20% Off eshop, Xbox, Facebook, iTunes cards @ Family Dollar 3/20-3/27

I stopped by my Family Dollar for the Xbox gift cards and found out that the $50 SKU wouldn't scan and say invalid amount. I then asked about $25 SKU's and those worked just fine. Unsure about the $15 SKU. So I just bought 5 of the $25 gift card codes rather than 2 $50 codes.
I think you cracked the issue. Same thing happened at my store and eventually worked on the $25 codes.

So if buying xbox credit go for the $25 denominations and not the $50?

Gotcha.

You can use itunes cards to buy netflix?
Sign up netflix on a AppleTV and the subscription can be taken from your itunes account funds. You can do that with Crunchyroll too as well.

Considering netflix is a must in my household and itunes GC gets discounted constantly seemed like a good route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by my Family Dollar for the Xbox gift cards and found out that the $50 SKU wouldn't scan and say invalid amount. I then asked about $25 SKU's and those worked just fine. Unsure about the $15 SKU. So I just bought 5 of the $25 gift card codes rather than 2 $50 codes.
I was just going to buy one of the $25 cards for $20 assuming that the Spring Sale is worth putting my money toward. Is it a gift card that must be bought from the rack or a gift code bought at the register? I'm going to go home and change before I go to Family Dollar anyway. I wouldn't wear my shirt and tie there since a lot of beggars frequent that shopping center.

I went to one today in the ghetto. They didn't have the cards but she tried to scan a $25 Microsoft printout to get the code on the receipt. It didn't work and I left because I had to get to work. And I almost got robbed on the way to my car.

I had the same issue with the $15 Xbox cards.  The cashier tried to override it when I showed her the sign, but she couldn't.

Well I might have to swing by a local Family Dollar to get some iTunes cards. Hearthstone expansion is coming soon so I would love to spend 20% less on that.

Too bad a no go on PSN as that would be ideal for me but I am happy with the iTunes.

No luck with the $25 codes at my store.  

Tried both a Nintendo and Xbox code and neither were discounted when she went to the total.  I might go back to try it again later in the week.  

Was near a Family Dollar tonight. Out of physical cards. She tried to override a digital with no luck. Might try later in week.

The portion of society that shops at Family Dollar regularly aren't usually the best quality of people. It is what it is. Clearly the store caters to certain demographics.

All I'm saying is Fred's>>Dollar General>>>>>>>>>>>>Family Dollar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqH3zaMco4

Ok, here is some info from my trip:

Only certain SKU/UPCs work, I tried a $15 dark blue iTunes card and it was a no go.  The manager there said that someone did buy up all the $15 cards that did work.

$x-$y iTunes cards won't work either.

Getting digital Xbox codes from them doesn't work, which I expected but tried anyway.

$35 eShop cards didn't work, but $20 at least did!

Obviously they wouldn't/couldn't override the stuff.

Overall meh, unless there are some reports of more success with other cards I doubt I'll even try Thursday when I am in the area of another one(which will most likely be cleared out by then...), at least I got some eShop credit out of it.

I feel like since most stores might be out of the physical cards soon, it could be safe to bring your own and buy them there.

Went to one Family Dollar and tried to buy a $15 digital XBL code, and the lady at the register was very confused by what the product even was. "It says this is a gift card, but I don't see how you can swipe this on something. There's no barcode!" :roll:  It was a little funny. Regardless, didn't work, called manager over, couldn't fix it. Went to another Family Dollar and I bought that $15 XBL card and a $20 eShop card for 20% off each, no problems whatsoever. Lady was also super-nice. If at first you don't succeed, maybe try another Family Dollar. Worked for me.Thanks to the OP for posting. I may get yet another $20 eShop card later this week if it tickles my fancy.

Went to one Family Dollar and tried to buy a $15 digital XBL code, and the lady at the register was very confused by what the product even was. "It says this is a gift card, but I don't see how you can swipe this on something. There's no barcode!" :roll: It was a little funny. Regardless, didn't work, called manager over, couldn't fix it. Went to another Family Dollar and I bought that $15 XBL card and a $20 eShop card for 20% off each, no problems whatsoever. Lady was also super-nice. If at first you don't succeed, maybe try another Family Dollar. Worked for me.Thanks to the OP for posting. I may get yet another $20 eShop card later this week if it tickles my fancy.
I just had a pretty similar experience as the lady had no idea how to scan it and then of course when she found it it was ringing up full price. She was gonna call corporate but I was in a bit of a hurry so just got a $20 EShop card for $16 and called it a day.

Ok, here is some info from my trip:

Only certain SKU/UPCs work, I tried a $15 dark blue iTunes card and it was a no go. The manager there said that someone did buy up all the $15 cards that did work.

$x-$y iTunes cards won't work either.

Getting digital Xbox codes from them doesn't work, which I expected but tried anyway.

$35 eShop cards didn't work, but $20 at least did!

Obviously they wouldn't/couldn't override the stuff.

Overall meh, unless there are some reports of more success with other cards I doubt I'll even try Thursday when I am in the area of another one(which will most likely be cleared out by then...), at least I got some eShop credit out of it.
Yeah I knew once she scanned the digital card I was dead in the water. The sign that was over the Gift cards mentioned all the SKUs that work.

She said should get more cards Thursday or Friday. I will be over that way on Friday so will try again. And I will drive by a different one on Saturday. If not no big deal. I only want $50 in credit. Not going to waste gas and time chasing down $10 in savings.

