Photo
- - - - -

Smartphone Thread

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your smartphone?

What's your smartphone?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Switched my HTC One X to prepaid GoPhone. Unlimited Texting for $25/mo but no Data, Wi-Fi Only. Luckily everywhere you go around town here has Wi-Fi, so it works for me.

If I go out of town though, I tend to get a little bored. :joystick:

I was thinking of hopping on my fiance's Family Mobile (T-Mobile via Walmart) plan for $35/mo so I can get data access, but I'm not feeling the whole $299 price tag for the highest of the high end phone they have available: Galaxy S2. I read you can use any T-Mobile network phone, but some features may not work properly. It's hard to find information about this... anyone here use Walmart Family Mobile?

You shouldcall the Family mobile customer service and ask them about bringing your phone over and any data settings you may need to change. If they want your business, they will try to help you.

I have Consumer Cellular with my N4 and I opt out of data & txt - voice & WiFi is plenty for me, for now. Con. Cell. lists instructions on their website for data settings for GSM phones from other carriers. Maybe Walmart family mobile does the same?

76561198025510545.png

#92 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Virgin Mobile actually has a really great unlimited data and text, with 400 minutes of talk. $35 a month.

I currently have it, and really like it. I'd like a better phone, but one with a qwerty slide out keyboard. Like the Kyocera Rise I currently have.

Really wish more places has a bare bones plan. I don't do that much talking and texting besides to the wife and family. (Maybe 50 texts a month).

And as far a data goes, I usually just use my home wi-fi and switch over to work wi-fi when I'm at work. I rarely use 3G.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#93 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

So I have had the Galaxy S4 on Verizon for a little over a week now.  Coming from the Droid Charge, this is a major upgrade.  Yeah the whole eye tracking and hand waving is just fluff but i am glad to have a phone that even using it on standby mode inside of the school building where I work where I get 1 or 2 bars I can still have 50% by the end of the day, which was better than the DC.

I am bummed though...several EA titles I bought when they were 25 or 99 cents back when they were on sale when I had the DC will NOT install on the G4 :(

#94 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

I'm really happy with the $35 I pay for unliited data and 500 minutes on Virgin Mobile. 

Not thrilled with the choice of phones. Would really like a bigger, better 4G slider with more storage space.

Can't justify paying the $100 for Verizon for $65-$85 for Sprint.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#95 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

^That's why I like Straight Talk for $45.  Bring your own phone, "unlimited" everything, and no contract.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#96 Sky Ray

Sky Ray

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm using Samsung Galaxy SII, Hercules variant. I got it as a gift and it is my first smartphone.

33c9dz8.jpg

#97 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

^That's why I like Straight Talk for $45.  Bring your own phone, "unlimited" everything, and no contract.

But then I gotta shell out $400-$500 for the phone.

I like the Motorola Photon Q and the Droid 4.

( Having a slide out QWERTY keyboard is a must)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#98 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

But then I gotta shell out $400-$500 for the phone.

I like the Motorola Photon Q and the Droid 4.

( Having a slide out QWERTY keyboard is a must)

Does Virgin even have deals on phones?

Either way, that's dirt cheap for service, but you gotta pay to play my friend. That's why I always tell people to do the math on the cost of service with a phone for 2 years to see if going on contract is a better option than having a cheap pre-paid plain while buying a phone at full cost.

For me, I buy a phone every year because I save enough on my monthly bill that I could spend $600+ on a phone every two years per line(I have two) and it would cost the same as having a subsidized phone from a carrier. At least this way, I get to choose what I want to use, which doesn't count as much as it used to with the phone selection these days...haha. Over the last 3 years, I've saved about $300 compared to what it would've cost me on-contract even after spending over $1500 on phones. $300 is crap money over the course of 3 years, but you can't put a price on knowing you're ahead of the game. :D

edit: And for phone news, the Sony Xperia Z Ultra was officially announced today with a 6.44 inch screen. This is like bizarro Zoolander with a phone the size of a tablet instead of the tiny one in the movie. :rofl:
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#99 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Still cheaper in the long run...  I think ST does sell phones for their service though.

Trade List

#100 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Google Play Editions of the S4 and One are currently receiving 4.3 OTA's. I might have to reconsider my next phone choice(Sony Honami) considering it took me a week to get it on my GNex.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#101 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thinking about getting the HTC One since Dell currently has a deal on it for $29.99. Anyone have it and want to do a quick comment?

#102 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

I will have to look into straight talk once my contract is up.  93.xx for Sprint is not worth it.  The 4G LTE seems to be half ass in this area and the service sucks.  I'm thinking about picking up a Note III at some point once it comes out.  If I do I will just buy it out right and see how to switch in August.  45 a month for everything unlimited is nice.  Any where online I can look to see what coverage is like in my area?  I looked it up on the website and the map was all just yellow.   

Posted Image

#103 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's looking like I'll be heading to a 6.3 Samsung Mega.

Trade List

#104 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well no one answered here about the HTC One, but I read reviews and other stuff elsewhere and ended up biting on the Dell deal, which was way too good to pass up. It should get delivered tomorrow, I can't wait! It should be awesome for gaming too. I've been looking at controllers. Does anyone have recommendations? It seems the Moga Pro is about the best but I'd really like something more portable.

