2008 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Saints had a very good draft, with the major part of that not being able to acquire Shockey.

I think Washington may have the best offense in the league in five years if all their picks work out. That's one hell of a receiving corps they've got. Plenty of room to trade one or two vets as well for line help.

Atlanta? B-. Got the guy they had to get, paid a bit too much for a OT, and never addressed the D-line. But solid WR, RB, QB and CB picks.

Pretty happy with Dallas' draft. I really like what Felix Jones can bring to the team and I think he is the perfect complement to Marion Barber. As long as Barber is in our long term plans I'm perfectly ok with passing on Mendenhall. Jenkins was another good pick for us and provides us a ton of depth at CB if Pacman plays and a nice insurance policy if he doesn't. Bennett and Choice both fill needs since we got rid of Fasano and need an every down type of RB in case Barber gets hurt. We also stockpiled some picks for next year in order to move up to grab someone if the opportunity presents itself. My only complaint was not trading for another second round pick to grab one of the WR's that fell, but it looks like Dallas really didn't like any of them and wants to wait until next year's draft to find a WR.

[quote name='jimbodan']Pretty happy with Dallas' draft. I really like what Felix Jones can bring to the team and I think he is the perfect complement to Marion Barber. As long as Barber is in our long term plans I'm perfectly ok with passing on Mendenhall. Jenkins was another good pick for us and provides us a ton of depth at CB if Pacman plays and a nice insurance policy if he doesn't. Bennett and Choice both fill needs since we got rid of Fasano and need an every down type of RB in case Barber gets hurt. We also stockpiled some picks for next year in order to move up to grab someone if the opportunity presents itself. My only complaint was not trading for another second round pick to grab one of the WR's that fell, but it looks like Dallas really didn't like any of them and wants to wait until next year's draft to find a WR.[/quote]

Bennet was a great pick, this guy has raw talent.

Ain't high on Gholston, this guy just seems like a Combine-Hype machine.

Hated the 49ers draft, we need a pass rusher, so we draft a NT. Genius, NoWin.

According to a Fox Sports analyst, the Bears signed Caleb Hanie of Colorado State and also Nick Hill of Southern Illinois on Monday.

I'm going to be very interested in Nick Hill. The Salukis really should have beaten Delaware and Joe Flacco. Plus, if history repeats itself, the market for undrafted QBs from Illinois is pretty good.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']According to a Fox Sports analyst, the Bears signed Caleb Hanie of Colorado State and also Nick Hill of Southern Illinois on Monday.

I'm going to be very interested in Nick Hill. The Salukis really should have beaten Delaware and Joe Flacco. Plus, if history repeats itself, the market for undrafted QBs from Illinois is pretty good.[/quote]

That would be awesome if one of them would emerge as a starter.

You just never know. You can spend a first round pick and a lot of cash for a bust like Ryan Leaf or Cade McNown or you can find undrafted gems like Romo.

I hope it doesn't happen but my gut feeling is that the Bears will finish 3rd in the North this year just ahead of the Lions. The Vikings are improved and if Rodgers can do an average job in GB I think they will take the division.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Bennet was a great pick, this guy has raw talent.

Ain't high on Gholston, this guy just seems like a Combine-Hype machine.

Hated the 49ers draft, we need a pass rusher, so we draft a NT. Genius, NoWin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Niners Draft was horrible. No reason to pick a DT first.

[quote name='DomLando']Yeah the Niners Draft was horrible. No reason to pick a DT first.[/quote]

Add to the fact we signed Sopoaga to bank this summer.

Anybody else shocked about the Marvin Harrison news? I couldn't believe it when I heard it. He didn't seem like the type who would shoot a guy or anything. I really hope he had nothing to do with it...

Cedric Benson was pepper sprayed by police after being intoxicated while boating.
Source

Hey Chitown... think this can be the start of enough reason for the Bears to can this guy?

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Cedric Benson was pepper sprayed by police after being intoxicated while boating.
Source

Hey Chitown... think this can be the start of enough reason for the Bears to can this guy?[/quote]

LOL, I was just watching CNN and I saw this run across the news ticker at the bottom of the screen. You'd think a guy that was already on thin ice as it is would be on his best behavior. I hope they cut his sorry ass soon. Another fantastic RB pick for the Bears. He joins such gems as Rashaan Salaam, Curits Enis, and the "A" Train Anthony Thomas (to his credit he was at least decent for one year).

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Another Bear is cut. Adios Adam Archuleta (nice alliteration huh?)![/quote]

He was an excellent player for St. Louis a few years back and I'm sure that's why Lovie wanted him but he was terrible for us last year.

[quote name='DJSteel']i couldn't figure out why the Bears signed him when he only had 1-2 good years...[/quote]

I think they were desperate to find a backup for Mike Brown. He's a stud at safety but can never stay healthy.

