2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='opportunity777']The Cards player ran into the holder because he was too aggressive.

The call didn't cost the Cards the game, but I guess some people would be miffed by it.[/quote]

He wasn't too aggressive. That was an unintentional trip.

The 100 yard INT run back really killed the Cards. Could have been 14-10. But who knows how the 2nd would have turned out then.

But the play that just killed the Cards was the Steelers last drive. Triple Coverage on Holmes and he catches it in the back of the endzone. How the hell did that happen. I still can't believe it.

I am one of those people who think football is the most rigged sport ( Besides boxing ). Not because of what happened in this game but just in general. I think the Playoffs and Super Bowl are very very rigged.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']He wasn't too aggressive. That was an unintentional trip.[/QUOTE]

Usually, the player dives in front of the kicker's leg. He went too far over (trip or not) to make a decent block on the kick.

[quote name='pimpinc333']The 100 yard INT run back really killed the Cards. Could have been 14-10. But who knows how the 2nd would have turned out then.

But the play that just killed the Cards was the Steelers last drive. Triple Coverage on Holmes and he catches it in the back of the endzone. How the hell did that happen. I still can't believe it.

I am one of those people who think football is the most rigged sport ( Besides boxing ). Not because of what happened in this game but just in general. I think the Playoffs and Super Bowl are very very rigged.[/QUOTE]

The NBA isn't on your list of rigged sports? :lol:

The Cards defense was pathetic on that last drive. I was hoping for a Ben pick. The coverage was there, but the execution was terrible. The players were in the position to make the play, and nobody did anything.

In the NFL, there is no rule against pushing a player out before he puts his feet down. For sure, that's what someone should have done to Holmes.

[quote name='keithp']It was good, but no way it beats last year's.

No. Way.[/quote]

Last year's game was not that great. Let's play scenarios here. New England has 1 loss going into that game and loses. Guess what? No one cares. The game wasn't that good. This game had so much more.

100 yd TAINT
An 11-point comeback to take the lead
A 3rd down conversion from a Team's own 1 that gets changed to a Safety
A 2 minute drive that ends with a toe-tapping go-ahead Touchdown

Last years game had that one incredible pass... this years was just wild... single plays changing the complexion of the game... Hope people will start to give Ben a little more credit after what he did on that last drive especially

This years game was great. It was intense. And holy shit does the Cardinals defense absolutely suck. If only they had been able to stop that last drive.

[quote name='zman73']Last years game had that one incredible pass... this years was just wild... single plays changing the complexion of the game... Hope people will start to give Ben a little more credit after what he did on that last drive especially[/QUOTE]

What did he do? I say it was more so Holmes then anything. I also give more credit to Cards #47 Fransico for falling and letting Holmes get a crazy ass gain out of a play that only should have netted 15 yards.

On ESPN, Ben said he thought that last TD pass was picked when he threw it. And if you look at the replay, it JUST went over the Arizona defender's gloves.

[quote name='KingBroly']Last year's game was not that great. Let's play scenarios here. New England has 1 loss going into that game and loses. Guess what? No one cares. The game wasn't that good. This game had so much more.

100 yd TAINT
An 11-point comeback to take the lead
A 3rd down conversion from a Team's own 1 that gets changed to a Safety
A 2 minute drive that ends with a toe-tapping go-ahead Touchdown[/QUOTE]

And last year's game ended with the underdog winning. This year I couldn't care who really won, and I think alot of people wanted the underdog Cards to pull it off, which they didn't. IF they had, I might be inclined to give the nod to this year's game.

That plus the fact that two of my best friends that are married are a Giants and a Patriots fan made it a far better game in my book......

[quote name='KingBroly']On ESPN, Ben said he thought that last TD pass was picked when he threw it. And if you look at the replay, it JUST went over the Arizona defender's gloves.[/QUOTE]

Honestly to me it seemed like the Cards player didn't even reach out as far as he could. He gave it like a half assed attempt.

O Well. Better game then I actually thought it would be. Congrats Steelers.

