Three Game Gear Games for $1:
Shaq-Fu
Sonic Drift 2
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

Not a great day of sales but I did manage to get:

Silent Hill 3: $5
An extra gameboy sp charger: $2
Two Dualshock 2 controllers: $6

People kept telling me today that a guy came 5 minutes before me and bought all the video game items. Hopefully he was a collector and not an awful reseller.

Everything I found this weekend is kind of junk. Got 2 original Xbox consoles for 6 dollars total and neither work, but they came with working controllers and all the wires. I also found a Nintendo 64 today with Goldeneye 64 and a madkatz xbox controller for 8 dollars but once again the system doesn't work.

So this is a sad yard sale story (for me at least)

I had yard sales picked out for Saturday, but Friday was my girlfriend's birthday and she wanted to go bar hopping with friends and we didn't get back until 2:30am so I decided to go to yard sales later in the day rather than as they opened. Well what would have been my first stop of the day was an Estate Sale and my friend ended up going to it and for $20 for a giant box scored:

An NES console with 2 controllers and Zapper, and Genesis Model 2 with two controllers

The games were the real score though:
NES:
Flintstones Surprise at Dino Peak
Duck Tales 2
Paperboy 2
Mickey's Safari in Letterland
Mega Man 6
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 x2
Super Mario Bros. 3 x2
then about 30 common games

Genesis:
Splatterhouse 2 complete in box
20+ complete in box common games

There were a couple other random games mixed in, but I ballparked it at almost $1400 in value.

That is what I get for missing yard sales one week, but it will not happen again after missing out on that.

[quote name='ferant316']So this is a sad yard sale story (for me at least)

I had yard sales picked out for Saturday, but Friday was my girlfriend's birthday and she wanted to go bar hopping with friends and we didn't get back until 2:30am so I decided to go to yard sales later in the day rather than as they opened. Well what would have been my first stop of the day was an Estate Sale and my friend ended up going to it and for $20 for a giant box scored:

An NES console with 2 controllers and Zapper, and Genesis Model 2 with two controllers

NES:
Duck Tales 2
Paperboy 2
Mega Man 6
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 x2
Super Mario Bros. 3 x2

Genesis:

There were a couple other random games mixed in, but I ballparked it at almost $1400 in value.

That is what I get for missing yard sales one week, but it will not happen again after missing out on that.[/QUOTE]

Maybe im selfish, but this is why I never tell friends about my buying games. I imagine the friend of yours heard stories of you getting games so it made him start looking, which in turn made you lose out on the deal.

Was definitely a good find for him though, I think I always offer too much at yard sales. If I were there id of probably offered at least $50 right off the bat.

You would offer more than it was listed for? Hell I found an Atari Jaguar once for $10 and still CIF'ed for $5

I knew a guy that made his living buying and selling games and he eventually had to stop because so many other people knew what he was doing and tried to do it too and everything dried up. Most people are too lazy to actually do it anyway

It's not difficult to do, it just takes a lot of time and gas money wasted. Plus every means for you to resell is full of as much nonsense and bullshit as anything. Chargebacks, fees, lost packages, etc. etc.

reselling is good when you get those huge scores like that guy saw, but how often to those happen? once or twice every few months?

even at my mediocre job I make $1400 in a few weeks easily.

And nobody can chargeback my paycheck.

Plus I don't think Playstation and N64 or onward will ever hit the highs that SNES/Genesis and earlier did/do. That generation doesn't have the same kind of nostalgia for those games because modern versions of them are still kind of being iterated on.

Last edited:

NES:
Duck Tales 2
Paperboy 2
Mega Man 6
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 x2
Super Mario Bros. 3 x2

Genesis:

That is what I get for missing yard sales one week, but it will not happen again after missing out on that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's pretty soulcrushing. Estate sales seem to be goldmines from what I've been seeing.

