2006 Super Bowl Champions Pittsburgh Steelers AKA Official NFL Discussion Thread #4

[quote name='spoo']No he did not you could read Bill's lips @ the end of the game asking "where is Mike?"
I made a post about about it a page or 2 back. It is BS and it shows how much of a man Mike is :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Even though I was supporting the Hawks I thought that was pretty weak of him.

[quote name='spoo']No he did not you could read Bill's lips @ the end of the game asking "where is Mike?"
I made a post about about it a page or 2 back. It is BS and it shows how much of a man Mike is :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
What an asshole.

I remember seeing a post or question about mike but I didn't see a reply becuase I was weeding through all of the bitching post and post from people who only watch and get their expertise from the superbowl.

Mike Holmgren showed the world once again that he is more lucky than he is a football genius; and his luck ran out again tonight (as it did against Denver a few years back).

[quote name='2fast_2fuhrer']Most accurate statement I've heard all night. Where were the trailers for X-Men 3 and Super Man Returns? I thought they'd bring out new trailers for both of those for the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. I would've even taken the same teaser trailers that are on the net. Just give 'em to me in HD. :D

Speaking of commercials, the mix of SD, 2 channel HD, and 5.1 HD was fucking annoying. I wish it would be all one way instead of that ear-fuck of a mix.

Lotta whining about the officiating out there tonight. Sometimes the calls go your way and sometimes they don't. The Steelers deserved to win and they did. All the crying isn't gonna take it off the record books.

[quote name='$hady']:fridge:

That pretty much sums up this season for me...[/QUOTE]

that offensive pass interference made up for the no int call in the Colts game. It might not have been much to call but it was the right call...I was out partying hard in the Southside!!! GO STEELERS!!! WHOO HOO!!

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']We win, I was there, it wasn't pretty but Super Bowls aren't remembered on style points.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was an extremely boring Super Bowl. Seattle pretty much marched up and down the field at will and couldn't seem to score (both due to thier miscues and some questionable calls by the refs). Pittsburgh seemed like they had no offense what-so-ever, but they were able to turn 3 big plays into a Super Bowl victory.

I really think the NFL needs to do something about how games are officiated. There were way to many questionable calls in the playoffs that really influenced the outcome of games. I think people could name more questionable calls in the playoffs than game changing plays made by the actual players. That's an issue that needs to be resolved.

questionable?? Wr pushes off a DB to catch a pass IN FRONT OF A REF. it's a no-brainer.

LB gets pulled down by a OT, Holding...no-brainer... There was only one horrible call the whole game...the tackle by Hasselbeck on Ike Taylor...that wasn't 15yd penalty...

[quote name='DJSteel']questionable?? Wr pushes off a DB to catch a pass IN FRONT OF A REF. it's a no-brainer.

LB gets pulled down by a OT, Holding...no-brainer... There was only one horrible call the whole game...the tackle by Hasselbeck on Ike Taylor...that wasn't 15yd penalty...[/QUOTE]

Did you see the DB's two hands on the receiver when the receiver initially went into the endzone? If you are going to call ticky-tack fouls that don't effect the game, you have to call it for both the offense & defense. There was no way the Pittsburgh DB was going to be in position to make a play on that pass anyway.

The fact that the official didn't look like he was going to call the foul until the Steeler complained didn't help matters either.

Neither did the official running towards Big Ben on his touchdown run, looking like he was going to call him down short of the goal line and then deciding that he was in about halfway there. That play could have been called either way and the replay would have not had any effect. Sure, Pittsburgh would have probably scored the next play, but that's not what I'm getting at.

The hold call was probably a legitimate call, but holding can be called every play if the officials wanted to call it.

Another thing I don't understand is the horse collar rule. That was supposed to be a big point of emphasis this year. I think I saw it called twice, while seeing it not called probably somewhere close to 10-12 times. Heck, even in the game last night, they could have called it on Porter when he tackled Alexander from behind.

There were bad calls that went against the Steelers as well. At least one that I can think of where Stevens caught the ball, tucked it away, turned and made a football move, lost the ball, and it was called incomplete.

