1st CAG SSBB Season - Week 14: Championship & 3rd Place Matches + Smash Bowls MIA?

Hmm, no one is going to comment on my match? Then I guess you guys don't want to see the video :nottalking:

Just kidding. There is no video :lol:

Just kidding, there is!
Round 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RYr4uZwUsM

Round 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUhm1moubbU

For maximum enjoyment don't watch me, watch FallMoon :lol:
Looking back, I did a lot of the same things over and over. I was pretty nervous. Fallmoon is tough! She did a great job with her gun combos and staying out my attack range (or maybe that had more to do with me!)

My personal thoughts on the first 3 matches:

Mad D vs. zerowing: I only have one word for ya, David. 'Overrated'. Just kidding :p. I knew zerowing was good in the last tourney but wasn't sure how well he'd fare in singles play. He was #16 on my list; should have ranked him.

The Chop Suey vs. Arikado: Why so close on the first game, Arikado? You're my preseason #1. Don't fail me now! Anyways, props to Chop for scaring Arikado.

FallMoon vs. Daisydog: With ZSS's range, you have to play very cautiously from a distance. Spamming Link's arrows & boomerang and Kirby's sword might have frustrated her and improved your chances. I'm speaking from experience as R.O.B., the great Smash turtle. Nevertheless, GGs to both players.

[quote name='evergoo']The Chop Suey vs. Arikado: Why so close on the first game, Arikado? You're my preseason #1. Don't fail me now! Anyways, props to Chop for scaring Arikado.[/QUOTE]

Haha... hey, I pulled the victory off. Like I said, I played (probably a little too) cautiously that first round to get a feel for Chop's style, as well as shake the rust and nerves off. The second round was much more in my favor and I controlled the majority of the match.

I'm honestly surprised you ranked me number one. I was wondering who the two that did so were (who's my other mystery fan? :lol:). I haven't played in such a long time, so I didn't expect to be in the top five.

[quote name='Arikado']I'm honestly surprised you ranked me number one. I was wondering who the two that did so were (who's my other mystery fan? :lol:). [/quote]
I ranked you #1 b/c you're overly aggressive and make little to no mistakes while doing so. Your pressure scares lots of CAGs, including me.
And only the hosts know the rankings. I'll give you a clue: he's Canadian :lol:.

[quote name='Arikado']I haven't played in such a long time, so I didn't expect to be in the top five.[/QUOTE]
At one point, I didn't play for a month and I still kicked ass. In Brawl, it is very easy to pick up your skills again after a day or two of practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Arikado']I'm honestly surprised you ranked me number one. I was wondering who the two that did so were (who's my other mystery fan? :lol:). I haven't played in such a long time, so I didn't expect to be in the top five.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll probably release the full results near the end of the season, although I imagine not as many people will be interested in some of the earlier weeks by then.

@ corneria, lurk (pit) buttle (luigi) 2
@ smashville, lurk (pit) buttle (kirby) 1

nicely done lurk. i tried to make the adjustment with kirby, but it still wasn't enough.

[quote name='Lurk']thanks buttle
kirby down b just wasnt working too well at pictochat :/[/QUOTE]

yea, i kept getting just barely cut off by the picture.

and RESULTS

@ Final Destination, Maigoyume (Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Samus), 1
@ Smashville,
Maigoyume(Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Marth), 2

For fun:
@ Yoshi's Island,
Maigoyume(Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Samus), 1

[quote name='maigoyume']and RESULTS

@ Final Destination, Maigoyume (Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Samus), 1
@ Smashville,
Maigoyume(Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Marth), 2

For fun:
@ Yoshi's Island,
Maigoyume(Lucario) d. wjhard63 (Samus), 1[/quote]

Is that samus, really that good? ...wow..

[quote name='hero101']Is that samus, really that good? ...wow..[/QUOTE]

Haha, no - mediocre at best. I think Maigoyume went very easy on me on our matches, but especially Match #2, committing an SD so as not to 3-stock me. I knew I'd fall to #4 for all of our matches, but I appreciate you not slaughtering me, Maigoyume, which I believe was well within your capability!

Oh well, onto week #2.

[quote name='wjhard63']Haha, no - mediocre at best. I think Maigoyume went very easy on me on our matches, but especially Match #2, committing an SD so as not to 3-stock me. I knew I'd fall to #4 for all of our matches, but I appreciate you not slaughtering me, Maigoyume, which I believe was well within your capability!

Oh well, onto week #2.[/quote]You did fine against me, keep in mind I've been to a few tournaments and practiced against the national champ, JoeB, Blue, Suko, Fallmoon and a bunch of other excellent brawlers (sorry to those I forgot to name).

Best of luck in the rest of the tournament.

