2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

[quote name='dafoomie']Bruins/Stars... Line brawl, great hits, fights, more:[/quote]

Wow, that got pretty ridiculous. Those announcers were cracking me up, though. "Brave Steve"? They thought that he didn't want to be out there? Please. How about that guy pounding Niskanen? Now that's bravery. :roll:

Aside from all the nonsense, Tim Thomas had a good game.

The Stars are lucky to have almost a week off before their next game. They really need to use that time to get their shit together, because they're really not moving in the right direction. Their defense has been pretty bad, and their special teams... uncharacteristically horrible. That 5-on-3 last night was driving me crazy.

If Niskanen doesn't want to fight, he shouldn't have pulled a guy off the pile that had his gloves off already. What did he think would happen?

Ott is the biggest wuss I've ever seen. They tried to fight him after he hit Nokelainen after the whistle, after he went at Stephane Yelle's knees, after he charged Mark Stuart, after he ran Nokelainen (right after Ference destroyed him), after he went low on Lucic after the whistle, and after Mark Stuart's goal where Ott followed him down the ice talking shit and wouldn't drop them. Thats 6 times. If you're going to blame anyone for Niskanen getting into a fight, its Ott's fault for not being accountable for his actions. Why would he want to be out there fighting at that point when he declined to do so the previous 6 times?

When Sean Avery is fighting a guy to defend you, you know you're a bitch. My god. Even Mike Modano called them disgraceful after the game. Avery got what he had coming to him after he boarded Lucic, from Marc friggin Savard.

[quote name='dafoomie']If Niskanen doesn't want to fight, he shouldn't have pulled a guy off the pile that had his gloves off already. What did he think would happen?

Ott is the biggest wuss I've ever seen. They tried to fight him after he hit Nokelainen after the whistle, after he went at Stephane Yelle's knees, after he charged Mark Stuart, after he ran Nokelainen (right after Ference destroyed him), after he went low on Lucic after the whistle, and after Mark Stuart's goal where Ott followed him down the ice talking shit and wouldn't drop them. Thats 6 times. If you're going to blame anyone for Niskanen getting into a fight, its Ott's fault for not being accountable for his actions. Why would he want to be out there fighting at that point when he declined to do so the previous 6 times?

When Sean Avery is fighting a guy to defend you, you know you're a bitch. My god. Even Mike Modano called them disgraceful after the game. Avery got what he had coming to him after he boarded Lucic, from Marc friggin Savard.[/quote]

I'm not defending Ott and Avery -- if they want to make a statement, they should do it on the scoreboard. Nothing they did negates the fact that the team got their asses whipped.

Regarding Ott stirring things up without fighting: He does that all the time, usually to great effect. He gets people pissed off at him, and they retaliate. Instant Stars powerplay. To their credit, the Bruins weren't really falling for it, and eventually they got fed up, hence the line brawl.

I still think that the Bruins announcers were overplaying Ott's hits. "Knee-seeking missile"? :roll:

Anyway, I watched a little of the Sabres-Devils game last night. Pretty entertaining game. I thought Kevin Weekes played well.

Weekes stood on his head. I'm hoping NJ takes Manny Fernandez off our hands so we can call up Tuukka Rask.

Ott went at Yelle's knees, and Lucic's knees after the whistle. "Brave Steve" crossed the line and wouldn't back it up. Its one thing to be an agitator - Avery played the part well in that game, other than the Lucic hit. But Ott was out of control.

Just a question. I follow the LA Kings and watch their games on Fox Sports West. This season FSW has been showing all games using their "rinkside view". This "rinkside view" mainly consists of a camera behind each goalie and one at the penalty box. Sometimes you miss out on what is going on because they are slow to switch over to the right camera. The puck can be close to the redline and your POV is from the camera behind the goalie. I really hate these camera angles and am wondering if this is happening in other cities and how others feel about this "rinkside view"?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Thanks Turco ur Awesome. lool

oh, yeah... Wash beat NY? ha ha...

Tampa beat Philly? ha ha ha...[/quote]

I need to find a clip of that Turco play. All I saw was a quote from him after the game where he said something like "I don't know what I was thinking." I'm imagining him passing to Marleau in front of the empty Dallas net.

