1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Yes I read your excuse for free subs.
They wouldn't need to give them out if people werent sharks waiting for them.[/quote]

WTF are you talking about! In the United States all media bases everything on advertising be it print, radio, or TV. So do you pay for you local radio, and TV? (And no I'm talking XM or Cable) all of the above are paid for by advertisers. Sorry but print is a dying media, and it has nothing to do with us sharks who get free subscriptions.

This is definitely sad news as the 1UP crew's podcasts were the best in the video game business by far (and that's including the CAGCast, no offense to Cheapy and Wombat).

I always wondered how Ziff Davis was able to pay the salaries of more than a dozen game writers, reviewers and editors off of ad revenue to 1UP. It didn't seem like a logical business model, especially due to lagging sales of print media.

Now we see just how extreme the site's financial problems - which caused the sale to UGO - really are if they're laying off nearly all the site's staff immediately.

First Gaming Steve fizzles, then the Game Theory podcast goes away, now this.

CAGcast is the only videogame podcast left that I subscribe to now, and podcasts were my only source of game news since I don't have time to read through blogs and messageboards every day. No offense to Cheapy or Wombat, but the CAGcast isn't exactly an informative source of gaming news (though I sincerely love hearing you two talk about funny stuff). Hell, half the time your facts are wrong.

So yeah, for me this really sucks. There are few podcast that I would say I adore, but 1up Yours and especially Retronauts, I adore. Adored.

I really hope they all just get together and continue with their own independent podcast. Even if the 1up podcasts continue, they won't be the same with all new people.

If they remain the games industry, perhaps they could migrate to Giant Bomb? :whistle2:k I enjoyed the recent podcast that featured a Giant Bomb and 1UP perspective. I know I would visit Giant Bomb more if they acquired certain 1UP personalities.

[quote name='aerotive']Ugh, first gametheory bites it & and now 1up yours.

Hope the cagcast sticks around.[/quote]

Fortunately there's no big company to drag the CAGcast down. There's no reason for it to go away.

Actually, its biggest threat is Cheapy and Wombat getting too busy with their respective children to continue doing the podcast. This is what brought Gaming Steve down.

[quote name='jousley']Not sure if anyone else talked about this, but PLAY magazine is one heck of a nice gaming and anime mag. Its been my favorite for a few years. I really hate to see EGM go. I have been reading it since day one, but PLAY is a worthy replacement.[/QUOTE]

Then clearly you are influenced by pretty pictures. Because Play is a joke. Truthfully I've been surprised it's lasted this long. Dave Halverson destroyed GameFan and Gamers Republic so soundly that I assumed like everyone else that he'd do the same to Play. He has zero integrity. I dare you to find one negative review from him. It's editorial garbage at it's worst and you should be ashamed for even typing your response.

weird...I just realized that 1up was one of the last sites where I actually know many of the writers by name. besides Hilary "oscar-worthy" Goldstein on IGN and Dave Halverson at Play.

bring back the ggtcast.

I feel especially bad for what Nick must be feeling right now. He had just gotten his big break in the business, and now this. Did he make enough of a name for himself that he can bounce back, or is it start-over time?

[quote name='keithp']
Damn, that must've been a hell of a poop!!!

;)[/QUOTE]

LOL

Guess I should've said "like to read my back issues of EGM and Game Informer for months before throwing them away" and left the whole shitting thing out of it.

[quote name='Vegan']I feel especially bad for what Nick must be feeling right now. He had just gotten his big break in the business, and now this. Did he make enough of a name for himself that he can bounce back, or is it start-over time?[/QUOTE]

True. I don't know him well (or at all), but was always happy for him, since he worked his way up from an EB/GS I used to shop at. even if I ended up disagreeing with some of his reviews...but if it's any consolation Nick, I ended up seeing NGII for what it is. :lol:

sad news for me, I actually looked forward to my monthly issue of EGM, even if it was free
I didn't read it as much as I use to, but having something to read on the crapper is better than nothing

At least I still have my Maxim til 2018, but there's only so many times I can read the jokes page and look through the pictures

Anyone have another free sub to Gamepro?

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']I guess CAG can get the top spot on digg now.[/quote]
Digg's gotten rid of the podcast page a while ago, so there's nothing for CAG to get the top spot on anymore.

