2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Browns. Here's to hoping they pick something up in the later rounds (not drafting until the 4th, with one pick in each of the final four rounds).

[quote name='DJSteel']here's to Derek Andersen screwing up this season..[/QUOTE]
You take that back, you yellow-flag wavin' Commie. ;)

[quote name='DJSteel']heh.. here is to the tough year ahead.. our schedules are brutal...[/QUOTE]

Maybe Al Bundy can save the Steelers with him getting 4 touchdowns in 1 game. :lol:

[quote name='Demolition Man']Maybe Al Bundy can save the Steelers with him getting 4 touchdowns in 1 game. :lol:[/quote]

maybe the Pats can hire Spielberg to do more dramatic taping of the opposing team's signals..lol

Major news: Matt Walsh and Roger Goodell will meet on May 13th and Walsh will give his tell-all about Spygate. Source

Minor news: The Bears re-sign Rashied Davis to a three year contract.
Source

[quote name='DomLando']Looks like the Bengals are not going to budge. They declined a trade with Washington (who offered a first round pick, the 21st pick, and a 3rd round pick in 2009 which depending on how Chad and the team did could have turned into a first round pick), and told Dallas and Philly they are not trading Chad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557[/quote]

What do the Bengals expect to get out of this situation? Seriously?

Chad's not going to show for training camp and he's only gonna play to get the check. He's not gonna change his mind.

[quote name='smiggity']I follow the Lions religiously and have heard not a peep about us trading up for Matt Ryan..We just drafted Drew Stanton with the ?34th? ( i think, may have been pick 40) last year.[/quote]

Do you listen to 97.1 the ticket? They have all the inside info.

They announced it yesterday. Peter King said so in a column he wrote.

No shit. I stand corrected. 97.1 is the whip but WTF happened to Parker and the Man!?!?! Im up at school in Saginaw for half the year so my 97.1 time is limited. But if it came from them, Especially Peter King, then I believe it. Just cannot see it happening though.

It most likely wont because its suppose to be a smoke screen.

But hell who knows with the damn Lions. You dont think they would get yet another QB....we didnt think they would get yet another WR and they did that.

There are so many holes in the Lions......everything.

I wish they would just pick something and start building instead of this scatter gun approach.

So I take it you don't know what happened to Parker & The Man? I know for sure they aren't in their normal time slot anymore..But are they still on 97.1 or what? That was absolutely my favorite sports talk show in the D.

[quote name='smiggity']So I take it you don't know what happened to Parker & The Man? I know for sure they aren't in their normal time slot anymore..But are they still on 97.1 or what? That was absolutely my favorite sports talk show in the D.[/quote]

Oh whoops I forgot to actually answer that.

Parker and the Man got canceled a really long time ago. What happened was there was 2 sports shows that came on right after each other....the station figured they didnt need 2 sports shows in a row so they canceled parker and the man and extended sporting news radio.

Months after that announced they were going to a new format called The Ticket which made them an all sports station....merging with the AM 1270 shows.

That canceled every single show on 97.1 which was a talk station. So Motor city mid days (which is now motor city morning from 6-10 and the only non sport show that airs on the channel)

So now its alot of sports on all day. BUT I do like the new format....Valenti and Foster is way better than Parker and the man was (even though I really liked that show also)

Hope that answers your question.

[quote name='primetime']What do the Bengals expect to get out of this situation? Seriously?

Chad's not going to show for training camp and he's only gonna play to get the check. He's not gonna change his mind.[/QUOTE]

I would love for my Chargers to pick up Chad Johnson. Just a pipe dream...

I heard Pacman Jones was just traded to Dallas (sorry can't find a link). I wonder if he'll actually be reinstated when he applies. My guess is probably not.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Oh whoops I forgot to actually answer that.

Parker and the Man got canceled a really long time ago. What happened was there was 2 sports shows that came on right after each other....the station figured they didnt need 2 sports shows in a row so they canceled parker and the man and extended sporting news radio.

Months after that announced they were going to a new format called The Ticket which made them an all sports station....merging with the AM 1270 shows.

That canceled every single show on 97.1 which was a talk station. So Motor city mid days (which is now motor city morning from 6-10 and the only non sport show that airs on the channel)

So now its alot of sports on all day. BUT I do like the new format....Valenti and Foster is way better than Parker and the man was (even though I really liked that show also)

Hope that answers your question.[/quote]

Yeah thanks bro. When I went home for winter break I noticed they switched over to sporting news radio. Nice that 97.1 is all sports all the time, but I feel it lost a bunch of the local flair it had before. I cant believe they would outright cancel Parker and The Man. That was one of their most successful shows. On another note, you see that Drew from Drew and Mike in the morning is officially done? Looks like he may jump on the satellite radio bandwagon. It is a sad day for Detroit talk radio without P&M and Drew and Mike...Things are changin'

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I heard Pacman Jones was just traded to Dallas (sorry can't find a link). I wonder if he'll actually be reinstated when he applies. My guess is probably not.[/QUOTE]

The rights to Pacman Jones will be traded to the Dallas Cowboys for a 4th round pick in this years draft. If he is reinstated this year, Dallas will also give up a 6th round pick in next years draft as well.

Source

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that he is (potentially) getting yet another chance. My feelings are if you fuck up once you should get one last shot at the NFL and after that you're out (...in Vick's case no f'ing way on a second chance).

I'm all for them getting 15 chances in society as long as they pay for the crime. But you mess up and your shot at 'the good life' is gone, fuck you, get out and go get a factory job like everyone else.

[quote name='Mattte']Does anyone else find it ridiculous that he is (potentially) getting yet another chance. My feelings are if you fuck up once you should get one last shot at the NFL and after that you're out (...in Vick's case no f'ing way on a second chance).

