2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

The Kings practically doubled their opponent's shot total again but actually won this time, 3-0 over the Blue Jackets. It was Jon Quick's first NHL shutout, and snapped the Jackets' 5 game home win streak while ending the Kings' 4 game losing streak (though 2 of those losses were OT and shootout).

Wow that was fucking amazing. Jagr like abilities but with the weight to throw around.
Bruins are on a roll. I'd like to see *another* championship in Mass this year... how about a NHL one?

Pretty awesome game against Colorado tonight, lost 4-5 in OT... but the Coyotes were able to force it into OT by scoring two goals in the last 4 minutes. Exciting stuff.

Sharks win 5-0.....score two goals within 19 seconds or some shit?

Get dirty....that guy Setoguchi does WORK

OWNED!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAmeqU-sYA[/media]

I actually thought the Sharks/Van game would be good but I didn't realize Luongo was out. lol

I love it when I don't have to link my own videos.

Wheeler made a great defensive play to slow down the shot but Thomas still had to make an incredible save there.

Why can't I write anything underneath the video?
[quote name='VipFREAK']OWNED!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAmeqU-sYA[/media]
I actually thought the Sharks/Van game would be good but I didn't realize Luongo was out. lol[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dafoomie']Wheeler made a great defensive play to slow down the shot but Thomas still had to make an incredible save there.[/quote]

I like Tim Thomas, but that was not great rebound control. I'm pretty sure Wheeler saved that goal, because he prevented the shot from being elevated.

Also, the guy that writes for the Dallas newspaper called last night's game a "Leaf raking". I'd say that's pretty accurate. Also, good for James Neal -- he has been playing well all season, so he deserved it.

...The Stars are so close to NOT being in last place in the Pacific for once!

[quote name='siderealshift']I like Tim Thomas, but that was not great rebound control. I'm pretty sure Wheeler saved that goal, because he prevented the shot from being elevated.

Also, the guy that writes for the Dallas newspaper called last night's game a "Leaf raking". I'd say that's pretty accurate. Also, good for James Neal -- he has been playing well all season, so he deserved it.

...The Stars are so close to NOT being in last place in the Pacific for once![/QUOTE]
Langenbrunner took the shot with the intention of creating a good rebound chance for Elias. A good, hard shot low on the pads is going to create a big rebound no matter what you do.

So, after going to 8 or 9 Ontario Reign games, I'm finally going to get to attend a Kings game live! They have a 36 hour sale going on where tickets, including some lower bowl seats, are $11.50 each for home games in January. I'm not sure where I'll be seated yet since my friend got the tickets, but I'm really looking forward to it. The game is Saturday, January 3rd, against the Flyers. :)

Oh, I'm not one for LA the city at all but LA the hockey team is fine. They stole some good games from teams higher up in the standings that helped out teams that needed it. (no offense, but I can't help where they are in the standings). They've pulled out some wind when I didn't think they would too. They have some pretty good young players too.
icon14.gif

The Kings looked a lot better tonight against the Coyotes in Glendale than they did when the two teams played last night at Staples. 4-0 Kings win.

I set my new DVR to record Montreal/Pittsburgh, but it somehow got deleted. I'm recording the Flames, senators game, but I just turned it on as Ottawa scored their second goal. I think I'll just watch it from here rather than the beginning. I just wanted to see what hockey looks like in HD.

I hate you Matt Young! :lol:

I should of went to the game in LA instead! I noticed how damn lethargic the Coyotes looked at the start. A terrible game for a Coyotes fan, but I still enjoyed going.

Hmm... a bit irritating of a night. I was looking forward to the SARS/fucks game but I guess a SARS win is better because then the fucks can't keep pace.

I can't believe the Stars came back last night. For a couple of hours, they were statistically NOT in last place in the Pacific! MORAL VICTORY!

Sharks at Stars tomorrow night -- hopefully it's a game (i.e., Turco plays well).

The Kings lost 2-0 to Columbus. Despite the fact, I must say that I like Jon Quick a lot. He's looked really good this season, and the one goal he gave up tonight (the Blue Jackets' other goal was an empty netter)was a rebound shot on a Columbus power play.

I think LaBarbera's contract expires after this season. Obviously, he should be gone. I say call up Quick and let him compete with Ersberg for the starting job while Bernier gets another year of seasoning in Manchester.

Red Wings 4 Blackhawks 0

Hawks came out like gangbusters tonight riding a nine game win streak since their last loss to Detroit. Conklin kept it scoreless until the Wings got the puck control game going and started scoring. Kane took an odd tumble, but did come back. Was happy to see that he wasn't seriously hurt. It was a hard hitting intense hockey game that was really close through 2 periods. The outdoor game New Years Day should be pretty fun to watch. Wings played without captian Lidstrom who is day to day with a swollen ankle.