#105 rbanez

rbanez

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

Well no one answered here about the HTC One, but I read reviews and other stuff elsewhere and ended up biting on the Dell deal, which was way too good to pass up. It should get delivered tomorrow, I can't wait! It should be awesome for gaming too. I've been looking at controllers. Does anyone have recommendations? It seems the Moga Pro is about the best but I'd really like something more portable.

Great choice. If I would change my phone right now I would get that. Or that new sony xperia phone. The build quality is probably the best among android phones.

What im playing: 
|  :ps3: Dark Souls II :pray:   |  :vita: Spenlunky |

Recently completed:
- Grand Theft Auto V ( Great game, one of the best this gen )
The Last of Us  ( incredible game. gets the "Most honest and appropriate ending ever" award and goty )

#106 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

A coworker has the HTC One and I have the HTC DNA and I got cellphone envy... 

Sure, my phone is a bit older but have 1080p and wireless QI charging but damn, HTC One is damn sexy and I want that camera!

/whine Unfortunately, I need to go replace my screen whenever I can find some time to drive over to get it done...   love the slim profile so phone was bare and now $180 down the drain...  :(   some friends thought I have like special wallpaper/film and thought it was cool....

HTC_DNA_brokenscreen.jpg

#107 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I change my pic more than I punch goldfish. And I punch A LOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

I like the Androids they're pretty sturdy

#108 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

Have the Galaxy Note II. Very nice cell but due to its size I don't like carrying it around with me too much.

#109 sangredekrazy

sangredekrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

Lookin to get a galaxy s 4 this week or next week. Researching best deals right now but if anyone has the heads up please let me know!

#110 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Lookin to get a galaxy s 4 this week or next week. Researching best deals right now but if anyone has the heads up please let me know!

It really depends on the service provider you're planning to use.

dohdough.png

#111 sangredekrazy

sangredekrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

It really depends on the service provider you're planning to use.

Ah, yes I am with Sprint right now and due for an upgrade.

#112 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well it looks like I can't keep my phone if I go with straight talk from what the checker that I found said.  Odd thing is they sell a Galaxy S3 for the service.  The site I used to check it said that I can't use an LTE phone so that stops the Note 3 unless I get one from T-Mobile or an over seas model.  

Posted Image

#113 sangredekrazy

sangredekrazy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Well it looks like Target has the samsung Galaxy S4 for 149.99 this week and you also get a $50 gift card. Score!

#114 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

Well it looks like I can't keep my phone if I go with straight talk from what the checker that I found said.  Odd thing is they sell a Galaxy S3 for the service.  The site I used to check it said that I can't use an LTE phone so that stops the Note 3 unless I get one from T-Mobile or an over seas model.  

I know this is late, but yeah, you can't use a CDMA device(because you're on Sprint) on a GSM network(Straight Talk, which is reallyT-mobile). The iphone is a bit of an exception though.

Technically, you CAN use an LTE phone on Sprint, but the phone would need to have the radio activated to send/receive data on a specific mHz that is compatible with Sprint's LTE network.

Anyone that wants freedom of choice for their phones really needs to away from Sprint, Verizon, and their MVNO's. GSM is the only way to go unless you want the latest and greatest, but can't afford to pay an unsubsidized price, which you're paying for anyways through increased prices on service. Not that there's anything with either route of course.

dohdough.png

#115 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Got a Mega (6.3) and I absolutely love it.

Trade List

#116 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

l'll be grabbing an iPhone 5s to replace my 4s.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#117 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I change my pic more than I punch goldfish. And I punch A LOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Still have the very first droid model lol

#118 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

I know this is late, but yeah, you can't use a CDMA device(because you're on Sprint) on a GSM network(Straight Talk, which is reallyT-mobile). The iphone is a bit of an exception though.

Technically, you CAN use an LTE phone on Sprint, but the phone would need to have the radio activated to send/receive data on a specific mHz that is compatible with Sprint's LTE network.

Anyone that wants freedom of choice for their phones really needs to away from Sprint, Verizon, and their MVNO's. GSM is the only way to go unless you want the latest and greatest, but can't afford to pay an unsubsidized price, which you're paying for anyways through increased prices on service. Not that there's anything with either route of course.

Based on their with CDMA does work. It only works though if you're on Verizon. I think it also works if you don't have an lte phone with sprint. I would have to convert my phone to Verizon then to straight talk. At least that is my understanding.
Posted Image

#119 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

jJ5zyZOl.jpgd7CzuuDl.jpg

New OS calls for new wallpaper.

oIi9lub.png

#120 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Quick question with the new iPhone models what do you think will happen with Verizon user who are due for an upgrade? Right now I can get an iPhone4 8gb for $1.00 or a 16gb 4s for $99.00 for my 2 year upgrade. I am fine with whatever model it is I just want to finally upgrade to an iPhone but the $1.00 8gb is too small for me. Do you think with the new phones coming out the 16gb 4s will drop down in price for people who want to use their upgrade on it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------