2013 MLB Discussion

[quote name='DNukem170']He didn't here last year, hence why everyone wanted Dan Duquette to get a big bopper. If only he had this 6 months ago...[/QUOTE]

33 HR and 85 RBIs in 139 games last year is more than solid.

Which is why DD didn't go out to get a big bopper.

Fun facts: CD is on a 10-game (reg season) homer streak. Also, Adam Jones has gotten on base all 3 games so far and the guy behind him hit a HR.

And the 2 out runs continue to flow in for the Orioles. Must be their thing this year. 20 runs scored this series. 14 have come with 2 outs.

Shocking Breaking News. :roll:
Brian Roberts is injured again.

What a bullshit call at the end of the Rays game, but hey we don't need instant replay. They called Longoria out for passing Zobrist and he never passed him. The best part is none of the umpires were even looking at the baserunners. I LOVE umpires. Bunch of egotistical idiots ruining the game.

On a positive note, Roberto Hernandez looked very good today. Other than Adam Jones and Chris Davis he had the O's number for most of his start. Unfortunately the Rays just ran into Chris Davis at the wrong time

Last edited by a moderator:
I am torn whether or not to drop Axford and pick up a free agent closer. He makes watching Brewers games terribly difficult. The once known Ax Man, is now the I cause fans to pull the plug on their TV to limit watching my bad self... Man.

From one of Roch Kubatko's posts yesterday:

Hernandez issued an intentional walk to Wieters. A fan at The Trop yelled, "You're walking the wrong guy!"

EDIT: Another reason to love Buck. Chris Tillman is supposed to be activated off the DL tomorrow. One of the possibilities in creating a roster spot is to DL Brian Roberts, but that would leave a short bench. Buck's response:

[quote name='Buck Showalter'] "What do you call a short bench? I've had five guys on the bench and thought I had a short bench. It depends who's on the bench, right?

"I'm sure there are some players who felt like we had a short manager."[/QUOTE]

Yankees avoid the sweep as well thanks to home runs by Brett Gardner, Francisco Cervelli, and the pitching of two 40 year olds. Now if that doesn't sound like a recipe for a 100 win season, I don't know what does! \\:D/

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yankees avoid the sweep as well thanks to home runs by Brett Gardner, Francisco Cervelli, and the pitching of two 40 year olds. Now if that doesn't sound like a recipe for a 100 win season, I don't know what does! \\:D/[/QUOTE]

Your team looks real bad n8....real bad...And Jeter is out until May now. It just keeps getting better and better worse and worse for you guys

About Axford. If you can pick up anyone it would be better than Axford. Depends who's available though

[quote name='pitfallharry219']If you can pick up Fujikawa, I'd grab him. Marmol's time is short.[/QUOTE]

Already have fujikawa. Others are Rivera and jim Henderson.

Looking to drop axford for alburqurqe or ryan cook.

Mets are on pace for a billion runs this year.

My fantasy staff is nasty - Verlander, Cueto, CC, Bumgartner and Lincecum (assuming he bounces back - his 2.0 WHIP in his first start was not promising).

Nice pre-game ceremony at OPACY. Good video tribute to Earl (especially considering the lack of interesting footage) and nice touch with the first pitch.

[quote name='slickkill77']You're team looks real bad n8....real bad...And Jeter is out until May now. It just keeps getting better and better worse and worse for you guys[/QUOTE]

Yup. I seriously have zero expectations for this season. With the team's new sense of fiscal responsibility, I feel like they're just waiting on bad contracts to expire (A-Rod and Teixeira). People can say Jeter is overpaid, but at least he produces and doesn't slump for months at a time. Not to mention people come to the ballpark to see him. I don't think the same could be said for A-Rod and Tex.

I don't know what it is, but I've been so down on Teixeira since he came here. His average plummeted like a rock and it takes him FOREVER to get going. The "can't hit in April" thing is such BS. You're a professional. Show up ready to do your damn job. Overall, I feel like Jason Giambi was a better contract...which is really saying something.