[quote name='Chase']If they remain the games industry, perhaps they could migrate to Giant Bomb? :whistle2:k I enjoyed the recent podcast that featured a Giant Bomb and 1UP perspective. I know I would visit Giant Bomb more if they acquired certain 1UP personalities.[/quote]
I think Giant Bomb likes their small size and that small, neat office space they have, so they probably wouldn't pick up much of anyone, but would probably be glad to have them on the podcast.

I can't believe they ended on such a terrible issue. I can't believe they are not even getting a chance to do a goodbye issue/podcasts (though that might be very awkward). Here's hoping they can still get together and record one for the fans on their own website somewhere.

EDIT: Nevermind, milky posted that there is a final issue and it will be for everyone. Online only I assume.

I hope all of the newer guys will do okay; Greg, Shane, and the other long-timers should be able to get jobs much easier with their experience. What about Nick's co-host on 1upFM, Philip Kollar? He has an English degree during a recession for God's sake! It's getting tougher and tougher for us liberal/fine arts guys to find gigs. Good luck!

[quote name='sotc1988']I can't believe they ended on such a terrible issue. I can't believe they are not even getting a chance to do a goodbye issue/podcasts (though that might be very awkward). Here's hoping they can still get together and record one for the fans on their own website somewhere.[/quote]

James Milke said there's one more issue coming.

[quote name='kev']How am I supposed to poop now? :([/quote]

Get a cheap subscription to Wired off of eBay. It'll so chock full of articles that my magazine pile gets more backed up on the toilet than I do.

Last EGM is January 2009. I hope they completely ignore videogames and simply make an issue entirely composed of personal EGM stories from the past 20 years. That would be perfect.

[quote name='zewone']Wombat was already fired.[/quote]

... the f***

I can now say that UGO can burn in confidence. With no remorse.

This fucking sucks. I have been an EGM reader, subscriber, newsrack buyer since the first issue with Wizards and Warriors on the cover and have never missed an issue.

1up Yours was the king of gaming podcasts and I will miss it dearly.

fuck UGO

It is very regrettable this happened, but those personalities we know and listened to will bounce back, as well as the support staff we never got a chance to know. There are many developers looking for community managers, game designers, and other positions that these people would be a perfect fit. I know Nick is a friend of the site and the podcast, so if there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Though, I am sure you have far more contacts then I have developed, but I figured I would offer.

As for the actual end of EGM, that hurts. (and yes I know there are more concerning issues in the world, but I can be selfish about my industry and hobby) I can remember bringing it to school to read, instead of paying attention (even in college). I still have many of the issues back in the states, somewhere in my parent's house, I think I might go through them when I go home again.

And as for UGO and Wombat, don't blame the man for going after his dream, just like you should not be mad at the 1up members who remain after the transition. This is an industry we, meaning all CAG members, atleast have a healthy obsession with, and to be able to write about and experience games for a job is something, I for one, am envious of. This was a corporate decision, remember that, before you lash out at people who were simply trying to make their dreams a reality.

Here's some very very minor silver lining.
Shane (likely my favourite 1up personality, in the ranks of Jeremy Parish, Nick Suttner, Phil Kollar & John Davison), was planning to leave the 1up network VERY shortly and already has some sort of a gig lined up (thankfully it is gaming related, so I'll totally follow him to it. If it were some electronika music scene thing I'd have to opt out). It is terribly unfortunate, however, that there is no proper send off for him or any of those affected by this.

Here's a quote from Shane on his 1up blog:

"For now, please know that my decision to leave 1up magically coincided with the big UGO deal that's currently galvanizing 1up into something new, unique, and hopefully still awesome. I'd decided to broaden my horizons and venture into unexplored areas during the holidays...and the news today helped me to cement my choice. Please don't worry about me: I already have a new gig lined up in the not-too-distant future that's still 100% dedicated to gaming."

[EDIT]: Apparently the rumours suggest that Shane may be heading to work for Naughty Dog in some fashion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in case any of you don't listen to the CAGcast there's going to be a RebelFM podcast (per Cheapy) with Nick, Anthony, and Philip.

Sam Kennedy (1up EIC) Responds:http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8977607&publicUserId=4561231

lol it's amusing to see all these kiddies whine about how crappy UGO is and how much they hate 1up now.

Sam Kennedy is right and wrong, it was an inevitable move to save a sinking ship. However the whole "backing of a large company is the bestest thing ever" is not always the greatest. I work for a company that got acquired and after awhile content tends to suffer as people focus on short term growth and revenue gains.

