1st CAG SSBB Season - Week 14: Championship & 3rd Place Matches + Smash Bowls MIA?

[quote name='Lurk']ai for lvl 9 is weak
bleh
-sweatdrop, pout-
im going to bed[/QUOTE]

beat up level 1s with those flower things only. all jigglypuffs.

Foltzie, just a reminder: in this season we are only using a select few amount of items (Smash Ball, Mr. Saturn, Food, and Smoke Bomb). And they're to be on low frequency.

That said, if you want to redo our games, we certainly can. Otherwise, I don't mind posting the results of that set. :) Good games - you're a very good player!

[quote name='JoeB1233']Foltzie, just a reminder: in this season we are only using a select few amount of items (Smash Ball, Mr. Saturn, Food, and Smoke Bomb). And they're to be on low frequency.

That said, if you want to redo our games, we certainly can. Otherwise, I don't mind posting the results of that set. :) Good games - you're a very good player![/QUOTE]

Sorry about that, I was mistaken in thinking the host frequencies took over so I didnt change anything other than picking the stages you sent over.

[quote name='JoeB1233']No problem! Let me know if you'd like a rematch![/QUOTE]

I think its fair to leave your win stand.

Although, I am a bit confused, is there a way to permanently set my options?

[quote name='JoeB1233']Uh oh.

Marc, were the final smashes a bit excessive, or was that just me? It seemed that we got at least four or five per match. I don't know that I like that.

Oh, and you know how the other day we were saying that R.O.B.'s final smash was underpowered? Yeah. Nevermind. :)[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been complaining for awhile now in those PMs!

Since battles are so long it seems that most, if not all kills, come down to Final Smashes.

So should we get rid of it? What does CAG think?

NOTE: Posting in both threads to hear ppl's thoughts.

Just out of curiosity, why did you want to put in smash balls in the first place? They've always annoyed me, since they take away some of the interaction and at best slow down the match. At worst, they decide them. You literally can play a match smash ball to smash ball and jump around until they appear.

[quote name='zitanix']Just out of curiosity, why did you want to put in smash balls in the first place? They've always annoyed me, since they take away some of the interaction and at best slow down the match. At worst, they decide them. You literally can play a match smash ball to smash ball and jump around until they appear.[/QUOTE]

I just provided the other hosts the option of Smash Ball or no Smash Ball. Then Blue was excited and that's how we agreed on the Smash Ball idea :lol:.

I'm not quite fond of it after playing a lot of 1-on-1's and testing out various item permutations rigorously against a lvl. 9 cpu. It's great in FFAs but it also severely sucks when you're on the receiving end of multiple Final Smashes.

I think I might change my mind, depending on the sentiments of other CAGs. First to 5 votes wins (my vote doesn't count). Currently, No Smash Ball = 2, Smash Ball = 1.

EDIT: So what day are we playing zitanix? I PM'd you already.

Last edited by a moderator:

i'd vote no smash ball,
but i really don't mind them that much.

so, whatever the result is, i'm happy to play.

[quote name='evergoo']Okay, 5-1 vote. Updated the OP.

Hope everyone likes this adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Meh, of course I would be the one to say that.

I was kind of up in the air. But I agree with no smash balls.
It makes things too much up to chance and crazy randomness, and that would throw off some of our stat collecting, no?

But it was so funny today to watch everyone struggle to get to them! We're so used to playing with items completely turned off. :lol:

[quote name='Daisydog']But it was so funny today to watch everyone struggle to get to them! We're so used to playing with items completely turned off. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I agree :lol:. So many ppl got 3-stocked b/c of Final Smashes, and you can't help but feel sorry for those who had trouble getting them.

[quote name='Lurk']buttle...
tomorrow...
you...
hahah
handbanana

guess i didnt get scared away[/QUOTE]

handbanana2.jpg

Well, foltzie, with this big rule change, do you want a rematch? I'm fine either way. Just let me know!

Oh, and thanks for being so flexible!

EDIT: It looks like, according to Goo's update, we have to re-do our games. I'll check that PM you sent of when you're free again.

[quote name='evergoo']Okay, 5-1 vote. Updated the OP.

Hope everyone likes this adjustment.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? I'd argue 5-1 isn't a consensus since that's just a fifth of the competitiors, but I don't think the vote would turn out much different even if it was open to everyone.

I was looking forward to using items for once, since none of the other tournaments here have. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Seriously? I'd argue 5-1 isn't a consensus since that's just a fifth of the competitiors, but I don't think the vote would turn out much different even if it was open to everyone.

I was looking forward to using items for once, since none of the other tournaments here have. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

If everyone were to vote, I'm pretty sure it would have been ~60% or more leaning towards no items.

To understand why some CAGs wanted no items, you should try playing 1-on-1 w/ the previous item settings. Even on low, a Smash Ball pops up almost every stock and there were lots of matches where ppl got 3-stocked due to FS's.

i have to only agree with no items and moons statement
someone of my calibur -sigh- would clearly benefit from the aid of a smashball
but how fair is that to someone who is obviously more talented than i
all thats really said is i would have been a better jumper...

i cant help but get aggrivated when im actually doing well and goo gets a smashball and goes on a lazer spree with r.o.b.
i know its all for fun but you cant help but swear and throw your controller

anyways im going ol anyone wanna have a few matches?