Well, dyeknom played a good game and soundly beat me in 5 games out of 5. =P

@ Smashville, dyeknom (Pikachu) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 1
@ Smashville, dyeknom (Mr. G&W) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 2
@ Smashville, dyeknom (Bowser) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 2

Video will be up later.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Well, dyeknom played a good game and soundly beat me in 5 games out of 5. =P

@ Smashville, dyeknom (Pikachu) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 1
@ Smashville, dyeknom (Mr. G&W) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 2
@ Smashville, dyeknom (Bowser) d. BlueLobstah (Toon Link), 2

Video will be up later.[/quote]

Good games man. You had me on the edge of the couch a lot! That pikachu and the lucas match were super close, we were at the same percentage at least 2 times on the same life.

and again.. sorry about bailing after the 4th or 5th fight, he turned the wii off and started crying to play as "Mario Galaxy" against pikachu and Wall-E. >.

[quote name='dyeknom']Good games man. You had me on the edge of the couch a lot! That pikachu and the lucas match were super close, we were at the same percentage at least 2 times on the same life.

and again.. sorry about bailing after the 4th or 5th fight, he turned the wii off and started crying to play as "Mario Galaxy" against pikachu and Wall-E. >.

[quote name='Arikado']Chop and I just had our match. I guess this means I'm officially out of "retirement." :lol:

@Final Destination, Arikado (Falco) d. The Chop Suey (Marth) 1
@Smashville, Arikado (Falco) d. The Chop Suey (Marth) 2

Round one was pretty close. I was cautious for most of the round, since I wanted to see if I could feel Chop's playing style out. I spaced him out with lasers for most of his first stock. Managed to catch him off guard with Falco's side-B for a spike, thanks in part to Marth's terrible recovery on FD because of those ledges.

Round two I played much more aggressively and managed to hit the chain throw on all three of Chop's stocks, one of which ended in a spike KO.

Good games Chop. I admit I underestimated you a bit since this was my first time playing against you, but you've got a solid Marth. Thanks for sticking around for the casuals afterwards, too. Good luck the rest of the season![/quote]
sorry i havent replied early i went on a lil trip
thanks kado, i had alot of fun that one spike kill was ridiculous i was like wow damn it haha.

I'll post the results.

@ Smashville, zitanix (DK) d. evergoo (R.O.B.), 1
@ FD, zitanix (DK) d. evergoo (R.O.B.), 2
@ Pictochat, evergoo (Snake) d. zitanix (DK), 2? (I believe)

GGs zitanix. I was telling everyone you were underranked :p.

That was really STUPID of me to play as R.O.B. on the 2nd match. DK out-prioritizes him and R.O.B. has weak kill moves. Should have gone with someone who out-prioritizes DK, Snake. I'm still kicking myself.

Now I know I need to look at character matchups very carefully b/c playing as my main ain't gonna cut it. The sad thing is I have many secondaries, too.

Well, it looks like Joe's Mad Goo as well as the co-hosts are all 0-2 to start the season. Don't let us down, Joe!

And Blue, do you mind posting the 3rd video? I looked like utter crap in the 2nd one. I need to redeem myself.

EDIT: As 3 separate matches. Did I win the last match by 2 or 3 because I honestly don't remember. Thanks so much, Blue!

Thoughts on the dyeknom vs. BlueLobstah match:

Game 1: You did a really good job fighting that Spamchu. You messed up on grabbing the ledge on one of your stocks, though. That match could have gone either way. Tip: Don't try to outspam Spamchu unless you're Pit or Spamchu himself. You will never win.

Game 2: Blue, you must have been kickin' yourself on the suicide. I would have.

GGs to both.

Don't forget, everyone still has a chance to meet again if you make it to the division championship.

P.S. I usually don't give tips on players I main, but I personally hate fighting against Spamchu dittos and I've learned how to deal with them.

EDIT: Lol, 3 higher-ranked players fall to their opponents. If we keep up this rate, expect to see at least 20% of the ranked players getting upset every week.

I know, I didn't expect to see so many upsets in the first week! Already 3 upsets in the top 10!

Just wait until you get to see the evergoo vs. zitanix matches. I was impressed at how well zitanix played against evergoo, of course I knew he was under-ranked so maybe this will help him. If anything, the smash polls next week are going to be very entertaining.

@evergoo: Yeah, I don't know what happened with that ledge on the first match. I guess I wasn't just really paying attention to what was happening. That suicide though was... ugh. Its only one game though, I'm looking forward to Arikado's match next week.

[quote name='Daisydog']Good job Dyeknom and Zitanix :applause:
Week 1 is turning out to be full of surprises.[/QUOTE]

I personally hope I don't become one myself in my match tomorrow :p

The pressure! The pressure...of being highly-ranked! Ahhh!!1!1!

Blue, that sucks that you have Arikado next week. CAGs might think you suck 'cuz you're 0-2. I, however, might still rank you even if you lose. It depends if there's anymore upsets :p.

I'm hopping on again to release my demon rage :evil:.