I'm sure the NFL would prefer that people talking about their showcase game the next day would not be mainly talking about the officials and the commercials. People should be talking at least about Pittsburgh's trick play or Willie Parker's 75 yard TD run, but they just aren't. I think it just took some of the glory away from the Super Bowl, no matter which team would have won.

[quote name='shipwreck']Did you see the DB's two hands on the receiver when the receiver initially went into the endzone? If you are going to call ticky-tack fouls that don't effect the game, you have to call it for both the offense & defense. There was no way the Pittsburgh DB was going to be in position to make a play on that pass anyway.

The fact that the official didn't look like he was going to call the foul until the Steeler complained didn't help matters either.

Neither did the official running towards Big Ben on his touchdown run, looking like he was going to call him down short of the goal line and then deciding that he was in about halfway there. That play could have been called either way and the replay would have not had any effect. Sure, Pittsburgh would have probably scored the next play, but that's not what I'm getting at.

The hold call was probably a legitimate call, but holding can be called every play if the officials wanted to call it.

Another thing I don't understand is the horse collar rule. That was supposed to be a big point of emphasis this year. I think I saw it called twice, while seeing it not called probably somewhere close to 10-12 times. Heck, even in the game last night, they could have called it on Porter when he tackled Alexander from behind.

There were bad calls that went against the Steelers as well. At least one that I can think of where Stevens caught the ball, tucked it away, turned and made a football move, lost the ball, and it was called incomplete.

I'm sure the NFL would prefer that people talking about their showcase game the next day would not be mainly talking about the officials and the commercials. People should be talking at least about Pittsburgh's trick play or Willie Parker's 75 yard TD run, but they just aren't. I think it just took some of the glory away from the Super Bowl, no matter which team would have won.[/QUOTE]

They(REFS) was just making up for the colts game!! LOl

Anyway happy bday shipwreck.

[quote name='TomCloud9']They(REFS) was just making up for the colts game!! LOl[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was a horrible call on the Polamolaasdfaskjflalsf (sp) interception as well. There were a few other bad calls in that game as well. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The officiating throughout the playoffs has been horrible.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yep, that was a horrible call on the Polamolaasdfaskjflalsf (sp) interception as well. There were a few other bad calls in that game as well. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The officiating throughout the playoffs has been horrible.[/QUOTE]

I can see where people think that the games are fixed, Because of the refs. I mean come on you couldnt write a more of story line game for the steelers, Thats my team and always will be but I have to agree bs call are messing up the nfl.

[quote name='shipwreck']Did you see the DB's two hands on the receiver when the receiver initially went into the endzone? If you are going to call ticky-tack fouls that don't effect the game, you have to call it for both the offense & defense. There was no way the Pittsburgh DB was going to be in position to make a play on that pass anyway.[/quote]

if the wr didn't push off he would have had a hell of time trying to make that catch.. if what you are saying is true, why did he push off? If he didn't need to then he should have been able to handle the situation without a push off... if it wasn't right in front of a ref, it probably would have been a TD but the ref made the right call....

[quote name='shipwreck']The fact that the official didn't look like he was going to call the foul until the Steeler complained didn't help matters either.[/quote]

watch the replay again...the ref clearly was reaching for his flag..he just pulled the wrong one..that is why it was late.

[quote name='shipwreck']Neither did the official running towards Big Ben on his touchdown run, looking like he was going to call him down short of the goal line and then deciding that he was in about halfway there. That play could have been called either way and the replay would have not had any effect. Sure, Pittsburgh would have probably scored the next play, but that's not what I'm getting at.[/quote]

He was in..again watch the replay and you'll see that almost 1/3 of the ball was over the line before the defender hit his arm back...

[quote name='shipwreck']The hold call was probably a legitimate call, but holding can be called every play if the officials wanted to call it.[/quote]

so they call the obvious ones in critical situations. It was a good call.