I should probably mention that I'm not intending any of this as a knock on anyone here. I'm bummed about items being removed after we finally had a tournament set up that uses them, but I'm not going to start calling evergoo dirty names or anything like that. ;)

[quote name='Lurk']but how fair is that to someone who is obviously more talented than i[/QUOTE]

That gets into what, exactly, makes you "talented" at the game. Yes, the items give you an advantage - sometimes a huge one - but they're random and, more often than not, everyone has a decent shot of landing them. This isn't Mario Kart - the powerful items aren't automatically handed to whoever's doing the worst. Besides, if you get screwed over in one match who's to say the chips won't fall on your side in the next one?

As far as I'm concerned, if it's in the game it's fair. If you start disqualifying items, then you there's the question of which characters or which stages may be "unfair", and before you know it you're left with four or five characters and Final Destination, like what the "competitive" game in Melee was. Where's the fun in that?

I'm not going to argue that items can tip the balance. I just don't think they're intrinsically unfair, and I don't think that using the characters alone makes Brawl a "better" game. Different, yes, but not better.

[quote name='Lurk']buttle...
tomorrow...
you...
hahah
handbanana

guess i didnt get scared away[/QUOTE]

oh snap.
handbanana hu.
i was gonna just hang out with your mom,
but i guess i'll blow her off.

i agree gothic
my point of view was based more on moons statement as an argumentive point
some people feel the way i explain for myself

i do however enjoy exploring new ideas such as mixing items
just means you have to think more strategically

btw can you cancel someones final smash?
example: daisy was playing as link, myself as pit, she unleashed her fs and i clearly should have been hit though i was spamming the a button and it was like a normal equal hit cancel

edit: i dont have a mom “butt”le

[quote name='Lurk']i agree gothic
my point of view was based more on moons statement as an argumentive point
some people feel the way i explain for myself

i do however enjoy exploring new ideas such as mixing items
just means you have to think more strategically[/QUOTE]

That's fine. Like I said, nothing intended against anyone here in particular. :)

Given how overwhelming the "no items" sentiment usually is online, I just feel like I'm in a minority because I actually like using them.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Yes, the items give you an advantage - sometimes a huge one - but they're random and, more often than not, everyone has a decent shot of landing them. [/QUOTE]

Gothic Walrus, we should play some time with the previous item settings, 1-on-1. You will see how frustrating it is when R.O.B. constantly gets the Smash Ball due to his ridiculous boosters.

And like zitanix stated earlier, I as well as any other good evader, can also make matches not fun by just simply avoiding the fight and chasing down the Smash Ball.

EDIT: suko is right. Lol.

maybe if we used fun items like scope, flowers, etc

i always thought pokemon battles were fun, set em on high lol

edit: ive gotten a bit better ive noticed over the past week
stepping up to you internets people
bad think is is it took vodka to do it :/

Week one's match Fallmoon @ Daisydog is in the books.

Here are the stats:
Round 1
Stage: Smashville. Winner: Fallmoon, as Zero Suit Samus. Loser: Daisydog, as Link. Fallmoon had 2 lives left when she won.

Round 2
Stage: Smashville. Winner: Fallmoon, as Zero Suit Samus. Loser: Daisydog, as Kirby. Fallmoon had 2 lives left when she won.

Winner, and supreme ruler of all: Fallmoon/Sammy :applause:
-

I gave it my best :lol:

[quote name='FallMoon']That was really fun, and I was scared during the battles. You were fun to battle, too.[/quote]
Maybe if I had smash balls... just kidding!

You're so tough! :applause: Maybe if I can get into a four player match with you I'll stand a chance. Personally, I'm glad I didn't suicide :lol:

[quote name='FallMoon']There would have been lots of complaints, and people blaming their losses on Smash Balls.[/quote]

Definitely see this as the situation at hand. Just don't be the idiot to hit it first as it usually gravitates to the other person!

[quote name='dastly75']I like items but then again it's not a big deal to me if I win or lose. I just play for fun.[/quote]

Same here, oh well about no items - guess it's more competitive this way. ;)

If all goes as planned, my match with n4e is tomorrow!

Anyone up for some matches of smash at 10 est?

[quote name='hero101']Suko love grabbing lil boys. LOL :lol:[/QUOTE]

teehee

For the people who have no idea what's going on, Marth infinite grabs Ness and Lucas :p

[quote name='suko_32']teehee

For the people who have no idea what's going on, Marth infinite grabs Ness and Lucas :p[/QUOTE]

I lol'd.

I was waiting for awhile for that fsmash.

Updated the only match that's been played so far in the Smash Records. :)

EDIT: Oops, I should clarify. I mean that on my local copy of the document, Smash Records has been updated. Once all the matches are completed for this week, I'll PM a new version to Goo for all to see. Sorry FM!

Zero (Wolf) d Mad D (Meta) 2 lives left
Mad D (Olimar) d Zero (Wolf) 1 life left
Zero (Wolf) d Mad D (Lucario) 2 lives left

There goes my drop in the rankings

Chop and I just had our match. I guess this means I'm officially out of "retirement." :lol:

@Final Destination, Arikado (Falco) d. The Chop Suey (Marth) 1
@Smashville, Arikado (Falco) d. The Chop Suey (Marth) 2

Round one was pretty close. I was cautious for most of the round, since I wanted to see if I could feel Chop's playing style out. I spaced him out with lasers for most of his first stock. Managed to catch him off guard with Falco's side-B for a spike, thanks in part to Marth's terrible recovery on FD because of those ledges.

Round two I played much more aggressively and managed to hit the chain throw on all three of Chop's stocks, one of which ended in a spike KO.

Good games Chop. I admit I underestimated you a bit since this was my first time playing against you, but you've got a solid Marth. Thanks for sticking around for the casuals afterwards, too. Good luck the rest of the season!

bread's done
Back