2013 MLB Discussion

Those other pitchers named have never come close to the levels of Mussina and Halladay, so there is plenty of fault comparing them to Halladay. Halladay is smart, and besides, it's spring training. It's kind of the point of spring training to pace yourself.

Teixeira revealed that he has a partially torn tendon sheath, not a strain. He could be done for the year and likely won't be back in the original 8 to 10 week time frame given by the club. Gonna be a long, long, long, long season for the Yankees, unless they can pull off a miracle move.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Teixeira revealed that he has a partially torn tendon sheath, not a strain. He could be done for the year and likely won't be back in the original 8 to 10 week time frame given by the club. Gonna be a long, long, long, long season for the Yankees, unless they can pull off a miracle move.[/QUOTE]

The decision of letting Chavez go looks terrible now. Hell, with very little options, maybe Cashman can workout a trade with Arizona since they signed Prado long-term.

It's just spring training. Surely. Mountains and molehills. Etc.

Puig is batting .521. lolwut

The Astros move to the AL has made me a sad panda. No more twice annual pilgrimage to see the NL West come to town, once to cheer the Dodgers and once to heckle Giants fans.

Puig is now 10 for his last 11 and is up to .547. I can't remember the last preseason tear quite this ridiculous. And it's not like he's done it in 20 ABs. He's above 50 (60?) now.

And still hasn't walked.

The Dodgers stadium renovation is expected to be finished Friday at a cost of $100m. I think they might be running out of things to spend money on.

My buddy is arguing that Puig is better fantasy draft pick than Brown in the 25th round. Puig, who played 14 games in A ball has more fantasy value than Brown, who will most likely be hitting on top of Phillies order.

[quote name='HornyPony']My buddy is arguing that Puig is better fantasy draft pick than Brown in the 25th round. Puig, who played 14 games in A ball has more fantasy value than Brown, who will most likely be hitting on top of Phillies order.[/QUOTE]
If you draft Puig, he's going to do what he's supposed to do: Double A and Triple A late in the season. No call up at all. If your buddy drafts him: Ethier will crash into the wall in the opener and Puig will go on to win RoY, MVP, and the Triple Crown.

His future is in your hands Pony. Proceed accordingly.

[quote name='speedracer']If you draft Puig, he's going to do what he's supposed to do: Double A and Triple A late in the season. No call up at all. If your buddy drafts him: Ethier will crash into the wall in the opener and Puig will go on to win RoY, MVP, and the Triple Crown.

His future is in your hands Pony. Proceed accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Not anymore, sadly. Last draft of the year and Brown was drafted in the 18th. I baited my buddy to use his 19th pick on Puig. Ended up snatching Saltalamacchia with my 25th round pick which is fucking amazing in my opinion.

Oh and Yankees are close to acquiring Wells. They will pay 4-8 mill of his contract for the next two years. Guess it's only a matter of time before Howard will be manning 1B with Zitto on the mound.

[quote name='Beatofficer']Vernon Wells is going to the Yankees it seems. I wonder how much money the Angels are having to pay in this deal.[/QUOTE]

How does that contract get traded twice? My mind is blown.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']How does that contract get traded twice? My mind is blown.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. For what it's worth though, he is having a nice spring so far...doubt its a sign that he'll earn his 24 mil this season but so far so good.

2/13 for Wells.

13 fucking million for two years of Vernon fucking Wells

with a .230/.279/.682 line in 77 games last season and 218/.248/.660 a year before.

Meanwhile, Martin at 2/17 was too expensive. Pathetic. This move has Levine and the brass all over it.

[quote name='HornyPony']2/13 for Wells.

13 fucking million for two years of Vernon fucking Wells

with a .230/.279/.682 line in 77 games last season and 218/.248/.660 a year before.

Meanwhile, Martin at 2/17 was too expensive. Pathetic. This move has Levine and the brass all over it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, it coulda been worse lol u got saved (assuming ur a Yanks fan) from paying 42 million over two years.

The Yankees are just stock piling the old guys. I can't believe they let Raul Ibanez get away. Your team is going to run into issues when 90% of it is almost as old as the manager and your star pitcher gets abused like a rented mule

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yep. I'm flying to Atlanta in June for Chipper's Braves HoF induction and jersey retirement.[/QUOTE]

Man I wish I could be there. It'll be a while before baseball sees another switch hitter as good as Chip.
Who's your pick for everyday 3B? Or do you say platoon?

With just a few days before opening day I'll make some meaningless predictions

- Ike Davis finishes season with a .270/ .375/ 525 line, hitting 42 HRs.

- Darvish and Moore have a very close race for Cy Young, Darvish wins.

- Due to injuries from Bautista, Encarnacion and Reyes, Blue Jays finish third and miss play offs.

- Royals will give Detroit a run for their money, but falter due to bad pitching , Hosmer breaks out with a .300/350/500 line, hitting 30 HR and stealing 20 bags.

- No Yankees pitcher wins above 13 games.

- Chin So Choo out produces Carlos Gonzalez

- Cano has a Bonds-esque light season, hitting .300/.420/750 and winning the MVP.

