2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm disappointed in Rashard Lewis. He claims the banned substance was in some over-the-counter drugs he received without his knowing, but who knows.

[quote name='Moxio']Wow, I'm disappointed in Rashard Lewis. He claims the banned substance was in some over-the-counter drugs he received without his knowing, but who knows.[/QUOTE]

He's probably telling the truth. As skinny as he is for his height, it's hard to believe he'd be knowingly taking a testosterone boosting substance.

Personally I don't care if he did know. If he's not the player he is now without it than the Magic paid a maximum contract for the player he is with it, and thus all things are balanced.

[quote name='dmaul1114']http://www.nba.com/magic/news/sign_williams_081909.html

Magic picked up Jason Williams. I like it. If he can stay healthy it gives them another veteran back up PG (along with Anthony Johnson) to have behind Jameer Nelson.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Pretty excited for him being the backup.

On another note, I watched Shaq Vs the other night. I found it really funny for two reasons... 1) he lost a game of Horse to Ben and 2) on his first touchdown he body bumped his wide receiver and the dude fell hard to the ground. Besides that, the show could have easily been made into a 30 minutes program.

Looking forward to the season. The Magic have looked good in the pre-season, Carter seems to be fitting in well. Shouldn't be hard to ride out Lewis' 10 game suspension with all the talent and depth they have.

If Griffin didn't do that dunk on Friday, he'll be playing tonight. But no, a stunt like that just put another curse into the doom Clippers Franchise.

God, someone should buy this team and move it to Anaheim or Seattle.

Going to the Phoenix vs Warriors game on Friday.

Curry/Ellis/S-Jax/Turiaf/AB....

With Randolph and Morrow off the bench....battle for the 8th seed.

Neither team had their A game tonight, too early in the season for a matchup like this. Let them each play 4 or 5 creampuffs to get warmed up first.

Like they have for years, the Cavs started and finished strong. That certainly wasn't enough for the Celtics tonight.

Kuester packed the Cleveland offense from last year with him when he left for Detroit. Now the team's lost without LeBron in the game.

Rasheed looked great, huge upgrade from last year. They've actually got a bench now, plus him and KG on the floor at the same time at the end of games causes all kinds of matchup problems.

Lakers won 99-92 over the Clippers. Kobe was his usual awesome self, and Bynum and Odom both killed out there. I'm glad basketball is back.

I personally thought that Shaq would have been more effective both offensively and defensively. However, I still have the image of the dominant center I used to watch every other day in LA. I don't think Shaq is going to make that big of difference in Cleveland; a difference yes, but not big enough for a ring. King James is still going to run the offense and invigorate the team single handed-ly. Shaq's used to be one of the best players in the league (save for his free throw shooting), but I think his ego makes his talk a bigger game than what he's capable of at his older age.

Missed the Lakers/Clippers game though. I didn't think the Clippers even had a chance of winning.. but I was surprised at how close the score was. I was imagining a blowout especially with the #1 draft pick sidelined. Clippers have a lot of talent.. but not enough, what's the word, chemistry to them. Really sad too because I've only watched Clippers games in person because those are the only tickets I can only afford. :lol:

The only reason I think the Shaq trade will work is because he was brought in to counter Dwight Howard. The problem is that I think the Magic have ruined their chemistry by letting Turkoglu, Rafer Alston and Courtney Lee go and bringing Vince Carter in so I don't think they even need Shaq. I don't think the Magic will get past the 2nd round regardless of who they play.

That leaves Boston as their only real threat and I think Boston might be just a bit to old overall to hang with the Cavs.

I was worried about the Magic's chemistry.

But they looked fantastic in the pre-season. Carter seemed to fit in well, had good games as did several other players. And he gives them something they sorely needed--a perimeter player capable of creating their own shot. They lost some close games late by not having someone who could create their own shot and having to rely on hitting contested long-range shots, or chancing Howard at the line late in the game.

So I think Carter will be an up grade of Turkoglu there. Nelson was the key running the pick and roll with Howard before he got hurt and Turkoglu really took that role over.

Alston is a non-issue with Nelson back, they're fine at back up PG with Jason Williams and Anthony Johnson. I'd have liked to have kept Lee, as I think he had a lot of potential, but he was a rookie and though he played a lot he wasn't a huge part of the team chemistry etc. yet.

If key players stay healthy, the Magic should be better than last year IMO. Whether it's better to get by the Celtics with Wallace and a healthy KG, or the Lakers etc. is another matter.

Shaq was a complete liability for the Cavs with Garnett and Wallace on the floor in the last 2 minutes of the game. Even offensively he didn't do anything but slow them down. He doesn't help you late in games.

Not sure why they'd put Ilgauskas on Wallace either when he's shooting 3's more than anything else.