In a way, I'm surprised the team doesn't look to just move Cano and get prospects for him. But I guess they figure they've gotta have one truly marquee player. They have to know that they're wasting his prime years though. In the long run, I think not overpaying for players will be better for the team...assuming that they have the scouting talent to figure out what players give will give you the most bang for your buck. But this transitional period is going to be a bitch! It's almost literally going to feel like A-Rod sucking the life out of the team until his contract is up.

If it wasn't for Rivera and Pettitte (likely) being in their last seasons, I probably wouldn't watch a game all year. Depending on how Jeter's year goes, I almost wonder if he'll decide to hang it up as well. It would almost be fitting to see them all call it quits in the same season. If the team isn't going to bother to contend, I don't think any of them should bother with it. They've got 5 rings. They don't need this crap.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Josh Hamilton going 0-4 and the Rangers winning in come from behind fashion was great.[/QUOTE]

He has 8 strike outs in 16 ab's. Have fun with that 5 year contract LA

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yup. I seriously have zero expectations for this season. With the team's new sense of fiscal responsibility, I feel like they're just waiting on bad contracts to expire (A-Rod and Teixeira). People can say Jeter is overpaid, but at least he produces and doesn't slump for months at a time. Not to mention people come to the ballpark to see him. I don't think the same could be said for A-Rod and Tex.

I don't know what it is, but I've been so down on Teixeira since he came here. His average plummeted like a rock and it takes him FOREVER to get going. The "can't hit in April" thing is such BS. You're a professional. Show up ready to do your damn job. Overall, I feel like Jason Giambi was a better contract...which is really saying something.

In a way, I'm surprised the team doesn't look to just move Cano and get prospects for him. But I guess they figure they've gotta have one truly marquee player. They have to know that they're wasting his prime years though. In the long run, I think not overpaying for players will be better for the team...assuming that they have the scouting talent to figure out what players give will give you the most bang for your buck. But this transitional period is going to be a bitch! It's almost literally going to feel like A-Rod sucking the life out of the team until his contract is up.

If it wasn't for Rivera and Pettitte (likely) being in their last seasons, I probably wouldn't watch a game all year. Depending on how Jeter's year goes, I almost wonder if he'll decide to hang it up as well. It would almost be fitting to see them all call it quits in the same season. If the team isn't going to bother to contend, I don't think any of them should bother with it. They've got 5 rings. They don't need this crap.[/QUOTE]

Ugh I hate when I make a grammar error and I don't catch it in time. Then someone quotes me. Obviously meant "Your team"*

The Yankees could be in real trouble in the next few years. We'll see how Boston transitions out of it, but it could be worse than the Boston collapse. Your best pitcher is an overweight, overworked soon to be 33 year old. The rest of the pitching staff is either 40 years old or just not very good. The infield is old or broken everywhere but second base. Although I still think they sign Cano. Otherwise the Dodgers will just throw money at him and sign him. The outfield is made up of another 40 year old, a speedy white guy, and another guy on the wrong side of 30 who is already broken. I'm pretty sure everyone on the bench is over 35 and making absurd amounts of money.

Unless the Yankees go all Dodgers on free agents in the next few years it could be a real bumpy ride. Cashman hasn't exactly shown his prowess as a GM when he can't just throw money at the problems his team has. It may be in their best interest this year to trade away some of their assets if they fall out of the race early, but I see Yankee pride getting in the way and they will hold onto hope. Of course this is all perfectly fine with me. I've been waiting for this kind of year from the Yankees for years, but they just keep winning.

[quote name='slickkill77']He has 8 strike outs in 16 ab's. Have fun with that 5 year contract LA

Ugh I hate when I make a grammar error and I don't catch it in time. Then someone quotes me. Obviously meant "Your team"*

The Yankees could be in real trouble in the next few years. We'll see how Boston transitions out of it, but it could be worse than the Boston collapse. Your best pitcher is an overweight, overworked soon to be 33 year old. The rest of the pitching staff is either 40 years old or just not very good. The infield is old or broken everywhere but second base. Although I still think they sign Cano. Otherwise the Dodgers will just throw money at him and sign him. The outfield is made up of another 40 year old, a speedy white guy, and another guy on the wrong side of 30 who is already broken. I'm pretty sure everyone on the bench is over 35 and making absurd amounts of money.