[quote name='roedaniel19']Man I wish I could be there. It'll be a while before baseball sees another switch hitter as good as Chip.
Who's your pick for everyday 3B? Or do you say platoon?[/QUOTE]

Francisco and Johnson are both having good springs, so right now it's a tossup. I like Johnson more, but I think a platoon is fine to start the season.

Did you want to know what will happen this season? How about the Marlins become one of the best teams in the league? Roy Halladay pitches for the Yanks? Ryan Braun changes his name? The Astros go on a 40-game winning streak? The Giants get no respect until the team is dissolved? It's twue, it's twue!

[quote name='HornyPony']With just a few days before opening day I'll make some meaningless predictions

- Ike Davis finishes season with a .270/ .375/ 525 line, hitting 42 HRs.
Davis will get injured so probably 30-35hr

Both produce too many walks. Won't happen. Verlander, Felix or Price again

- Due to injuries from Bautista, Encarnacion and Reyes, Blue Jays finish third and miss play offs.
Wouldn't shock me at all. Johnson and Morrow will probably be injured a few times too

- Royals will give Detroit a run for their money, but falter due to bad pitching , Hosmer breaks out with a .300/350/500 line, hitting 30 HR and stealing 20 bags.
He'll hit more like .270/330/470...20 hr and 15 steals. I think the Al Central is mediocre again

- No Yankees pitcher wins above 13 games.
Depends if Sabathia gets hurt but he'll probably win 15

- Chin So Choo out produces Carlos Gonzalez
No way...Even with injury Cargo will out produce Choo.

- Cano has a Bonds-esque light season, hitting .300/.420/750 and winning the MVP.
.750 slg pct? Not possible unless on roids. He would have to have 40+ hr, 20+ doubles, 100+ walks, butprobably closer to 120-150 walks. His career high in walks is 61 last year.
He had 48 doubles and 33 hr but his slg pct was only .550 last year.

[/QUOTE]

My replies are also in the quote above^^

One thing I did find interesting about Cano is how much better he hits on the road than at home. He obviously hits more hr's in that wiffle ball park, but overall his hitting is significantly better on the road.

[quote name='slickkill77']My replies are also in the quote above^^

One thing I did find interesting about Cano is how much better he hits on the road than at home. He obviously hits more hr's in that wiffle ball park, but overall his hitting is significantly better on the road.[/QUOTE]

Choo and CarGo were no that much apart last year. Choo is finally going to hit on top of the batting order in a very good line up in a hitters ballpark.

Admittedly, .750 is too damn high for Cano, but I suspect that pitchers won't give him anything to hit considering that Youk is hitting begind him so 80-100 walks is possible in my books. Also, I am surprised by how poorly he did against LHP last year.

Oh, following my prediction, I'm totally calling Astros banging up Davish for 10 ER tonight.

I know there was talk about it in the MLB threads before, but I can't find the posts. Do any of you have any experience with sharing an MLB.tv account with another person? I know it says it's not allowed in their rules, but I was just wondering if it was possible.

[quote name='HornyPony']Choo and CarGo were no that much apart last year. Choo is finally going to hit on top of the batting order in a very good line up in a hitters ballpark.

Admittedly, .750 is too damn high for Cano, but I suspect that pitchers won't give him anything to hit considering that Youk is hitting begind him so 80-100 walks is possible in my books. Also, I am surprised by how poorly he did against LHP last year.

Oh, following my prediction, I'm totally calling Astros banging up Davish for 10 ER tonight.[/QUOTE]

Harrison is starting tonight, not Darvish. He starts Tuesday.

Sharing as in logging in with one account name for multiple people? I've done it before. As far as I know/remember, you can't both be logged in at the same time though. I believe you can if one person is on the phone and another is on their pc though.

[quote name='slickkill77']Sharing as in logging in with one account name for multiple people? I've done it before. As far as I know/remember, you can't both be logged in at the same time though. I believe you can if one person is on the phone and another is on their pc though.[/QUOTE]

This would mostly be one on 360, and the other on an iPad. I don't know. It's only $130 for the entire season, which is a hell of a deal compared to NFL Sunday Ticket. It probably makes sense just to buy separate subs.

Baseball package has three issues. The first is non cable games not being available. Another is blackouts. The last is Fox saturday baseball basically blacking out all other games.

Aside from that its awesome. I have extra innings and not the mlb.tv sub.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Baseball package has three issues. The first is non cable games not being available. Another is blackouts. The last is Fox saturday baseball basically blacking out all other games.

Aside from that its awesome. I have extra innings and not the mlb.tv sub.[/QUOTE]

How often does that actually happen? The only time I would ever use something like mlb.tv is to watch Rays games not on tv. Obviously they are blacked out but you can fake your location. The only time I ever remember games not being on tv at all are games that start at some weird time like 6 on a Saturday. Those are blacked out because of the Fox restrictions.

The Rays have 150 games on their main tv network. 5 games are on Fox and 2 games are on a sister channel to our main channel. That's 157 games. So basically 5 are blacked out for us in St Pete. The blackout restrictions make zero sense to me. Why would MLB not want people to pay $100+ for mlb.tv? I have little interest in watching other teams, but I'm sure if hometown games weren't blacked out more people would buy mlb.tv. They need to work out and agreement with the stations that broadcast the games or allow commercials.

