2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='zman73']that Belichick is one of the sorest losers the ever coach in the NFL[/QUOTE]
How has he acted in anything but a professional manner? He wouldn't shake Mangini's hand. Mangini was tampering with his coaching staff while still an employee of the Patriots. Tell me which one is more unprofessional?

[quote name='dafoomie']How has he acted in anything but a professional manner? He wouldn't shake Mangini's hand. Mangini was tampering with his coaching staff while still an employee of the Patriots. Tell me which one is more unprofessional?[/QUOTE]

He's a sore loser because he Coaches the Patriots. The most hated team in the NFL. Why do people hate the Patriots? Because they are a great team and people hate them for that...

I honestly don't know why people have such hatred towards the Pats, Tom Brady, or the Coach.

Ive seen him on more thsn one occasion (most notably after the Super Bowl last year and losing the the colts the year before in the AFC title game) refuse to shake hands with coaches etc after they lost

BTW... Im not a Patriots fan... but I dont hate them (unlike most of the comments Ive seen directed about the Steelers, I respect them for what theyve done)... and if you think my comment is totally pointed at the patriots... click the link...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...s-been-a-sore-loser-for-a-long-?urn=nfl,92329

Trust me... I defended this guy for years AFTER the Browns let him go... He was basically let go after a subpar year with Cleveland... one marred by the cloud of Cleveland moving to Baltimore over it... it would have been difficult for ANYONE to get a team to focus under such conditions. Allegations over the years aside, he is still one hell of a coach... but a sore loser...

[quote name='DJSteel']#1 - The Ball was out of his hand before his arm move forward. The reason the ball moved forward was because his arm hit the ball.. It was a good call. [/quote]
Please read the NFL Rule Book in Rule 3 Section 21 which defines a pass:
"A Pass is the movement of the ball caused by handing, throwing, shoving
(shovel pass), or pushing (push pass) by a runner (3-27-1). Such a movement is a pass, even though the ball does not leave his hand or hands, provided a teammate takes it (hand-to-hand pass)."
Cearly, Warner's act was a pass.

Furthermore, a forward pass is defined as follows:
"(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hands; or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s
hand; or
(c) the ball is handed (regardless of the direction of the movement of the ball) to a player who is in advance of a teammate from whose hands he takes or receives it."
Warner's pass satisfied both a and b.

"Note 1: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his hand starts a forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player."

All that has to happen for a forward pass is for the arm to begin to come forward... bad call.

#2 - TO didn't get penalized for using the football as a prop for the spygate td celebration. At least I think not. Seems nitpicky to me considering.
I'm not a fan of the rule, but the rule states that the following is unsportsmanlike conduct during a celebration:
"(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop."
There is no room for a judgment call...

#3 - The holder is the extension of the kicker. The holder can't block and is just as vulnerable as the kicker. I haven't seen it either but I haven't seen some one run into a placeholder.
The rule is on the books, and can be called, but "Severity of contact and potential for injury are to be considered." The play did not seem like it warrented 15 yds.

#4 - How about Larry Fitzgerald engaging in the tackle from out of bounds. He jumped on Harrison from the out of bounds. That is also a penalty, I believe.
I am not aware of that rule. I know that purposely staying out of bounds is a penalty plus on offense, you lose eligibility if you go out of bounds on your own accord and the same goes for punts/kickoffs, but on defense, you can be out of bounds if you are pushed out.

#5 - I don't know the rule. I don't know if he didn't hit him a certain way that wasn't considered a punch.
http://www.pronewsblog.com/sports/james-harrison-punching-aaron-francisco/
Unsportsmanlike conduct:
"(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made."
If flagrant, the player is to be disqualified.

[quote name='BigT']Please read the NFL Rule Book in Rule 3 Section 21 which defines a pass:
(shovel pass), or pushing (push pass) by a runner (3-27-1). Such a movement is a pass, even though the ball does not leave his hand or hands, provided a teammate takes it (hand-to-hand pass)."

