the thread is supposed to be about Xbox Live Deals of the Week. This thread is an unwieldy mess. People just camp out in this thread. I guess that's fine for those with the dedication but for other people, we shouldn't have to go through pages of info just to find pertinent info.

With the way the thread is, it should just be called Xbox Live.

You're not wrong, but please point me to one thread on the main deals page that actually stays on topic of the mentioned deal and that's it? I don't think CAG would be nearly as popular (and therefore Cheapy wouldn't be bringing in nearly as much money) if it wasn't for the community here.

#6786 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

You're not wrong, but please point me to one thread on the main deals page that actually stays on topic of the mentioned deal and that's it?

That's true. But if you had a separate thread, that would limit any potential tangents. Because a separate thread would be more specific and have a smaller number of posts anyway. So even if a thread went off tangent by 20 posts, you'd still only have a couple of pages of posts.

But in a mega thread like this Xbox Live thread, that's hundreds of pages of posts. Fine for those who live in this thread. Not for the rest of us.

People in this thread are talking about the Midway compilation. Shouldn't that be in a Midway compilation thread? There's a perfectly fine one in the Xbox forum. Is the compilation an XBL sale?

I think I even saw a post about what size hard drive to buy.

And I see a lot of posts for the Xbox Live Rewards. We do have a rewards thread as well.

The way I think this thread should be set up is all things on Xbox Live that are on sale this week. Just because this week is heavy on sales doesn't mean we shouldn't include them. If it's an Xbox Live deal that's on for a temporary time, regardless of whether it's officially a "deal of the week" or "activision sale of the week" or whatever, it should be listed in the OP.

#6787 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

Has anyone played Matt Hazard? It's been over two years and no sale, is it worth $15?

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#6788 Antarael Dulacre

Antarael Dulacre

Royal Dhampire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Has anyone played Matt Hazard? It's been over two years and no sale, is it worth $15?

I did and only have a few achievements left to do...it was a fun game (more fun as I've expected for 5 bucks) I would say it's worth $10 but 15 seems a bit pricey hum

EDIT: Ignore my comment I may have confused the game with eat lead starring matt hazard LOL

#6789 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Played it. Got bored after about 15 minutes. Probably played another 2 hours. Regretted the wasted time. I could have been napping or, even better, watching youtube videos of pretty ladies napping. That's what I'm into now.

It suffers from a lot of the same problems as Comic Jumper, but without any of the redeeming qualities. It's dull, doesn't do anything that other, similar games do, and like the retail Matt Hazard games is sometimes made worse by calling attention to its own poor gameplay choices as jokes.

edit: Raptr confirms that I played for 2 hours. Apparently that was enough to get me the achievement for completing the game in single player mode. I don't know why I did that. It's one of only three achievements so it may not be the game for you if points are your thing.

#6790 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ya my only concern is that there's too much in the OP, and it scares away the first-timers and casual checkers. I don't think many of us regulars even use the OP. When you come to this thread everyday, you pretty much catch every sale going on.

And you're find, I appreciate you and Bobbytastic keeping the OP up to date. And part of the blame for the jumbled OP actually rests with MS. There are literally 7 or 8 sales going on right now (DotW, Activision Sale, Family Deal, Kinect Central Deal, Rock Band Sale, Dance Central Sale, Scratch n Match Deals, and Chain Reaction). It's obviously a good thing that we're having so many concurrent sales, but putting them in a good, straight order isn't exactly easy.

This is the thing that bugs me about the OP. It's far too busy and it seems like everything is given its own section when it doesn't really need to be. Maybe it's just my style of listing that sort of stuff that is getting in the way, but I'd just like to see a simple list of all the XBLA and Games on Demand games on sale, DLC, and other stuff with maybe just the Sales & Specials+ App deals being the only thing that needs to be separate. Since there's no one single post cataloging the new set of deals that have been added, I try to check the OP for the full scoop before being overwhelmed with colored text and a million sections. It probably doesn't help that Microsoft doesn't seem to do a good job of labeling things as sales or permanent price drops since I see everybody discussing that frequently when something new pops up.

It's probably a result of this being a Wiki thread, so everything is shoved into the one post since nobody can use the rest of the OP. Unless Joey's going to be coming back to man the thread full time, it may be time for somebody to step up and take the reigns to provide some stability and a singular vision about what the OP should be. There's no sense trying to keep this thread alive when it needs to be spread out over the first few posts so that all of that info can breathe a bit.

