2013 MLB Discussion

Barry Zito, Cy Young contender, Silver slugger contender, does it all.

(I know this is his second game into the season but this is hilarious.)

Hey, umps? It's April. When both pitchers have trouble finding the strike zone, puddles form in the infield, batters have to wipe away drops every 1.3 seconds, and the cameras are so foggy it looks like a VHS recording, it might be a good idea to delay the game. Also, this is Orioles/Red Sox. They play each other about another 5,000 times this season, unlike Yanks/Indians. Does New York even go to Cleveland again this year? Again, it's fucking APRIL.

EDIT: Yea, NOW you delay it. Sheesh.

EDIT x2: I love it when Manny's being Manny. :)

Moments like that also make me glad Gary Throne is doing more Oriole games instead of Jim Hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']It is indeed very annoying. It's especially annoying as a Red Sox fan living in DC, since they still consider us as part of Baltimore's market so every Orioles-Sox game is blacked out. Which is only mildly annoying (except for day games like yesterday when I'm stuck at work) since I do get MASN, but it's still an antiquated and obnoxious rule.[/QUOTE]

It's because of the huge TV contracts teams are getting from cable companies to be the exclusive providers so people have to watch them. It's why the Cardinals no longer have a limited slate of games on free airwaves, it's all Fox Sports Midwest or ESPN unless its a Fox Saturday Game of the Week.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Quentin shouldn't be back until zack is.[/QUOTE]

That has never been a rule, and never will be a rule.

If Zack wasn't talking shit after he hit him, I doubt he gets his ass beat.

First pitch to Quentin on Monday should be in his fucking ear hole. That was total BS. Youre gonna get hit if you crowd the plate, and who would intentionally hit someone in a one run game with a 3-2 count.

[quote name='vrs1650']First pitch to Quentin on Monday should be in his fucking ear hole. That was total BS. Youre gonna get hit if you crowd the plate, and who would intentionally hit someone in a one run game with a 3-2 count.[/QUOTE]

Vincente Padilla

And yeah he would do that too. But he's the kind of guy that would retaliate, we need that at some point, but wait for it to happen, not right away.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That has never been a rule, and never will be a rule.

If Zack wasn't talking shit after he hit him, I doubt he gets his ass beat.[/QUOTE]

no shit it isn't a rule, it's just how i feel it should be handled.

[quote name='perdition(troy']no shit it isn't a rule, it's just how i feel it should be handled.[/QUOTE]

And pitchers shouldn't be allowed to pitch every time they hurt a batter with a ball. :roll:

Also Grienke isn't exactly innocent here, if he didn't get his collarbone broken we probably wouldn't be talking about this. He's the idiot who charged Quinton while he was running after him and did a shoulder lunge, then proceeded to try to grab his man junk. It as stupid by both parties.

Taken from SAS* I couldn't help but laugh pretty hard at this.

Source

NY Times posted:

Investigators for Major League Baseball have uncovered what they believe is evidence that a representative of Alex Rodriguez purchased medical records from a person connected to a South Florida anti-aging clinic that is suspected of providing performance-enhancing drugs to a number of major leaguers, according to two people briefed on the matter.

The New York Times reported online Thursday that Major League Baseball had purchased documents from a former employee at the clinic, which operated under the name Biogenesis of America and is now closed, in an effort to uncover evidence that would link the clinic to the distribution of performance-enhancing drugs. The article also stated that one major league player had also purchased clinic documents from a former clinic employee so that they could be destroyed. That player was not identified until Friday, when the two people said it was Rodriguez, the 37-year-old Yankees third baseman currently rehabilitating from off-season hip surgery.​

iiEbiz9wgb8BJ.gif

The Braves' offense is running really smoothly with what is essentially an entirely new lineup at this point. It's nice to see Heyward show signs of breaking out of his funk.

Reds lost to the Pirates tonight. Dusty Baker shows his true colors again, riding an incompetent horse to death and beyond. It was Drew Stubbs the past few years, consistently batting in the top of the order. This year it's using JJ Hoover as a reliever. 3 of the Reds' 5 losses are on him. JFC.

[quote name='mykevermin']Reds lost to the Pirates tonight. Dusty Baker shows his true colors again, riding an incompetent horse to death and beyond. It was Drew Stubbs the past few years, consistently batting in the top of the order. This year it's using JJ Hoover as a reliever. 3 of the Reds' 5 losses are on him. JFC.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better, I hit a walk off home run by Lance Berkman off a JJ Hoover in MLB 13: The Show.

The Phillies are finally coming alive, unfortunately they're beating the Mets and Marlins. They really need to ride this and beat some good teams. Oh, and that Halladay guy needs to stop sucking.

[quote name='GhostShark']If it makes you feel any better, I hit a walk off home run by Lance Berkman off a JJ Hoover in MLB 13: The Show.[/QUOTE]

Well, let me never question the accuracy of the game. :lol:

If someone said that the Astros would be as good or better than the Angels, Jays and Brewers even just 10 games in, they would of been laughed at.

Braves beat the Nats again today to go to 10-1. Evan Gattis hit another homer, Craig Kimbrel got his sixth save in six chances, and Tim Hudson got career win #199.

