1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

Did anyone else know UGO still existed before this debacle? I thought UGO died years ago. I can't believe a shitty website like UGO would outlive a great website like 1UP.

[quote name='Chase']Did anyone else know UGO still existed before this debacle? I thought UGO died years ago. I can't believe a shitty website like UGO would outlive a great website like 1UP.[/quote]

You didn't notice Wombat worked for UGO? I think he might have been laid off or fired though...

Time for a lesson.

Certain magazines give away free subscriptions to boost their total readership. Why would they do that, you ask? Because ad rates are set, primarily, on the amount of readers a magazine has, from Newsweek on down to Cat Fancy. EGM was giving away free subs with the hope of being able to raise their ad rates and, thus, their revenue, which would make the magazine more profitable.

Class dismissed.

[quote name='Hostile']You didn't notice Wombat worked for UGO? I think he might have been laid off or fired though...[/quote]

I hate you wombat for accepting money from those pieces of shit.
Its like you took money from a terrorist organization.

[quote name='neocisco']Time for a lesson.

Certain magazines give away free subscriptions to boost their total readership. Why would they do that, you ask? Because ad rates are set, primarily, on the amount of readers a magazine has, from Newsweek on down to Cat Fancy. EGM was giving away free subs with the hope of being able to raise their ad rates and, thus, their revenue, which would make the magazine more profitable.

Class dismissed.[/quote]

YOU DIDNT PAY.
PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Lay off Wombat.
He was just working his ass off for a soda can per blog entry and maybe better chances at getting into the videogame biz.
Also, magazines and newspapers everywhere are dying off. It's not due to free subscriptions or any of that crap-it's the mere fact that print media is outdated.

This sucks. I went to 1up.com for all of my gaming related news. I guess I'll have to re-evaluate that. Sucks that EGM is going away, too, as I enjoyed reading the reviews in print form. I'm not a fan of reading reviews on my computer. Sigh.

My thoughts go out to RockSoildAudio in these trying times to not have a gig anymore. Ohhh how I shall miss my 1upFM and 1up Yours

[quote name='Hostile']You didn't notice Wombat worked for UGO? I think he might have been laid off or fired though...[/quote]

Ah yes, Wombat's Games Blog. :oops: Whoops.

It's still a damn shame a shitty website like UGO would outlive 1UP, though.

Eh, ZD offered me a magazine for free that I may have paid to subscribe to. And did, on occasion.

Don't blame me for taking advantage of a free offer. fuck you.

Now, I'm not too terribly concerned with where my subscription ends up. "Nylon Fetish Illustrated," "Your Dog's Ugly," or "Pictures of Vases N' Shit" - doesn't matter to me.

I'll miss EGM, as I really enjoyed it. But, hey. Them's the breaks, right? They went out of business, just like damn near all print publications will be in coming years. It's a sign of the times.

Do we still lament the loss of good-paying, stable "milk man" jobs due to the growth of supermarkets?

Some of these cats will remain in the games industry; some won't. It won't be equitable, and it won't be fair. It never is.

But it is what it is. If UGO sickens you that much, don't go to their website. Don't support Wombat's blog. It's not all that good, anyway. It's like being given the choice to read blogs that provide news as it happens but wading through the muck of garbage posts, bait posts, and annoying characters (other typical high profile gaming blogs), or waiting for the news to be posted on Wombat's UGO blog 14 hours after everyone else has reported it. And that's a "maybe" at best.

So, you know, fight the good fight if it serves you right. But you remind me of the anti-proposition 8 supporters in California, who mobilized *after* the bill passed and the public voted against their favor. EGM is gone, 1Up is gone, and UGO is a boring website that must be a tax write-off for some rich prick, 'cause god knows I don't read that shit.

But the point is, they're already gone. Your getting worked up to rally for support *now*? Allow me to offer up the "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" meme in your collective honor. Can't raise the dead, kids. Can't raise the dead.

This sucks so much. I've read EGM since issue #100 (last one was #236) in November 2007. I bought every issue until getting a subscription a couple years ago. That subscription was set to run through October 2010. I wonder if there will be a refund (doubtful) or a replacement (something shitty).

This is a sad day for me. While anyone can get the news and reviews online, I still enjoyed reading EGM the day I received it each and every month. I was fortunate enough to meet the crew at E3 2005, and all of them were class acts. I hope they start a new site, or something to that effect.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you're interested in getting a torrent of all the CGW/GFW Radio episodes in case the archives are deleted check out this thread on 1up.[/quote]

Sure. Why not?

Thanks for the link, Frisky Tanuki.

