20% Off eshop, Xbox, Facebook, iTunes cards @ Family Dollar 3/20-3/27

I was able to buy 4 $25 Xbox codes for $80. However, their printer fouled up (ran out of printer paper) when printing my pin codes. Only two printed correctly, and they told me they were unable to reprint the other two!

They said I could contact Microsoft to get the codes I paid for, but I'm not sure what I exactly have to do? Also Family Dollar has a "no refund policy" on gift cards/codes. Looks like I'm out $40.

I was able to buy 4 $25 Xbox codes for $80. However, their printer fouled up (ran out of printer paper) when printing my pin codes. Only two printed correctly, and they told me they were unable to reprint the other two!

They said I could contact Microsoft to get the codes I paid for, but I'm not sure what I exactly have to do? Also Family Dollar has a "no refund policy" on gift cards/codes. Looks like I'm out $40.

I'd just dispute the charge if i were you. There is no way you are getting the codes if they can't reprint

Well that was fun while it lasted. Every single store in the LA area has been cleared out. I managed to be around my old hometowns of Baldwin Park and West Covina which happens to have a Family Dollar at each respective city. No signs of any cards. I don't know how endless supplies of gift cards can be OOS. Feels like KMart 2010-2011 all over again with employees lack of knowledge and customer service.

Fortunately, I didn't have problems taking advantage of this deal. I did have to bail quickly when I saw these fellows approaching:

IIMdbYY.jpg
When the "Saints" come rolling in, you know it's time to leave

I went into two separate Family Dollars in the blac..oops I meant "sketchy" part of town and had no issues. One store had signage up and the other didn't. I took the cards to the register and they scanned just fine. From reading this thread some people just need to stick to online deals and not bother going to stores because the real world scares them.

I'd just dispute the charge if i were you. There is no way you are getting the codes if they can't reprint
I'll speak to Family Dollar Management there tomorrow about my situation. Give them the option of printing me out two new codes, or refunding my $40. I have my receipts.

Did the store run out of register receipt paper? That just sounds like the employees were too damn lazy to change it. Best of luck, man.

Did the store run out of register receipt paper? That just sounds like the employees were too damn lazy to change it. Best of luck, man.
A combination of both I think. Store was absolutely empty, and the cashier seemed clueless. Her supervisor was the one that took care of the purchase for me. I just got the impression that neither knew how to resolve the situation. Hopefully someone there tomorrow knows what they're doing.

Got a total of 160 in eShoo cards and went to another Family Dillar and had to internally laugh at the cashier who clearly didn't give a care. I tried to explain to him about the keyring to get the Xbox digital codes and he just looked at me and asked if I was on Mars. Ihe told me that I was holding up the line. I asked for his manager and he pulled a Dave Chappelle, ("I am the manager"). Asked for his superior and he said to call corporate. Said ok, rung up my purchase and left a nice, calm and detailed note about my experience.

I understand that Family Dollar tends to be located in neighborhoods that are considered lower income,(read black), but dammit, my freaking money is the same color as that being used in shops like Nordstroms. I live in this neighborhood, but I wish some employees of these establishments at would treat me the same way they would want to be treated. Yeah the pay is likely minimum wage, but I'm still paying. Owners of these businesses probably need to treat their staff a bit better.

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get it off my mind.

I just ran to three Family Dollars real quick. I figured I would wait until the sale's end so they could have everything ironed out with the MS cards.
First one had a sign on the door saying their systems were down. Second one had the cards, a sign up advertising the sale, and they had the key ring. They couldn't get any of them to go through though. At the third one the key ring wouldn't scan correctly either and they thought the cards were out of the system but then they found another key ring and scanned the $25 card. It worked and I said I would take it, the cashier said "didn't you want $50 though?" and voided it to ring up a $50. The $50 didn't work and they started looking at doing two $25's when I finally said "$25 for $20 is better than full price, so I am fine with just one $25."

Got a total of 160 in eShoo cards and went to another Family Dillar and had to internally laugh at the cashier who clearly didn't give a care. I tried to explain to him about the keyring to get the Xbox digital codes and he just looked at me and asked if I was on Mars. Ihe told me that I was holding up the line. I asked for his manager and he pulled a Dave Chappelle, ("I am the manager"). Asked for his superior and he said to call corporate. Said ok, rung up my purchase and left a nice, calm and detailed note about my experience.