Well, the Yankees 4 game winning streak was snapped today. But they did pull off this triple play last night. Not bad when you're missing 3/4 of your starting infield. Sadly, I think this could be the high point of the season, lol.

aaf977721a104ab396f63ffdbbf905d5_large

I'd like to know which members of the high brass thought it would be a good idea to give Ichiro a 2 year deal.

Oh, and Matt Harvey is good.

My CAG fantasy team is awful. Trout, Posey and Encarnacion need to get their shit together.

My other fantasy team is dominating but I have 0 steals this week. Weird

Braves get another homer from Justin Upton and thump the Nats 9-0 to finish off a 3-game sweep in DC.

11-1 on the year now.

Hopefully this upcoming series against the Cubs can get some of these cold Ranger bats going. Specifically Moreland, Murphy and Beltre.

[quote name='GhostShark']Hopefully this upcoming series against the Cubs can get some of these cold Ranger bats going. Specifically Moreland, Murphy and Beltre.[/QUOTE]

After watching the Cubs today, I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Our relief pitching has been awful to say the least.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']After watching the Cubs today, I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Our relief pitching has been awful to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it is terrible..so disappointing.

The Rays offense is going through its major slump early on this season. Barely avoided our seasonal no hitter/perfect game today so maybe it can get worse. It's truly baffling how this can happen so often to a team. The thing that gets me the most is that the Rays do have offensive talent, even more so than teams like the Padres and yet we are constantly getting embarrassed more than they do.

Their problem is that they rely on Jennings, Zobrist and Longoria. The rest of team is prone to giant slumps for no reason what so ever and if those three don't hit, game over man. I don't know what happened to Matt Joyce but that guy is awful this year. The really frustrating thing is that they are having better at bats, and making more contact than they have done in years. They've had zero luck as far as stupid bloop hits dropping in, and when they make good contact they are hitting it right at people. I've never seen a team get so many crappy bloop hits like the Rangers did last series. Luke Scott and Wil Myers need to get here quick

That would of been 5 years, and 5 no hitters for the Rays.
Felix Hernandez perfect game in 12
Edwin Jackson no hitter in 10
Dallas Braden perfect game in 10
Mark Buerhle perfect game in 09
Brandon Morrow was 1 hitter away from a no hitter in 2010 as well. Lost it on an infield single

I had to laugh at Dan Shulman's utter shock about the O's 14-year losing streak. I know he doesn't do the Orioles often, but still.

Damn Cardinals bullpen looks like it did pre-August of 2011. I thought Ryan Franklin retired ...

Oh well my nosebleed cheap seat ($10 plus $3 Stub Hub) was still worth it to get the Yadier Molina replica Gold/Platinum Glove trophy plus free parking in the city on Sunday's. Since I was going to the game so early (got into the city at 10:15) had my choice of spots.

You know a game is dull when the main highlight in SNB's summary video is Chris Davis hitting his head on a groundout.

Also, I think Brennan Bosch has more hits this season than he had all of last year.

The difference between the Bobby Valentine and John Farrell eras for the Red Sox has been like night and day, only 11 games in. The hot starts by Lester and Buchholz certainly make this team look much more competitive than a lot of people (including me) thought they would be. And the offense should only improve once Ortiz gets back.

It really hurts watching your team struggle against the Marlins. I know the Phillies aren't in the best shape but to not sweep the fucking Marlins is just bad.

Well, the Marlins are going win SOME games, after all. Even the worst teams in the league get 60-some wins usually.

[quote name='DNukem170']Well, the Marlins are going win SOME games, after all. Even the worst teams in the league get 60-some wins usually.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I prefer those wins to come from the Mets.

This could probably only happen on Jackie Robinson Day with everyone wearing 42, but.. Koji Uehara just entered the game in the 8th inning for the Red Sox, and ESPN's Gamecast/box score says Junichi Tazawa is pitching. Nothing like some innocuous racism on Jackie Robinson day, huh?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Dempster pitches a great game, and then Andrew Bailey comes in and blows it in two batters.[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox have a good bullpen, but they seem to be allergic to the 9th inning. Bailey has been lights out in the 8th. He gave up 2 singles though, so it's not like he's getting knocked around the park.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I don't care about how he's pitching. He cost Dempster a W for my fantasy team. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, there it is. :D

He really didn't pitch horribly, Jennings got a single on a great curveball, and Zobrist had a bloop that fell in.

As much as I'd have liked the Sox to win there, I'm not going to complain about baseball eating up a bit more of my work day.

Got this from Rays Index...oiy

Halfway through the month of April, the Rays have an OPS of .581. How bad is that? It is dead last in the AL, 67 points behind the next lowest team, the Twins (.648). It is 117 points worse than the Houston Astros, a team that is composed of Carlos Pena and a bunch of minor leaguers. It is worse than 13 NL teams, the league where nearly one out of nine at bats is by a pitcher. At .581, this would be the worst offensive month in (DEVIL) RAYS HISTORY. Like EVER. By a mile. As of now, the worst month in team history came in April, 2002, when that club posted a .633 OPS. That club lost 106 games…

bread's done
Back