2013 Yard Sale Thread

Got two good bundles this morning.

Went to a random sale and asked for games, they said they had a big box of games.. I couldn't believe it. I NEVER am the one to get the "big box of games"

Came out with a box with about 15 n64 games, and 3 controllers (2 name brand)

I asked how much they wanted since they didnt bring out the console, but they said oh you want that too? Ill go get it.

Came out with console. They were only asking $20 I paid and got a great deal.

Games were: mario party 2, diddy kong racing, banjo tooie, banjo kazooie, the most mint smash bros ive ever seen, no fading at all, goldeneye 007, mario 64, zelda oot, mario kart 64, paper mario and rayman 2. 2 name brand controllers and 1 offbrand.

Next I got a call back from someone I met at a yard sale who said they had an old nintendo box somewhere and theyd look for it.

They called me down and it was a SNES with secret of mana, street fighter 2, some trash games, mario world, 2 name brand controllers, original box / manual. And a supercope with game / box. Wanted $65 but I paid $50

Good day for me. I probably went to a total of 8 sales and got all this.

Edit: Oh and the SNES had original styrofoam and little plastic that the console came in too. Though the SNES is dirty ill have to clean it up. What does something like this go for? Ive never got a CiB console before. I imagine at least $80 or so /shrug

Ugh garage sales are starting to piss me off yet again. I've decided Ebay is a curse and a blessing at the same time. I almost have no problem missing stuff because of the people who make a living off buying stuff for ebay, but when people say they don't want to sell their Nintendo for less than $100 because they heard it's collectable and valuable I start to get pissed off. Some woman actually had an Atari 2600 with 15 loose games marked at $100.
WTF IS THAT SHIT? On ebay maybe a top rated seller with a great reputation could get 40-60 bucks for it, but 100???
Yet again it's a classic case of "if you want to get ebay money for it, you have to put in ebay work for it". It's funny how now I not only get excited when I see games marked at $2 a piece, but instantly respect the seller more than someone who individually prices them based on the highest priced active listing on ebay that they could find.
Then there's the people who "read about a woman who's Nintendo game was worth $15,000" (actually happened today!).
Ugh whatever I guess next time I'll have to get out earlier to beat the hardcore resellers, but I did beat em to a lime green gameboy color which I'm kinda psyched about because the gbc was awesome....

Had a similar situation a few years ago with a 2600. Lady was wanting $125 for an atari, 2 controllers, all hookups and 20 average games. I told her I normally see them for $20 and started to leave. She stopped me half way down the driveway and was offered everything for $25. Putting their expectations in place usually works except for people with extreme delusions of grandeur.

P.S., I have some finds to show later. :razz:

Got a Genesis model 1 HD graphics with six button controller and power cord for $10.

Picked up an n64 with 1 controller and Hey You Pikachu for $5
Perfect Dark at another sale for $2

I have spare AV cables at home, anyone have a cheap N64 power brick?

ended up stopping at a campground that had several campers having 'yard sales' picked up 6 movies for ~4

Lethal Weapon 4 to keep and 5 to take to Best Buy for U & S

Haha, thought this was awesome.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/gms/3770977794.html

How to post a garage sale ad on Craigslist (Anywhere)
When you put a garage sale ad on Craigslist please give your ad some thought. For example:

Put the part of town you're in in the "specific location" spot. No one who concentrates on midtown wants to read an ad for Gladstone. And vice versa.

Put your address in the ad. This should be a no-brainer, but... .

If you're having a sale Saturday starting at 8, for example, have your ad in well before the start of your sale. There's at least one sale listed today that was put in at 11:30 for a sale that started at 8. Most of us salers have our lists ready and are at the sales, so we won't see your ad.

The bottom line is put yourself in the place of the people who go to these sales. Plan ahead and don't waste our time or your time.

Decided to stop by a random garage sale today because the place I went for a haircut was too busy. I normally don't go to garage sales but I did for the heck of it. They were just about to close up the sale. It was the second day. I could only imagine what might have been there if I was there the first day.

