20% Off eshop, Xbox, Facebook, iTunes cards @ Family Dollar 3/20-3/27

I have 3 Family Dollar stores in my town, but they're all in extremely shady neighborhoods. Our local weekly ad makes no mention of the gaming card deal. Is it worth risking my personal safety to drive and check, or is this likely a regional deal?

I have 3 Family Dollar stores in my town, but they're all in extremely shady neighborhoods. Our local weekly ad makes no mention of the gaming card deal. Is it worth risking my personal safety to drive and check, or is this likely a regional deal?
It's at every Family Dollar, YMMV for the competence of the staff. Shrike and I had no issues in south St. Louis County (on Thursday) but as you can see others aren't as lucky.

For us in STL it was in the ads that come every week via postal mail, it was a 4-page flyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the consensus is that the Xbox deal works then? I have one a couple miles away, also in a shady neighborhood (go figure) but it's worth it to stock up on some cash in preparation for Quantum Break.

Just tried again at my location for Xbox cards. Now, the UPC on the ring behind the counter can't be used at all. Some shady stuff right there from Family Dollar corporate.

I am amazed at the amount of people terrified of low income neighborhoods. It's not as if there are hourly drive-by shootings and gangs of "thugs" waiting to mug you at the Family Dollar. It's okay, the "poors" don't bite and their poverty is not contagious.

just go. You can't be a pussy forever. SMH

Right. The register wouldn't accept the UPC code for any Xbox card on the ring. Meaning: They couldn't sell them to me.
That's a bummer. Is it worth me heading over and trying or is it just a one-off situation in your store? This is crazy how badly they're handling it. Any other store would've overrided the deal manually because it says in their own f***ing ad that it's supposed to work. These guys just shrug and let you walk out of there with empty hands. That's bad business.

I am amazed at the amount of people terrified of low income neighborhoods. It's not as if there are hourly drive-by shootings and gangs of "thugs" waiting to mug you at the Family Dollar. It's okay, the "poors" don't bite and their poverty is not contagious.
Haven't read the entire thread so perhaps some people gave that impression. Not here though. To be honest I'm just too lazy to drive all the way there more than anything. The bad neighborhood remark was out of pure amusement. These stores really are only in bad areas.

7-11 robbed a couple doors down from a Family Dollar I might try tomorrow. I will be in that hood tomorrow afternoon. Sorry some area are shit holes and I can understand people not wanting to deal with it for a few bucks. Especially when half the time people aren't even able to actually get the deal.

http://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2016/03/24/man-arrested-robbing-poughkeepsie-7-eleven/
"the male suspect took the cash register drawer containing several hundred dollars"

Yeah, that's right....SEVERAL hundred dollars. For a few moments he was a hundredaire.

That's a bummer. Is it worth me heading over and trying or is it just a one-off situation in your store? This is crazy how badly they're handling it. Any other store would've overrided the deal manually because it says in their own f***ing ad that it's supposed to work. These guys just shrug and let you walk out of there with empty hands. That's bad business.
You can't just force a transaction with these cards. If an employee were to just make it a generic item and charge the proper price, the card isn't activated nor will a code be printed out on a receipt(it seems there are two types of Xbox GCs). My experience with Family Dollar employees isn't all that great, but you can't blame them for not magically being able to get the system to accept the bar code.

I tried multiple family dollars with no luck. Some couldn't get the key ring to discount the card and others had no idea there was a key ring. Bestbuy priced matched the physical ad no problem

You can't just force a transaction with these cards. If an employee were to just make it a generic item and charge the proper price, the card isn't activated nor will a code be printed out on a receipt(it seems there are two types of Xbox GCs). My experience with Family Dollar employees isn't all that great, but you can't blame them for not magically being able to get the system to accept the bar code.
Not saying I blame the employee. My gripe is with the company as a whole. The deal's been going on for 5 days out of their week and they still haven't fixed it. You would think corporate would have gotten their sh** together and activated it within their system since they planned to have the sale. This is false advertising.

Here's the sale poster I saw...
9e237ba9fa24af7ac4d541d64619df06.jpg

But...El Hoardo(s) strikes in Whitter, CA!
128ff558ec6feea6f81ff3642b100dfe.jpg

Walked in, grabbed 2 $20 cards, checked out. Easy as cake. The only trouble I had was getting my baby to calm down.