[quote name='jer7583']
Plus I don't think Playstation and N64 or onward will ever hit the highs that SNES/Genesis and earlier did/do. That generation doesn't have the same kind of nostalgia for those games because modern versions of them are still kind of being iterated on.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the fact that a series is still being iterated on means anything. They still iterate on most of the series' from the NES era, yet those games are still worth a lot. Plenty of games from the PS1/Saturn/N64 era are worth money - Panzer Dragoon Saga, Suikoden II, etc. The PS2/GC/Xbox era is still climbing, and will continue to rise. Yes, the NES and SNES era will likely always be worth more, but that's because it will always be older.

People tend to long for the things they grew up with when they get older. There is kids growing up with the 360, so logic (and history) dictates that one day they'll get older and want to buy 360 games they missed out on. The people driving prices up on SNES/NES games are the people who grew up with them.

Had one of my best yard sale finds to date last weekend (though nothing compared to some of you.) Got a pink DS Lite for the wife for $6! Asking $10, but it was dirty and sticky, so got it for $6. It cleaned up rather nicely.
Also got:
Portable DVD Player w/battery and cables - $5
Super Mario Land 2 (GBA) - $3
Mortal Kombat (GB) - $1
PS2 Memory Card - $1
Pokemon strategy guides (plat, diamond) - .25 each

A few other knick knacks and things for the house, but a nice DS Lite sure made the morning worth it.

NES:
Duck Tales 2
Paperboy 2
Mega Man 6
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 x2
Super Mario Bros. 3 x2

Genesis:

nice, but I don't really see a $1400 value there. thats a bit much.

NES:
Duck Tales 2
Paperboy 2
Mega Man 6
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 x2
Super Mario Bros. 3 x2

Genesis:

[quote name='MasaTFC']nice, but I don't really see a $1400 value there. thats a bit much.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flintstones...8087?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4172602627

Most recent cart only auction on ebay for Flintstones suprise at dinosaur peak, sold at not quite $900 on its own....

Ducktales 2 $100

those 2 games alone are ~ $1,000

[quote name='Kovorkian']http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flintstones...8087?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4172602627

Most recent cart only auction on ebay for Flintstones suprise at dinosaur peak, sold at not quite $900 on its own....

Ducktales 2 $100

those 2 games alone are ~ $1,000[/QUOTE]

And if you throw in Splatterhouse and Megaman 6 your getting close to 1100 pretty easily. Im sure if you had to that $300 could be made up with the rest of the games.

[quote name='Olengie']I take it that the Flintstones Game actually goes that far? :lol: Surprised that it reached the 800 Mark.[/QUOTE]

Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive and it came out in 1994....

However the first flintstones game (the rescue of dino and hoppy) can be had for $10 or less

Went to some garage sales this past saturday with no luck at a bunch of sales. Finally came across this though.. CIB Gamecube, metal gear solid, and zelda guide for a total of $30
331erzq.jpg

I probablly would've passed on the gamecube, but I opened it up and found this:
2iu9gy0.jpg

WOOOOOOOO

Anyone have advice on two-day yard sales if I'm only able to go on a Saturday? I realize that some homes in a multi-family sale only sell on Saturday, but I was wondering if I should go to those sales as well, or focus on the Saturday only yard sales.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Anyone have advice on two-day yard sales if I'm only able to go on a Saturday? I realize that some homes in a multi-family sale only sell on Saturday, but I was wondering if I should go to those sales as well, or focus on the Saturday only yard sales.[/QUOTE]

You certainly don't want to pass up any sales, but I'd go to those with low expectations. Plan your route based on the Saturday-only sales, then if there are other ones in the area, go for them.

It. Has. BEGUN.

90bll4.jpg

$10. Keyboard works (though the orange key is a bit squeaky) and all the games are complete in excellent condition. Even the BF3 online pass was unused.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive and it came out in 1994....

However the first flintstones game (the rescue of dino and hoppy) can be had for $10 or less[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know the history of the game. I guess the price I had in mind for it was pretty outdated. :lol:

I'm usually not too much of a yard sale person, but stopped at 2 local ones today. Made a few small pickups:

6 WWF Hasbro figures: Berzerker w/ tunic, Ric Flair, Texas Tornado, Nasty Boys & Rick Steiner all for $10

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX for Gameboy (cart only, label has some fading) for $2

That's it. Might have to start going to more, I'm addicted to the hunt.