My store only had the cards that explained on the back to take it to the register to purchase and my code will be printed on the receipt. There was no barcode on the back of the card. The guy at the register had to use a stack of laminated cards with the barcodes on them to scan into the register. Actually had to use a different set of cards that finally worked.

I was also told that there was some 10% off coupon that got sent out in the mail and that isn't working either for them.

Could be a POS issue that they can fix later in the week.

Went to two family dollars, and neither of them worked for 50 or 25 dollar XBL cards. Manager couldn't override it, was a bit frustrating.

Been hoping that Best Buy would do this again ever since FE:Fates came out so I could get the DLC.  Will have to try it out.

Is there some reason that BB/Target/etc. wouldn't price match if you go buy and grab the ad?

I tried to get two $35 eshop cards, but they rang up full price. I showed the guy that they were supposed to be on sale, and he looked at the picture and said only the $20 cards were on sale. Then he grabbed just two $20 cards to sell to me, even though I was clearly trying to buy more.

I wound up getting the last three $20 cards in the store. And no coupon on the receipts like others have said. I know that they used to though; they must have stopped recently.

Was able to get a few $15 Xbox cards for $12 each.

They had to dig through a drawer looking for the UPC cards. One of them couldn't authorize, but the other did just fine. 

Now that I think of it they only had one spot on the rack for all 3 dominations of XBox cards. Bet they never had physical cards at that location. Still might try again on Friday since I will be in the area anyway.

I tried to get two $35 eshop cards, but they rang up full price. I showed the guy that they were supposed to be on sale, and he looked at the picture and said only the $20 cards were on sale. Then he grabbed just two $20 cards to sell to me, even though I was clearly trying to buy more.

I wound up getting the last three $20 cards in the store. And no coupon on the receipts like others have said. I know that they used to though; they must have stopped recently.
The sign I saw at my store at least only indicated the $20 eshop cards were valid for the sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqH3zaMco4
At the end, the camera dude said he was going to snatch the kid up in the store, even though he had about 8 chances and let him go. I did like how when the kid held up the umbrella like he was going to hit him, he was like "you gon' lose your life." So badly do I wish the kid had taken a swing, though I'm guessing the video wouldn't have been uploaded. I so wish the cameraman followed that kid so we could see his mom's reaction.

I just watched another video of the same incident. The kid is pinned down at the end by the guy that walked him out. The video states that the kid was angry because the store didn't sell candy canes. The comments on this first video indicates that it occurred in Florida and that it was 10k worth of damage. I don't know how true any of that is though.

I just watched another video of the same incident. The kid is pinned down at the end by the guy that walked him out. The video states that the kid was angry because the store didn't sell candy canes. The comments on this first video indicates that it occurred in Florida and that it was 10k worth of damage. I don't know how true any of that is though.
$10,000 worth of stuff in a Dollar Store?

Obvious hoax.

Yeah I find it hard to believe. The comments are funny because they said that the kid destroyed $50 worth of goods

To get the Xbox live credit sale to go through, I selected $15 increments and I had to buy a pack of 35cent gum since the system seemed to need a physical item in the sale. The codes were then printed on a receipt. It's pretty easy.

They also wanted me to pay with cash or debit card. I said sure and I used my credit card anyway.

And you guys sound like a bunch of whiners who have lived a sheltered life instead of dealing with people in the real world. This is a store that sells many items found in all grocers. Put on your big boy pants and get the deal.

And you guys sound like a bunch of whiners who have lived a sheltered life instead of dealing with people in the real world. This is a store that sells many items found in all grocers. Put on your big boy pants and get the deal.
Yep.

Also, 15 worked for me. 25 rang up with no discount. And 50 was denied.

Third. Does BB have a list if retailers they match?
They match most local competitors, even will match at time some website. But if their is a Family Dollar with in 30 to 50 miles from the BBY they should price match.

Now I just wanna know if they price match this item.

I know on their website policy it so no pricematch of gift cards... but I do not think this is considered a giftcard.

May give it a shot still. Double reward points for going through Best Buy, plus certs if you have them. Doubt anyone is toting Family Dollar gift cards.

My local Family Dollar is on the main road in town.  Nice area.  Not likely to be mugged.  It looks like the strip mall it's in was built maybe this decade.  My past experience with seeing Family Dollars were much more rundown, though.  I've seen K-Marts look like that, for example.  Probably just a function of "making enough to sustain this location but not enough to move to a new area when the current area goes downhill."  Not all Family Dollars are in troubling areas, though, so wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the topic.

Had some minor issues with getting 6x $25 codes, as the guy at the register tried scanning the $25 purchase UPCs from a big ring of codes for all of their digital products and had it not take the discount off of the $25 price. 

He dug around a bit and found a much smaller group of codes on a different set of cards on a ring, most of which seemed to be XBL GCs.  He scanned one of the $25 codes and it rang up as $20.  Rung up the other five and they were all $20 each.

Just redeemed all six codes, no issues with any of them redeeming.

Turns out there is a Family Dollar near my job. No XBox live cards at all physical or in their keyring behind register. Will try the place near my house again on Friday to see if they have actual physical cards or if the cashier can get the codes to work. Way too much work to save $10.

May give it a shot still. Double reward points for going through Best Buy, plus certs if you have them. Doubt anyone is toting Family Dollar gift cards.
Please let us know how it goes. I live about 25 miles away from one, so hate making the long trip only to get shut down.

No problem at mine. Bought 6 $15s (Xbox) by having a cashier scan a laminated index card on a keyring. The codes printed on seperate receipts.

bread's done
Back