"(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hands; or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s
hand; or
(c) the ball is handed (regardless of the direction of the movement of the ball) to a player who is in advance of a teammate from whose hands he takes or receives it."
Warner's pass satisfied both a and b.

"Note 1: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his hand starts a forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player."

All that has to happen for a forward pass is for the arm to begin to come forward... bad call.

I'm not a fan of the rule, but the rule states that the following is unsportsmanlike conduct during a celebration:
"(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop."

The rule is on the books, and can be called, but "Severity of contact and potential for injury are to be considered." The play did not seem like it warrented 15 yds.

I am not aware of that rule. I know that purposely staying out of bounds is a penalty plus on offense, you lose eligibility if you go out of bounds on your own accord and the same goes for punts/kickoffs, but on defense, you can be out of bounds if you are pushed out.

Unsportsmanlike conduct:
"(a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made."
If flagrant, the player is to be disqualified.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Very Nice :applause:

Watching the video of what Harrison did is down right nasty. Dirtiest player in the NFL? O Fo Sho!

[quote name='pimpinc333']He's a sore loser because he Coaches the Patriots. The most hated team in the NFL. Why do people hate the Patriots? Because they are a great team and people hate them for that...

I honestly don't know why people have such hatred towards the Pats, Tom Brady, or the Coach.[/QUOTE]

The Cowboys have much bigger problems than Romo.

They need depth in the secondary in case they get worked over with injuries like they did this season. They also need a defensive leader. Jerry needs to open his pocket book and woo Ray Lewis. Even if he isn't as good as he was, this team needs a leader and he can be the guy that they need. They also need to make sure their corner play is up to par. Newman staying healthy will play a large part in that.

They need their line to gel better so that they can provide better protection. Adams being hurt was probably a big cause for the downgrade, but they still need to make sure this unit doesn't slip.

If they get these two areas fixed up I think everything else will work itself out. Williams will be just fine after him and Romo get their timing down. The trade came right when the injury happened and it is hard to get timing together that quick. An offseason should fix their problems there.

Vegas put the Cowboys as the NFC rep because they probably still are the best team in the NFC if not the league. Any other team that had as many injuries as they did would be lucky to finish 9-7 in their division.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The Cowboys have much bigger problems than Romo.

They need depth in the secondary in case they get worked over with injuries like they did this season. They also need a defensive leader. Jerry needs to open his pocket book and woo Ray Lewis. Even if he isn't as good as he was, this team needs a leader and he can be the guy that they need. They also need to make sure their corner play is up to par. Newman staying healthy will play a large part in that.

They need their line to gel better so that they can provide better protection. Adams being hurt was probably a big cause for the downgrade, but they still need to make sure this unit doesn't slip.

If they get these two areas fixed up I think everything else will work itself out. Williams will be just fine after him and Romo get their timing down. The trade came right when the injury happened and it is hard to get timing together that quick. An offseason should fix their problems there.

Vegas put the Cowboys as the NFC rep because they probably still are the best team in the NFC if not the league. Any other team that had as many injuries as they did would be lucky to finish 9-7 in their division.[/QUOTE]

I see a lot of potential in Mike Jenkins at CB this year. Moving Henry to Safety would also be a great idea ( Not too sure what Dallas Plans to do with SS Roy Williams ATM, I like him. I think they should keep him )

Getting a guy like Ray Lewis would be awesome. If we did it most likely would eliminate the chance of resigning Zach Thomas to another 1 year deal. Dallas is really deep at LB but we do need that Defensive leader and I think Ray Lewis is still a great player.

I hope Williams workouts out. I do think Dallas needs a little speedster deep threat. Percy Harvin would be awesome if he slips into the second round but I doubt it.