I understand that Family Dollar tends to be located in neighborhoods that are considered lower income,(read black), but dammit, my freaking money is the same color as that being used in shops like Nordstroms. I live in this neighborhood, but I wish some employees of these establishments at would treat me the same way they would want to be treated. Yeah the pay is likely minimum wage, but I'm still paying. Owners of these businesses probably need to treat their staff a bit better.

I think people sometimes forget how little investment others have in jobs where they're paid minimum wage, but I'm fairly certain if I worked at Family Dollar, I probably wouldn't give much of a damn either. I also didn't know how many white CAGs there were before this deal existed.

Oh, wait - I totally did.

The site is going to be temporarily down, guys. The name is being changed to racistassgamer and the esurance banner ads are getting swapped for "Make America Great Again! 2016"

i bought 11 25$ xbl points for 220$ it wasnt working on the 50$ ones for some dumb reason

I didnt know David Duke posted on CAG

I worked at one of these places part time for some extra cash for a couple of months. The manager didn't know how to do her job so she worked 60+ hrs. a week until she eventually got fired. The asst. managers would read magazines and play on their phones right by the registers and refuse to open them up when it got busy because they didn't want to count out a drawer at night. To this day I don't understand how they stay in business, other than the fact they are in poor neighborhoods and the prices are cheap because their attitudes and the customer service sucks. Yeah I know it's minimum wage but if you work there that means you probably can't find a decent job, make the best of it and move on and up somewhere else. The stealing in this place was out of control, yet the company wouldn't even put in cameras. If they're to cheap to do that imagine the wonderful benefit package they offer let alone the training. They showed me how to login rang up a few customers with me and left me on my own. Of course he said call corporate they don't give a shit either.

Sorry my rant for the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to get too off topic but what in my post makes me a racist?
Not to speak for him, but I think it was the "low income (read black)" comment that some people might have found offensive. Or the allusion to Dave Chappelle. And this thread went off topic long before you posted. The deal is dead now anyway, but I just want to see if that one guy was able to get his $40 back or have the charge on his card reversed. Other than that, it's not really worth continuing the discussion.

Thanks Jose, I appreciate your response. Couple of quick points (not necessarily directed at you):
1) I'm black and I love my people
2) I live in a low income neighborhood (East New York, Brooklyn) and the majority of faces I see everyday are black and brown. The lower income quote was not meant to be gospel truth, but I can see how someone could assume otherwise. I'll do better next time to explain my sarcastic response to what others have more sinisterly implied in this thread before my post.
3) Many black people try to avoid spending significant portions of their income in these neighborhoods, partially because of substandard service and/or product. There are various other reasons of course, but why does this one have to be one? Employers should pay employees better and treat them fairer. This is something my rant ended with, but I see should have been emphasized for the name calling, misunderstanding peanut gallery.

Thanks Jose, I appreciate your response. Couple of quick points (not necessarily directed at you):
1) I'm black and I love my people
2) I live in a low income neighborhood (East New York, Brooklyn) and the majority of faces I see everyday are black and brown. The lower income quote was not meant to be gospel truth, but I can see how someone could assume otherwise. I'll do better next time to explain my sarcastic response to what others have more sinisterly implied in this thread before my post.
3) Many black people try to avoid spending significant portions of their income in these neighborhoods, partially because of substandard service and/or product. There are various other reasons of course, but why does this one have to be one? Employers should pay employees better and treat them fairer. This is something my rant ended with, but I see should have been emphasized for the name calling, misunderstanding peanut gallery.
Understood. It's easy to misread intentions and to take things that other people say to extremes. Besides, none of us really knows each other for real. I think that, regardless of race, creed or color, we can all agree that Family Dollar is a terrible place to shop, and it is that single truth that unifies us all.

Not to speak for him, but I think it was the "low income (read black)" comment that some people might have found offensive. Or the allusion to Dave Chappelle. And this thread went off topic long before you posted. The deal is dead now anyway, but I just want to see if that one guy was able to get his $40 back or have the charge on his card reversed. Other than that, it's not really worth continuing the discussion.
Yes I am also still keeping an eye on this hoping that CAG'r gets a refund of some sort. It's unfortunate that it was so hit and miss for people. For what its worth I also hope a deal like this happens again. I'm not a Family Dollar fan, but discounted points is hard to pass up on.

Yeah, that really sucks. I hope everything clears up for them.
I've worked retail and it's not difficult to change the register paper. That was perhaps the biggest example of laziness I've read about in a long time. It's basically opening a cover, dropping the spool in and feeding it through.

I got shot 6 times before I even made it inside the store. Bought two $25 Xbox codes and paid with my blood soaked cash. I walked out to find my car gone.