[quote name='emg28']Just a question. I follow the LA Kings and watch their games on Fox Sports West. This season FSW has been showing all games using their "rinkside view". This "rinkside view" mainly consists of a camera behind each goalie and one at the penalty box. Sometimes you miss out on what is going on because they are slow to switch over to the right camera. The puck can be close to the redline and your POV is from the camera behind the goalie. I really hate these camera angles and am wondering if this is happening in other cities and how others feel about this "rinkside view"?[/QUOTE]
Nobody else does this, the regional Fox Sports Net stations are terrible with hockey coverage.

Those end seats are among the worst in the building, the best place to sit is in the middle of the rink above the action, which is where the traditional cameras are. Some networks will use the behind the goal camera on the powerplay, but not all the time. Its pretty jarring when they switch angles like that, the NFL is great on TV because they stick with the traditional sideline view and only go to other angles on the replay.

FSN AZ is good for baseball, but usually horrible for everything else.

Man I'm just hoping the Coyotes don't get totally owned tonight by the Sharks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they were probably tired since they played the night before. I didn't see any video from the game so I have no clue about either teams. Thanks NHL. :roll:

Will be checking out Wings/Pens live tonight. Friend called me with a couple free tix. Should be a fun game.

[quote name='TC']Will be checking out Wings/Pens live tonight. Friend called me with a couple free tix. Should be a fun game.[/quote]

Lucky.:D Should be an awesome match. I think everyone's healthy, too.

I turned off the Pens/Wings game after the Wings made it 5-2. Sure enough, the Pens come back and win in overtime. I feel like a giant idiot.

I was going to turn it off but I knew that the Wings love to blow games or let the other team come back. It was horrendous for us Wings fans. Sorry TC.

Caught the game winning goal from that game great stuff. Sorry TC.

As for over here... well, streak had to end sometime I guess. They played 7 game in the last 11 days I think the commentators said.

No sweat gang. It was a very entertaining game to see. Wings really carried the play the first two periods and as you saw got stomped in the third. Way too many defensive mistakes. Chances to clear the zone and were beaten to the puck.

Just a note watching the game in person. Nobody works the refs like Crosby. Between almost every commercial break he is either barking at the refs from the bench or skating over to them trying to get his word in.

The Kings pulled out a thriller in a 3-2 shootout win over the Stars. It was their 3rd straight win, one they needed since they lost the first 4 games of their now-concluded 7 game home stand. 2 were OT/shootout losses, though, so they came out of it with 8 points in the 7 games. Not too terrible.

The only downside is that I drafted Marty Turco to my fantasy team, and while I am obviously fine with him giving up goals to the Kings (and hope he does the same on Thursday), it's been a season long trend and it's costing me wins, LOL.

Coyotes play the Stars this Saturday I think, but I'm mostly looking forward to the game against the Blackhawks since the last game was pretty intense.

A. Semin is on fire. Nice to see someone other than Ovechkin scoring for the Caps.

Lucic is the definition of power forward. Must remember to find some of his rc's next weekend...

[quote name='VipFREAK']You go Boston! Kick the shit out of NY.[/QUOTE]
Some completely lopsided officiating combined with the Bruins running out of gas a little bit (3rd game in 4 nights) led the Rags to win in the shootout.

I watched the Oilers, Avs game. Good game and it had a shootout so a little extra excitement.
Vancouver game was a blowout till the end. Luongo played really well.

I was watching "Coach's Corner" last night. They were showing a bunch of replays of dudes going face or feet-first into the boards from either tripping or hitting from behind. Man, there were some nasty hits. Don Cherry said that there have been more than 20 injuries this year due to that shit.

[quote name='yukine']Wow what a save by Turco, Coyotes were so close to forcing the game into OT with only a few seconds left.[/quote]

Yeah, that last play was pretty poorly handled by the Stars, but Turco managed to totally stuff Jokinen in the last few seconds. It's nice to see that Turco's playing well again, after that horrible start. Loui Eriksson had a good game, too, both offensively and defensively.

The Kings looked good in a losing effort to the Ducks last night. If not for that crazy Hedican goal, it would have been another 1-0 game. They've played in 10 of those this season. I know the season is young, but the Kings should make a marked improvement over last year's record- maybe 10th or 11th in the conference- and I really think they'll make the playoffs next season.

I went to my 3rd Reign game of the season on Saturday. They honored 3 WWII veterans, which was nice since I'm a history and military buff. Got a nifty collector's puck, too- #1 in a series of 3.

l_b6af2f85faea4211b127a9c2366c4bd2.jpg

bread's done
Back