[quote name='shipwreck']Another thing I don't understand is the horse collar rule. That was supposed to be a big point of emphasis this year. I think I saw it called twice, while seeing it not called probably somewhere close to 10-12 times. Heck, even in the game last night, they could have called it on Porter when he tackled Alexander from behind.[/quote]

I'll have to look back at that.. I didn't see it

[quote name='shipwreck']There were bad calls that went against the Steelers as well. At least one that I can think of where Stevens caught the ball, tucked it away, turned and made a football move, lost the ball, and it was called incomplete.[/quote]

That and the illegal pick play which they never call.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm sure the NFL would prefer that people talking about their showcase game the next day would not be mainly talking about the officials and the commercials. People should be talking at least about Pittsburgh's trick play or Willie Parker's 75 yard TD run, but they just aren't. I think it just took some of the glory away from the Super Bowl, no matter which team would have won.[/QUOTE]

over the past couple of years, the refs have been below par on some of the games and it's occurring more and more frequently. They need to figure out something.

Eh, you see those plays that way, I see them mine (that's why I called them questionable). The NFL needs to eliminate that element from the game. Your example of illegal picks is a good one as every team runs them on just about every passing play, they are against the rules, but only get called if the receiver pretty much tackles the defender.

I think there are too many "judgment" calls for the officials to make in the NFL right now. The rules are there, play by them.

[quote name='shipwreck']Eh, you see those plays that way, I see them mine (that's why I called them questionable). The NFL needs to eliminate that element from the game. Your example of illegal picks is a good one as every team runs them on just about every passing play, they are against the rules, but only get called if the receiver pretty much tackles the defender.[/QUOTE]

beleg3uesmall6db.jpg

[quote name='DJSteel']you can't see that??? you need to take off your bungle glasses...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm still not 100% sure that that is a touchdown. The red line drawn seems to be a little outside of where I would consider the plane to be, but it is extremely difficult to tell because of the pixelation. That call could have gone either way and the replay would not have provided enough evidence to overrule the call on the field.

Hey, I'm not taking away from Pittsburgh's Super Bowl championship (it was the officials that did that). They won it fair and square based upon how the game was called.

[quote name='shipwreck']Sorry, I'm still not 100% sure that that is a touchdown. The red line drawn seems to be a little outside of where I would consider the plane to be, but it is extremely difficult to tell because of the pixelation. That call could have gone either way and the replay would not have provided enough evidence to overrule the call on the field.

Hey, I'm not taking away from Pittsburgh's Super Bowl championship (it was the officials that did that). They won it fair and square based upon how the game was called.[/QUOTE]

The refs were 100% that is was either not conclusive or that it was...either way it was a TD

[quote name='DJSteel']The refs were 100% that is was either not conclusive or that it was...either way it was a TD[/QUOTE]

Were the refs 100% sure that Roethlisberger called that timeout before the play clock hit zero?

[quote name='shipwreck']Were the refs 100% sure that Roethlisberger called that timeout before the play clock hit zero?[/QUOTE]
Of course! :roll:

The replay was inconclusive; the call on the field was not going to be overturned regardless of what it was.

[quote name='botticus']Of course! :roll:

The replay was inconclusive; the call on the field was not going to be overturned regardless of what it was.[/QUOTE]

it's funny cause it's not a challengeable play or call...

[quote name='DJSteel']it's funny cause it's not a challengeable play or call...[/QUOTE]
I was referring to the touchdown with that last statement.

[quote name='shipwreck']An interesting article from the games a couple of weeks ago chronicling the bad officiating in the playoffs: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5251620

Last paragraph of the article:[/QUOTE]

please...bad officiating did NOT change the outcome of the game... Seattle had plenty of chances to score but failed...

The NFL has admitted to a conspiracy last night in the following circumstances:

* The NFL placed a giant fan that blew both of Brown's kicks just to the outside of the goal posts.
* There was a Red laser that was pointed in Jerramy Stevens eyes when the ball was coming his way.
* Due to a potential decline of television ratings for their sponsors, the NFL instructed Ben to purposely under throw a wide-open Cedric Wilson in the end zone to make the game closer.
* The NFL provided Mike Holmgren (a three time SB coach) the wrong time on the game clock so that he would completely mismanage both ends of each half.
* Bill Leavy received a personal phone call from the entire staff of referees of the Indy game warning him of repercussions of making calls against the Steelers. Additionally, Tommy Maddox called Bill on his cell phone telling him the same.
* Tom Rouen, an ex-Steeler, made an under the table deal with the Steelers to boom every punt through the end zone to try to assist the Steelers in field position. Additionally, Rouen has been found to still be on the Steelers payroll.

