1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

UGO sucks, I don't even know why people visit their site. I went a handful of times because of Wombat, but that was about it.

http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=981770

A list of the people who've supposedly been fired. Skip being fired means any podcasts that may still be around will not sound that good. As long as The Sports Game Guy doesn't record them, we'll be okay.

Edit: At least Skip's confirmation post is interesting:
I am confirmed to be leaving. or being told that I must leave. or that if I stay, it'll be as a visitor and not for payment for services rendered.

or fired.
:lol: :whistle2:(

Ugh. UGO sucks. I had no idea they were still around.

I hope there aren't too many changes in staff with 1UP. I would hate to see any of them go. :whistle2:(

This is like when Chris Farley died and I said "Why couldn't it instead have been David Spade?" Why couldn't it have been UGO?

I used to be a regular at 1up and read EGM regularly. But it's been crap the past few years. It wasn't a matter of if, but when this was going to happen. Even if UGO didn't buy them out, they probably would've gone under sometime in 2009 anyways, with the way people get their news from the internet and the way the economy is. Though it doesn't make sense to buy something and destory it. It's like when the WWF bought WCW just to tear it apart and throw it in the trash, it does nothing for your business.

EGM isnt just dead, 1up is basically dead as well.

I can't even imagine why UGO would buy it when theyre getting rid of what made it interesting in the first place.

Wombat you blog for a bunch of morons!

"First of all, let me come out and say that there is no other gaming site like 1UP. Unlike some of the lumbering, impersonal behemoths out there, 1UP is all about its personalities, and its fans are awesome, passionate and willing to fight to the death over whether Final Fantasy X2 was an abomination or a triumph."

Which is why they should all be let go. Brilliant!

Garnett Lee let out the word on his podcast. 1up Yours ended with a prime number. Not even a send-off show. :(

On 1UP Boards, http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=981770&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 , they have a list of everyone so far who is leaving. Garnett Lee! Shane Bettenhausen! UGO is so moronic. I hope Wombat knows how much of a tool he could look like being affiliated with such a dumbass-ran corporation like "Hearst" (How it should be spelled, with all the peoplethey are "killing off") Everyone with any talent is gone. The ending of Video Game Journalism has begun. Everyone fasten their seat belts, its gonna b a bumpy ride.

EGM over the past few years has been nowhere near where it had been several years ago. Lesson to be lerned is only subscribe one year at a time to any magazine, because it can vanish.

The 1Up Podcasts were very good and will be missed.

fuck UGO

I love the podcast Cheapy and Wombat do every week but it still wasnt as good as 1up yours or the old GFW in my book. Thanks to fucking UGO Cheapy reigns supreme among podcasts.

Sorry Wombat. Not that I read anything on UGO in the past I sure as hell wont give them even one pageview from now on if I can help it.

[quote name='krumc']fuck UGO

I love the podcast Cheapy and Wombat do every week but it still wasnt as good as 1up yours or the old GFW in my book. Thanks to fucking UGO Cheapy reigns supreme among podcasts.

Sorry Wombat. Not that I read anything on UGO in the past I sure as hell wont give them even one pageview from now on if I can help it.[/quote]

Cheapy and Wombat now EASILY have the best gaming podcast out there. Other than the CAGcast, the 1UP podcast were the only other place where it isn't just idiots screaming over each other.

I've been subscribing to them since 1999, it is a damn shame. They had better days but even in their worst, they were still leaps and bounds better than any damn mag out there. 1UP was a great site too, I frequented there every day.

But, I guess this was coming though. Print media has been on the decline for the past decade and it doesn't help the fact the economy is driving those numbers down in record numbers. People are looking to save money and a newspaper or magazine subscription is an easy one to cancel and recoup on.

Well, I now have CAG and Kotaku for gaming news/opinions now. What a shame. IGN use to be good but the new format really, really, really sucks. 1UP was amazing, especially their Podcasts, but those days are done. GameSpot always sucked...

There's not too many place I go to anymore....hmmm...

Hey! I still have seven more issues. I hope they give me the option of moneyback but knowing where this is going to go, I'll have to roll over to some kind of magazine.

On a positive note Shane Bettenhausen can go back to being a condecending stereotypical Gamestop or comic book store manager where he always belonged.

Huh... the video game podcast scene becomes more empty. Maybe a comeback of Game Zone Radio is in order.

Maybe not.

But, a sad day indeed. This reminds me when G4 slowly dismantled Tech TV. Ugo is being faster and more blatant about it, though.

Ryan Scott's gone, so that's most of LAN Party. Tina said she's not fired and Garnett Lee's not fired yet either.

There's a list of those that are staying from somewhere:

David Ellis
Scooter Nguyen
Sam Kennedy
Garnett Lee
Alice Liang
Matt Leone
Jeremy Parish

At least Parrish can still keep that unamused look on his face for a while longer.