Turn back now while you still can!

As for me, I couldn't get myself out of bed this morning. There were some sales listed but the temperature was in the 40's. It's a long season but I want to get in the groove early.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']It. Has. BEGUN.

90bll4.jpg

$10. Keyboard works (though the orange key is a bit squeaky) and all the games are complete in excellent condition. Even the BF3 online pass was unused.[/QUOTE]
Nice ! Ghostbusters FTW.

Picked up lots of great stuff today!

Most notably I got a DSi XL for $10 :D When I first bought it I planned on keeping it (my current DS is the bulky blue dinosaur) but now I'm not sure if I should sell it and put the cash towards a 3DS and the new pokemon game :/ decisions decisions.....

Also bought a couple of GameCube games off of a 6 year old today. You know something's off when an 18 year old goes out to buy video games and a 6 year old is ready to part with his XD At least he was fair with his prices ;D

10 games for $20 :)

jLLzpDm.jpg

Half-life 2
MGS3 Subsistence
Resident Evil 4
Indigo Prophecy
Fatal Frame II Director's Cut
Zone of the Enders
Starfox Adventures
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
Chrono Cross CIB

I saw the games first. I cherry picked a few and asked how much they were. They wanted .50 each. Then the daughter came over and pointed out a box with the Dreamcast and accessories. She said I'll give you all the games, system, and accessories for $20. I offered $15, which she quickly accepted!

img2355wq.jpg

Also picked these up for $5:
img2356jq.jpg

[quote name='te619']I saw the games first. I cherry picked a few and asked how much they were. They wanted .50 each. Then the daughter came over and pointed out a box with the Dreamcast and accessories. She said I'll give you all the games, system, and accessories for $20. I offered $15, which she quickly accepted!

img2355wq.jpg

Also picked these up for $5:
img2356jq.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Incredible find and deal!

I would have payed $20 for that Dreamcast without hesitating. At a certain point, I feel dirty offering less on what is already an insanely good deal.

I agree, even at $30 this would have very acceptable.

I went back to the retro game seller from last month, and had a fine haul for $25. I could've gotten more but didn't feel like it. I got:
A genuine SNES ac adapter for $10, for my other SNES I got from Craigslist
The Japanese version of Aero Fighters (Sonic Wings) SNES for cart only.
Edo no Kiva (Fang of Edo)- a side scroller with a guy in a samurai suit, complete in box. Has graphics problems, as a giant flamethrowing robot will cause the screen to glitch, as if the system couldn't handle it...
Mobile Armor Dion- another shooting game, with auto rapidfire.
Sega GT (complete)

Not much to get really excited about, though Sonic Wings is hella fun, Neo Geo or SNES.

[quote name='Kovorkian']Dinosaur Peak was a Blockbuster exclusive and it came out in 1994....

However the first flintstones game (the rescue of dino and hoppy) can be had for $10 or less[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected good sir.

Not a ton of sales today due to rain, but I got a couple things

pokemongames.jpg

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Pearl
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda Four Swords
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Total Paid: $30

Sadly, I cannot get Yellow or Leaf Green to work at all. I get the gameboy logo, then just a blank screen and I've tried cleaning them both several times.

Also I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Greatest Hits for $3, but forgot to take a picture. I've been wanting to play this series for a while now.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I would have payed $20 for that Dreamcast without hesitating. At a certain point, I feel dirty offering less on what is already an insanely good deal.[/QUOTE]

seriously, talk about pushing your luck (and being scummy, imho)

[quote name='Kovorkian']:D

Small differences can make a huge difference see:

Stadium Events and World Class Track meet

$2,000 + shipping from sweden (2 days to go at time of posting) versus. $6.30 BIN w/ Free shipping

Same game, different license and title[/QUOTE]
This right here is why I freaked out when I first found out about Stadium Events's value. My aunt had WCTM when I was a kid and I was like "HOLY CRAP, MY AUNT HAD THAT GAME" but then I found out about the different names and was like "Oh, nevermind."

