2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

The Stars traded P. Boucher for D. Sydor. Thoughts? Penguins fans?

Seems like a odd trade to me, but I'm guessing that the Stars management is hoping for some good ol' Sydor/Zubov magic. We'll see.

I'd say it was an upgrade for Boucher, though. I hope he does well up in Pittsburgh.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh god, make it stop. tOOltOOl making an ass out of himself. lool[/quote]

I assume you're talking about Jordin Tootoo, and if that's the case, he can't help it -- he is an ass. His name is "Tootoo" and his number is 22, for God's sake. If that's not asinine, I don't know what is.

[quote name='TC']Stars Lose Morrow to ACL Tear Thats going to hurt big time. He is the real heart of that team.[/quote]

Yeah, as if the Stars weren't in a bad place already. I think they're officially last in the league. I'm going to their game against the Ducks tonight. We'll see how they do sans Morrow.

If nothing else, it will be nice to see Selanne play. :)

Toronto 2, Chicago 0 in period 2 of tonight's first game of Hockey Night in Canada on NHL Network. Game 2 is Wings/Flames, but I'll be watching Kings/Avalanche on Fox Sports.

Kings lost 4-3 in a shootout. The Kings' 3rd jerseys are "meh". They're black and silver, no purple, with a pentagon/home plate logo that has "AL" on top, with the crown logo below it, separated by a line.

[quote name='Matt Young']Kings lost 4-3 in a shootout. The Kings' 3rd jerseys are "meh". They're black and silver, no purple, with a pentagon/home plate logo that has "AL" on top, with the crown logo below it, separated by a line.[/QUOTE]
Didn't like it, their old black and silver Chevy style jerseys from the 90s were better. These white lines that separate sections of the jersey seem to be a style that RBK is pushing, I don't like it at all.

All through the third period last night, it looked like both the Stars and the Ducks (but especially the Ducks, for some reason) were playing just to get into overtime and secure a point, which was pretty lame.

During the first intermission they usually have a "Mini-Mite Shootout" with a bunch of local kids, and last night one of the shooters was Jere Lehtinen's kid, which was kind of amusing. He didn't score. :cry:

[quote name='dafoomie']Didn't like it, their old black and silver Chevy style jerseys from the 90s were better. These white lines that separate sections of the jersey seem to be a style that RBK is pushing, I don't like it at all.[/quote]

I haven't been terribly impressed with any of the thirds I've seen so far.

[quote name='siderealshift']I haven't been terribly impressed with any of the thirds I've seen so far.[/QUOTE]
The Bruins are coming out with one this week thats OK (the logo shouldn't look as massive on the real ones):

2997474719_53554ac4ac.jpg

I'd be happier if it looked like one of these:

2998308902_c34ed8faca.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

If there's one team I don't get, I'd have to go with Minnesota... I don't know how they win? Especially after a game like today's. If Wash was 100% and hadn't played how many game in how many nights? they'd have never had a chance.

As for today, it's a relatively good day. The SARS lost which is always a good thing.

[quote name='yukine']They show examples of all the third jerseys here: http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=019048[/quote]

That particular Canucks style is one of my personal favorites. It's so much better than the stupid orca.

Well, I thought Doug Janik had the worst game of the evening, but then I flipped over to the Montreal game and saw O'Byrne score for the other team. :applause:

Coach Guy wasn't happy about that one.

The Stars need to figure out how to set up a decent shot when they're on the power play. It's painful to watch them -- it's like five statues standing on the perimeter passing to each other until they finally lose the puck.

The Kings/Flames game isn't on tonight because FSN West is showing the Lakers game against the Nets. I watch a lot of Lakers games, but seriously... the Nets? I'd rather see Michael Cammalerri's first game against his former team. And on top of that, FSN Prime Ticket isn't showing a Ducks game, so they could very well air the Kings game. There is a Clippers game on, but it ends around an hour and a half before the Kings play.

Great night to be a Habs fan, beat Detroit and Boston loses!

And how are the Sharks doing so ridiculously good? I'm amazed every week to see them still winning just about every game.

How many teams still have to unveil their 3rd jerseys? I thought the Kings were one of the last. I want the damn code for NHL 09.

Evgeni Malkin got a hat trick and an asist against the Islanders. Good news for my fantasy team.

^Tell me about it... It's getting fucking old EA.

fucking Wild, thanks for nothing.

Ok, soo.... question. If you board you WILL get a game misconduct? If so... if someone boards from now on they better also get a game misconduct. :rolleyes:

Can we get some decent refs around here?

Edit: Oy, Khabibulin hurt... oy, first shot, almost first goal. lol

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Great night to be a Habs fan, beat Detroit and Boston loses!

And how are the Sharks doing so ridiculously good? I'm amazed every week to see them still winning just about every game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah your squad whipped my boys tonight. It was a good effort from the Habs.

Oh and the Sharks are out of this world good right now. The Wings played them earlier this year and didn't just lose. They were dominated.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^Tell me about it... It's getting fucking old EA.

fucking Wild, thanks for nothing.

Ok, soo.... question. If you board you WILL get a game misconduct? If so... if someone boards from now on they better also get a game misconduct. :rolleyes:

Can we get some decent refs around here?

Edit: Oy, Khabibulin hurt... oy, first shot, almost first goal. lol[/QUOTE]

It's not EA's fault for once. They can't give out a code until all teams have worn their thirds.

Oh... ok well let me rephrase my comment then. Hay RBK... yay, you do all the uniforms for the NHL good for you. Guess what, just because you do all of them doesn't mean you are good at it. Nobody gives a fuck about your shitty ass designs. Release the damn code already. Anyway, how many are left to go!? christ...