I hope a 1up-style Giant Bomb results from this wave of firings.

Sucks EGM is gone. I always liked them, only game magazine I've read for years. Wasn't great, but still better than anything else out there. Oh well, no game magazines for me anymore I guess. It was nothing but something to read on the crapper anyway. Newsweek is my "read before bed" magazine.

The 1up cast needs to form their own website. Reading the post on the cover of 1up made me really angry. I hope UGO goes bankrupt. 1up forever!

I guess it was bound to happen. I imagine the people who can't stay will find jobs elsewhere on the internetz though.

We should CAG Rocksolidaudio (aka Nick Suttner) what the hell's going on. They should form a new website called 2up, ala Giantbomb.

[quote name='EBPanthers21']On 1UP Boards, http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=981770&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 , they have a list of everyone so far who is leaving. Garnett Lee! Shane Bettenhausen! UGO is so moronic. I hope Wombat knows how much of a tool he could look like being affiliated with such a dumbass-ran corporation like "Hearst" (How it should be spelled, with all the peoplethey are "killing off") Everyone with any talent is gone. The ending of Video Game Journalism has begun. Everyone fasten their seat belts, its gonna b a bumpy ride.[/quote]

I am not one to use expletives. However, this warrants one of my rare usages: fuck!

I cannot believe they would fire Milky and Mangod. That's god-damn absurd. UGO, go fuck yourselves while playing in traffic. This is ridiculous.

I had never even heard of UGO until I heard Wombat mention them on a CAGcast. Today is the first day I've ever been to their site and, most likely, the last. I started listening to 1up yours last year and enjoyed it enough to go back and listen to old episodes (not a big deal considering how behind I am in my games). Funny enough, I'm listening to Luke Smith's last ep as I saw this thread.

It’s an honor to bring that passion into the UGO fold.

And then summarily dismantle it (at least that's how it seems).

[quote name='jkanownik']On a positive note Shane Bettenhausen can go back to being a condecending stereotypical Gamestop or comic book store manager where he always belonged.[/quote]

So true. I always enjoyed it when Luke, John and Garnett would just dismiss him when he went all Playstation uberfanboy.

What the fuck is wrong with ugo god dammit no more podcasts?

Are you shitting me?

list of who was fired just got updated

Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Matt Chandronait
Ryan O'Donnell
Jay Fresh
Cesar Quintero
Philip Kollar
Nick Suttner
Anthony Gallegos
Shane Bettenhausen!
James "Milkman" Mielke
Ryan Scott
Greg Ford
Giancarlo Varanini
Michael Donahoe
Andrew Fitch
Jason Wilson
Justin Haywald
Michael Grimm

fuck you UGO :bomb:

Well, another site (as of Gerstmanngate, Gamespot, and--pretty much as a rule--IGN) that I'm now done with. Looks like it's CAG and Kotaku as my primary sources...for now.

I can only begin to imagine why certain staff members got shitcanned while others survived. Maybe the former "weren't on the list"??

Just what the fuck is going on with the gaming media industry these days? Is it trying to self-destruct??

I'm incredibly saddened by this. I had read EGM since I was a kid and the podcasts amused me to no end in between college classes and commutes. fuck you UGO.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, another site (as of Gerstmanngate, Gamespot, and--pretty much as a rule--IGN) that I'm now done with. Looks like it's CAG and Kotaku as my primary sources...for now.

I can only begin to imagine why certain staff members got shitcanned while others survived. Maybe the former "weren't on the list"??

Just what the fuck is going on with the gaming media industry these days? Is it trying to self-destruct??[/QUOTE]

From the looks of it, they kept the newbies that aren't getting paid as much (like Tina Sanchez).

I listened to three podcasts from the 1UP Network and that's a huge hole there now.

Joystiq has a list of people announced to be laid off (SOURCE):
Adrian Frieg
Amy Mishra
Amy Moran
Andrea Garcia
Andrew Fitch
Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Anthony Gallegos
Cesar Quintero
Christina Rosa
CoyLou Steel
Derek Chinn
Doug Parsons
Eric Ellis
Giancarlo Varanini
Greg Ford
James "Milkman" Mielke
Jason Bertrand
Jason Wilson
Jervilyn Jaramillo
Justin Frechette
Leslie Gelfand
Marci Yamaguchi
Matt Chandronait
May Tong
Meredith Stowe
Michael Donahoe
Monique Convertito
Ndubuisi Madu
Nick Suttner
Norris Boothe
Philip Kollar
Rey Serrano
Robert Bowen
Rosemary Pinkham
Ryan O'Donnell
Ryan Scott
Shane Bettenhausen
Simon Cox
Tammy Ross
Tipler Ubbelohde

[quote name='crazytalkx']From the looks of it, they kept the newbies that aren't getting paid as much (like Tina Sanchez).[/quote]
Sam Kennedy, Jeremy Parish, and Scooter Nguyen are the longtime guys that are still sticking around.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sam Kennedy, Jeremy Parish, and Scooter Nguyen are the longtime guys that are still sticking around.[/quote]

Scooter was recently hired.
Alot of the people that were fired worked for EGM.