I'm all for them getting 15 chances in society as long as they pay for the crime. But you mess up and your shot at 'the good life' is gone, fuck you, get out and go get a factory job like everyone else.[/quote]

I'm fine with him being restated, but I'm usually more liberal that way. Also have no problem if Vick can come back after he does his time.

[quote name='js1']I would love for my Chargers to pick up Chad Johnson. Just a pipe dream...[/quote]

Well the Bengals are probably thinking... Wait, did I just put "Bengals" and "thinking" together in the same sentence? :)

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']The rights to Pacman Jones will be traded to the Dallas Cowboys for a 4th round pick in this years draft. If he is reinstated this year, Dallas will also give up a 6th round pick in next years draft as well.

Source[/QUOTE]

I think this is a stupid move by Dallas. Do they really need another guy like this on the team? Pacman has obviously not learned anything and is a complete idiot.

[quote name='DomLando']I think this is a stupid move by Dallas. Do they really need another guy like this on the team? Pacman has obviously not learned anything and is a complete idiot.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be little risk for Dallas, if I read that report correctly it looks like it will cost Dallas a 4th round pick this year and if he gets reinstated and plays this year a 6th round pick next year. However if he doesn't get reinstated or does something to get him kicked out of the league again this year then the Titans send Dallas a 4th round pick next year so it would be a wash.

[quote name='DomLando']I think this is a stupid move by Dallas. Do they really need another guy like this on the team? Pacman has obviously not learned anything and is a complete idiot.[/quote]

I agree, although Terrell seems to have relaxed in the past season...except for this picture that surfaced:

big2.jpg

There's no actual word for Roger Goodell that Jones will be reinstated. He did however say something to the extent of an end of a suspension doesn't mean an automatic reinstatement, especially since Jones has said he won't be staying out of strip clubs.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I heard Pacman Jones was just traded to Dallas (sorry can't find a link). I wonder if he'll actually be reinstated when he applies. My guess is probably not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not sure what the 'boys are thinking on this one - they already have a prima dona in the locker room with TO, who has to be due a meltdown this year he has had two relatively drama free years.

[quote name='jimbodan']Seems to be little risk for Dallas, if I read that report correctly it looks like it will cost Dallas a 4th round pick this year and if he gets reinstated and plays this year a 6th round pick next year. However if he doesn't get reinstated or does something to get him kicked out of the league again this year then the Titans send Dallas a 4th round pick next year so it would be a wash.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying on paper it is a bad decision. Of course the Titans are basically giving a way a 6th pick in the draft who has a ton of talent for garbage. But with T.O. and Tank Johnson in the locker room does that team really need another player like this?

[quote name='DomLando']I am not saying on paper it is a bad decision. Of course the Titans are basically giving a way a 6th pick in the draft who has a ton of talent for garbage. But with T.O. and Tank Johnson in the locker room does that team really need another player like this?[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but this is the way I figure it: Tank doesn't seem like he is a malcontent at all, he just seems like a thug off the field. I don't think he does much harm at all in the locker room. T.O usually keeps his nose clean from a legal stand point but is definitely a head case in the locker room. I see Pac-Man as more like Tank then T.O. I think if Pac-Man causes any problems (and it is highly likely that he will) they will be off the field not in the locker room and ss long as Dallas protects themselves from any more possible Pac-Man suspensions I don't think they really have much to lose.

kffl.com

Texans | Team may show interest in Alexander
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:03:44 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Houston Texans may show interest in free-agent RB Shaun Alexander (Seahawks) depending on how the 2008 NFL Draft plays out.

I'm about to :puke:

[quote name='DJSteel']despite what Seattle thinks.. I think he has some years left... we'll see though[/QUOTE]

The last two years though he has been horrible. He had a 3.6 average in 06 and a 3.5 average per rush in 07. That's down from a 5.1 in 05. Yeah he has been through numerous injuries but he is now 30 years old. In the NFL now, your pretty much past your prime as a RB when you hit 30. He might still have some years left if he goes to a team with another guy that he can split carries with like Taylor in Jacksonville. But that's the only way I see him succeeding anymore. He will not be able to carry the load for any team.

[quote name='DJSteel']maybe the Pats can hire Spielberg to do more dramatic taping of the opposing team's signals..lol[/QUOTE]

Can Spielberg CGI in some dinosaurs on the field? ;)

There is NO madden curse. Sure, Vince Young got injured a couple times during the season, but nothing major enough to stopp him from playing. Besides, what do you expect when you play one of the roughest sports in the world? Everyone gets injuries in the NFL.

As for Favre on the cover, i dont really think it should be him if he isn't even going to be in the game. He's one of my favorite players ever, but i think the Madden cover should focus on up and coming athletes in the league instead of past players.

[quote name='primetime']Give AP the cover.[/quote]

thats what i was thinking. Or maybe even Cromartie.

I know LT turned it down, so i doubt he will want to be on it this year.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Hell no. He don't need no Madden Curse.[/quote]

There is NO Madden Curse. The next person (if it isn't Favre) to be on the cover will NOT have a major injury. You can quote me on that.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']There is NO Madden Curse.[/QUOTE]

So explain to me how Daunte Culpepper ended up injured after being on the cover of Madden?

[quote name='Demolition Man']So explain to me how Daunte Culpepper ended up injured after being on the cover of Madden?[/quote]

Coincidence.

How do you explain nothing happening to Vince Young if you believe in the curse?

[quote name='becuzimbrown']i thought the curse was that the person gets injured?[/QUOTE]

I've always thought the curse was someone having an horrible season after being on the cover of Madden.

To be honest, I don't like Farve. I respect him as a great player, but I just don't like him. This makes it harder for me to shell $60 for updated rosters and a few gameplay tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back