[quote name='botticus']I was referring to the touchdown with that last statement.[/QUOTE]

I quoted the wrong person..oh well.. sorry botticus

[quote name='DJSteel']questionable?? Wr pushes off a DB to catch a pass IN FRONT OF A REF. it's a no-brainer.

LB gets pulled down by a OT, Holding...no-brainer... There was only one horrible call the whole game...the tackle by Hasselbeck on Ike Taylor...that wasn't 15yd penalty...[/QUOTE]

your biased opinion is both wrong and unwanted.......watch the game again cuz your a blind MOFO

Saying the officiating was poor is reasonable IMO. Saying the game was fixed or biased isn't. The Steelers were on the receiving end of the worst call in league history a few weeks ago, Joey Porter accused the NFL of favoritism, and then the NFL rewards that with calls in the Steelers favor? That doesn't make any sense.

I will say this, officiating any sport is TOUGH when you are on the field calling the game in real time with both coaches and teams accusing you of favoritism. I referreed some games at a basketball camp years ago and it is harder than sitting on the sideline where you can see everything. Those great camera angles on TV aren't present to officials with 300 pound linemen in their grills. That isn't to say that they shouldn't be better. They are professionals with a lot of experience, but officiating is one of the toughest jobs in the world. You could take every game played in the NFL this year and had arguments similar to what is going on now with the Superbowl.

Also, in regards to the offensive pass interference, it didn't look like much in slow motion but in regular speed you could see that the Seattle player did get a bit of an advantage on that play. The worst call was the Hasslebeck penalty though. That was the one call where there was really no way you could say the call could go either way. That was a horrible call on a pretty good play by Hasslebeck.

The part I don't like is when people say the DB for the Steelers whined which led to a flag against D-Jack. When you watch the tape the official went for the flag, missed it and flung up his arm, then threw the flag.

[quote name='ph33r m3']The part I don't like is when people say the DB for the Steelers whined which led to a flag against D-Jack. When you watch the tape the official went for the flag, missed it and flung up his arm, then threw the flag.[/QUOTE]

That is true. Thery were talking about that on sports radio this morning.

[quote name='lowgear26']your biased opinion is both wrong and unwanted.......watch the game again cuz your a blind MOFO[/QUOTE]

sure... i'm sure whatever you have to say isn't biased at all:roll:

[quote name='DJSteel']please...bad officiating did NOT change the outcome of the game... Seattle had plenty of chances to score but failed...

* The NFL placed a giant fan that blew both of Brown's kicks just to the outside of the goal posts.
* There was a Red laser that was pointed in Jerramy Stevens eyes when the ball was coming his way.
* Due to a potential decline of television ratings for their sponsors, the NFL instructed Ben to purposely under throw a wide-open Cedric Wilson in the end zone to make the game closer.
* The NFL provided Mike Holmgren (a three time SB coach) the wrong time on the game clock so that he would completely mismanage both ends of each half.
* Bill Leavy received a personal phone call from the entire staff of referees of the Indy game warning him of repercussions of making calls against the Steelers. Additionally, Tommy Maddox called Bill on his cell phone telling him the same.
* Tom Rouen, an ex-Steeler, made an under the table deal with the Steelers to boom every punt through the end zone to try to assist the Steelers in field position. Additionally, Rouen has been found to still be on the Steelers payroll.[/QUOTE]

:D Awesome post. I agree that the officiating was shoddy but Seattle definitely had plenty of chances to put points on the board and failed to do so. Pittsburgh made plays when they needed them and they won the game. The only egregious call was the Hasselback tackle and I guess you could make a case that the extra 15 yards of field position set up the trick play but Hines Ward would have scored if he had another 100 yards to go because he got behind everyone when he caught the ball. To say that the officiating decided the game is just stupid.