I doubt Wombat's still with UGO after this deal went through. He hasn't posted anything there in days, and he made cryptic references on the CAGcast and CAG Foreplay that made it sound like he'd been canned.

Which is good, because it means I don't have to visit UGO anymore.

[quote name='neocisco']Time for a lesson.

Class dismissed.[/QUOTE]

neocisco is absolutely correct. I worked in the newspaper industry doing advertising for three years and we made no money off the subscriptions; the .50 cents people paid during the week and $1.00 on Sundays didn't even cover the cost to print that issue, it was just a "token" way of counting subscriptions and trying to give the media some value. Hell, most of the newspapers were basically given away to colleges, military, etc, just to boost the circulation.

Advertisers don't care where your circulation numbers come from, they just care that you have them. Even with free subscriptions out there it was obvious that EGM's circulation was hurting badly. If you look in the December or January edition you will see the total paid and free subscriptions in an in-house ad near the reviews section...its not pretty.

The days of print media are coming to an end. The costs are too high and the returns to the advertisers (that pay for everything with their advertising dollars) are too low. There is barely any room in "old" media these days to make a profit when operating on such a large scale. Sure you can do it with community newspapers and smaller operations, but large ones like mainstream magazines and newspapers are slowly realizing this and going the way of the dinosaur.

Kind of sucks becuase I like sitting on the can reading my EGM's and Game Informers for a few months. Oh well.

[quote name='Wombat']So everyone knows, I am currently not employed by UGO[/QUOTE]

Change your user title! That shit's a flame magnet!

[quote name='EBPanthers21']On 1UP Boards, http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=games&thread.id=981770&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 , they have a list of everyone so far who is leaving. Garnett Lee! Shane Bettenhausen! UGO is so moronic. I hope Wombat knows how much of a tool he could look like being affiliated with such a dumbass-ran corporation like "Hearst" (How it should be spelled, with all the peoplethey are "killing off") Everyone with any talent is gone. The ending of Video Game Journalism has begun. Everyone fasten their seat belts, its gonna b a bumpy ride.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, Wombat was let go too.

Man, 1up Yours was possibly my favorite gaming podcast. Next to the CAGcast of course. :) This news stinks.

I also listened to Retronauts, 1up FM and watched the 1up Show.

I hope to hear some of these guys on new shows in the future.

[quote name='Wombat']So everyone knows, I am currently not employed by UGO[/quote]
Good to hear Wombat.

Eh, won't miss it, even though I had a free sub that was good until 2019 or some crazy shit like that.

[quote name='MadChedar0']Or wait, could this be the best EGM April Fools Joke ever?[/QUOTE]

...waits for MadChedar0 to realize the flaw in this logic...

[quote name='blackjaw']

Kind of sucks becuase I like sitting on the can reading my EGM's and Game Informers for a few months. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that must've been a hell of a poop!!!

;)

Glad to hear, Wombat. I hope that this is a frantic approach to duct tape a sinking ship that UGO should become. I hope they bought 1UP to try to save themselves, and I hope they know what a crucial blow they just brought upon themselves and the rest of the gaming community. 1UP had many talented personalities (In which they cut after looking forward to working with them? Come on) that I hope move on as one great, big unit to another (a la GiantBomb) website and become one of the great sources for video game news. Please CheapAssGamer, never, ever, go in the way of 1UP and don't ever let someone as crappy and talentless like UGO try to take over.

Well this is a fucking awful bit of news. I realize that EGM is really just a shell of its former self at this point, but I still enjoyed reading it and I'll miss it. But what bothers me more is how many staff members seem to be getting the axe. UGO bought the best in the business (or at least, some of the most interesting, personable people in it) and now they seem to be swiftly eliminating any good that could come of this deal. What a fucking mess.

[quote name='mykevermin']waiting for the news to be posted on Wombat's UGO blog 14 hours after everyone else has reported it. And that's a "maybe" at best.[/quote]

Burn.

I always assumed I'd outgrow EGM. It never once crossed my mind that EGM could outgrow me. I will absolutely miss it. It was my primary source of video game reviews and information. I abhor the thought of having to do all of that online. Print will always be superior to digital.

I feel like someone just hit in me in the stomach with a sledgehammer. This is just horrible news for me, I loved the crew over at 1UP. The 1UP Yours podcast was my absolute favorite podcast (sorry cagcast). No more 1UP Yours makes me want to cry honestly. I just feel horrible for everyone who got let go in such a shitty way. Damnit.

[quote name='Wombat']So everyone knows, I am currently not employed by UGO[/quote]

Man, I'm glad to hear that. I don't know if you stopped working for them or you were let go, but separating from them right now is a good idea. Their site and coverage is terrible. It's one of those sites that requires adblock just to view any kind of content. As far as I'm concerned I'm done with Ziff as well.

