2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ph33r m3']The Patriots have one of the easiest schedules again. My god Goodel, just give them 17 weeks off until the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

no shit, they've got 4 games out of 16 that they might have trouble with. Guess we can already chalk up another season with the tards banging on their drums

[quote name='klwillis45']http://www.acefootballpicks.com/html/schedule.html

Opponents have been known since the end of last season. This schedule release just unveils the order & time/place. No conspiracy here.[/quote]

Not saying their's a conspiracy, but look at who they play. It's a joke. Their a good team no doubt, but maybe you could make them play a good team as well every once in a blue moon.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Not saying their's a conspiracy, but look at who they play. It's a joke. Their a good team no doubt, but maybe you could make them play a good team as well every once in a blue moon.[/quote]

it's all about the rotation of scheduling..

they obviously play the AFC East X2
AFC West (because of rotation, they played the AFC South last season)
NFC West (because of rotation, they played the NFC South last season)
Indianapolis Colts \_ Because they finished in first place
Pittsburgh Steelers / They play the first place teams of the
divisions they don't play.

I'm in the minority but I like Mendenhall better. As usual, it really depends on which teams the both of them go to. If Mendenhall came to the texans, who run the zone-blocking scheme, he'll have terrell davis potential here...

[quote name='lombarvm']Quick question about the draft:

Who will be the better pro. Rashad Mendenhall or Darren McFadden?[/quote]

McFadden.

But look out for Ray Rice from Rutgers, this kid has a chance to be the next Maurice-Jones Drew.

It wouldn't be an NFL season if the Chargers weren't playing the Colts and Patriots! Seriously, I think they've played both teams like 4 of the last 5 years of something (at least it seems like it).

[quote name='lombarvm']Quick question about the draft:

Who will be the better pro. Rashad Mendenhall or Darren McFadden?[/QUOTE]

Mendenhall /end Illinois bias/

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I'm gonna be torn when Chicago faces Jacksonville. My favorite NFC team vs my favorite AFC team... end in a tie? :lol:[/quote]

Go with the Jags! :lol:

[quote name='voidcoefficient']*sigh*[/quote]
I can't imagine he'd be upset if he came here. He'd sure get a lot of attention, and him and Berrian would be on fire.
/dream

I'd be frustrated if I was Chad, but he sure could've handled that situation more elegantly.

Wonder if the Steelers will try to go after Matt Jones to get a tall receiver for Ben. I wouldn't mind getting him, but only for a late pick.

[quote name='voidcoefficient']*sigh*[/quote]

Chad really wants to win and he doesn't see winning in Cincinnati. Maybe Cincinnati should screw him over and send him to a team that's reconstructing. :lol:

Chad has every right to be upset at the team.. even though they couldn't control the Pollack injury or Palmer injury...etc.. they could have not drafted like knuckleheads..

[quote name='DJSteel']Chad has every right to be upset at the team.. even though they couldn't control the Pollack injury or Palmer injury...etc.. they could have not drafted like knuckleheads..[/quote]

That hit that Carson took in the playoffs really seems like it cursed this franchise.

I'm not big on trading stud WR's, ie; 49ers trading Owens.

Chad is all talk, he'll be back, any team with Carson/Rudi/Chad/T.J. can compete.

They need A LOT of defensive help, with a couple of decent signings maybe, they could contend at like 7-9 or 8-8. But their division is pretty stacked.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']I'd take Chad in Chicago... as long as he wasn't allowed to speak.[/quote]

And I'd take Chad in Philly. :D

The only real reason Chad is acting the way he is right now is because he wants the team, the owners and the fans to dislike him, ultimately resulting in a trade. Cincinnati has stated a few times already that Chad "isn't going anywhere." So his recent outburst is a bit of a last resort, just in time for the draft. At least that's the way the situation appears in my eyes.

When Chad was told on a radio station that the Bengals released Chris Henry you could hear the concern of his future in his voice. Sure his words were, "But he's good, they need him," but he really thought, "fuck, now they really won't let me go."

[quote name='ph33r m3']That hit that Carson took in the playoffs really seems like it cursed this franchise.