That's right, I took a 6-month-old baby into a Family Dollar. Judging by the responses in this topic, I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as an Internet Badass.

I had no idea I even had a family dollar anywhere close. There in parts of the town we just drive around rather then through so never knew they were there. First one had no $20 Nintendo cards and no Xbox cards at all. The second had all of them. I grabbed two $20 Nintendo cards and one Xbox card. The Nintendo cards rang up fine the Xbox card didn't work and they needed the key ring. The upc on the key ring for $50 was "invalid". so I had to get two $25.

Walked in, grabbed 2 $20 cards, checked out. Easy as cake. The only trouble I had was getting my baby to calm down.

That's right, I took a 6-month-old baby into a Family Dollar. Judging by the responses in this topic, I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as an Internet Badass.
Was your baby "strapped?"

Haha, try a very mobile 18-month-old screaming because she wanted to get down in the store :). Heading back to get more at some point today....without the child :).

The display at the store near my house was exactly like that. They were out of the 15/25/50 cards though. I was wondering how they all fit on one spindle. Supposedly some guy refills the GCs on Thursday or Friday but haven't been over that way since Tuesday.

Might not bother to stop at that one last FD today. Shoprite (North East grocery store) had $10 back on $50 in select GCs. They were out of the XBox cards (had the 3 month subs only). But it was also good on Game Stop so picked up two $25s. Probably need PSN or Amazon credit more then XBox credit. But my local game stops sell me any of them and let me us a Game Stop GC. Or might use my buy 2 get 1 used item free.

Maybe not as sweet as walking out with $50 credit for $40 but $10 back at Shoprite and CVS is close enough. Will use the CVS $10 coupon today and Shoprite next week when we shop for groceries again.

Anyway good luck to those still trying to get some credit.

Here's the sale poster I saw...
9e237ba9fa24af7ac4d541d64619df06.jpg

But...El Hoardo(s) strikes in Whitter, CA!
128ff558ec6feea6f81ff3642b100dfe.jpg

The display at the store near my house was exactly like that. They were out of the 15/25/50 cards though. I was wondering how they all fit on one spindle. Supposedly some guy refills the GCs on Thursday or Friday but haven't been over that way since Tuesday.

Might not bother to stop at that one last FD today. Shoprite North East (grocery store) had $10 back on $50 in select GCs. They were out of the XBox cards (had the 3 month subs only). But it was also good on Game Stop so picked up two $25s. Probably need PSN or Amazon credit more then XBox credit. But my local game stops sell me any of them and let me us a Game Stop GC. Or might use my buy 2 get 1 used item free.

Maybe not as sweet as walking out with $50 credit for $40 but $10 back at Shoprite and CVS is close enough. Will use the CVS $10 coupon today and Shoprite next week when we shop for groceries again.

Anyway good luck to those still trying to get some credit.
When I went to get Xbox credit the other day, the Xbox cards looked the exact same way, which was why they had to scan the key ring to get the codes to ring up. I'm assuming that the Family Dollar store in the photo never had physical cards just like the second one I went to. In other words, you tell the cashier which denomination you want and he or she will ring it up for you. I wish they had Shoprite here, but they don't. At the moment, I could use a GameStop gift card deal because I could get way more use out of a Steam card than an Xbox card.

The first store I went to tried the keyring cards the first time.  Second time manager was there and said keyring cards will not work.  Need physical.  Store near my job had limited gift cards, no poster, no physical or Live cards on the keyring the cashier looked through.

Tempted to try one last time at a different store but I was able to pickup $50 GS credit and $50 Live this week and get $20 back.  Both times it just worked.  CVS cashier pointed out the coupon at the bottom of the receipt.  The Shoprite cashier did not.  It was one of those catalina coupons which some times are out of paper but was all good this time.  

Probably good enough for me.  Will have to see how pressed I am for time later when I am running errands.   

I almost wanted to make a post examining the socio-economic implications of self-titled "cheepasses" mocking the poor and belittling the underpaid workers whose low pay makes this "deal" possible, and the irony of it.

