1up officially bought by UGO. Goodbye EGM :(

It's unfortunate to see this happen ... nobody is safe from this struggling economy. I hope that these guys will land on their feet on whatever path that they choose. The people that were let go were some very talented individuals that I'm sure will have no problem finding a new job. As the saying goes, "when one door closes, another opens.".

I will miss their podcasts, especially with the chemistry that they had with each other. A 40 has been poured in their honor.

According to Nick Suttner's twitter page, there will be a aftermmath type podcast on Rebel FM. http://twitter.com/nsuttner

Gotta give it to all the kids on the internet that are calling for UGO exec's heads because they refuse to keep a money-bleed alive.

I love EGM too, well, LOVED. It was my favorite mag as a kid next to Nintendo Power (before it got all shitty), but it's gotta happen.

Just think....soon, all your childhood starts and pop culture references are going to be dead. What then? I mean, I hear all these kids talking about this Ben 10 shit, and I'm just like "What the fuck happened to the Ghost Busters, or the Ninja Turtles, or Ducktales?" Yes...We're getting old.

[quote name='Kerig']
Last EGM is January 2009. I hope they completely ignore videogames and simply make an issue entirely composed of personal EGM stories from the past 20 years. That would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

The January '09 edition is already out...came out in December, they work a month in advance. No more print editions, probably one last e-magazine or something to say goodbye and post their final reviews.

[quote name='Chase']I hope Shane ends up working for Sony.[/quote]

The last thing Sony needs is more employees who are drinking their Kool Aid.

it's weird that they blame the money bleed on the crew. They seem like the most talented, hard working crew around. Why not just give them a different framework to work in? fire the manager, not the team.

[quote name='ninja dog']it's weird that they blame the money bleed on the crew. They seem like the most talented, hard working crew around. Why not just give them a different framework to work in? fire the manager, not the team.[/quote]
They did.

Simon Cox is gone.

Ill third the how do I take a crap without EGM....guess I still have game informer....but man I fly through those and they just arnt as good!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think... I don't know. I barely know anyone's names.

EDIT: wait... It's Nick Suttner. Only person I really cared for on 1up to be honest.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that rocksolidaudio from CAG?

I remember playing halo 2 with him when the CAG clan was all the rage back in the day.

Hey

I don't wanna go to work today
Wanna stay home and play
All my video games

No

I don't wanna take it nice and slow
Wanna get ready to go
On the one up show

On the one up show
You know you'll be a star
On the one up show You already are
Everyday is like a holiday

So long, good bye
Im gonna run away right now

Game on
All night
I'm gonna be on
the one up show

On the one up show
One up, one up, one up...
On the one up show
On the one up show
On the one up show

[quote name='Chase']I hope Shane ends up working for Sony.[/QUOTE]

Hell I thought he already did. "Next gen rumble" :lol:

One of the many things that sucks about this is that I won't be reading about games I'm not interested in anymore. I know that sounds strange but I typically read EGM cover to cover, including the reviews of games I had no prior knowledge of or interest in. Games that got high scores I was more inclined to try.

[quote name='javeryh']One of the many things that sucks about this is that I won't be reading about games I'm not interested in anymore. I know that sounds strange but I typically read EGM cover to cover, including the reviews of games I had no prior knowledge of or interest in. Games that got high scores I was more inclined to try.[/quote]

Same here. I'll hear about all the overhyped games and the sequels, but I'll no longer hear about those obscure titles coming out. Things are changing: no more big clearances, no more Circuit City's, possibly no more vg mags...

I read a blog post(from the retronauts blog, no less http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8977660&publicUserId=5379721#comments ) that says that retronauts will still be around because all of them except Shane are still there. I was relived, otherwise I would've blown up Hearst's headquarters, then dumped myself in a vat of acid.

I understand the buisness part, I understand the EGM was a dinosaur, hell, I get that maybe not everyone is so sad to see some people go, I get all that, but for the love of god, why get rid of the people that make something what it is? Why "shake it up" when obviously (almost) everyone is fine with who's there? If you are big enough to buy this company, why aren't you rich enough to keep these people? I'm just glad they didn't get rid of everybody, because then there would be a riot.

[quote name='Nogib']Then clearly you are influenced by pretty pictures. [/QUOTE]
And you aren't? We are talking about the gaming industry...an industry that innovates largely with graphics. Actually, my favorite thing about Play is the fact that they have articles about some of the lesser marketed games and anime that most mainstream outlets don't.

