2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutler had a pretty good receiving core to throw to, so I don't know where you get that he had nothing to throw to. He had absolutely no running game or defense to protect the leads he could offer, so he pretty much won eight games by himself last year. The fact that the new douchebag coach didn't want to keep the only good thing about the team last year just destroys any hope I had for Denver this year.

id love for the 49ers to get cutler, the 10th pick and (aka marc sanchez) could be pretty enticing for denver.

the 49ers receivers arent great, but they have a lot of cap room, if they can bring in cutler they may be able to entice a true number 1. then again, they have a young group of WR, with a boarderline elite QB and gore rushing morgan and hill could break out this year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cutler had a pretty good receiving core to throw to, so I don't know where you get that he had nothing to throw to. He had absolutely no running game or defense to protect the leads he could offer, so he pretty much won eight games by himself last year. The fact that the new douchebag coach didn't want to keep the only good thing about the team last year just destroys any hope I had for Denver this year.[/quote]

Marshall is good but Stokley, Royal, Gaffney and whoever else they have that I can't think of right now are just average, IMO. I mean it's not nothing but it's not Fitzgerald/Boldin or Reggie Wayne either...

Well, no crap that they don't match the Cards' amazing trio, but you don't get 4,500 yards passing without some good guys catching those passes. Royal was the best WR in this rookie class and Marshall's a solid #1 to keep attention off of Royal so he can do his thing. Then there's Tony Scheffler, who is a very good TE and was a big target for Cutler.

Over 1,200 to Marshall, 20 yards shy of 1,000 for Royal, and over 600 yards for Scheffler is close to 3k yards for just those three players, which is pretty good for any set of three receivers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Well, no crap that they don't match the Cards' amazing trio, but you don't get 4,500 yards passing without some good guys catching those passes. Royal was the best WR in this rookie class and Marshall's a solid #1 to keep attention off of Royal so he can do his thing. Then there's Tony Scheffler, who is a very good TE and was a big target for Cutler.

Over 1,200 to Marshall, 20 yards shy of 1,000 for Royal, and over 600 yards for Scheffler is close to 3k yards for just those three players, which is pretty good for any set of three receivers.[/quote]

OK, you win.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9403016/Cutler-speaks:-

Cutler said he didn't want to be traded..............

My 5 words to sum up the Cutler fiasco:

Bowlen's fault from the beginning

Think about it when he was interviewing for coaches, he should have told every candidate that Cutler is the QB for the Broncos from 09 and beyond. You will learn to work with Cutler and not trade for anyone else. Everything could had been avoided if Bowlen made that cleared to the coaching candidates in their interviews.

Also JaveryH, Royal is very good WR and a great complement to Marshall. His route running is like 10-year veteran and has that big play threat with him.

49ers are going to unveil their new uniforms just before the start of the draft on the 24th of this month.

They have been talking about having new uniforms similar to the ones from the 80's so it will be interesting to see if it will be a straight throwback or a modified one.

Here's the link but what I said was pretty much it, it mostly has info on the draft day party.
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5213

[quote name='integralsmatic']any team that Gets Cutler will be ten times better.[/quote]

Uh. Maybe.

But considering the reported price for Cutler is 2 1st round picks and a player, possibly a QB... talk about overpriced... That's almost what I'd have expected a base package to start looking like if the Pats had been smart enough to trade Brady.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Uh. Maybe.

But considering the reported price for Cutler is 2 1st round picks and a player, possibly a QB... talk about overpriced... That's almost what I'd have expected a base package to start looking like if the Pats had been smart enough to trade Brady.[/quote]

If I was a GM I would almost ALWAYS trade away my 1st round picks unless it was a can't-miss prospect like a Mario Williams or something. The salary cap hit is too much and you can find talent in just about any round. I'd give up 2 first rounders and my current starting QB for Cutler in a second (unless I was running one of the 6 or 7 teams with franchise QBs - basically every team except the Colts, Patriots, Saints, Steelers and maybe the Giants and maybe the Chiefs).

[quote name='DT778']49ers are going to unveil their new uniforms just before the start of the draft on the 24th of this month.