[quote name='ZForce915']Am I the only one that thought that last play was a forward pass?[/QUOTE]

No. I agree. It was a forward pass. They didn't even give it a second look. Next thing you know the Steelers are snapping the ball.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Here we go Steelers. Here we go! First to 6! Suck on that Tom Brady![/QUOTE]

? What does Tom Brady have to do with the Steelers winning 6 Super Bowls in the life time of the franchise?

[quote name='pimpinc333']No. I agree. It was a forward pass. They didn't even give it a second look. Next thing you know the Steelers are snapping the ball.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. It looked fumble to me.

img11327148.jpg
Goodnight haters :D:applause:

Big Ben shoulda been the MVP. He engineered a 78 yard drive in the final two minutes to win the game. Holmes was good, but Roethlisberger threw a perfect ball.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I say two of those 3 personal fouls on the Cards in that one Steeler drive was bs; the calls by the refs were pretty shady sometimes.[/QUOTE]

the only one that was "shady" was the roughing the qb call, it was close and could have been called either way. and the last fumble they didnt review, i think its fine because it wouldnt have been overturned. his arm was going forward but the ball was already knocked loose at that point.

^^ agreed.
Especially the roughing the passer call- complete bull.

The game really could have gone either way. Steelers were really lucky.

To me it looked like he still hand control of the ball for bit while his arm started going forward then he lost it. But fuck it, what do I know. I just got one quick instant TV replay then the game was over and never to be spoken of again.

They didn't call the celebration after the TD either (shaking the football into his hand like a ketchup bottle, which is using the ball as a prop), would've given Arizona 15 yards on the kickoff on their final drive.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Who was the MVP anywho? Holmes? He seems like the only deserving one.[/QUOTE]

Given the current status of the SB MVP award, Harrison and Ben were the only other options. The best player on the field was Fitzgerald, but I don't know of more than one player (maybe two???) that has won a MVP from the losing side.

Cards were being penalized the whole game. Some are stupid mistakes but most were flat out stupid by the refs. BOTH passes by Warner were incomplete pass, not fumbles. They overturned one fumble and didn't even look at the 2nd one which was complete bullshit.

The Cardinals had a good run this year. I just hope they can rebound and keep the good players around and fix their 2ndary.

[quote name='gokou36']Cards were being penalized the whole game. Some are stupid mistakes but most were flat out stupid by the refs. BOTH passes by Warner were incomplete pass, not fumbles. They overturned one fumble and didn't even look at the 2nd one which was complete bullshit.

The Cardinals had a good run this year. I just hope they can rebound and keep the good players around and fix their 2ndary.[/QUOTE]

As long as people keep tuning in droves, leagues don't care about cleaning up the officiating in games.

Also, basketball and football are the hardest sports to officiate. Honestly, I think there should be an automatic booth review for many types of plays. I don't know the exact rules for college football (because I don't watch it), but supposedly, the replay rules are better.

Btw, I thought the non-reviewed 4th quarter Warner fumble was actually a fumble. I still think it's a fumble. I thought the ball was knocked loose on the pull back, and his arm was in the forward throwing motion without the ball. Even if you disagree with that assessment, he should have thrown the ball away and reset. Sometimes, players put themselves in a position to be at the mercy of the refs.

With that, I need to go to bed. Work sucks. :p

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']Big Ben shoulda been the MVP. He engineered a 78 yard drive in the final two minutes to win the game. Holmes was good, but Roethlisberger threw a perfect ball.[/QUOTE]

and who caught all the passes ben through on that final drive? Holmes. holmes gave ben the opportunity to throw those passes. He was the only WR giving ben open looks the whole game.

A great game and congrats to the Steelers. but this game was either sloppy or just really bad officiating because ive never seen so many penalties called in a SB before. I really do like that kid Dansby though. Guy is going to get paid this off season.

[quote name='dafoomie']They didn't call the celebration after the TD either (shaking the football into his hand like a ketchup bottle, which is using the ball as a prop), would've given Arizona 15 yards on the kickoff on their final drive.[/quote]

Okay then, every time a player spikes the ball, it's a 15 yard penalty. Why? They spiked the ball, a prop.

Not happening I'm afraid.