#6791 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

This is the thing that bugs me about the OP. It's far too busy and it seems like everything is given its own section when it doesn't really need to be. Maybe it's just my style of listing that sort of stuff that is getting in the way, but I'd just like to see a simple list of all the XBLA and Games on Demand games on sale, DLC, and other stuff with maybe just the Sales & Specials+ App deals being the only thing that needs to be separate. Since there's no one single post cataloging the new set of deals that have been added, I try to check the OP for the full scoop before being overwhelmed with colored text and a million sections. It probably doesn't help that Microsoft doesn't seem to do a good job of labeling things as sales or permanent price drops since I see everybody discussing that frequently when something new pops up.

It's probably a result of this being a Wiki thread, so everything is shoved into the one post since nobody can use the rest of the OP. Unless Joey's going to be coming back to man the thread full time, it may be time for somebody to step up and take the reigns to provide some stability and a singular vision about what the OP should be. There's no sense trying to keep this thread alive when it needs to be spread out over the first few posts so that all of that info can breathe a bit.

+1 to everything you said.

#6792 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ridiculous, campy tone. Duke Nukem feel to it. Worth a rental but not a purchase at $15.

76561198014930049.png

#6793 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

I think the only things that need spoiler tags are the music game stuff.

Spoiler

Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#6794 silverrat23

silverrat23

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

For any Australians out there, Transformers: WFC is 640MSP on the Australian marketplace.

#6795 emwearz

emwearz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

For any Australians out there, Transformers: WFC is 640MSP on the Australian marketplace.

Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Can confirm that its 640MSP, just purchased it. Thanks again.

Edited by emwearz, 04 October 2012 - 12:47 AM.

Sign up to GreenManGaming using this link, spend $2 and you will be credited with $2 to your account!
http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=gusasuku

#6796 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

its good that we get a game on demand this cheap, even cheaper than america. usually we would be paying a little bit more

#6797 LondonGaijin

LondonGaijin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

Has anyone been brave enough to download the Australian WFC offer, for use on another profile/region (does it work?)?

Also Trading:
>>>

Spoiler
<<<

#6798 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

Aw man, I just made my first accidental purchase on Xbox Live. I was checking out the Toy Soldiers Invasion DLC 'cause I was planning to buy it next week. I absentmindedly clicked through to purchase while distracted by the presidential debate. I feel like such an idiot right now. I guess at the least I'm only out 200 points.

#6799 emwearz

emwearz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

its good that we get a game on demand this cheap, even cheaper than america. usually we would be paying a little bit more

Yeah, Prototype is $20+ for us at the moment.
Sign up to GreenManGaming using this link, spend $2 and you will be credited with $2 to your account!
http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=gusasuku

#6800 masterd919

masterd919

Games, games and more games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Ok so here's a question that I'll probably get some heat for...

Are the MW2 DLC's worth it at all? Which one or both?

I hated MW3 and recently stumbled upon my old MW2 disc. 600 points a pop is horrible, sure, but the MW1 maps seem like they could be great on MW2. Considering that MW1 is hacked to smithereens these days, I'd love to play those maps again in MW2....

Anyone?

#6801 yamayama

yamayama

• • Professional Beta Tester • • (give me free stuff)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I agree that there needs to be a new OP. RJ is busy with school.

The thread title doesn't need to be changed every week. Sometimes things come up and people are busy with real life. Keep it simple, like "Xbox Live Weekly Deals" or something and leave the first couple pages wikified. Or can you only wiki the frist post?

«‘-•·÷·- ¥ámá -·÷·•-`»

#6802 vantheman

vantheman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

Ok so here's a question that I'll probably get some heat for...

Are the MW2 DLC's worth it at all? Which one or both?

I hated MW3 and recently stumbled upon my old MW2 disc. 600 points a pop is horrible, sure, but the MW1 maps seem like they could be great on MW2. Considering that MW1 is hacked to smithereens these days, I'd love to play those maps again in MW2....

Anyone?

I only own the stimulus pack, and it has crash, if you liked that map from cod 4. Can't say anything about the resurgence pack though.

#6803 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Aw man, I just made my first accidental purchase on Xbox Live. I was checking out the Toy Soldiers Invasion DLC 'cause I was planning to buy it next week. I absentmindedly clicked through to purchase while distracted by the presidential debate. I feel like such an idiot right now. I guess at the least I'm only out 200 points.