Unless the Yankees go all Dodgers on free agents in the next few years it could be a real bumpy ride. Cashman hasn't exactly shown his prowess as a GM when he can't just throw money at the problems his team has. It may be in their best interest this year to trade away some of their assets if they fall out of the race early, but I see Yankee pride getting in the way and they will hold onto hope. Of course this is all perfectly fine with me. I've been waiting for this kind of year from the Yankees for years, but they just keep winning.[/QUOTE]

We'll be fine. The Yankees demise is overblown. There are some good prospects waiting in the wings and will be in majors in the next couple of seasons. It is true that this is going to be a rough year but most Yankees fans were already aware of this. Furthermore, 4 games do not make a season. Things will be back to normal next year. The Yanks simply reload... they do not rebuild.

[quote name='slickkill77']He has 8 strike outs in 16 ab's. Have fun with that 5 year contract LA

[/QUOTE]

He is all super sensitive too. He literally said that he had never heard the ballpark louder and shit all over people with a condescending comment. What a fucking baby.

As long you throw him the ball low and away, he will chase that shit all night and day. He can't lay off it.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Chris Davis to his "trainer": "These steroids are working great!"[/QUOTE]

Davis has been huge his whole career.

It's just now he is actually making contact on a regular basis.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Chris Davis to his "trainer": "These steroids are working great!"[/QUOTE]

How many times have I told you... Wheaties is what making Davis tearing up the ball.

Same goes for Michael Morse. Go M's!!!

We've seen this before from hitters. As much as it is pissing me off, it is still impressive what Davis is doing. Whether or not he can keep pace with the top hitters all season will be the key.

Meanwhile Brian Roberts and Jeff Niemann are both injured and on the DL. No one even noticed that they left the DL

Rays pitching is back on track. 19 straight scoreless innings. Liking what I'm seeing out of them. So many less strike outs which is always good for them. All the new guys look really good. Loney, Johnson, Escobar.

Bj finally got a hit for the Braves. Justin with the walk off. He likes ATL. Carlos Marmol is just awful.

Saw something I thought was hilarious. The Astros have 60 strike outs and 5 walks as a team this year. They had 3 walks the first game of the season. They are a real bad team. Their opponents have 18 walks and 30 strike outs against them.

Pitching was down right embarrassing today

Price, Verlander, Cain, Shields, Hamels, Strasburg and some others just got rocked today bad

Other than a single bad pitch to Mccutchen (and there's no real shame in getting thumped by him), Ryu pitched great. His line after 2 starts: 12.2 IP, 2 BB, 11 K, 3 ER (2 on the homer by Mccutchen), 1.18 WHIP, 2.13 ERA. Looked shaky with the 10 hits in 6 IP in his first start, but completely controlled the Pirates yesterday after the 1st inning (1 hit em in the next 5 IP).

He's makin $3.3 this year.

Through 6, Dodger pitchers have allowed 10 runs (8 earned) and walked 8.

edit: though I should say we've played against soft offenses to be sure.

Terry Francona claims he got lost making the two block walk to the stadium today...

...Indians probably wish Jimenez had gotten lost and never made it...

I've been watching baseball a long time, and I can't remember ever seeing a worse call than this:

8632771029_037cfd4de4_o.gif

I mean, it looks a bit worse than it was because it's such a sharp break, but even if it was level when it crossed the plate, it's still a good 7 inches outside.

Yeah, that was awful, but to be fair, he called 2 pitches right down the middle for balls against Desmond Jennings and his strike zone had been wonky the entire game. It was one of the many reasons why Ogando had to throw so many pitches just to get into the 5th inning.