It's okay, though, no one took my Xbox codes!

Tried at mine last night.

Good news: Found some 20 dollar eshop ones.

Bad news: They were the older style ones. Which are NOT on sale. Meaning not in the system to be on sale.

So if your local store carried them, you would have been out of luck.

Reading the horror stories on here and the less than 50% success rate without any bs is why I didn't even try.

There were 2 FD stores I passed over the week but didn't want to deal with that situation.

Reading the horror stories on here and the less than 50% success rate without any bs is why I didn't even try.

There were 2 FD stores I passed over the week but didn't want to deal with that situation.
Quite a hassle, although it seems to be more attributed to poor communication between corporate and the stores themselves than the fear of getting jacked by thieves. That said, I would go back if they did a similar offer, but I would definitely bring cash. Cash seemed to make things go smoothly, although I'm still confused about why the sales girl thought that I needed to sign something.

For those of you keyboard warriors out there, I present you with this:

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2016/03/two_arrested_for_union_store_robbery_employee_pist.html#incart_river_home

This is an area near me. Happened just 4 minutes drive away from a Family Dollar within the same neighborhood. Guys held up a store and pistol whipped the owner. This is the kinda sh** that goes down in these types of neighborhoods.
Glad I didn't get pistol whipped for my Live codes, especially since this week's sales are so horrible.

Yes I am also still keeping an eye on this hoping that CAG'r gets a refund of some sort. It's unfortunate that it was so hit and miss for people. For what its worth I also hope a deal like this happens again. I'm not a Family Dollar fan, but discounted points is hard to pass up on.
Update for everyone. I was able to get a refund of $40 plus tax ($42.40) in Store Credit.

The Manager/Supervisor that helped me reiterated what was said that night too after my pin codes weren't able to print. That the cashier should have known that she was running out of paper, and was too lazy to change it. The fact I brought my printed receipt and the sides of the receipt were red (a visual cue that the ribbon needs changed- I always wondered about that) was proof of that.

Also, I believe the Manager would have sold me another two cards for $20 each (even though the sale ended Sunday) if not for the fact I was running late for work.

She gave me the $2.40 in tax (6% sales tax in Iowa) too even though I said to her that the codes were tax free. She said "For all the trouble and inconvenience this has caused you, I'm letting you have that".

I'll just wait for the next time they offer this deal again and use my store credit then.

Props to you for being cool about it. If I'd have gotten store credit instead of cash back I would've still felt jipped.

Update for everyone. I was able to get a refund of $40 plus tax ($42.40) in Store Credit.

The Manager/Supervisor that helped me reiterated what was said that night too after my pin codes weren't able to print. That the cashier should have known that she was running out of paper, and was too lazy to change it. The fact I brought my printed receipt and the sides of the receipt were red (a visual cue that the ribbon needs changed- I always wondered about that) was proof of that.

Also, I believe the Manager would have sold me another two cards for $20 each (even though the sale ended Sunday) if not for the fact I was running late for work.

She gave me the $2.40 in tax (6% sales tax in Iowa) too even though I said to her that the codes were tax free. She said "For all the trouble and inconvenience this has caused you, I'm letting you have that".

I'll just wait for the next time they offer this deal again and use my store credit then.
A fitting end for this thread before the mods move it to the Deals Graveyard. Glad they decided to do right by you.

For those of you keyboard warriors out there, I present you with this:

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2016/03/two_arrested_for_union_store_robbery_employee_pist.html#incart_river_home

This is an area near me. Happened just 4 minutes drive away from a Family Dollar within the same neighborhood. Guys held up a store and pistol whipped the owner. This is the kinda sh** that goes down in these types of neighborhoods.
Come on now you could pick a better area example than this. Union center isn't even a "shady" part of town, and Union overall is pretty average. I'm sure you know there are other towns, with Family Dollars in rougher areas.

Maybe your should hold that manager to that $20 card offer. Anyway Glad to hear it worked more favorably than it could have.

Come on now you could pick a better area example than this. Union center isn't even a "shady" part of town, and Union overall is pretty average. I'm sure you know there are other towns, with Family Dollars in rougher areas.
Oh trust me if you keep going east you end up in Elizabeth and there's Irvington and Newark nearby as well. I went to grad school in Newark and every other day I'd see alerts about students being robbed at gunpoint on campus. I was just giving an example since it was literally 4 minutes away from a Family Dollar and people in this thread were downplaying these areas a little bit. Trust me there's real shady stuff going on out there and if you're not careful you can get caught up in it.

bread's done
Back