LOL. I had that moment while in a full party awhile back. I was browsing the XBLIG section and downloading a bunch of demos but accidentally bought one of the worst titles ever! And here's the kicker... It was one of the $3 XBLIG games... *pain*

DO NOT BUY ANGRY WIZARDS!!!! ***WARNING*** DO NOT BUY ANGRY WIZARDS!!!

so much fail in this title, I don't know where to begin.. how about you can't save your game progress? how about having one of the worst combat systems ever? how about being as boring as possible? how about having huge maps that take forever to traverse??? and did I say that you can't save your progress while traversing this vast distance?

#6804 silverrat23

silverrat23

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Has anyone been brave enough to download the Australian WFC offer, for use on another profile/region (does it work?)?

You can create an Australian account and buy AUS-only MSP (mind you, they are WAY too expensive). Load that into the account and then buy Transformers. After downloading it, you should be able to switch to your main account and play it from there.

#6805 billydeewilliams

billydeewilliams

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

Damn a complete ninja turtle costume for your avatar is 640 if you want the weapon too. Wish xbox would go down in price for avatar stuff. The nfl helmets are pretty cool tho

#6806 xbox_man

xbox_man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

You can create an Australian account and buy AUS-only MSP (mind you, they are WAY too expensive). Load that into the account and then buy Transformers. After downloading it, you should be able to switch to your main account and play it from there.

yeah our points over here are expensive. bing points do work too. if anybody has a hungarian account already i think i remember that it was also 640 msp. but i dont know if the transformers game is region locked.

Edited by xbox_man, 04 October 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#6807 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

I agree that there needs to be a new OP. RJ is busy with school. The thread title doesn't need to be changed every week. Sometimes things come up and people are busy with real life. Keep it simple, like "Xbox Live Weekly Deals" or something and leave the first couple pages wikified. Or can you only wiki the frist post?

Agreed on the thread title, but I think the OP is working fine ... as long as we keep the non-sale items (like permanent markdowns) either collapsed and/or trim them quicker. I personally don't need to separate GoD from XBLA/DLC, except for what's GOLD-only vs. open to everyone, since not everyone would be eligible. I'd even collapse/trim the "mystery wheel" in the S&S+ app, as long as it only produces avatar fluff.

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#6808 yamayama

yamayama

• • Professional Beta Tester • • (give me free stuff)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Agreed on the thread title, but I think the OP is working fine ... as long as we keep the non-sale items (like permanent markdowns) either collapsed and/or trim them quicker. I personally don't need to separate GoD from XBLA/DLC, except for what's GOLD-only vs. open to everyone, since not everyone would be eligible. I'd even collapse/trim the "mystery wheel" in the S&S+ app, as long as it only produces avatar fluff.

Yup. Totally agree. Price drops are not deals and paid avatar items are worthless lol...

Also XBLA deal related, something weird happend to me. I had the VF5 demo download already and went to buy the full version. Usually that will unlock a XBLA game instantly. But upon adding it to my download queue, it started to download the entire 1.91 GB download. So I think I'm going to delete the demo then restart my download. :confused:

«‘-•·÷·- ¥ámá -·÷·•-`»

#6809 Esphyrian

Esphyrian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

As someone who is sorta a newbie to this thread, I have to say I think the OP is just fine. I like the color coding and I'm able to find what I need quickly. I think the Dance Central and Rock Band stuff should be put behind spoiler tags. Simply b/c they're a large list of items on their own, and not everyone who owns a 360 has those peripherals (like me, I'm guitar and kinect free atm).

I also like the fact that it's a wiki where one sole person is not in charge. It can be quite frustrating when a great thread gets started and then the OP disappears after 6 mos, or is too busy to keep up w/ it on a daily basis. Though it's good to have a few ppl keeping up w/ the updates, a structure needs to be maintained, and some consensus among them of who is going to do what. Cuz as the saying goes too many cooks spoil the soup, and I'm starting to see a little bit of that here w/in the last couple of days.

For those advocating for a new thread, keep in mind this is a year long thread and the year is almost up. Why go through the trouble of that? I've looked at the links for the previous years' threads and the OPs pretty much retained the same format. Again as someone new to it, I didn't find it that hard to get what I needed from them.

Just my 2¢

#6810 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think the updaters are doing great on the OP. I still check this thread for all deals and price drops.