Offensive line was an issue. Adams played bad when we had that one Shitty Left Guard in. When Kyle Kosier was healthy our line was pretty solid. Same when that other guys lasted a couple of games Montrae Holland. I think that shitty dude was Cory Procter. He really took out O Line down a couple of pegs. Just terrible.

Dude the Cowboys lost badly to my beloved Rams last year... :D they are a complete mess and neither Tony Romo or their team has won a playoff game in recent memory...

Plus as Al Bundy said: "Leave me alone, Peg. The Bears are playing the Rams... and if you lose to the Rams, you get kicked out of the league." ;)

[quote name='zman73']Ive seen him on more thsn one occasion (most notably after the Super Bowl last year and losing the the colts the year before in the AFC title game) refuse to shake hands with coaches etc after they lost[/QUOTE]
Belichick and Dungy do not like each other, Dungy has gone out of his way to rip Belichick in the press. I consider Dungy a world class douchebag.

Belichick shook Tom Coughlin's hand with :01 left on the clock before the final play was run. I don't know what the problem is there.

No other coach has his postgame actions so closely scrutinized. I don't think anything he's done is outside of the norm for NFL coaches, and contrary to what the media may say, I think more coaches respect him than not.

Most NFL head coaches have personality issues, it comes with the territory. Belichick is a smug prick when he wants to be and he doesn't give a fuck who knows it or what anyone thinks. Others pay more attention to their image and perception in the media, but are horrible human beings.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigT']Please read the NFL Rule Book in Rule 3 Section 21 which defines a pass:

hand; or

All that has to happen for a forward pass is for the arm to begin to come forward... bad call.[/quote]

yeah einstein that is the rule, but the ball was out of Warner's hand before his arm went forward and the motion of his arm batted it forward. If that is considered a pass then anytime a qb throws a pass and the ball gets batted back to them and they smack it down, it should be flagged for a double pass..

Ok, well they didn't consistently call it during the season. So I'm not sure you should expect them to call that.

They've changed that. There is no incidental contact call anymore. If there was that would have only been a 5yd penalty. Same with facemasks.

He was allowed to run out of bounds, but he engaged in a tackle from out of bounds.. that is illegal. I forget what the call is.

Unsportsmanlike conduct:
If flagrant, the player is to be disqualified.
He didn't hit the guy with a closed fist. It's definitely a judgement call and I've see worse during punt returns and they just give them the 15 yds..

[quote name='dafoomie']Belichick and Dungy do not like each other, Dungy has gone out of his way to rip Belichick in the press. I consider Dungy a world class douchebag.

Belichick shook Tom Coughlin's hand with :01 left on the clock before the final play was run. I don't know what the problem is there.

No other coach has his postgame actions so closely scrutinized. I don't think anything he's done is outside of the norm for NFL coaches, and contrary to what the media may say, I think more coaches respect him than not.

Most NFL head coaches have personality issues, it comes with the territory. Belichick is a smug prick when he wants to be and he doesn't give a fuck who knows it or what anyone thinks. Others pay more attention to their image and perception in the media, but are horrible human beings.[/quote]

I don't hate the Pats.. I hate Belicheck just because he coached the Browns back in the day and because no matter what is going to happen from now till he retires he either cheated or allowed his coaching staff to cheat. Either way he has proven that he can care less about his rep if he just wins..

I LOL'ed at the ESPN headline, "Brooks, Dunn done in Tampa Bay".

B00005B1ED.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

So Haynesworth gets a $100 million dollar contract. Wow. D line men prices are about to go up. $40 million guaranteed. The Redskins are ridiculous. Haynesworth is a beast, but he is hurt often and runs out of gas by the 4th quarter.

They better hope Albert actually plays now and doesn't decide to take it easy.

[quote name='DomLando']Haynesworth is a beast, but he is hurt often and runs out of gas by the 4th quarter.[/quote]

Not to mention his questionable character.

Also, apparently Minnesota thinks Sage Rosenfels is going to be the answer to their QB prayers. I don't see that happening.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Not to mention his questionable character.