[quote name='opportunity777']A

Btw, I thought the non-reviewed 4th quarter Warner fumble was actually a fumble. I still think it's a fumble. I thought the ball was knocked loose on the pull back, and his arm was in the forward throwing motion without the ball. [/QUOTE]

This. I don't get why people are questioning this. Looked fumble lived and in replay.

[quote name='dafoomie']They didn't call the celebration after the TD either (shaking the football into his hand like a ketchup bottle, which is using the ball as a prop), would've given Arizona 15 yards on the kickoff on their final drive.[/quote]

Ketchup bottle? What the hell is wrong with you?

It was chalk, he was shaking the football like a bottle of chalk and then he threw it in the air kinda like this guy...and when I say kinda I mean exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiQKxja79M

I actually thought it was a decent celebration. Ketchup, Ketchup man? Where have we went wrong with you? :whistle2:#

I was pulling for the Cards (really wanted to see Warner cap off a Hall of Fame career), but to me, they played like the younger, inexperienced team tonight. Most of the penalties were legit. The late hit on Ben was really close, and I agree with Madden saying that when Ben is scrambling around, you never know when the play is going to end. It wasn't a blatantly late hit, and it wasn't malicious (unlike Harrison on Francisco...that shit was ghetto).

Other than that, I thought the Cards dug their own grave. The pick at the end of the first half was devastating. I'd say Warner "blew it" there, but really, the Steelers just made the right call and had him fooled. It happens. I will say they should have been able to tackle Harrison before he ran 100 yards though. But clearly, fate wasn't on Arizona's side because even when Fitzgerald caught up with him to make the tackle, he pulled him down ontop of himself...thus allowing the extra couple yards into the endzone.

It really says something about the Cardinals that they were able to mount a comeback after that though. I still can't believe that when they were down 20-7, their defense was able to hold and stop Pittsburgh on some really crucial drives. Then, after they come all the way back, and take a 23-20 lead...the D falls apart (and down) and can't come up with a stop.

I really thought they finally had Ben rattled with all the blitzes and different packages they were sending, but Ben somehow managed to pull it off. The 3rd and long from inside their own 10 was insane. I do think the last play should have been reviewed, just for the sake of continuity and fair play. However, it could only be overturned if there is conclusive evidence showing that the wrong call was made.

And personally, I don't think they would have found enough reason to overturn it. Warner's arm was definitely on the verge of heaving the ball...but at which point the ball popped out is debatable. It probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but I still think reviewing it would have been the right thing to do. It's not like it would have "spoiled the celebration" because Pittsburgh still had to take a knee anyway.

Ultimately, Arizona definitely COULD have won this game, but they just came up short. It really makes me wonder what Warner's plans are for next year...especially with Leinart STILL waiting in the wings. It could really turn into a Favre/Rodgers situation.

what an amazing game.. I knew it would be close..closer than the spread.. I wish I was in the country to place the bet.. I'll watch it all tonight after work...I literally saw the 2nd qtr and the last 5 mins..

Figured I'd chime in. Kinda eerie watching Warner lead another comeback that falls short. Even though he lost I think he cemented his chances at the HOF a little. That Steelers defense is rough and he did the best he could with the scraps they gave him. Big Ben had a great game but to me it just washes away the stink from his last Super Bowl. I think he needs one more ring to seriously enter HOF talks.

I thought the roughing the passer call in the third quarter was crap especially considering how long he extends plays that defender would have risked blowing out his knee putting on the brakes so quick. On the flip side the holding call in the end zone was kind of questionable looks like the guy tripped over him as he ran him over.

Holmes was a good pick for MVP he had the majority of the Steelers big plays

As far as this being the most exciting Super Bowl I disagree. It didn't get good until the last quarter and the lead only changed hands twice. In comparison the Patriots and Panthers spent the whole second half swapping the lead in their Super Bowl. I'd put this one in the lower part of the top 5.

Oh and I give it up to Al Michaels who made fun of the idiot secondary player who said his college was swagging, by saying he had no swag when he made a bone headed error. I'm so sick of players doing this.Take some some pride in your school and stop using that space for self promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back