No sweat ;) It was actually a really close game through two.

There are few people who are happier than me to see the Hawks playing better. The Central division except for the Wings has pretty much sucked ass for a long while and more than half the Wings regular games were against garbage opponents. And hell who wouldn't like watching the Hawks with Cambell, Havlat, Towes, Kane, Sharp, Versteeg, Kieth, BUFUGLIEN :lol: and two good goalies. Thats a great lineup just off the top of my head. The Red Wings will benefit from playing higher quality compeition in the regular season.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I thought it was going to be a closer game... Sorry TC but, rooting for Shieryda and hoping they win the Winter classic too. :phttp://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=18349[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really happy overall with the standings. It's turning out to be a really good season. (No, I'm not happy just because the Sharks are up there too.) Although, where the hell did Boston come from. I mean, they're good but who'd a thunk they'd be No. 2 in the whole league? lol

[quote name='Matt Young']The Kings lost 2-0 to Columbus. Despite the fact, I must say that I like Jon Quick a lot. He's looked really good this season, and the one goal he gave up tonight (the Blue Jackets' other goal was an empty netter)was a rebound shot on a Columbus power play.

I think LaBarbera's contract expires after this season. Obviously, he should be gone. I say call up Quick and let him compete with Ersberg for the starting job while Bernier gets another year of seasoning in Manchester.[/QUOTE]

Never mind! LaBarbera has been traded to the Canucks for a 7th round pick! Suckers...

The Let's Go Kings forums are going crazy with happiness.

Man... the SARS should try and get tOOltOOl, he'd be a great fit there with the rest of the pussies there. lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwiPHafpc6o[/media]

Tootoo wouldn't have survived long before Gary Buttman pussified the league. The instigator rule protects these types of players and causes more skilled players to get injured.

NHL Network, you mean. They also show Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday, and almost all (if not all) of the World Juniors games.

I'm leaving for Kings/Flyers in a half hour or so. My friend likes to get there early, and besides, while LA is normally only an hour drive, traffic on a Saturday night can be unpredictable. Should be fun, anyway.

^Yeah

- I'm sorry, if this is the way the Sharks are going to play they don't really deserve to be at the top, I mean I know they are ahead... but it's the fucking Islanders.

- Florida over Pits 6-1? ouch... lool

- Nice win Oilers

- The fact Philly is on top in the Eastern Atlantic is testament to how pathetic that division is. wow... lool

Edit:

Nice win LA!

Labarbera lost it for Van against atlanta, ouch... lool

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back a short while ago from the Kings game. What a great time. I've been to many ECHL games this season, but none of them could compare to seeing the Kings play the Philadelphia Flyers in the sold out Staples Center.

I was up in the 300's, but I had a perfect view of the ice. My seat was right in between the blue lines, with the center line basically being parallel to my groin, LOL. It was an awesome game. The Kings struggled in the first period and part of the second, but came back to make it a very competitive game.

It ended up going to overtime tied at 1 goal a piece. No one scored in overtime, and in the shootout, Frolov and brown scored to give the Kings the victory. It was their first in 6 games wearing the alternate jerseys. Jon Quick, who has a 0.79 GAA and .969 save percentage in his last 5 games, looked amazing, stopping a penalty shot and saving what would have been a sure goal by trapping it between his legs behind himself while on his belly.

We were seated above the commentators' area, so we had a direct view of Bob Miller and Jim Fox. I actually saw Miller talking to someone right outside the entrance to our section while I was returning to my seat during the second intermission.

I got some really good pics, but they're on my friend's camera. I'll share those when he uploads them.

I was sad to see the Bruins lose their streak, but they've become the talk of the town lately, great to have people in Boston getting back into hockey finally.

Can't win them all, they didn't bring their best effort and in the NHL, if a bad team outworks a good team they'll probably win.

Russia just beat Slovakia 5-2 in the bronze medal game of the World Junior Tournament. Can't say whether or not it was a good game, as I only saw period number 3. The gold medal game between Canada and Sweden (the latter featuring LA Kings forward OSCAR MOLLER~!) airs on NHL Network in the U.S. and TSN in Canadaat 4:30 Pacific/7:30 Central. I'll be doing/watching other stuff, so I'm recording that for later. Also, the Penguins play the Rangers on Versus in about an hour.

Predictable win for Canada in the World Junior Tournament. I still have one hockey game on my DVR- the Winter Classic. Despite knowing the results and people saying it was horrible for the last 2 periods, I still feel compelled to watch it. Not sure when I will since the Kings are on (and in HD, for the first time since I got my HD DVR!) Tuesday and Thursday.

bread's done
Back