XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7393 replies to this topic

#1711 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

I'd buy Prince of Persia if I didn't already have it. Otherwise thats a pretty bad list.

#1712 m3talst0rm

m3talst0rm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

I would stay far away from Viva Pinata Party Animals...It is really frustrating for both me and my kids. The characters are very difficult to control during races and most of the mini games are more tedious than fun. Not fun.

m3talst0rm17.png

#1713 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

I downloaded the wrong Viva Pinata demo. I'm a moron. (in my defense, the one I needed to download is stupidly listed under the letter "P")

I'm also a sucker for $5 games. I'm afraid I might end up picking up quite a few. The demos for Dark Void and Blazing Angels seemed pretty competent.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1714 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

The demos for Dark Void and Blazing Angels seemed pretty competent.

Really? The Dark Void demo? Did you play to the end, because I'll agree that the first minute is quite fun, but it becomes repetitive and shit within a couple of minutes.

Seems that the demo is quite representative from the Metacritic score listed above. too.

#1715 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

Really? The Dark Void demo? Did you play to the end, because I'll agree that the first minute is quite fun, but it becomes repetitive and shit within a couple of minutes.

Seems that the demo is quite representative from the Metacritic score listed above. too.

I played through the part where I had to land and go through that little base. I think that was the end, but not positive.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1716 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I looked back a bit and I didn't see anybody post the GoD "deals" prices at Gamestop, so I decided I'd make a comparison list. Bolded titles are cheaper at Gamestop. Italicized titles are more expensive.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - $3
Perfect Dark Zero - $2

Kameo - $5
Conan - $5
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WW II - $8
Bionic Commando - $5
Dark Void - $6
Surf's up - $13
FaceBreaker - $7
Bolt - $15 (What the heck? Really?)
Prince of Persia - $5
SEGA Superstars Tennis - $2 standalone / $3 with XBLA compilation disk
Viva Pinata Party Animals - $10
Rockstar Table Tennis - $3
Bomberman Act: Zero - $4
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - $18 (I don't even)
Virtua Tennis 2009 - $7
Open Season - $10
Meet the Robinsons - $8
Tornado Outbreak - $8

#1717 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:06 AM

I'm getting Prince of Persia to replay it I guess (such a good game)

And maybe Kameo... I never really gave that game a fair shot.

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#1718 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

Just want to put a nod out to Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: It's a really fun game that most real gamers overlooked since it's a kids-movie game. For $5/400msp Cloudy is priced perfectly for those of us in this thread who normally bite on most XBLA games on sale for that price. It doesn't hurt that it's a simple & fun 1,000-pointer.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#1719 jdawgg76

jdawgg76

RIP Stan the Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm also a sucker for $5 games. I'm afraid I might end up picking up quite a few. The demos for Dark Void and Blazing Angels seemed pretty competent.

I played the first two levels of Dark Void (the first is a flying level/second is on foot) and found it to be pretty fun. Couldn't understand the livid hate for it, maybe it becomes evident in later levels. Blazing Angels is pretty good. GRAW is a great game as long as you like tactical shooters like that. Rockstar Table Tennis is worth it. Kameo was a decent game. Bionic Commando is maybe worth $5. Prince of Persia was a great game. The Virtua Tennis games are usually good so I imagine 2009 is a good game as long as you don't have another VT. GRAW and PoP are the gems of this sale with Blazing Angels, RS TT and Conan a little behind them. Problem is as CAGs most of us have had multiple opportunities to get these games at close to these prices as Jackie's GS list points out.

Just tried three demos, VP party animals, blazing angels, and Conan. Party animals is like a generic Mario party so that is a maybe for me now. Blazing angels is definitely worth $5. And Conan is not getting any money from me.I'll also get PoP, only played the retail copy once then got rid of it. Kind of want to play that again.

My only gripe with Conan was the use of magical items going directly against canon and the end boss was kind of a pain in a cheap way. Otherwise, I had a blast with it. Everybody seems to piss on it and say God of War is better, but I still haven't played the GoW series. I've gotten them used and tested the discs and not seen in that short time how much better they are. I don't see why Conan can't be good even if God of War is better (which I'm sure it is, btw), GoW is a top tier game after all.
Posted Image
Waiting for: WRC 2010 and WRC 2 and WRC 3:cry:
Now playing:
:360: Forza Horizon, Halo Series
:wii: Collecting Dust
:ps3: Collecting Dust
:pc: Diablo 3, Walking Dead
When I'm not watching Grimm and Firefly on Hulu.