[quote name='mguiddy']This right here is why I freaked out when I first found out about Stadium Events's value. My aunt had WCTM when I was a kid and I was like "HOLY CRAP, MY AUNT HAD THAT GAME" but then I found out about the different names and was like "Oh, nevermind."[/QUOTE]

There was a Funcoland I was at, (approx. 1997/8 when they sold the game for $1.99, and they had MULTIPLE COPIES and I was like who wants some terrible track game? (granted I was 7/8, which is why I missed out on earthbound, If only I had a time machine to strangle my younger self :D)

Edit: the only reason I remember was becuase they had both stadium events and World class tack meet, and I asked what the difference was.

[quote name='Macheezmo']Not a ton of sales today due to rain, but I got a couple things

pokemongames.jpg

Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Pearl
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda Four Swords
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Total Paid: $30

Sadly, I cannot get Yellow or Leaf Green to work at all. I get the gameboy logo, then just a blank screen and I've tried cleaning them both several times.

Also I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Greatest Hits for $3, but forgot to take a picture. I've been wanting to play this series for a while now.[/QUOTE]

I learned this trick from another CAG a while back - you can probably fix the Pokemon Yellow by opening the cart and putting a few index cards behind the circuit board for the game. When Gamestop refurbed their games, they used to sand down the contacts which means the contacts won't touch the GB's contacts as easily as they should. Propping the cart with index cards pushes the contacts out enough to hit the GB.

Found a Vectrex in the box for $5, but I decided to inform the seller of its actual value and I paid him double the full retail value instead...I then proceeded to paint the seller's house and mow his yard.

[quote name='Doomstink']I learned this trick from another CAG a while back - you can probably fix the Pokemon Yellow by opening the cart and putting a few index cards behind the circuit board for the game. When Gamestop refurbed their games, they used to sand down the contacts which means the contacts won't touch the GB's contacts as easily as they should. Propping the cart with index cards pushes the contacts out enough to hit the GB.[/QUOTE]

That totally worked!! That's awesome! Many thanks to you! One more trick to add to my arsenal.

Hit a couple of sales today:

Notable DVD buys:
How I Met Your Mother S1 $3
Married with Children Complete Series $10

One thing I passed on due to circumstance was a boxed N64 with the atomic purple controller: it was a sale with all proceeds going to Relay for Life. No prices on anything, just donations.

Since I had no need for it, I figured I'd let someone else have a nice find.

I give up, can't compete. Stopped by a bunch of sales, asked for games, and A) they looked at me like I'm homeless+begging and I had to explain that I don't ebay for a living and B) the guys who ebay for a living get there first thing in the morning.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']I give up, can't compete. Stopped by a bunch of sales, asked for games, and A) they looked at me like I'm homeless+begging and I had to explain that I don't ebay for a living and B) the guys who ebay for a living get there first thing in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way a lot; in two years I've only had two great findings; there are so many flippers in my area. But don't give up! It will happen! Try getting to every sale at least 15minutes early

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']I feel the same way a lot; in two years I've only had two great findings; there are so many flippers in my area. But don't give up! It will happen! Try getting to every sale at least 15minutes early[/QUOTE]

that'd require getting up at like 5AM on a weekend! At that point, i'll pay the dang collector prices :lol:

But I'll still hit them randomly if I see one and have the time.

But yeah, the hunt was way more fun in the early to mid 00s. :( Nowadays I have better luck F5ing newly listed item searches on ebay.

You do need to get there early but 5 am? Most sales start at 8 or 9. Get up at 7. If that is too early garage saling probably isnt for you. It isnt for everyone.

[quote name='Bing147']You do need to get there early but 5 am? Most sales start at 8 or 9. Get up at 7. If that is too early garage saling probably isnt for you. It isnt for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Many sales here start at 7. I used to get up at 6:30 for them.

bread's done
Back