Problem is Shaq can't match up with Howard. His fatass flopped in their last match-up....he's honestly no better than Big Z right now.

Cavs are sinking fast....thought it'd never happen but LeBron's a goner. His supporting cast is putrid.

JinSanity's idiotic idea of the year:

New Orleans and Phoenix don't make playoffs.

Thunder and Warriors sneak in for the 7th/8th seed.

The magic won't have chemistry you say? They absolutely killed the 76er's other than some garbage time points by the 76'ers. And this was with out Rashard Lewis.

Turk was overrrated. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have him but he broke down last year. Rafer Alston? Ehhh whatever. We only needed him because Jameer got hurt. He's back and should be even better than last year. Courtney Lee will be missed but I think our bench is much deeper so we won't be effected that much.

Yeah, the Magic have a ton of depth this year. 6 players in double digits tonight.

Howard 21 (and 15 boards)
Anderson 16
Carter 15
Williams 15
Pietrus 13
Redick 10

Then Gortat and Bass scored 8 a piece, and 7 apiece for Nelson and Barnes.

Lots of weapons, plus one more huge one when Lewis' suspension is over.

The Cavs scare me because I still think they're going to make a move before the deadline. I could see the Cavs moving Big Z and Daniel Gibson or Delonte West to the Bucks for Michael Redd (assuming he comes back in the same fashion from injuries and stays healthy). I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Brown fired midseason either.

The Bulls are now on pace to go 82-0. Clearly, the return of Jannero Pargo will put them over the top. ;)

Great game tonight, though, against a Spurs team whose recent acquisitions put them back in the uppermost tier of the league.

Surprised the Bulls were able to beat the Spurs last night. I'm not expecting a whole lot from them this year but in the East they should be able to get into the playoffs.

[quote name='cgarb84']Surprised the Bulls were able to beat the Spurs last night. I'm not expecting a whole lot from them this year but in the East they should be able to get into the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Well the Bulls are a better team than they were last year, and you need to remember after they got Salmons and Miller, the Bulls went 18-11 to finish the season off.

Now the Bulls will make it into the playoffs, and if the Bulls can get homecourt, they have a great shot of making it far into the postseason.

future NBA Logos

pg2_nbalogosA3_576.jpg
pg2_nbalogosB3_576.jpg

Anyone watch the Grizzlies game from Weds? I think this will be the most inconsistent team in the NBA, but Marc Gasol will be the most consistent thing on it. Dude looks like the incredible hulk, he put in a ton of work in the off season and lost all that extra weight.

I know that the Timberwolves and Bobcats aren't the Celtics and Raptors, but the Cavs have looked much better these last two games.

I still think Shaq will help, but I never wanted him to start myself.

Can the magic just pay like $1,000,000 to not play Detroit anymore? Seriously why does this team suck so much ass when they go into Detroit? They were missing two starters and they are a piss poor team this year, while the Magic are one of the top 3 teams. Yet every time we play Detroit they shame us.

Suns are now 4-0 after defeating Miami tonight... they are looking pretty good so far; Dragic has improved quite a bit from last season, Frye is shooting better than expected, Nash and Hill are looking great as usual, although Amare isn't playing at 100 percent yet unfortunately.

Next couple of games are going to be tough to win, playing away against the Magic and Celtics.

Was at the Bulls game tonight and it was a very nice comeback which all started when they put Pargo in. He just has a spark the Bulls need coming off the bench and I'm sure glad hes back in a Bulls uniform.

[quote name='slickkill77']Can the magic just pay like $1,000,000 to not play Detroit anymore? Seriously why does this team suck so much ass when they go into Detroit? They were missing two starters and they are a piss poor team this year, while the Magic are one of the top 3 teams. Yet every time we play Detroit they shame us.[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing with the Grizzlies going to Arco Arena in Sacramento. I'm not saying the Grizz are anywhere near the Magic but some arenas just bring bad luck I guess. Even when the Grizz were the 46 plus win team of a few years ago, a bad Kings team would beat them in that arena. You would think outrebounding a team by 17 would almost guarantee a win... not the case in Arco.

[quote name='yukine']
Next couple of games are going to be tough to win, playing away against the Magic and Celtics.[/QUOTE]

Man, I wasn't joking. I was only able to catch the 4th quarter but it looks like the Suns were slaughtered by the Magic. Hopefully they can have some success against the Celtics, if they get spanked like last season then all that momentum goes right out the window.

Edit: Late, but I haven't had much time to post. That was one hell of a game against the C's, J-Rich was ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going to the game last night, my sister surprised me with very good tickets. It was cool to see the Hornets get blown out.

Suns at Lakers tonight, should be entertaining.

Edit: NO TACO FOR YOU!!! Lakers did a good job stopping the Suns from shooting tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back