So to my chi-towners....is rex pretty much settled on for next year?

also i read the bears were in talks with hester about contract extension....any word?

Archuleta used to be a real hard hitting safety, but I think he went gun-shy after a few injuries (concussions right?). I would have thought playing for Smith again would have encouraged him to go out and do some better work, oh well.

As far as the quarterback situation, the two players the Bears have with any NFL experience are Grossman and Orton. However, they did sign two undrafted quarterbacks in Colorado State's Caleb Hanie and Southern Illinois' Nick Hill. Watch for Hill, I think he has just as much potential as Joe Flacco.

As of right now Rex has to be the guy because they just don't have anything else. I keep hoping Orton will come around. He had some really good years at Purdue. I'm a huge Bears fan living in KC (unless it has to do with the Chiefs I don't hear about it) so I'd also like to know if there's been any news on Hester. Also what's the latest on Urlacher? Last I heard he was threatening to hold out because he wants a new contract. I don't know where he gets off demanding more money when he was injured most of last year and there's been talk of him having an arthritic back.

[quote name='Chitown021']As of right now Rex has to be the guy because they just don't have anything else. I keep hoping Orton will come around. He had some really good years at Purdue. I'm a huge Bears fan living in KC (unless it has to do with the Chiefs I don't hear about it) so I'd also like to know if there's been any news on Hester. Also what's the latest on Urlacher? Last I heard he was threatening to hold out because he wants a new contract. I don't know where he gets off demanding more money when he was injured most of last year and there's been talk of him having an arthritic back.[/QUOTE]

Trade us falcons Chris Williams. Thanks in advance.

I'm so jacked... Matt Walsh has tapes of the 2001 AFC Championship game... the Steelers were winning that game..and the NFL says they already knew and they aren't going to do anything else about it.. Taping during the season..ok.. take away a draft pick..tape during the playoffs?? They should get a harsher penalty...

[quote name='DJSteel']I'm so jacked... Matt Walsh has tapes of the 2001 AFC Championship game... the Steelers were winning that game..and the NFL says they already knew and they aren't going to do anything else about it.. Taping during the season..ok.. take away a draft pick..tape during the playoffs?? They should get a harsher penalty...[/QUOTE]

How bout this for a harsher penalty... send Belichick to coach the Raiders for a year as punishment... :lol:

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Anyone else see Vernon Davis getting into that fight at mini-camp?[/QUOTE]

Who did he fight with?

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']How bout this for a harsher penalty... send Belichick to coach the Raiders for a year as punishment... :lol:[/quote]

lol..

It seems to me that the Police used unnecessary force/aggression in the Benson case. He had the boat for 1 year and had been stopped 5 times by the police...

[quote name='DJSteel']I'm so jacked... Matt Walsh has tapes of the 2001 AFC Championship game... the Steelers were winning that game..and the NFL says they already knew and they aren't going to do anything else about it.. Taping during the season..ok.. take away a draft pick..tape during the playoffs?? They should get a harsher penalty...[/QUOTE]
I'm sure Kordell Stewart's 3 picks didn't have anything to do with it.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm sure Kordell Stewart's 3 picks didn't have anything to do with it.[/quote]

say what you will... It is a competitive edge that may or may not have made a difference in the Pats even making the playoffs that year.

Face it Pats fans.. The idea of the Patriots being a modern day dynasty is over..

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm sure Kordell Stewart's 3 picks didn't have anything to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, they did. But if you look at the pattern of playoff wins over opponents, the second half the Patriots key on some plays like they knew they were coming. You can put a lot of that on coaching and making second-half adjustments, but you cannot deny having an inside track into someone's playbook isn't going to influence the course of a game.

Patriots are flat out cheaters, and Bill Bellichick is a snakey bastard...Sorry Pats fans, had to get that off my chest..Feel free to smack the Lions around a bit.

[quote name='smiggity']Patriots are flat out cheaters, and Bill Bellichick is a snakey bastard...Sorry Pats fans, had to get that off my chest..Feel free to smack the Lions around a bit.[/quote]

I was rolling when they did that recent South Park where Cartman was teaching the kids to be cheaters like Bellicock.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Oh, they did. But if you look at the pattern of playoff wins over opponents, the second half the Patriots key on some plays like they knew they were coming. You can put a lot of that on coaching and making second-half adjustments, but you cannot deny having an inside track into someone's playbook isn't going to influence the course of a game.[/quote]

actually the picks didn't make much a difference.. the Pats blocked a field goal and ran it back, then ran a punt in for a touchdown after a bad call and a repunt.. but when Bledsoe came in after not playing for Months and didn't even struggle to drive the ball.. I was a bit suspicious