I'm not big on trading stud WR's, ie; 49ers trading Owens.

Chad is all talk, he'll be back, any team with Carson/Rudi/Chad/T.J. can compete.

They need A LOT of defensive help, with a couple of decent signings maybe, they could contend at like 7-9 or 8-8. But their division is pretty stacked.[/quote]

what people don't realize was that their 2005 season was an illusion.. their defense was getting so many turnovers.. it was obvious that the turnover ratio was not going to last..add in the fact they draft like morons..

I wonder how he would look in Dallas....

Unfortunately I doubt they make enough footballs in the world for him and T.O be able to share, but damn if only they could.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']And I'd take Chad in Philly. :D

The only real reason Chad is acting the way he is right now is because he wants the team, the owners and the fans to dislike him, ultimately resulting in a trade. Cincinnati has stated a few times already that Chad "isn't going anywhere." So his recent outburst is a bit of a last resort, just in time for the draft. At least that's the way the situation appears in my eyes.

When Chad was told on a radio station that the Bengals released Chris Henry you could hear the concern of his future in his voice. Sure his words were, "But he's good, they need him," but he really thought, "fuck, now they really won't let me go."[/QUOTE]

Astute points all around. And, to bolster your first claim (85 is throwing a tantrum to get the city to turn on him, which will lead to his release), it sure as hell worked for Corey Dillon. It's overly kind to say Dillon was persona non grata when he left the Bengals. 12 months later he had a Super Bowl ring on his hand.

EDIT: BTW, it's already working in Johnson's favor: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080417/SPT02/304170023

The Bengals...man, I don't even know what needs fixing at this point. It's easy enough to say "more linebackers," but their defense is so anemic on several fronts. I've dealt with their losing seasons since 1991 with two exceptions, so I'm kind of indifferent at this point. The biggest problem is that dumbasses sellout the stadium, so there's absolutely zero financial incentive to change. Mike Brown is such a sack of fuckin' shit all around.

Who knows? Maybe 85's attitude will get people to realize that the team isn't as beholden to the city as they are to the team, and they'll stop flocking like moronic sheep in Chad Johnson jerseys to games they blow time in and time out.

Well, we'll always have Houshmandzadeh. I hope.

With all the talk about how much the Bengals need help on defense and everything, at least you guys aren't Atlanta Falcons fans like me. We've had some really poor draft choices the past several years and if we don't get this one right, we'll be bad for a really long time.

Right back at'cha. The Bengals have BEEN bad since the first Bush administration. At least you're forward looking with some solid seasons behind you, rather than looking forward worrying if the worst is behind you or if it lies ahead still.

2 winning seasons since 1990. That is all.

[quote name='mykevermin']
EDIT: BTW, it's already working in Johnson's favor: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080417/SPT02/304170023[/quote]

We had a similar situation here with TO. It'll be interesting to see where he goes come draft day...if he even goes anywhere.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']With all the talk about how much the Bengals need help on defense and everything, at least you guys aren't Atlanta Falcons fans like me. We've had some really poor draft choices the past several years and if we don't get this one right, we'll be bad for a really long time.[/quote]

The Falcons have the most draft picks this year right? So hopefully something will go right there.

[quote name='ph33r m3']If i'm the Eagles, i'm calling up the Bengals and offering the house for Chad.[/quote]

I'm sure they are, along with the Redskins. Do the Bengals need a CB?

[quote name='primetime']I'd be frustrated if I was Chad, but he sure could've handled that situation more elegantly.

Wonder if the Steelers will try to go after Matt Jones to get a tall receiver for Ben. I wouldn't mind getting him, but only for a late pick.[/quote]

The Steelers would be smart not to want Matt Jones. I think he'll be released. He has not done anything and doesn't show any interest in playing football. I was excited to see if he could do, but am sick of him. I love the Steelers Tight End and would definately want him on the Jaguars.