NOW the difference is the company I work for has always been profitable, whereas ZD fell into bankrupcy... big difference. So in the end it was nothing but positive. If 1up continued as is, the company would have imploded anyway and the whole site would have collapsed leading to EVERYONE at 1up being laid off.

EGM died because of the times. Idiots can whine all they want about it, but that's how industries rise and fall. The death of EGM is nothing more than the common story of the dying print mag we see happening every day. People mourning the loss of EGM might as well be mourning the death of blockbuster & woolworths.........

[quote name='Zoglog']EGM died because of the times. Idiots can whine all they want about it, but that's how industries rise and fall. The death of EGM is nothing more than the common story of the dying print mag we see happening every day. People mourning the loss of EGM might as well be mourning the death of blockbuster & woolworths.........[/QUOTE]

Why should all the internet kids decide what gets to survive ?

I miss used record/CD stores and I will miss EGM .

[quote name='Zoglog']Sam Kennedy (1up EIC) Responds:http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8977607&publicUserId=4561231

lol it's amusing to see all these kiddies whine about how crappy UGO is and how much they hate 1up now.

Sam Kennedy is right and wrong, it was an inevitable move to save a sinking ship. However the whole "backing of a large company is the bestest thing ever" is not always the greatest. I work for a company that got acquired and after awhile content tends to suffer as people focus on short term growth and revenue gains.

NOW the difference is the company I work for has always been profitable, whereas ZD fell into bankrupcy... big difference. So in the end it was nothing but positive. If 1up continued as is, the company would have imploded anyway and the whole site would have collapsed leading to EVERYONE at 1up being laid off.

EGM died because of the times. Idiots can whine all they want about it, but that's how industries rise and fall. The death of EGM is nothing more than the common story of the dying print mag we see happening every day. People mourning the loss of EGM might as well be mourning the death of blockbuster & woolworths.........[/quote]

You have no idea why everyone is angry. We dont care about the magazine, most everyone cares for the podcasts.
1up staff, the best friends I never met.

This blows. I really liked the podcasts. They were great. UGO completely sucks. Even when Wombat was blogging there it still was crap. That site is terrible.

I hope Shane ends up working for Sony. He has a lot of potential and a great mind for the business. I assume Mielke will wind up in Japan; probably something involving Itagaki. Perhaps Ryan will land a gig with Blizzard? Good luck to all who lost their job. It simply stinks.

On a selfish note, I am unsure as to where I'll go to read reviews and see previews. While I browse Metacritic for reviews, I only trusted 1UP, as I 'knew' their staff. The 1UP Show provided entertainment, but, more importantly, good previews of selected games. I guess I'll start browsing Kotaku more often to fill the void 1UP will leave. Regarding reviews, I guess I'll begin browsing Giant Bomb.

RIP EGM & 1UP, you will be sorely missed. It's a damn shame so many good people lost their jobs today. I've been reading EGM since the beginning and nothing will ever be able to replace it. It's been a good run, but the end has come too much much too early.

Its not too late!

Quick sign up!

https://www.zdmcirc.com/zdmcirc/default.asp?LK=Edit_ML&I=egam

[quote name='EGM']THIS IS AN AUTOMATED CONFIRMATION EMAIL, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY

Thank you for your subscription order to Electronic Gaming Monthly! You should receive your first issue in 4-8 weeks in the United States and within 8-12 weeks outside the U.S.

We have your address as:

UGO can Suckmyballs
123 Screw UGO Ln.
Assburger, WA 98682
USA[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']Anthony?[/quote]

I think... I don't know. I barely know anyone's names.

EDIT: wait... It's Nick Suttner. Only person I really cared for on 1up to be honest.

[quote name='Richlough']Why should all the internet kids decide what gets to survive ?

I miss used record/CD stores and I will miss EGM .[/QUOTE]

it's not any particular individual. It's the masses and that's how it goes. People can bitch and moan all they want, but it won't change anything.

funny how some of the people who got laid off were smug bastards.

Never thought UGO (who really ever went there until Wombat got that blog gig?) Would basically take over 1up and have it mashed into one site, which is what I think they are doing. It makes more sense to me to have 1up be the main site, they should be dismantling UGO not 1up. Hearst might be this huge conglomerate but it seems like they don't know what they are doing.

It'd be like if Gamestop changed all their stores to Babbages instead of the other way around. I don't get it. Why did Hearst buy 1up and then fire all staff worth giving a damn about? Looks like we will be seeing more Giant Bomb sites soon.