[quote name='DomLando']Who did he fight with?[/quote]

Ah I can't remember. I just saw it on the NFL Network. Things go heated quick and he almost kicked the guy after knocking him down. He then ripped of the guy's helmet and threw it.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Ah I can't remember. I just saw it on the NFL Network. Things go heated quick and he almost kicked the guy after knocking him down. He then ripped of the guy's helmet and threw it.[/quote]

Was this footage from last year? B/c he was scrapping similar to that in TC last year

[quote name='smiggity']Was this footage from last year? B/c he was scrapping similar to that in TC last year[/quote]

I believe it was during last week's mini-camps, but there's a chance it's from last August's incident. I can't seem to find any articles on it.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found it:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/

Vernon fights. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Vernon Davis, who was good for at least one brawl every practice last year, got into a scrape with linebacker Parys Haralson. Davis ripped off Haralson's helmet and hurled it onto the adjacent practice field. He was pulled away and spent the next five minutes cooling off alongside the team's chaplain. Nolan reiterated that he doesn't mind fighting but that he won't tolerate dumb penalties in games. He said that Haralson started the fight but that Davis would have been the one flagged if it was a game situation. ***afternoon update*** there was another ruckus during the afternoon practice between Joe Staley and defensive lineman Walter Curry.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I believe it was during last week's mini-camps, but there's a chance it's from last August's incident. I can't seem to find any articles on it.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found it:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/

Vernon fights. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Vernon Davis, who was good for at least one brawl every practice last year, got into a scrape with linebacker Parys Haralson. Davis ripped off Haralson's helmet and hurled it onto the adjacent practice field. He was pulled away and spent the next five minutes cooling off alongside the team's chaplain. Nolan reiterated that he doesn't mind fighting but that he won't tolerate dumb penalties in games. He said that Haralson started the fight but that Davis would have been the one flagged if it was a game situation. ***afternoon update*** there was another ruckus during the afternoon practice between Joe Staley and defensive lineman Walter Curry.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Niners can transfer that onto the opposing team.

[quote name='DJSteel']actually the picks didn't make much a difference.. the Pats blocked a field goal and ran it back, then ran a punt in for a touchdown after a bad call and a repunt.. but when Bledsoe came in after not playing for Months and didn't even struggle to drive the ball.. I was a bit suspicious[/QUOTE]

So you were suspicious when this happened? So you thought to yourself when Bledsoe was in, "Hm, maybe the Pats are filming our defensive signals."

[quote name='DomLando']So you were suspicious when this happened? So you thought to yourself when Bledsoe was in, "Hm, maybe the Pats are filming our defensive signals."[/quote]

Remember.. Bledsoe had been sitting the bench most of the year.. he came out for 5-6 games because of an injury. When Brady came in, he did so well he became the starting QB. Bledsoe hadn't played in a long time and stepped in and drove the Pats right down the field.. that is what I'm suspicious of...

[quote name='DJSteel']it is a dumb idea, but the big owners i.e. Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, etc want to spend as much as possible to win a championship.. this will destroy football the same way it's destroying baseball..[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. If this happens it would be devastating for certain teams. I doubt we will see it go that far though. Hopefully before it gets to that, they come to an agreement.

[quote name='DomLando']I agree totally. If this happens it would be devastating for certain teams. I doubt we will see it go that far though. Hopefully before it gets to that, they come to an agreement.[/quote]

I was just watching the press conference with Goodell. He obviously fully intends to get a salary cap back on. And apparently they want to shorten the amount of pre-season games and increase the regular season by 1 game.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']I was just watching the press conference with Goodell. He obviously fully intends to get a salary cap back on. And apparently they want to shorten the amount of pre-season games and increase the regular season by 1 game.[/quote] Yes, please.

[quote name='DJSteel']the nfl needs a salary cap... so does baseball..eventually there will just be 8-10 teams left the way salaries are[/QUOTE]

I doubt that. There is no trend showing there would be a need to decrease teams. Smaller market teams have proved they can win in baseball. And I think most if not all the NFL teams make really good money even with the salaries we see today.

[quote name='DomLando']I doubt that. There is no trend showing there would be a need to decrease teams. Smaller market teams have proved they can win in baseball. And I think most if not all the NFL teams make really good money even with the salaries we see today.[/quote]

Thing is for baseball, they still have the baseball fans from the 50's - 60's keeping them going...If you were living in Pittsburgh, you wouldn't be saying the same thing... eventually, slowly teams will wither away until you just have the major markets left.. in 10 years, I don't think the Pirates will be around.. they don't have the revenue available to be competitive now, they'll most likely die out in ten years.. it is extremely sad and I hope the NFL doesn't go this route..

NFL doesn't have that.. their league thrives on the salary cap and how every year new teams make the playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back