But then I remembered these are also the same people who are viscerally angry they can't save $5 off a video game card, so they clearly are not to be reasoned with. :rofl:

Went on a bike ride and hit up two (yes, I go on long bike rides). Wasn't expecting much and welp, I got nothing. One store didn't even sell iTunes/Console gift cards.The other was cleaned out by someone. Literally was left with the scraps of $15 iTunes cards with $25/$50 cards gone. eShop cards were cleaned out too. Didn't bother grabbing the $15 cards. 

Guessing the cards that can be any value (iTunes) probably didn't apply for the discount so I passed. Regardless, thanks OP. 

Made another trip, was able to get 5 X $20 Nintendo eShop cards and 4 x $25 XBL codes.   No sign of iTunes cards anywhere, so took the ad to Target and had them PM 2 x $50 iTunes cards. 

Its not worth the drive after striking out on another location. I know that eBay usually sell iTunes cards at 20% off every month so I guess it's no rush. Thanks OP.

Made another trip, was able to get 5 X $20 Nintendo eShop cards and 4 x $25 XBL codes. No sign of iTunes cards anywhere, so took the ad to Target and had them PM 2 x $50 iTunes cards.
So you bought all the EShop cards. :)

I got the only one I wanted on Thursday so it's fine; went back in for a 2nd XBox code to get Elite Dangerous while it was on sale (first code was for Borderlands Collection.)

So you bought all the EShop cards. :)

I got the only one I wanted on Thursday so it's fine; went back in for a 2nd XBox code to get Elite Dangerous while it was on sale (first code was for Borderlands Collection.)
Guess I'm a bad, bad man for picking up the 5 that I needed. ;)

I just wish I could have picked up the iTunes cards there, though Target + 5% Red card discount made up for the time spent.

Guess I'm a bad, bad man for picking up the 5 that I needed. ;)

I just wish I could have picked up the iTunes cards there, though Target + 5% Red card discount made up for the time spent.
I was just teasing you. I'm glad a CAG got them all. I only bought one to get Earthbound at a discount and have $10 held over for some other 3DS sale.

Took a nap, overslept and missed out on buying more Xbox credit at Family Dollar today. When I woke up, I drove to a grocery store in an affluent neighborhood and paid full price for a $20 Steam card.

And I will truly miss this thread now that the deal is dead.

Finally struck out as the clerk couldn't scan any of the Microsoft cards. Total YMMV per location.

The Family Dollar in Irvine I had no issues earlier this week. Staff were courteous and smiled. Bounce into the one here in San Bernardino, they have permanent frowns on their faces and the manager said he can't get em to scan. Asked if there was anything he can do and he just held his stare in silence for 3 whole seconds and said no. Left pissed off and as I walked to my car, saw two guys walking from car to car, trying to open door handles and peering in to see what's inside.

Again YMMV and never roll into the San Bernardino California stores if you want good service. And lock your doors, hide yo wife

Went to Family Dollar just to get another card before this deal was up and had a hard time finding the Xbox giftcards since they were separated from the Google Play ones. The cards had blank backs anyways so the cashier just had to scan the keyring card. The discount was not working for the $15 cards though, but they already seemed to know it would work with the $25 one, so I just got one of those. Was able to use a credit card rather than a debit or cash with no questions asked. Now to wait for digital sales that are actually comparable to those of physical copies.

Target gave me trouble for a price match.  First they told me Family Dollar wasn't a competitor.  After I called customer service to have them sort the issue with the manager, I went to the store.  For some reason I was being charged tax on these when I don't believe I should have been.  These were nintendo cards.  I ended up just going to bestbuy instead.

is the 50$ xbl point cards 40 with this and also did they charge tax

so they charge taxes on season pass and game cards but not point cards
I don't think anyone anywhere is allowed to charge tax for gift cards. It's a "cash for cash" deal. The tax comes when you purchase a product with that card.

Meanwhile, game cards and season passes are considered products so you're taxed on them.

Went back just now and bought another $25 Xbox code for $20. Same woman rang me up as the other day and I had to explain to her about the key ring and how she used that to ring me up. I paid cash, and she asked me if I was supposed to sign something. I said no and wished her a happy Easter. No one loitering in front of the store since it was raining pretty hard today. I'm planning to use the $75 worth of credit I bought to pick up a few of the XBLA hidden gems I've been wanting on 360 and save the rest for weekly sales. This week's Spring Sale on Xbox Live was pretty much a bust for me since I already owned most of the games that were worth buying.

bread's done
Back