[quote name='buckythekat']list of who was fired just got updated

Andrew "Skip" Pfister
Matt Chandronait
Ryan O'Donnell
Jay Fresh
Cesar Quintero
Philip Kollar
Nick Suttner
Anthony Gallegos
Shane Bettenhausen!
James "Milkman" Mielke
Ryan Scott
Greg Ford
Giancarlo Varanini
Michael Donahoe
Andrew Fitch
Jason Wilson
Justin Haywald
Michael Grimm

fuck you UGO :bomb:[/quote]

It is painful to see the updated list. Poor Ryan Scott. I will miss him.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Scooter was recently hired.
Alot of the people that were fired worked for EGM.[/quote]
Re-hired. He was a part of OPM for most of its run before the mag was cut. He worked at CGW before going to GameTap and then coming back.

I subscribed to 6 1up podcasts and now they're all gone. Where are we supposed to go for respectable game news now?

[quote name='kenkaze']I subscribed to 6 1up podcasts and now they're all gone. Where are we supposed to go for respectable game news now?[/quote]

Gamespot.

Oh the hysteria!

The same person that is complaining about EGM and 1Up being dead "fuck UGO!" is also complaining about his free subscription "WTF AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY FREE SUBSCRIPTION UNTIL 2030!"

Did you really think that you were supporting Ziff, EGM, and 1Up by snatching up those free subscription?

This is not the reason Ziff Media is slowly going under. And I know the name of the site is Cheap Ass Gamers, but I think that if half of the people out there that got these free subscriptions actually paid for them, then Ziff would have been in a slightly better situation and maybe able to support and save at the very least the 1Up website.

I know everyone didn't snatch up the free subscriptions, but let's be honest here most of us did get our monthly EGM fix at no cost.

Can't really blame ourselves either because the blame on making your magazines so easy to obtain for free can't be put on the consumer.

I'm extremely sad right now but at the end of the day, even with all the layoffs and killing of podcasts and such, I can't think of better people than just about everyone who worked at or for the 1UP Network. If their editorial content stays the same, I'll still trust them over IGN or Gamespot.

[quote name='Khondor']Ive been reading EGM since issue #1
Damn shame. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Pour one out for "Video Games And Computer Entertainment."

;)

[quote name='bardiya27']Oh the hysteria!

The same person that is complaining about EGM and 1Up being dead "fuck UGO!" is also complaining about his free subscription "WTF AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY FREE SUBSCRIPTION UNTIL 2030!"

Did you really think that you were supporting Ziff, EGM, and 1Up by snatching up those free subscription?

This is not the reason Ziff Media is slowly going under. And I know the name of the site is Cheap Ass Gamers, but I think that if half of the people out there that got these free subscriptions actually paid for them, then Ziff would have been in a slightly better situation and maybe able to support and save at the very least the 1Up website.[/quote]

Like I said I paid for mine for the past 5 years. CGW, GFW, EGM.

[quote name='bardiya27']This is not the reason Ziff Media is slowly going under. And I know the name of the site is Cheap Ass Gamers, but I think that if half of the people out there that got these free subscriptions actually paid for them, then Ziff would have been in a slightly better situation and maybe able to support and save at the very least the 1Up website.[/quote]

Subscriptions weren't the problem. Subscriptions made them money but the most important thing was selling issues at newstands and that still lies solely on printed publications dying.

[quote name='Hostile']Subscriptions weren't the problem. Subscriptions made them money but the most important thing was selling issues at newstands and that still lies solely on printed publications dying.[/quote]

And the piss poor management at ZD.

[quote name='bardiya27']Oh the hysteria!

This is not the reason Ziff Media is slowly going under. And I know the name of the site is Cheap Ass Gamers, but I think that if half of the people out there that got these free subscriptions actually paid for them, then Ziff would have been in a slightly better situation and maybe able to support and save at the very least the 1Up website.

I know everyone didn't snatch up the free subscriptions, but let's be honest here most of us did get our monthly EGM fix at no cost.

Can't really blame ourselves either because the blame on making your magazines so easy to obtain for free can't be put on the consumer.[/QUOTE]

Don't lump us all together now! I'd wager that most people complaining loudly are actually paid subscribers such as myself. Only reason my own EGM sub goes so f'n long is because ZD killed off other things in the past so I kept lumping their remainders into the mag I thought would last the longest. Boy was I wrong.

bread's done
Back