[quote name='jbuck138']The Steelers would be smart not to want Matt Jones. I think he'll be released. He has not done anything and doesn't show any interest in playing football. I was excited to see if he could do, but am sick of him. I love the Steelers Tight End and would definately want him on the Jaguars.[/quote]

I can't really name a WR that's succeeded in Jacksonville (excluding McCardell and Smith). Reggie Williams hasn't been up to his draft spot, and Jerry Porter will be a huge bust.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I can't really name a WR that's succeeded in Jacksonville (excluding McCardell and Smith). Reggie Williams hasn't been up to his draft spot, and Jerry Porter will be a huge bust.[/QUOTE]

Wilford isn't that bad. Jax receivers can't be elite because of the nature of their team. Hard nose defense and pound the ball.

The Bengals can't trade Johnson without being fiscally irresponsible. The Bengals would take an 8 million dollar cap hit with a release or trade of Ocho Cinco. Marvin Lewis has publicly stated that either he plays, or he sits. I am personally not going to hate so much on Ocho because he has done a lot for the franchise in terms of TV exposure, and wins. However, he doesn't help the team with childish behavior. He does have a legitimate reason to gripe in Cincinnati because a lot of the teams problems were put on his shoulders last year by the Cincinnati media when really they had nothing to do with him. Bad defense and an inconsistent running game led to their demise, not Chad's antics.

I am really excited in watching the Lions fuck up yet another draft.

Their are rumors that they will try to trade up and get Mat Ryan from boston college. That guy is a complete bust and worthless to any team that drafts him before the 3 or 4 round.

I hope my Titans get a good draft going and put some talent around Young and maybe get some defense back.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am really excited in watching the Lions fuck up yet another draft.

Their are rumors that they will try to trade up and get Mat Ryan from boston college. That guy is a complete bust and worthless to any team that drafts him before the 3 or 4 round.

I hope my Titans get a good draft going and put some talent around Young and maybe get some defense back.[/QUOTE]

How can you say he is a bust if he did not even play a down in the NFL yet? He will definitely go in the first round to someone, as he is rated the top QB in the draft. Not saying that means anything, but the QB position is the hardest to tell if someone is going to be good or not in the NFL.

More news: Defensive End Jared Allen is now a Minnesota Viking. The Vikes gave up their 2008 first round pick, a couple third round picks, and swapped 6th round picks with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Contract deal for Allen is $74 million with $31 million guaranteed over 6 years.

Source

[quote name='DomLando']How can you say he is a bust if he did not even play a down in the NFL yet? He will definitely go in the first round to someone, as he is rated the top QB in the draft. Not saying that means anything, but the QB position is the hardest to tell if someone is going to be good or not in the NFL.[/quote]

I completely disagree. Its easy to tell an NFL QB from a dumbass back QB....other than the complete random people like Tom Brady.

Mat Ryan will be a complete bust. Why?

He played in fruity system at Boston College. A system that is Anti-NFL. There are systems in college that are so vastly opposite from the NFL that you have no hope of even competing for an NFL job. Hawaii is a great example. Colleges use these fruity ass systems to make up for lack of talent by big schools.

He doesnt have a strong arm.
He he not mobile at all.

If you look at his stats you will find he throws 30/45-55 for 300ish 3 or 4 picks couple TDs

You simple CAN NOT need that many attempts to get 300 yards. Even the worst NFL defense will eat you alive with those number.

He barely beat Michigan State (which require Michigan state to fumble) to beat them. A good QB would have beat them by 2 or 3 TDs.

Simply put. Mat Ryan is the best QB out of one of the WORST QB classes of the last 10 years. Any other year and no one.....AND I MEAN NO ONE would even be looking at this joke for anything other than a 3rd round pick.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I completely disagree. Its easy to tell an NFL QB from a dumbass back QB....other than the complete random people like Tom Brady.

Mat Ryan will be a complete bust. Why?

He played in fruity system at Boston College. A system that is Anti-NFL. There are systems in college that are so vastly opposite from the NFL that you have no hope of even competing for an NFL job. Hawaii is a great example. Colleges use these fruity ass systems to make up for lack of talent by big schools.

He doesnt have a strong arm.
He he not mobile at all.