[quote name='slickkill77']How often does that actually happen? The only time I would ever use something like mlb.tv is to watch Rays games not on tv. Obviously they are blacked out but you can fake your location. The only time I ever remember games not being on tv at all are games that start at some weird time like 6 on a Saturday. Those are blacked out because of the Fox restrictions.

The Rays have 150 games on their main tv network. 5 games are on Fox and 2 games are on a sister channel to our main channel. That's 157 games. So basically 5 are blacked out for us in St Pete. The blackout restrictions make zero sense to me. Why would MLB not want people to pay $100+ for mlb.tv? I have little interest in watching other teams, but I'm sure if hometown games weren't blacked out more people would buy mlb.tv. They need to work out and agreement with the stations that broadcast the games or allow commercials.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on who has the rights. I watch the Rangers and they have Fox Sports South West show games and TXA 21 does some of their game as well. The TXA games can't be watched because they are on a local TV affiliate (I believe that is a CBS affiliate). It means that Friday's and a lot of Saturdays are no go for the Rangers for me.

I think the Dodgers get screwed with the package because they do a lot of games on local TV as well. I think KTLA has a shit load of games at least through this year.

mlb.tv's really only worth it if your team is out of market. I'm a Reds fan but live in Philly, so the $99 is well worth it to watch home/away/hd broadcasts that I'm *never* going to see locally.

If I were a Phillies fan (I like 'em, but the Reds have been my team since the 80's), I don't think it would be worth it.

mlb.tv is also far cheaper for far more content than comparable packages from NFL, NHL, or NBA. They deserve my business, as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='HornyPony']With just a few days before opening day I'll make some meaningless predictions

- Ike Davis finishes season with a .270/ .375/ 525 line, hitting 42 HRs.[/quote]

Davis had a .900 OPS after June something last season (with a .260 BABIP and 21% LD rate, no less), I can see that. Maybe a few less HR due to playing time, but I can easily buy a .900 OPS.

I buy Darvish before Moore. Darvish was ridiculous last season once he figured out the US strike zone.

This is crackers! A .450 ISO? Damn!

In all seriousness, Cano's FB rate dropped again, to 26%. If his HR/FB rate were his career average of 13.7% instead of the 24% he put up last season, he'd have hit 19 HR. His zone contact rate dropped over 5 points after consistently sitting in the mid 90s his whole career, and even with being more selective his swinging strike rate has spiked from 4.7% in 2009 to 8.3% in 2012. If we're going bold, I'm going to say he'll put up a 2008 season.

I think his decline will be slightly more gentle, though.

[quote name='GhostShark']Harrison is starting tonight, not Darvish. He starts Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Ugh so according to ESPN's announcers, Washington went with Harrison over Darvish because Harrison "had more wins and was more consistent". I understand that picthing order becomes useless a few weeks into the season, but come on Darvish was hands down better than Harrison last year (not to mention that I would much rather see Darvish pitch on the season opener ;))

[quote name='HornyPony']Ugh so according to ESPN's announcers, Washington went with Harrison over Darvish because Harrison "had more wins and was more consistent". I understand that picthing order becomes useless a few weeks into the season, but come on Darvish was hands down better than Harrison last year (not to mention that I would much rather see Darvish pitch on the season opener ;))[/QUOTE]

Ron Washington, everybody!

Good job on Ron Washington bringing in Derek fucking Lowe in the most crucial spot in the game. That's good managing. Also, having three lefties at the bottom of the line-up. Problems are already arising with his management. At least this news of extending Elvis Andrus is pretty cool.

This has to be the saddest Yankees lineup ever. I wish ESPN was televising the Nats and Marlins game, I know it will be a stompfest but it will be more exciting than this one.

[quote name='tcrash247']This has to be the saddest Yankees lineup ever. I wish ESPN was televising the Nats and Marlins game, I know it will be a stompfest but it will be more exciting than this one.[/QUOTE]

Would've been better if CC stopped impersonating Hughes. If CC is unable to throw beyond 90 MPH and get hitters out with 2 strikes, Yanks have another problem on their hands.

I like seeing the Yankees get beat. :)

Watching Nats/Marlins, and Bryce Harper is destroying Nolasco. The Marlins aren't putting up much resistance against Strasburg either.

EDIT: Wow, did MASN ever screw up that double play. The camera stayed at home for the throw to home plate, but changed to the crowd during the rundown. When they finally switched to the rundown, Desmond through to home, where the cameras just barely caught the final tag.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']When was the last time the Sox/Yankees rivialry mattered this little in a season's big picture?[/QUOTE]

If you mean the last time both teams were bad at once, it's been since the early 90s.

It wasn't especially relevant with last year's crappy Sox team either though.

The Giants were skirting trouble until the 8th, when Clayton Kershaw went deep and the Giants bullpen completely fell apart. Wild pitches, screwed up bunts, hit batters, all the best stuff.

0WqDbrq.gif

bread's done
Back