#1720 SonicXtreme

SonicXtreme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Act Zero's Achievements are incredibly grindy, yes. Don't expect to ever get 1,000 from it.

Did you know I have the largest Bomberman collection in the world? I wish I could find the pictures of my collection from Hudson's site, but it shut down.

Anyway, I played this game quite a lot because the gameplay is actually quite good (arguably better than the Bomberman Live games). But there are tons of obvious problems including the lack of local multiplayer and horrendous load times that show Hudson Japan simply didn't care about this one. Single-player is really not bad as long as you have the time for it (~2 hours). I don't know if I'd recommend Act Zero - maybe if you want to play a more obscure game and you're kind of forgiving. Otherwise, Bomberman Live Battlefest is a much better buy if only because the load times are way better.

hey you're a good person to ask this then; what's the best bomberman game on xbla? do any of them still have a community? i'd like to play some online bomberman but i'm not sure which one i should get. do either of them still have online communities? either support more local players than the other (do the games let you bring 4 local people online?)

#1721 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

hey you're a good person to ask this then; what's the best bomberman game on xbla? do any of them still have a community? i'd like to play some online bomberman but i'm not sure which one i should get. do either of them still have online communities? either support more local players than the other (do the games let you bring 4 local people online?)

For multiplayer go with bomberman Live Battlefest

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1722 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

I looked back a bit and I didn't see anybody post the GoD "deals" prices at Gamestop

That's disc and they're used so.......ick

Editor in chief at PanicGamer.com
Steam ID: TheRealJaysonguy
We're looking for people who want to review games, interested? Email: jobs@panicgamer.com

#1723 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've heard that Major Nelson has personally licked every single hard drive at the data centers that serve up the Games on Demand stuff. Pick your poison.

#1724 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

heres all the GoD games ranked by metacritic score:

86 - Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
81 - Rockstar Table Tennis
81 - Prince of Persia
81 - Perfect Dark Zero
79 - Kameo

Why do I have a feeling Table Tennis and Perfect Dark get their high ratings because of their newness at the time? I'd rag on Kameo but as I understand it that is a love/hate game. Table Tennis can't be that good, right?
Posted Image

#1725 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Why do I have a feeling Table Tennis and Perfect Dark get their high ratings because of their newness at the time? I'd rag on Kameo but as I understand it that is a love/hate game. Table Tennis can't be that good, right?

Perfect Dark Zero I would agree with you. It's been years since I played it and while it was ok, it just seemed meh. The multiplayer wasn't bad though and as grindy as those achievements are, you can play with bots if you wish.

As for Table Tennis, I remember the difficulty being a bit BS (unless I was just bad at it), but it was actually a good game in the "how it was made" sense.

card.png

#1726 MrNEWZ

MrNEWZ

Newzbytes~!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I would stay far away from Viva Pinata Party Animals...It is really frustrating for both me and my kids. The characters are very difficult to control during races and most of the mini games are more tedious than fun. Not fun.

While I still haven't 100%'d it, I'm quite a fan of the Viva Pinata stuff. While it was no mid-numbered Mario Party, it's a fun Party Game most of the time. I liked it.

It's waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than Hail To The Chimp.
-Michael

Posted Image

#1727 PlowK1NG

PlowK1NG

Banned from MSstore.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you're interested in PoP, there are Like New copies on Amazon for less than $5.

#1728 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Did you know I have the largest Bomberman collection in the world? I wish I could find the pictures of my collection from Hudson's site, but it shut down.

In the world? That's pretty awesome, I'd definitely like to see pics.

I've bought arcade titles for the same prices just to get 200...

I'm in the same boat. I know I don't need any of these games, but I've definitely spent $5 on unnecessary XBLA games that only have 200 GS. 1000 for each of these makes me feel like I should just go for a lot of them, the ones I find decent anyway.

Used >>>>>>>>> Digital, in my book anyway.

Oh yeah, you definitely have to take older review scores with a grain of salt. If Perfect Dark Zero came out today my guess is it's Metacritic rating would be in the 50s.