[quote name='Nogib'] Dave Halverson destroyed GameFan and Gamers Republic so soundly that I assumed like everyone else that he'd do the same to Play. [/QUOTE]
GameFan was my favorite all time magazine. I also liked Gamers Republic.
[quote name='Nogib'] He has zero integrity. I dare you to find one negative review from him. It's editorial garbage at it's worst and you should be ashamed for even typing your response.[/QUOTE]

I've never been the type that needs to be told what to like or base my buys on a single review. If I'm going to look at a games review, I go to gamerankings.com. As for my response, I stand by it. I'll have my opinion and you will have yours. The only thing I'm ashamed of right now is that you, Nogib, have an avatar picture of one of my favorite all-time favorite game series (Star Control) but you still seem to be a douche.

i must admit i am very sadden by this. I have been reading EGM for 13 or 14 years, and even though its not that great...It was still a ritual of reading it every month cover to cover in a few craps over the first week or so of every month.

Bummer. I hope those affected are able to resurface by using their talent and experience. Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis and Brad Shoemaker have done a really good job in the past few months getting their new thing going over at giantbomb, although from a business perspective, I'm not sure how things look. (I wonder how they make money...)

Regardless, best of luck to them.

[quote name='letmeinnow']No more 1upshow:bomb::bomb:...:bomb:[/quote]

It always seemed crazy to me that Spike or G4 never aired the 1up show, it's better than anything on either channel now and it's produced by a relatively small team so in TV terms should be relatively cheap.

Of course, I think showing the video recording of 1up yours would have been better than anything they aired so I guess I'm biased.

I have read this article on a bunch of different news sites (kotaku, joystiq, destructoid) and I really really am saddened by it. EGM was the second mag I subscribed to (after Nintendo Power--hey I was a kid with a SNES, what did you expect). I have been with them for a long time, through EGM2, XpertGamer, and GameNOW (that last one is horrible, I admit). I really felt like they had much more journalistic prowess then the competition (cough game informer (which I am subscribed to through edge) and PC gamer (which I got subscribed to after CGW/GFW died).

I am now down to two magazines, both of which aren't as good as their Ziff Davis Counterparts. Anyone have any other recomendations for print mags?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ill third the how do I take a crap without EGM....guess I still have game informer....but man I fly through those and they just arnt as good![/quote]
Yeah, why would you read the toilet paper anyway?

I thought Jeff Green, former Editor in Chief of Games for Windows magazine, had some interesting things to say on his Greenspeak blog today.

While referring to 1UP Editor Sam Kennedy's blog post from yesterday, Jeff wrote: 'But since he's obviously hamstrung by having to put a happy face on this bloodbath, I'll just say what would have been nice to read, instead: "Our website is decimated. Our new owners failed to recognize the talent we had, which comes as no surprise since their own website values lowest-common-denominator pandering over quality content. We will do our best to do what we can, despite the fact that they gutted us. This fucking sucks."'

I think that last bit might have been a dig against Wombat.

that's just how the internet space works. Why do you think kotaku and joystiq shovel out meaningless sensationalistic crap?

PAGE VIEWS.

UGO wasn't bad about 6+ years ago...used to have some entertaining stuff.

1Up was alright...I always thought their reviews were shit, but overall the articles and editorials were good. Quite a shame...

What I wouldn't give for Gamefan to return, in some form...

The end of a legend. I don't care what they say, there'll always be a place for print.
*sigh* my bathroom time will never be the same.

I prefer "enthusiast press" as there's very little "journalism" going on.

I hate UGO. I hate that I won't see another episode of the 1up show.

At least there's still retronauts, and some form of 1up yours.

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be really good. I know it dosn't sound like it should be good, but the 1up crew has a chance to start their own thing with their own rules, so who knows?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be really good. I know it dosn't sound like it should be good, but the 1up crew has a chance to start their own thing with their own rules, so who knows?[/QUOTE]

True. Lots of people are mourning, but did you know the Chinese word for "crisis" is the same word they for "opportunity"? Cris-a-tunity!

sorry for the simpsons quote.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be really good. I know it dosn't sound like it should be good, but the 1up crew has a chance to start their own thing with their own rules, so who knows?[/quote]

Actually, some of the podcasts got canceled, as well as the 1UP Show, since the majority of the producers and crew got laid off.

Take it for what it is, but that might say something about both ZD and Hearst's confidence in the one thing that made 1UP popular in the first place.

[quote name='tolecover']Actually, some of the podcasts got canceled, as well as the 1UP Show, since the majority of the producers and crew got laid off.

Take it for what it is, but that might say something about both ZD and Hearst's confidence in the one thing that made 1UP popular in the first place.[/QUOTE]

he's saying the people who made those shows now have an opportunity to go make their own thing.

[quote name='tolecover']Actually, some of the podcasts got canceled, as well as the 1UP Show, since the majority of the producers and crew got laid off.