It ticks me off that MLB.TV blocks local teams. I'd happily pay them money for the service, but they won't let me. And it is awesome on iPad. The non 16:9 aspect lets them have info top and bottom, plus the slide in/out pitch location, stats, etc, is really sweet. I just wish I could use it to watch the Orioles and Nationals. So dumb. :(

[quote name='crunchewy']It ticks me off that MLB.TV blocks local teams. I'd happily pay them money for the service, but they won't let me. And it is awesome on iPad. The non 16:9 aspect lets them have info top and bottom, plus the slide in/out pitch location, stats, etc, is really sweet. I just wish I could use it to watch the Orioles and Nationals. So dumb. :([/QUOTE]

It is indeed very annoying. It's especially annoying as a Red Sox fan living in DC, since they still consider us as part of Baltimore's market so every Orioles-Sox game is blacked out. Which is only mildly annoying (except for day games like yesterday when I'm stuck at work) since I do get MASN, but it's still an antiquated and obnoxious rule.

[quote name='DNukem170']I think the ump just had a brain fart or got his wires crossed or something to that effect.[/QUOTE]

I think he was deceived by the angle. I mean, if you look where it crosses the plate it is certainly high enough to be reasonably called a strike (and the pitchfx confirms this) so that part of the call is fine, it was just well outside.

U0LcsQS.gif

So it definitely looked worse than it was given where the pitch ended up (maybe it's more accurate to say it's the worst call ever to the naked eye) but it's still a good 6-7 inches outside even when it crossed the plate.

[quote name='crunchewy']It ticks me off that MLB.TV blocks local teams. I'd happily pay them money for the service, but they won't let me. And it is awesome on iPad. The non 16:9 aspect lets them have info top and bottom, plus the slide in/out pitch location, stats, etc, is really sweet. I just wish I could use it to watch the Orioles and Nationals. So dumb. :([/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%. MLB.TV blocking the Rays games is what is preventing me from dropping cable entirely.

[quote name='bvharris']I've been watching baseball a long time, and I can't remember ever seeing a worse call than this:

8632771029_037cfd4de4_o.gif

I mean, it looks a bit worse than it was because it's such a sharp break, but even if it was level when it crossed the plate, it's still a good 7 inches outside.[/QUOTE]

That was awful - and Zobrist is on my fantasy team. Ugh.

[quote name='bvharris']I've been watching baseball a long time, and I can't remember ever seeing a worse call than this:[/quote]

What about the game-ending call by Jerry Meals after 19 innings of Braves/Pirates?

The above is *awful*, but Meals was a fucking disaster.

Wow...the Yankees hit 5 home runs and DESTROYED the Indians 14-1 today. Cano, Youkilis, Brennan Boesch, Ichiro, and Lyle Overbay homered for the Yanks. God damn, that must have been some terrible Cleveland pitching, lol. Not even going to feel good about the Yankees hitting like that. Even though they scored 11 runs in the opener against Cleveland, it just feels like a gift with this patchwork lineup. At least Andy Pettitte pitched like a beast again. 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER. Not bad for a 40 year old. Yankees win their 3rd straight game? Red Sox and Yankees in 1st and 2nd place in the AL East? WTF is this voodoo? lol

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...the Yankees hit 5 home runs and DESTROYED the Indians 14-1 today. Cano, Youkilis, Brennan Boesch, Ichiro, and Lyle Overbay homered for the Yanks. God damn, that must have been some terrible Cleveland pitching, lol. Not even going to feel good about the Yankees hitting like that. Even though they scored 11 runs in the opener against Cleveland, it just feels like a gift with this patchwork lineup. At least Andy Pettitte pitched like a beast again. 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER. Not bad for a 40 year old. Yankees win their 3rd straight game? Red Sox and Yankees in 1st and 2nd place in the AL East? WTF is this voodoo? lol[/QUOTE]

2007 called, they want their standings back. :D

I am definitely enjoying the good early work by the Sox. I'm still bearish on their prospects overall for the season, but if nothing else this version of the team is about 1000 times more likeable than last year's version.

Michael Morse with #6 of the season. Even though the M's are getting shelled by Astros tonight. Sad night to be a Mariners' fan.

bread's done
Back