If you look at his stats you will find he throws 30/45-55 for 300ish 3 or 4 picks couple TDs

You simple CAN NOT need that many attempts to get 300 yards. Even the worst NFL defense will eat you alive with those number.

He barely beat Michigan State (which require Michigan state to fumble) to beat them. A good QB would have beat them by 2 or 3 TDs.

Simply put. Mat Ryan is the best QB out of one of the WORST QB classes of the last 10 years. Any other year and no one.....AND I MEAN NO ONE would even be looking at this joke for anything other than a 3rd round pick.[/QUOTE]

I guess you are smarter than NFL scouts and experts. I am not saying you are wrong about Ryan but QB is the hardest position to figure out. For all the great first round QBs that went there have been huge disappointments like Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, etc.

Didnt say I was smarter than NFL scouts.

QB is not the hardest to figure out. Its the hardest to play.

Simply questions can take out many a QB before they even have a chance to strap up. Again its not going to happen every damn time so your Ryan Leaf example doesnt really work. There will always be huge bust at all positions and there will always be sleepers at all positions.

Questions like:
Strong Arm?
Mobile enough to avoid sacks? (not even scrambling just slight movements to buy time)
Ball placement?

As you can see he needs a horrid amount of attempts to get to an average amount of yards. That with the picks/TD ratios clearly says he is not good enough to place the ball where it needs to be.

His stats are barely average for the amount of passes he throws. That simply does not work in the NFL.

There are a lot of people in the media saying the same thing about Ryan as I am. But he will be a bust. The only reason he has any hype at all is because this is a horrid QB draft class.

Basically......the guy is fucking Jon Kitna. Is Jon Kitna considered good? Hell no. Tough but not even close to being good. They both have inflated stats due to how many passing attempts they have. Bust all the way.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Didnt say I was smarter than NFL scouts.

QB is not the hardest to figure out. Its the hardest to play.

Simply questions can take out many a QB before they even have a chance to strap up. Again its not going to happen every damn time so your Ryan Leaf example doesnt really work. There will always be huge bust at all positions and there will always be sleepers at all positions.

Questions like:
Strong Arm?
Mobile enough to avoid sacks? (not even scrambling just slight movements to buy time)
Ball placement?

As you can see he needs a horrid amount of attempts to get to an average amount of yards. That with the picks/TD ratios clearly says he is not good enough to place the ball where it needs to be.

His stats are barely average for the amount of passes he throws. That simply does not work in the NFL.

There are a lot of people in the media saying the same thing about Ryan as I am. But he will be a bust. The only reason he has any hype at all is because this is a horrid QB draft class.

Basically......the guy is fucking Jon Kitna. Is Jon Kitna considered good? Hell no. Tough but not even close to being good. They both have inflated stats due to how many passing attempts they have. Bust all the way.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is you can't declare someone a bust until you give them sometime to develop under NFL coaching. And the reason I made the comment of you being smarter than NFL scouts and experts, was because everyone has him as the top rated QB and going in the first round. I realize the quality of QBs in this draft is weak, but if NFL teams are willing to take him in the first round it obviously isn't as easy to decipher if he is going to be good or not as you make it.

[quote name='DomLando']All I'm saying is you can't declare someone a bust until you give them sometime to develop under NFL coaching. And the reason I made the comment of you being smarter than NFL scouts and experts, was because everyone has him as the top rated QB and going in the first round. I realize the quality of QBs in this draft is weak, but if NFL teams are willing to take him in the first round it obviously isn't as easy to decipher if he is going to be good or not as you make it.[/quote]

And thats a valid point. But not all draft scouts are considering him going that high.

I am sticking by my super bust point. But lets change subjects.

The Bears might lose Brian U. They refuse to give into contract changes. He is threating to retire due to neck injuries.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am really excited in watching the Lions fuck up yet another draft.

I hope my Titans get a good draft going and put some talent around Young and maybe get some defense back.[/quote]

I follow the Lions religiously and have heard not a peep about us trading up for Matt Ryan..We just drafted Drew Stanton with the ?34th? ( i think, may have been pick 40) last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back