RIP EGM.
I have issues of your magazine that go back to before I could read. Maybe those backissues of mine will actually be worth something now... ;)

First the GFW podcast and now this. I don't know if my gaming heart can take much more of this. Best of luck to all of those at 1up who lost their jobs and are moving on. A huge source of my gaming entertainment and news was lost today. I'll miss all the hilarious stories and intelligent conversations. Thanks for all the hard work. We all really, really appreciate all your poured into your jobs. And I can't wait to see where you guys end up on the other end of this tragedy. I'll be waiting and hoping. Cheers.

Get ready for some more obnoxious ads. Ign got bought up Newscorp. Gamefaqs to Gamespot. Gametrailers to Mtv. And now, 1up to UGO. I wonder who will buy Destructoid next?

I can't stand UGO! I was looking at their top 10 and I have to click on each page, which is full of ads to view the full results.

Post by Sam at Neogaf:

Hey guys, I haven't really read through this thread -- 50+ pages! -- and I probably won't ever be able to. But I did want to hop in here since, well, this is a pretty fucking big deal, I just lost almost half my staff, and God knows what sort of hate is flying around right now.

There's no way to rationalize this for most people, and I don't want to sugarcoat anything. My blog (for anyone that actually read all of it) was sincere -- this is a great thing for 1UP. Lord knows we need some better infrastructure and backing. As for many of the podcasts and other shows that we worked so hard on -- and the people that produced them -- obviously, not so much. And I'm not saying that's OK, and I'm not saying you should even be remotely fine with that -- it kills me (and, to be perfectly honest, even the UGO people), that not everything could be preserved.

And I'm not here to defend this. It freaking sucks. But from my vantage point, UGO did what they could to, what I consider, "save" 1UP. Obviously, all of us would have wanted to see things go differently -- most of all me, considering I just lost many of my closest friends as coworkers and employees today.

A couple of things to realize, though:

Fact: 1UP was a business that was losing money.

Fact: This economy sucks and the ad market is diminished.

Fact: Ziff Davis has been trying to offload 1UP for years.

With those sorts of factors playing against us, something had to give. Everyone loved the stuff we did, but our business wasn't in the best of shape (see: Ziff-Davis files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last summer).

My hope in all of this, over the last year or so, was that some company would come along and be able to buy 1UP -- the entire operation -- and run with it. And I think UGO had actually originally approached 1UP with those same hopes.

But the reality of the market was that no company, including UGO, was willing to sustain 1UP as it was. And that includes Ziff Davis. I hate to to break it to you, but the sad fact was that there was little hope for 1UP to continue as it had been. Not in this economy. If any company out there would have been willing to support us as we were, they certainly didn't step up.

The only company that really did was UGO, and they did their very best to continue 1UP.

So like I said, while UGO may appear like the bad guy here, in a lot of ways, they just did what few, if any, other companies would. And, from everything they've indicated to us, they are completely supportive of 1UP and its people. Believe me, they were in the office today and were just as distraught about the losses of any of these shows and the people.

Of course, that doesn't make things any better for any of us. Fact is, we -- as in, the games industry, not just 1UP -- are losing some great things today. I'm with you in mourning. But I have a commitment from the UGO guys that they -- now, actually, we -- are going to do whatever we can to help these guys out and look for ways to continue these shows with them and/or to look into possibilities for new shows in the future. I'm not saying everything will be back to "normal" as you knew it anytime soon, but I am saying there should be some good things to look forward to in the future.

But anyway, now's not the time to think ahead -- certainly not for me, at least. Right now I'm just concerned about my friends. I just came back from a night of drinks at our regular spot, where lots of the games industry showed up to show their support for the guys. Honestly, it was so great to see everyone come out for the team. While a part of me is certainly happy about what UGO/Hearst has just done for 1UP -- because, like I said, it could have been a lot worse -- today was the worst day of my life.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14274125&postcount=2629

Sad way to start 2009. I was getting excited for 1UP Yours, 1Up FM, and Retronauts. Hell the 1UP show is finished. I knew the magazine was done for with the last few months or so but 1UP being shaken up like this is a damn shame. I'll be looking to see where some of these people end up (Shane Bettenhausenn, Nick Suttner, Andrew Pfister to name a few). Maybe some will join GIantbomb. Either way it's an end of an era.

bread's done
Back