[quote name='evergoo']
Well, it looks like Joe's Mad Goo as well as the co-hosts are all 0-2 to start the season. Don't let us down, Joe!
[/QUOTE]
Stuff is getting crazy up in here :bomb:

I also had a question. Would it be possible to get two weeks of matches done in one week?

[quote name='evergoo']
Should have gone with someone who out-prioritizes DK, Snake. I'm still kicking myself.
[/QUOTE]
Not as much as I was when I decided to chose Lucario in my deciding match for no good reason.

[quote name='Mad D']Stuff is getting crazy up in here :bomb:

I also had a question. Would it be possible to get two weeks of matches done in one week?

Not as much as I was when I decided to chose Lucario in my deciding match for no good reason.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I agree. It's like college basketball March Madness!

Regarding your question, lemme start an open discussion w/ the other hosts and CAGs.

Should ppl be allowed to play early? I personally prefer that ppl don't get ahead of more than 1 week. Just keep the results secret (no dropping clues, too!) so that rankings won't be affected. I think it's better to play week by week so that everyone develops and improves their game. Ever since this season started, I feel that a lot of us have dramatically improved. Before you know it, one of us might have a chance of placing at a local/small tourney \\:D/.

@ Pictochat, dastly75 (Toon Link) d. TimPV3 (Samus), 2
@ Pokemon Stadium 2, TimPV3 (Samus
) d. dastly75 (Toon Link), 1
@ Pictochat, dastly75 (Lucario) d. TimPV3 (Samus), 2

Great games, Tim made a comeback in the second round.

not looking foward to losing to zitanix next week...

eliter1 wasn't able to make our time last night. Hopefully, we can get it finished today, as I am going out of town this weekend. :l

Just a reminder.

If you cannot commit to the season, speak now! Nobody wants flakers.

There are 3-4 other veteran CAG Smashers who would love to take your place if you cannot commit.

I've had a match with items on (the wrong items, at that) with foltzie, but all attempts to contact him after that have gone unreturned.

[quote name='JoeB1233']I've had a match with items on (the wrong items, at that) with foltzie, but all attempts to contact him after that have gone unreturned.[/QUOTE]

See if he's willing to accept those matches as final.

If he doesn't, just wait patiently for his response :p. I'm sure he'll respond before Sunday.

EDIT: Joe, do you have access to Smash right now? I'd like to practice my Snake.

[quote name='evergoo']
EDIT: Joe, do you have access to Smash right now? I'd like to practice my Snake.[/quote]
I just tried. He's fighting Sammy and won't let me join :whistle2:#

lol, brawl at EVO.

Anyway, I just finished my match with Ingwe.

Match 1 Link(AmigoOne) vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, Ingwe
Match 2 Snake(AmigoOne) vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, AmigoOne
Match 3 Metaknight(AmigoOne)vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, Ingwe

Ingwe takes this one!

for sake of info on the match:
Match1-3 were all Final destination, and every battle ended with me or him having 1 life each.

Too many upsets happening! What has the world gone to? :whee:

EDIT: Beef should respond some time before Monday. If not, your game is pushed to Week 9. Your rankings depend on other CAGs. I have a feeling that many CAGs over-rated/under-rated a lot of Smashers.

[quote name='AmigoOne']lol, brawl at EVO.

Anyway, I just finished my match with Ingwe.

Match 1 Link(AmigoOne) vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, Ingwe
Match 2 Snake(AmigoOne) vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, AmigoOne
Match 3 Metaknight(AmigoOne)vs. DDD(Ingwe) Winner, Ingwe

Ingwe takes this one![/quote]

Hey! Happen to know the stock count at the end of each game?

[quote name='dallow']So what happens to our rankings since Beef is away?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully your ranking shouldn't be affected at all, since neither of you played.

I'm hoping eliter1 PM's me before midnight or so, 'cause I really don't want to take the bye.

Sunday is the deadline, right? I guess I may be back late, late Sunday night.

[quote name='Ingwe']for sake of info on the match:
Match1-3 were all Final destination, and every battle ended with me or him having 1 life each.[/quote]

[quote name='JoeB1233']Hey! Happen to know the stock count at the end of each game?[/quote]

See quote.

[quote name='dyeknom']Tony the Tiger disagrees.[/QUOTE]

rimshot.jpg

Uhh...I don't know how to respond to both dyeknom and Arikado.

I guess...umm...okay?

EDIT: Lol'ing at Hero's Smash message: "Need practice against Suk." Does that mean you need practice against crappy Smashers?

[quote name='evergoo']Uhh...I don't know how to respond to both dyeknom and Arikado.

I guess...umm...okay?

EDIT: Lol'ing at Hero's Smash message: "Need practice against Suk." Does that mean you need practice against crappy Smashers?[/quote]
I couldn't fit a O there.

bread's done
Back