2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs - Boston Wins!

So every game in the finals will be 8 PM eastern time. No afternoon games on the weekends. That's fine I guess. Anybody in the west upset with all games being fairly early for them?

[quote name='dafoomie']By the way, it was the best officiated game I've seen since the lockout.[/QUOTE]

It was nice to see that the refs played no role in the game. Hopefully the NHL will take notice of how compelling a game can be when the players are allowed to play.

Great game last night and while I would have liked to see a different outcome, the the Bruins were better all night.

Should be a great final.

[quote name='dafoomie']By the way, it was the best officiated game I've seen since the lockout.[/QUOTE]

Haha agreed, that's because there was like no penalties.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']So every game in the finals will be 8 PM eastern time. No afternoon games on the weekends. That's fine I guess. Anybody in the west upset with all games being fairly early for them?[/QUOTE]

nope. used to it.

Looks like the Winnipeg Jets is for real. Potential new owners of the Atlanta Thrashers are calling a press conference at 12pm Eastern in Winnipeg.

i read on TSN that the Thrashers were sold for $170m, including $60m relocation... so the team was only worth $110m? god damn. if i ever win one of those $300m+ mega millions lotteries first thing i do is buy me an NHL team.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i read on TSN that the Thrashers were sold for $170m, including $60m relocation... so the team was only worth $110m? god damn. if i ever win one of those $300m+ mega millions lotteries first thing i do is buy me an NHL team.[/QUOTE]

And those are the same owners who gave Joe Johnson a $120 million contract

[quote name='62t']And those are the same owners who gave Joe Johnson a $120 million contract[/QUOTE]

its too bad too. i hear a lot of fans on various sports new websites and forums saying that this is a perfect example of why hockey wont work in southern states.

but i think this is a perfect example of how much inept owners can affect a franchise. this team would have failed damn near anywhere with the (now) former owners.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i read on TSN that the Thrashers were sold for $170m, including $60m relocation... so the team was only worth $110m? god damn. if i ever win one of those $300m+ mega millions lotteries first thing i do is buy me an NHL team.[/QUOTE]
Thats with no building, no lease and a ton of debt though. You can get the team and the lease in Phoenix though for around $120m, and they'll subsidize your losses for 5 years. But you still have to pay Telemundo to air your games at midnight.

Is it wrong that I found this hilarious?

stanchions.jpg

[quote name='retro.elite']Winnipeg gets their NHL team[/QUOTE]

And the Red Wings will remain in the Western Conference unless there's a total realignment of sorts.

Penalties much? And can we get a gif of the Sedin dive for later. Nothing against Henrick but he went down like a deer after getting shot. CBC... making a HUGE deal about Thomas getting tripped because he was a few feet out of the crease haha. Sorry but if a goalie gets a leg to the heel it's not gonna be easy to keep your balance. That goes for any goaltender.

3rd period: Nice fluid game. Nucks deserved it with their effort in this period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest rated Game 1 since 99, and only 1 US market playing.

No suspension for Burrows, which I hope is a sign that they'll let it be taken care of on the ice without a suspension. Frontier justice is back in the NHL.

[quote name='dafoomie']Highest rated Game 1 since 99, and only 1 US market playing.

[/QUOTE]

This kind of blows my mind. Dallas vs. Buffalo? Why would these two draw such a big (relatively) crowd? Perhaps Belfour vs Hasek was a big draw. Thomas vs Luongo ain't too shabby either.

Game 2 starting soon. Once again I'll be staying up to catch it (2 AM for me). Hope the series won't be a sweep. I won't have tv access for a week starting monday and I want to see the final game of the season.

[quote name='DestroVega']Boston blew their load tonight[/QUOTE]
Yeah, all over Burrows's face.

If Vancouver wins Game 4 it will be because they were able to cheapshot Nathan Horton and only lose Aaron Rome as a result. He's in really bad shape, didn't know what city he's in, but somehow we're the bad guys... There has to be a way to punish a team when a scrub takes out a star on a dirty, illegal hit.

The 2 games in Vancouver were razor close so I don't know why people supporting that team act like they were blowouts. You think the Bruins are spent? Where has Ryan Kesler been? He's toast. All the Sedin's can do against Boston is dive.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's not a series until someone wins on the road.[/QUOTE]
I've heard this before and completely agree.

That was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while.
The 'Nucks short bench strategy made them look very tired by about 5 minutes into the 3rd.
The B's should have saved a couple of goals for the next game...