Also, apparently Minnesota thinks Sage Rosenfels is going to be the answer to their QB prayers. I don't see that happening.[/QUOTE]

He's a better option than what they have. He can actually throw the ball.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I think Jeff Garcia would have been a better option.[/QUOTE]

Well Rosenfels is only 30, Garcia is now 39. Garcia has 1 maybe 2 more years left in him. The way Garcia plays the game as well and at his age, he is most likely going to get injured at one point or another. He hasn't played a full season since 2002. Yeah I know he was a back up in a few places he went too, but at 39 it would be tough to do. Rosenfels has shown potential over the past couple seasons. The running game of Peterson should help. They just need him to get his turnovers down.

[quote name='DomLando']So Haynesworth gets a $100 million dollar contract. Wow. D line men prices are about to go up. $40 million guaranteed. The Redskins are ridiculous. Haynesworth is a beast, but he is hurt often and runs out of gas by the 4th quarter.

They better hope Albert actually plays now and doesn't decide to take it easy.[/QUOTE]

I love how the Redskins toss around a ton of money every single year and add a ton of dynamic players each year but they don't get any better.

I like the Eagles getting Stacy Andrews. I don't know why they won't get Housh. Unless they are sure they can trade for a better receiver (Boldin, maybe Edwards), they seem to be risking it all by waiting. I agree that Housh isn't really a #1 option, but there's not much choice.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']I like the Eagles getting Stacy Andrews. I don't know why they won't get Housh. Unless they are sure they can trade for a better receiver (Boldin, maybe Edwards), they seem to be risking it all by waiting. I agree that Housh isn't really a #1 option, but there's not much choice.[/QUOTE]

They already said they will not pick up a WR in Free Agency. They could trade for one but it seems like they don't want to spend money on a WR because it's not that important...

[quote name='pimpinc333']I love how the Redskins toss around a ton of money every single year and add a ton of dynamic players each year but they don't get any better.[/QUOTE]

yep and dont forget Hall got paid up at 56 million. he has to be the luckiest son of a bitch of the century. he first gets a huge contract from Oakland and gets cut but still gets paid and then signs a one year deal with the skins and gets paid....and than gets paid nearly the same amount he made from Oakland. No economic downturn for Mr.Snyder huh.

Well the Bills got rid of both Royal and Dockery which now leads to a gaping whole at RT. Royal i can care less about. But i guess that means Peters is going to get paid up.

Not sure I agree with Brooks being released by Tampa - and trading for Winslow? He's a f'n soulja, but can he stay healthy and produce results?

[quote name='integralsmatic']yep and dont forget Hall got paid up at 56 million. he has to be the luckiest son of a bitch of the century. he first gets a huge contract from Oakland and gets cut but still gets paid and then signs a one year deal with the skins and gets paid....and than gets paid nearly the same amount he made from Oakland. No economic downturn for Mr.Snyder huh.

Well the Bills got rid of both Royal and Dockery which now leads to a gaping whole at RT. Royal i can care less about. But i guess that means Peters is going to get paid up.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Hall made like 20 Mil Guaranteed from Oakland last year and now another 20 mil Guaranteed from the Skins.

[quote name='SoulReaver']WTF are the Eagles doing? Dawkins leaving? No Housh?

Where are the playmakers promised to us with the $50 million cap they had[/quote]
AND they traded Shepperd for.....a 5th rounder and a conditional next year. Seems like we're just creating more holes and getting worse.

Dawkins is 100 years old and he is at least 4 years beyond the Eagles plans. They cut everyone at 30 with very few exceptions.

[quote name='javeryh']Dawkins is 100 years old and he is at least 4 years beyond the Eagles plans. They cut everyone at 30 with very few exceptions.[/QUOTE]

Dawkins was one of the best Defensive players in the league last year. He was the reason the Eagles made it that far into the playoffs. You can't replace Veteran Leadership.