I'm glad you noticed the horrible game the Seattle punter had - it almost did look intentional. It wasn't like the coverage on the kicks were bad or the ball took a bad bounce... he booted the ball in the endzone almost every single time.

[quote name='DJSteel']please...bad officiating did NOT change the outcome of the game... Seattle had plenty of chances to score but failed...

* Tom Rouen, an ex-Steeler, made an under the table deal with the Steelers to boom every punt through the end zone to try to assist the Steelers in field position. Additionally, Rouen has been found to still be on the Steelers payroll.[/QUOTE]
Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Terrible, terrible coaching, Stevens dropping everything that went his way, Jackson running the wrong routes, missing 2 field goals, punting it through the end zone every time, bad clock management, and a bad interception, had way more to do with Seattle losing than bad officiating did.

That was a horrible game to watch, too. Randle El was the best QB on the field the entire game.

[quote name='DJSteel']
beleg3uesmall6db.jpg
[/QUOTE]

dude that not even the football u have crossing the goal, since when does a football have a solid white rectangle with scribbles in it. That is most likely his wrist band from his right arm

this isnt a good pic to show if it crossed the line but it disproves the above posted pic, he kept the ball tucked under him the whole time until the play was over and then he stretched out. So that cute little line you drew is null and void.

020606superbowlgame4wk.jpg

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']this isnt a good pic to show if it crossed the line but it disproves the above posted pic, he kept the ball tucked under him the whole time until the play was over and then he stretched out. So that cute little line you drew is null and void.[/QUOTE]

The ball just has to cross the plane of the goal line. It doesn't matter where he ends up when he lands. Your entire body can be out of bounds in the air but if the ball breaks the plane before you land it's a TD. I don't think anyone will dispute that the ball was NOT across the goal line when Ben landed but it is too close to call whether or not he got it in prior to landing. The call on the field has to stand.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']dude that not even the football u have crossing the goal, since when does a football have a solid white rectangle with scribbles in it. That is most likely his wrist band from his right arm[/QUOTE]

it's just above the wristband...the brown thing

[quote name='DJSteel']it's just above the wristband...the brown thing[/QUOTE]

thats his arm unless that magically vanished, a good spot for the ball is behind the black which is his glove, because he kept that tucked under his body till after the play was over

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']thats his arm unless that magically vanished, a good spot for the ball is behind the black which is his glove, because he kept that tucked under his body till after the play was over[/QUOTE]
no because when he got hit in the shoulder the ball moved backwards... he was over...

[quote name='DJSteel']no because when he got hit in the shoulder the ball moved backwards... he was over...[/QUOTE]

u arent goin to convince me I am not goin to convince you, I am fine with that

me too.. I saw the replays and I agree with the call.. either it was TD because he was over the line or the play stands because there wasn't 100% definite proof that it wasn't

They awarded the trophy, they sent the MVP to Disney World, they had the parade.

It's over.

No amount of "OMG WE'Z WUZ ROBBED TEH REFS R TEH SUCK!" is going to win this game for Seattle.

The NFL said there were no errors on the officiating.

STFU and deal with the outcome.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']They awarded the trophy, they sent the MVP to Disney World, they had the parade.

It's over.

No amount of "OMG WE'Z WUZ ROBBED TEH REFS R TEH SUCK!" is going to win this game for Seattle.

The NFL said there were no errors on the officiating.

STFU and deal with the outcome.[/QUOTE]

What do you know, PAD and I agree on something!

It was more than just bad officiating that lost this game for Seattle.

Kornheiser, Tirico, and Theissman are going to be the team that calls MNF this season.

They are also going to take PTI on the road this season on monday's. I think they are doing this because if Wilbon became the main commentator, Kornheiser would never leave the studio (where as Wilbon has no problem traveling to see a game)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Kornheiser, Tirico, and Theissman are going to be the team that calls MNF this season.

They are also going to take PTI on the road this season on monday's. I think they are doing this because if Wilbon became the main commentator, Kornheiser would never leave the studio (where as Wilbon has no problem traveling to see a game)[/QUOTE]
:shock: I'd watch MNF now just for Kornheiser. It's nice to see that he'll get out of the studio at least once a week for PTI.

bread's done
Back