Definitely a dirty hit and with obvious intenet. He went high and knew the guy wasn't looking. On the other hand, it seemingly served to remind the rest of the B's that they were indeed in the finals and should probably start playing as a team.

The 'Nuck with the full shield actually seems to be a pretty classy player, immediately waving an apology when he fired the puck at the opposing coach's head.

I don't even care that Rome got suspended, he means nothing to the Canucks. Nathan Horton was Boston's best goal scorer. Everything about this works out great for Vancouver, they lose Rome and take out Horton, and they get the rest of the series called real tight by the refs so the Bruins can't play physical.

The NHL is responsible for this, they could've set the tone by suspending Burrows for a game but they let it spiral completely out of control. Now Horton has a major major concussion and Vancouver was allowed to disgrace the league on national TV.

So Coyotes trade negotiating rights of Ilya Bryzgalov to the Flyers, apparently his contract demands with the Coyotes "were off the charts" according to LeBrun's sources. Coyotes get 3rd round choice in 2012 draft, future considerations and forward Matt Clackson.

It's a damn shame, but not entirely unexpected. I'll miss Bryz as he was a huge part of the recent success of the Coyotes the past couple of years.

Bryzgalov will get that money from somebody, guaranteed. Phoenix will probably have to make a deal with somebody, Vokoun is out of their price range and everybody else sucks.

[quote name='dafoomie']Bryzgalov will get that money from somebody, guaranteed. Phoenix will probably have to make a deal with somebody, Vokoun is out of their price range and everybody else sucks.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, definitely... I knew Bryzgalov was due for a big payday and that it was a bit of a stretch for the Coyotes to re-sign him. I wish him luck, and the team that signs the huge contract he is seeking.

By the way, how much is Vokoun set to make? Coyotes have nearly $11m to spend. Apparently the Coyotes were offering Bryz $6m/year contract, it's rumored he wants an eight-to-ten year contract at $7m-$8m a year!? Flyers won't be able to afford him even.

Last edited by a moderator:
So does everyone think that Shanahan will do a better job than Campbell did? I sure hope so. This season was a freakin' joke in terms of suspensions and fines.

[quote name='yukine']Oh yeah, definitely... I knew Bryzgalov was due for a big payday and that it was a bit of a stretch for the Coyotes to re-sign him. I wish him luck, and the team that signs the huge contract he is seeking.

By the way, how much is Vokoun set to make? Coyotes have nearly $11m to spend. Apparently the Coyotes were offering Bryz $6m/year contract, it's rumored he wants an eight-to-ten year contract at $7m-$8m a year!? Flyers won't be able to afford him even.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fuck that shit.

I'd be fine if there was no cap, but for what Bryz is asking for, they can't afford him without shedding some weight.

[quote name='dafoomie'] Phoenix will probably have to make a deal with somebody, Vokoun is out of their price range and everybody else sucks.[/QUOTE]

Maybe... Nappy?

[quote name='shieryda']So does everyone think that Shanahan will do a better job than Campbell did? I sure hope so. This season was a freakin' joke in terms of suspensions and fines.[/QUOTE]

For sure. Shanny is a good guy with fresh ideas who's willing to listen. Just look at what he did with the all star game.

Now that was another ass whooping from Boston. They win next game, I bet Canada are gonna riot since the Stanley Cup drought may continue.

On a related note: I wish the NHL would do a 2-3-2 Stanley Cup Final Series. It can burn you out by flying one coast to the other for Games 5,6, and 7.

[quote name='yukine']Oh yeah, definitely... I knew Bryzgalov was due for a big payday and that it was a bit of a stretch for the Coyotes to re-sign him. I wish him luck, and the team that signs the huge contract he is seeking.

By the way, how much is Vokoun set to make? Coyotes have nearly $11m to spend. Apparently the Coyotes were offering Bryz $6m/year contract, it's rumored he wants an eight-to-ten year contract at $7m-$8m a year!? Flyers won't be able to afford him even.[/QUOTE]

Nittymaki for a 4th. ;)

[quote name='vlv723']On a related note: I wish the NHL would do a 2-3-2 Stanley Cup Final Series. It can burn you out by flying one coast to the other for Games 5,6, and 7.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean with the travel, but how would you maintain standings/seed advantage in terms of home ice?

So, what would be the best credit card to put the nearly $2000 on for a pair of tickets to Game 6? I spent the last of my cash going to every home game in the Conference Finals.

bread's done
Back