[quote name='Synergy']And Cassel to the Chiefs. Who didn't see that one coming?

I wonder what we got, I hate it when only half of a trade is broken in the news.

Also haven't heard about what we snagged for Vrabel. Looks like we'll have a stockpile of picks for the draft.[/quote]

I read a 2nd round draft pick (34th overall).. not sure if its right though. Even still more draft picks and loosing 14 million in salary.. the Pats are looking good.

What the hell is TJ doing talking to the Vikings? Getting someone like him next to Berrian would be good, as well as having that dangerous AP & Taylor backfield. But it all falls apart at Rosenfels.

Also, I realize they said they won't do much, but please, Chicago, do something!

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']What the hell is TJ doing talking to the Vikings? Getting someone like him next to Berrian would be good, as well as having that dangerous AP & Taylor backfield. But it all falls apart at Rosenfels.

Also, I realize they said they won't do much, but please, Chicago, do something![/quote]

Yeah I'd like to see Chicago do something but it ain't gonna happen. It will be interesting to see if Cassel continues to kick ass or if he becomes the next Scott Mitchell getting phat cash for one good season then crapping out. It's going to be a rough first year in KC as the only real target he'll have to throw to is Tony Gonzales.

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah I'd like to see Chicago do something but it ain't gonna happen. It will be interesting to see if Cassel continues to kick ass or if he becomes the next Scott Mitchell getting phat cash for one good season then crapping out. It's going to be a rough first year in KC as the only real target he'll have to throw to is Tony Gonzales.[/QUOTE]

I've been hoping for something reasonable like a RT (to replace Tait) or veteran running back to help take the strain off Forte. Or a wide receiver. Can we trade McKaskey and Co. to Washington and take Dan Snyder? At least he's willing to spend something.

I don't get it. We're projected at 23 mil under cap, yet everything I've read makes it sound like Chicago has zero room to move. Any ideas other than the general cheapness of the family?

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah I'd like to see Chicago do something but it ain't gonna happen. It will be interesting to see if Cassel continues to kick ass or if he becomes the next Scott Mitchell getting phat cash for one good season then crapping out. It's going to be a rough first year in KC as the only real target he'll have to throw to is Tony Gonzales.[/quote]

Don't sleep on Dwayne Bowe!! He was ranked 14th in fantasy leagues, and that was with Thigpen at quarterback and the previously mentioned TG stealing catches. Also, Franklin might be a good #2. The one catch is if the Chiefs are going to fix that porous o-line that would make this whole conversation moot if they don't.

I've been wishing someone would buy the franchise from the McKaskey's for years. They are horrible owners. If we're going to go with Orton at QB we've got to get him some help, upgrade the O-line, a legit #1 wideout, something! Our D is getting old and has turned very mediocre now so the offense is going to have to crank it up.

[quote name='CL-Insanity']Don't sleep on Dwayne Bowe!! He was ranked 14th in fantasy leagues, and that was with Thigpen at quarterback and the previously mentioned TG stealing catches. Also, Franklin might be a good #2. The one catch is if the Chiefs are going to fix that porous o-line that would make this whole conversation moot if they don't.[/quote]

Bowe has potential if he grows up a little and gets his head out of his ass. Yeah if the KC O-line doesn't improve Cassel isn't going to live long enough to spend any of the phat cash he's about to get.

[quote name='Chitown021']I've been wishing someone would buy the franchise from the McKaskey's for years. They are horrible owners. If we're going to go with Orton at QB we've got to get him some help, upgrade the O-line, a legit #1 wideout, something! Our D is getting old and has turned very mediocre now so the offense is going to have to crank it up.[/QUOTE]

When I get a chance to make my own $50 billion ponzi scheme, this team is the first thing I'm buying.:lol:

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']When I get a chance to make my own $50 billion ponzi scheme, this team is the first thing I'm buying.:lol:[/quote]

LOL, sounds good to me. The Cubs have sucked for years but at least they're willing to open up the wallet and spend some cash to try and improve.