I actually like the Flyers' jerseys. They're similar enough to their 90's orange unis, but still different. I like the orange way better than their black ones. I think they're great except for the hideous white rectangle encasing the name. They used white numbers with black outlines. Why couldn't they have done the same for the letters in the last names?

Thats what their nameplate looked like in the 70s. They generally didn't wear nameplates on the orange, but were required to on certain occasions (the national game of the week for example). So they'd put that on and take it back off later.

Bruins are debuting their 3rds today, I'll be at the game. They're way too black but at least they're not over the top silly looking like some of these other ones.

I'm not opposed to advertising on uniforms of minor league teams- the Ontario Reign have a Toyota logo on the back of their jerseys, beneath the number- but what I saw tonight was too much. Their opponents, the Bakersfield Condors, had Carl's Jr./Hardee's star logos inside the numbers on their jerseys. I mean, come on.

What pisses me off about EA is not so much the jersey codes. But I noticed EVERY copy of the new Need For Speed is a Collector's Edition...you just need to spend $10 for a 108KB key to unlock it. fucking assholes.

Really fun game between the Kings and the Blackhawks. The Kings won 5-2, but it was a lot closer than the score indicates. Both teams were evenly matched most of the way through, but the Kings scored 3 goals on 6 shots (including Derek Armstrong, who barely plays, reminding us of his existence) and finished with 4 unanswered goals for the victory. The Hawks looked great for 2 and 1/2 periods, but just shit the bed in the last half of the 3rd with penalty after penalty.

Philadelphia at Toronto followed by Vancouver at Calgary on HNIC tonight. Hopefully, the guys at the gym will switch one TV to thje NHL Network or else I'll miss 2/3 of the Flyers/Leafs game.

Bruins had a nice win, should erase some doubt even though Detroit hasn't played their best hockey lately. Big contrast, no Detroit players under 24, 7 Boston players under 24 out of 18.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh man, the Sharks/ SARS game was great. Modunno and FAILy. Gotta make up some more names for them. lool[/quote]

Please do. You have us all in stitches.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Isn't that because of the injuries we (Sharks) incurred on the hawks?[/quote]

You're on the Sharks? What's it like giving Joe Thornton a high five?

Ah man, it's FINALLY a good season to be a Bruins fan; except those 3rd/Alt jerseys suck terribly.

I'm still disappointed that Tim Thomas was left off the All-Star ballot though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prence']
I'm still disappointed that Tim Thomas was left off the All-Star ballot though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't get that.

Sooo...i've never thought as myself as a hockey fan, But i'm going to my first NHL game tonight. I was able to get a couple of tickets to the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight for free from my work. They're in the Club section...i don't know if that's good or not.

What should I expect from going? Most people I talk to always say they love going to hockey games over any other professional sport.

[quote name='TC']Yeah your squad whipped my boys tonight. It was a good effort from the Habs.

Oh and the Sharks are out of this world good right now. The Wings played them earlier this year and didn't just lose. They were dominated.[/QUOTE]

but the question is can the sharks perform in the playoffs? So far the answer is a solid NO! You can't predict the playoff's (although I hate them, detroit was dominate this past season).

I personally hope that the habs win in their centennial season. I hope it's the pens/habs in the eastern conference finals.

As for the west conference finals, vancouver and colorado would be wonderful, but without some goaltending in colorado, my hope is lost. (oh where are you st. patrick?)

So after seeing my first live NHL game I have a few things to say.

1. Hockey is exciting to watch. It's fast paced and there's always something going on.

2. I have no idea of any of the rules.

3. What's up with fighting. Is it part of hockey? They just kind of seem to act like it's not happening until both of the guys end up on the ground. It just seems weird that in every other sport, people get fined and thrown out of games for it. Plus, it seemed a little over the top and came off as they do it just to make things interesting.

^Hope they kill the SARS.

[quote name='mastagoalie']but the question is can the sharks perform in the playoffs? So far the answer is a solid NO! You can't predict the playoff's (although I hate them, detroit was dominate this past season).[/quote]

Yeah... that's pretty much the question now.

[quote name='shieryda']Avery vs. Iginla and Phaneuf tonight!!![/quote]

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=395712

I'm sure there will be at least one decent fight tonight. Expect Krys Barch to take one of them on -- probably Iginla -- particularly if the score gets nasty.

[quote name='VipFREAK']^Hope they kill the SARS.[/quote]

*Sigh* They probably will.... Hutchinson might play for the Stars tonight. (By the way, the picture they printed of Hutchinson in the Dallas Morning News is priceless: Him getting smashed by, I think, Ian Laperriere.)

[quote name='Dingleberry']So after seeing my first live NHL game I have a few things to say.

1. Hockey is exciting to watch. It's fast paced and there's always something going on.

2. I have no idea of any of the rules.

3. What's up with fighting. Is it part of hockey? They just kind of seem to act like it's not happening until both of the guys end up on the ground. It just seems weird that in every other sport, people get fined and thrown out of games for it. Plus, it seemed a little over the top and came off as they do it just to make things interesting.[/QUOTE]
Hockey is the best sport live and suffers the most from TV. You don't get to see much away from the puck on TV.

Fighting has been a part of hockey since there was hockey. Its a very intense sport, lots of very intense 1 on 1 battles, and sometimes it boils over, sometimes somebody goes too far and takes a cheap shot, or whatever. Two men going 1 on 1 with nothing but their fists is the best way to settle things and end it. Otherwise you'd get what goes on in other sports, guys taking cheap shots at each other, going for knees and seriously injuring people.

bread's done
Back