This may sound odd, but if you're a constant listener of podcasts you kind of build a rapport with the hosts...even though you don't know them. For instance I'd feel perfectly comfortable sitting in on a 1up yours because I'd be on the same wavelength. I think these corporations have no fucking idea about that kind of stuff when they makes these kinds of moves - they are looking at financials and nothing more.

From my perspective being a long time listener, it's insulting. Not only are they canceling an entertaining and informative show, but they are fucking those that made the show that way to begin with. With that in mind I'll never support Ziff or UGO in any way. Speaking with my money is all I can do.

Congratulations are in order to Dan Hsu... not only did you run EGM into the ground, but then you bailed before the final shoe... no pun intended... dropped.

Good job you talentless, overinflated hack.

This fucking sucks, what am I going to listen to on my commute to school? Pretty much everyone is gone except Garnett Lee and Sam Kennedy.

Considering the downhill quality of the podcasts (esp 1up fm & the NEW Lan Party) I say good riddance.
w/ the death of GFW Radio and the departure of good talent (Jeff Green, Jenn Tsao, Sean Elliot, Dan Hsu) it makes no difference anymore.

One thing I will miss is the 1up show, which was well done.

I told many people on the 1up boards that this was inevitable, podcasts got fewer and fewer commercials and their site traffic and reach constantly plummeted faster than the competition. That + the credit Crunch + the fact Ziff Davis was still under bankrupcy, it was only a matter of time.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']YOU DIDNT PAY.
PART OF THE PROBLEM.[/quote]

You didn't even read my post before quoting it, did you? If you did, you need to work on your reading comprehension. You clearly DO NOT know what you're talking about. Read the following quote and then go sit in the corner. You're in timeout.

[quote name='blackjaw']neocisco is absolutely correct. I worked in the newspaper industry doing advertising for three years and we made no money off the subscriptions; the .50 cents people paid during the week and $1.00 on Sundays didn't even cover the cost to print that issue, it was just a "token" way of counting subscriptions and trying to give the media some value. Hell, most of the newspapers were basically given away to colleges, military, etc, just to boost the circulation.

Advertisers don't care where your circulation numbers come from, they just care that you have them. Even with free subscriptions out there it was obvious that EGM's circulation was hurting badly. If you look in the December or January edition you will see the total paid and free subscriptions in an in-house ad near the reviews section...its not pretty.

The days of print media are coming to an end. The costs are too high and the returns to the advertisers (that pay for everything with their advertising dollars) are too low. There is barely any room in "old" media these days to make a profit when operating on such a large scale. Sure you can do it with community newspapers and smaller operations, but large ones like mainstream magazines and newspapers are slowly realizing this and going the way of the dinosaur.

Kind of sucks becuase I like sitting on the can reading my EGM's and Game Informers for a few months. Oh well.[/quote]

[quote name='neocisco']You didn't even read my post before quoting it, did you? If you did, you need to work on your reading comprehension. You clearly DO NOT know what you're talking about. Read the following quote and then go sit in the corner. You're in noob timeout.[/quote]

Yes I read your excuse for free subs.
They wouldn't need to give them out if people werent sharks waiting for them.

*pours one out*

well, I always had a blast reading the huge old issues. really didn't like the newer issues. sucks to see people lose jobs nonetheless.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Yes I read your excuse for free subs.
They wouldn't need to give them out if people werent sharks waiting for them.[/quote]

It's not an excuse, it's a common business practice in periodical publishing. Once again, you failed to read the accompanying post. Clearly, though, the concept is well beyond your comprehension.

EGM has been a shell of itself for several years, with ads seemingly outnumbering actual content, but 1up and its associated podcasts were great. SO many great personalities. I am curious to see how many go into development and how many move on to another gaming site.

at least everyone who got laid off can feel comfort that the whole world is going to hell w/ them.

At least they aren't in Somalia, the Gaza Strip, Zimbabwe, Iceland, Chelyabinsk, Detroit (o_O)....

Plus California's Unemployment is still there.

I'm just happy the company I work for still remains profitable, despite having the tighten the belt quite a bit (layoffs back in late 2009)

fuck. Now I gotta find something else to listen to on my Tuesday and Friday commutes. I was wondering why my iPod didn't sync this morning.

Not sure if anyone else talked about this, but PLAY magazine is one heck of a nice gaming and anime mag. Its been my favorite for a few years. I really hate to see EGM go. I have been reading it since day one, but PLAY is a worthy replacement.

bread's done
Back