Cassel will be solid in KC, but won't duplicate his success in NE since he doesn't have near the amount of talent he had there in KC.

The Winslow trade to BC was just stupid since Quinn will need Edwards and Winslow to help him out, especially Winslow since a great TE is a young quarterback's best friend.

Brian Dawkins will help out the Denver secondary, and the defense as a whole, greatly since they didn't have a good safety to help the corners like the role John Lynch played for them. Releasing Dre Bly doesn't help their secondary though. They also made a move on their RB situation by picking up Buckhalter and JJ Arrington, but I'm not sure either are great solutions since I'd say the draft has some good options there.

I am bummed we lost Albert but we can probably get someone in there than can at least pretend to make up the difference so I am not that worried. I am also happy that we resigned Kerry Kollin but we are going to need to invest in something long term. What are we going to do with Vince Young? I would rather see him traded as a young project or something why his stock is still decently high.

Come Titans we need 1 or 2 big FA moves.

This FA is crazy this year. I think the Eagles are really shooting themselves in the foot by letting Dawkins go while not having a guy who can step in and take over. It would be different if someone was learning under Dawkins this entire time but there wasnt.....so you basically just lose a pro bowler for nothing.

On to my 2nd team. I am decently happy with what we got for Cassell but I think we should have gotten a little more. Should have gone with a really QB desperate team like the Lions and raped them of their high draft picks or something. 34th overall is decent but could be better.

Now on to the team I grew up on. What the fuck Lions? DO SOMETHING! Every year big names get traded, signed, released and what do we do? Nothing...we spend all our time trying to turn another teams 3 stringer into our superstar.

I am strongly invested in the Lions because I grew up with them but they are draining to follow. They spit in the face of fans all year long with their stupidity.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Dawkins was one of the best Defensive players in the league last year. He was the reason the Eagles made it that far into the playoffs. You can't replace Veteran Leadership.[/quote]

I won't dispute that - it's just the Eagles typically get rid of you when you turn 30.

Oh, Lions Trade Jon Kitna to the Cowboys Another Henry.

Hmmm.......this guys didnt look all that great when I seen the Cowboys play but anything is better than still having Jon Kinta on our team.

I told the wife that I was going to the Chiefs/Steelers game BEFORE they won the Super Bowl... and now that they have Cassell and a new coaching staff that actually wants to win... my $350-400 trip from Vegas probably just turned into $500-600...
Before --
$200 RT ticket, $50 hotel, $50 car rental , $50 (take-it-or-leave it)ticket
After --
$200 RT ticket, $125 hotel, $100 car rental, $100 buy-in-advance ticket

I usually stay as close to the stadium as possible... and yes, a winning or losing team does change the prices to see a game that much....

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh, Lions Trade Jon Kitna to the Cowboys Another Henry.

Hmmm.......this guys didnt look all that great when I seen the Cowboys play but anything is better than still having Jon Kinta on our team.[/QUOTE]
Henry is a beast. He was plagued by injuries last year though. He is a 4-5 INT guy a year. He has lost step though.

I have to give it to the Broncos they are trying to make it work without taking the Redskins approach. Making their team stronger in almost every position.

Broncos the new go to team in Madden 2010?

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah I'd like to see Chicago do something but it ain't gonna happen. It will be interesting to see if Cassel continues to kick ass or if he becomes the next Scott Mitchell getting phat cash for one good season then crapping out. It's going to be a rough first year in KC as the only real target he'll have to throw to is Tony Gonzales.[/quote]

I think its the NFC North in general. I know the Packers aren't going to do a damn thing. The biggest signing is going to be Sage Rosenfels...

49ers signed brandon jones, 5 years 16 mil. not the biggest splash, but i like the signing for the money. with him and morgan, i think well have a better 1/2 than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back