#1729 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

I was just going to pick up PoP, but I'm really coming around on Tornado Outbreak. I honestly had no idea what this game was until this sale. I just checked wikipedia and it was released at the end of a month where I moved across the country and didn't have internet access for part of it. I was very busy at the time and must have completely missed all coverage/marketing/etc as a result, which isn't surprising considering it seems like a title that didn't get a lot of it.

kN4kBSmhZe0

#1730 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I was just going to pick up PoP, but I'm really coming around on Tornado Outbreak. I honestly had no idea what this game was until this sale. I just checked wikipedia and it was released at the end of a month where I moved across the country and didn't have internet access for part of it. I was very busy at the time and must have completely missed all coverage/marketing/etc as a result, which isn't surprising considering it seems like a title that didn't get a lot of it.

kN4kBSmhZe0

That video sells me on it. I'm down!
Posted Image

#1731 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yeah Tornado Outbreak is pretty cool. I totally overlooked it as well, and was watching a Game Informer video about 6 months ago when one of the editors randomly mentioned it. Did a little bit of Googling and ended up getting it from Amazon for $7 or $8.

Also, in regards to the GoD sale, I think I'm gonna wait until the morning of the 26th (day after the sale ends) and see what Major Nelson announces as the upcoming DotW's. If it's garbage like usual, I may grab anywhere from 2-6 games from the GoD sale, assuming they're still on sale, which they should be. And if for some reason they're not, no huge loss.

#1732 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yeah Tornado Outbreak is pretty cool. I totally overlooked it as well, and was watching a Game Informer video about 6 months ago when one of the editors randomly mentioned it. Did a little bit of Googling and ended up getting it from Amazon for $7 or $8.

Also, in regards to the GoD sale, I think I'm gonna wait until the morning of the 26th (day after the sale ends) and see what Major Nelson announces as the upcoming DotW's. If it's garbage like usual, I may grab anywhere from 2-6 games from the GoD sale, assuming they're still on sale, which they should be. And if for some reason they're not, no huge loss.

Honestly I might do that aswell. Well I guess the current points I have can go towards the genki dlc for SR3 and Magic 2013.

#1733 thenutman69321

thenutman69321

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Table Tennis I thought was actually pretty good. Hard as hell though. Kameo was absolutely awesome. Although I did play both of these 4 or 5 years ago so who knows how I'd feel now.

#1734 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

kN4kBSmhZe0

I think I might get this one now.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#1735 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

For multiplayer go with bomberman Live Battlefest

Do not go with that game, I regret purchasing it in a sense now. Got it @ best buy with store credit and was a waste of $ since no one plays the multiplayer on xbl anymore.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1736 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Perfect Dark Zero is still a great game, although single player isn't nearly as good as the original.

Hopefully the sale next weeks brings people online for a while. Bots are stupid and I hate fighting them.

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#1737 ArmyOfFun

ArmyOfFun

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

The Top Bottom Five:
1. Brave Warrior's Tale - 2 Stars ...

Brave Warrior's Tale is horrible, honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. I award it no points and may God have mercy on its soul.

The really sad thing is that it's supposedly a kids title. The only kid deserving of Brave Warrior's Tale is maybe Damien. Even then, it'd be too cruel.

#1738 mebegod

mebegod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

kN4kBSmhZe0

and Im sold

#1739 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

Well I got my Capcom digital collection this afternoon. :bouncy: I'm surprised it took under 20 hours to get here.
I feel bad for those of you who decided to wait since the price is back up now. HOWEVER, the price went up because isomergames ran out of copies so shark decided to bump up their price. Isomergames just got two in stock now so the bidding has started again. I would imagine the price will dip back to around $16 again if no one snags those two copies as the bidding war rages on.

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1740 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

For anyone considering Perfect Dark Zero, you will be told by just about everybody that it is bad. However, most of those people almost certainly gave up on it fairly quickly, and that's ok. However, as someone who spent their entire gaming budget on the 360 launch in the fall of 2005, I couldn't afford to buy anymore games for a while, so I ended up giving PDZ quite a bit of my time and found a lot to like. The story, writing, and presentation are lovably atrocious ("I'll never complain about garbage again") and the game can be unreasonably difficult at times, but there is a general weirdness to it all and a completely unexplained complexity to the co-op that was fun to discover. It feels very Japanese, even though it isn't.

Kameo is definitely worth $5, Rockstar's Table Tennis is just ok, and everybody should avoid Viva Pinata Party Animals at all costs.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624