They have been talking about having new uniforms similar to the ones from the 80's so it will be interesting to see if it will be a straight throwback or a modified one.

Here's the link but what I said was pretty much it, it mostly has info on the draft day party.
http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5213[/QUOTE]

Nice. My friend warned me not to pick up a Willis Jersey last year because of the change in jerseys. Hopefully they look good.

[quote name='javeryh']If I was a GM I would almost ALWAYS trade away my 1st round picks unless it was a can't-miss prospect like a Mario Williams or something. The salary cap hit is too much and you can find talent in just about any round. I'd give up 2 first rounders and my current starting QB for Cutler in a second (unless I was running one of the 6 or 7 teams with franchise QBs - basically every team except the Colts, Patriots, Saints, Steelers and maybe the Giants and maybe the Chiefs).[/quote]

The thing I can't fathom is the reported interest of Cleveland. They have Quinn. They have Anderson. Unless they trade them both, why get Jay Cutler?

Makes more sense for someone like, say, the Redskins, who could trade Jason Campell for Culter and picks could be exchanged to even things out.

--

GMs don't always do what makes sense though, mang. I still don't know how, other than fear of negative fan reaction, you don't look at moving the rehabbing Tom Brady (i.e. give him the Bledsoe treatment) for the King's ransom he'd bring in and go foward with Cassel as the future. They already proved they can win with him and you don't need Brady to continue the success. They proved the team is more than one player with their treatment of Deion Branch, Asante Samuel, or Adam Vinatieri. So if I'm their GM, Brady is gone to the highest bidder.

Cutler just got traded to the BEARS. I didn't see that one coming. No details on who the Broncos got but I hope for their sake it wasn't Sexy Rexy.

wow.... that many picks and orton?

crazy

Cutler has been traded to the Chicago Bears for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton, FOXSports.com has learned. Denver will receive Chicago's first- and third-round pick in this year's draft, and Chicago's first-round pick in 2010, along with Orton. The Bears get Cutler and the Broncos' fifth-round pick this year.

[quote name='guyver2077']wow.... that many picks and orton?

crazy

Cutler has been traded to the Chicago Bears for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton, FOXSports.com has learned. Denver will receive Chicago's first- and third-round pick in this year's draft, and Chicago's first-round pick in 2010, along with Orton. The Bears get Cutler and the Broncos' fifth-round pick this year.[/quote]
Holy Cow

Holy crap! I wanted the Bears to get Cutler but we overpaid like a champ... If we only had him a couple years ago for our Superbowl run instead of Grossman...

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Wow, this just confirms that Belichick gave Pioli a gift in that trade. And here I thought the Schaub trade was crazy unbalanced...[/quote]

What gift?

A $14 Mill cap hit? It was too high a price to pay for an unproven(outside the Pats system) QB.

The $14 mil salary SEVERELY dropped Cassel's tradability.

-----------------------

I can't wait for all the pre-season predictions of the Vi-Queens winning the NFC North w/ the worst QB in the division.

:cool:

[quote name='manthing']What gift?

A $14 Mill cap hit? It was too high a price to pay for an unproven(outside the Pats system) QB.

The $14 mil salary SEVERELY dropped Cassel's tradability.[/quote]
What gift? Well, giving Vrabel away for free, and taking less than market value for Cassel. I know, I know, Vrabel is generally considered old and washed up but he is one season removed from a 77 tackle, 12.5 sack year. If nothing else, Vrabel at least held value for the Patriots as a starting OLB.

At first glance the cap hit is too high for what Matt has done so far, but honestly what else do the Chiefs have of value that would give them pause before cutting loose? Gonzo, that lineman they drafted last year, LJ, Bowe, Hali, Derrick Johnson, a few B-level players maybe. The Chiefs are going nowhere so they can afford to wait, resign Cassel to a longer deal and build with a few drafts.

Too high a price to pay? So how do two first rounders, a third, and Neckbeard weigh for you? Teams are overpaying for promising young QBs, it's important for the sellers to cash in whenever possible. Belichick could've gotten more from another team, regardless of how good Cassel turns out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back