Take it for what it is, but that might say something about both ZD and Hearst's confidence in the one thing that made 1UP popular in the first place.[/quote]

What it says is that the podcasts didn't directly make ZD any money. Sure, listening to the podcast may have driven some traffic to the site, but since a vast majority of their podcasts had no advertising, they weren't making Ziff any money.

But yeah, the podcasts and The 1Up Show were the best things to come out of 1Up for sure. I'm definitely going to miss them - although Rebel FM (indie produced 1Up FM) and apparently an indie 1Up Show may be coming in the near future.

its a sad day for the gaming industry. EGM may be a shadow of its former self, but it was still darn good. From Steve Harris, Ed Semrad, Sushi-X:))) to now, its a sad day.

[quote name='ninja dog']he's saying the people who made those shows now have an opportunity to go make their own thing.[/quote]

exactly. Even though I'm not a fan of giant bomb, the gamespot/lynch fiasco basically created what giant bomb is today, so this 1Up thing may lead to something better and new.

That sucks Giant Donkey Nuts. :cry: Well at least I didn't renew my subscription yet. Oh yea that's right I paid for two years. DAMN YOU ZIFF-DAVIS!!! I shall play a requiem for EGM. Que Pachelbel's Canon :-({|=:-({|=:-({|=

Am I the only person on this site that doesn't watch video reviews/shows or listen to podcasts? The only time I went to 1up was when looking up reviews from Gamerankings or Metacritic and most of them seemed to be a hit or miss.

Because I don't visit there on a normal basis I really feel no attachment to the site or editors...I feel the same way as when Jeff at GS was let go...never watched his reviews or listened to his podcasts and have been over to GiantBomb once since it opened; he was just another dude that wrote reviews.

I don't know, I have too much going on in life and so little time for games as it is. My free time is spent on these forums searching for deals or commenting on blogs...I don't have time to watch video reviews or listen to podcasts. Give me a magazine that I can look at the pictures and scores or a website that I can scan the review or look at some bullet points.

I honestly couldn't name one editor of EGM and I've been reading it on and off since 1991 (been a "subscriber" for about two years). Maybe I don't pay enough attention or really care all that much.

The bottom line for me is that I have one less option to read when I poop..which kind of sucks, but I have a few other magazines that will be getting one more look over on those trips to the pooper.

Anyone else like this?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']exactly. Even though I'm not a fan of giant bomb, the gamespot/lynch fiasco basically created what giant bomb is today, so this 1Up thing may lead to something better and new.[/quote]

I hope so. I would sign-up day one, and definitely contribute to the community part in some form.

I'm assuming Shane is going to work for Sony in some capacity. He basically was wearing the sony hat during the last podcast.

[quote name='blackjaw']Am I the only person on this site that doesn't watch video reviews/shows or listen to podcasts?
[/QUOTE]

I don't either. I liked flipping through EGM on the shitter, but never had much interest in pod casts, video reviews or shows.

I'm just not into games enough to listen to a bunch of nerds who take games much more seriously than me (not that there's anything wrong with that, we're all nerdy in our own ways or we wouldn't be posting on web forums :D ) ramble on about games.

[quote name='blackjaw']Am I the only person on this site that doesn't watch video reviews/shows or listen to podcasts? The only time I went to 1up was when looking up reviews from Gamerankings or Metacritic and most of them seemed to be a hit or miss.

Because I don't visit there on a normal basis I really feel no attachment to the site or editors...I feel the same way as when Jeff at GS was let go...never watched his reviews or listened to his podcasts and have been over to GiantBomb once since it opened; he was just another dude that wrote reviews.

I don't know, I have too much going on in life and so little time for games as it is. My free time is spent on these forums searching for deals or commenting on blogs...I don't have time to watch video reviews or listen to podcasts. Give me a magazine that I can look at the pictures and scores or a website that I can scan the review or look at some bullet points.

I honestly couldn't name one editor of EGM and I've been reading it on and off since 1991 (been a "subscriber" for about two years). Maybe I don't pay enough attention or really care all that much.

The bottom line for me is that I have one less option to read when I poop..which kind of sucks, but I have a few other magazines that will be getting one more look over on those trips to the pooper.

Anyone else like this?[/quote]

I listen(ed) to their podcasts during my commutes and while I was at work. Those epic 3 hour podcasts hit the spot.

Anyway, I think it's interesting that 80 years later, William Randolph Hearst's company is STILL buying things just to destroy them.

oh man, yesterday I was all tired and shyt coz of other real life stuff...

I was like "damn 1up shutting down, this sucks coz I love 1up and their staff"

but now I'm all rested up, digesting a delicious In-N-Out lunch, saving all my energy up to get sum exercise after work...

... and I'm PISSED!!!

like, I'm finally in the appropriate physical and mental state to realize and process wtf jus happened.

:bomb: :bomb:

now I'm motivated to do something about this

bread's done
Back