Spent a total of $25

Sony PSP 1000 Fat Model
Liberty City Stories - PSP
Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition - PSP
Midnight Club LA Remix - PSP
Need for Speed Pro Street - PSP
World Championship Poker - PSP
Superbad - UMD Movie
Pineapple Express - UMD Movie
Stealth - UMD Movie
Lords of Dogtown - UMD Movie
Final Fantasy 12 Collectors Edition Guide Complete
Vandal Hearts Guide
Musashu Guide
Kingdom Hearts Guide
(2) Copies of Vampire Hunter D Art Book - One has broken binding but the other is mint

[quote name='Seraphinianus']I give up, can't compete. Stopped by a bunch of sales, asked for games, and A) they looked at me like I'm homeless+begging and I had to explain that I don't ebay for a living and B) the guys who ebay for a living get there first thing in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, I don't know how so many people have success asking people for games. The few time I have done it, people just look at me like I'm insane, and I'm way too self conscious to continue to try it.

Ugh I think I went to a fake sale today, the address didn't even exist, oh well it was 5 min from my house and there were only like 2 sales. I shouldn't be checking CL but pickings are slim this time of year. This had nothing to do with video games, I think people just post sales to mess with people or something.... It wasn't even a targeted ad, listed household stuff and misc .. If I am going to check CL I will have to do some research before I actually hit the sale.

[quote name='Eagle3ye']Ugh garage sales are starting to piss me off yet again. I've decided Ebay is a curse and a blessing at the same time. I almost have no problem missing stuff because of the people who make a living off buying stuff for ebay, but when people say they don't want to sell their Nintendo for less than $100 because they heard it's collectable and valuable I start to get pissed off. Some woman actually had an Atari 2600 with 15 loose games marked at $100.
WTF IS THAT SHIT? On ebay maybe a top rated seller with a great reputation could get 40-60 bucks for it, but 100???
Yet again it's a classic case of "if you want to get ebay money for it, you have to put in ebay work for it". It's funny how now I not only get excited when I see games marked at $2 a piece, but instantly respect the seller more than someone who individually prices them based on the highest priced active listing on ebay that they could find.
Then there's the people who "read about a woman who's Nintendo game was worth $15,000" (actually happened today!).
Ugh whatever I guess next time I'll have to get out earlier to beat the hardcore resellers, but I did beat em to a lime green gameboy color which I'm kinda psyched about because the gbc was awesome....[/QUOTE]

Oh yeh, a couple of weeks back I asked a guy at a sale about some games. Dude was 50 something. He said no then said "oh wait, I do. I have an atari but that thing is worth around $350 I'm not going to sell it at a garage sale". Ok buddy good luck with that.

[quote name='spmahn']I agree with this, I don't know how so many people have success asking people for games. The few time I have done it, people just look at me like I'm insane, and I'm way too self conscious to continue to try it.[/QUOTE]

My best finds have been by asking. I typically start by saying hello and start browsing what they have out. I will begin just making conversation about the weather or something generic while browsing. If I see video game stuff will ask if they have anything else or if nothing ask if they might have any old video game stuff laying around. Most cases people are pretty cool about it and if I get a moment of akwardness I just shrug it off and keep going.

I will admit I am a people person so I can shoot the shit with pretty much anyone. Haven't started the hunt this year yet because weather has been shit but I am looking forward to getting started.

[quote name='spmahn']I agree with this, I don't know how so many people have success asking people for games. The few time I have done it, people just look at me like I'm insane, and I'm way too self conscious to continue to try it.[/QUOTE]

Its all about how you do it. You can't just walk up and ask immediately. Say hi, be polite. Comment on the weather, spend a minute looking at their junk. Then kind of casually ask "you don't happen to have any video games or anything like that do you?" Most of the time they say no but once in awhile they do.

The season has been very slow to start here.

Today though, I hit up a community sale late and ended up with The Watchmen graphic novel for 50 cents. It is in fair condition, but I got it to read, not to sell. Still I could probably get a few bucks if I were to sell it.

Not much else in the other ones we hit. The next 3 weeks are all decent community sales for us, so I plan on getting some games, DVDs, musical instruments, or some light fixtures and antique furniture.

I saw a lot of $50-$100 fat PS2s today. No thanks.

I walked up to a box that had a PS1 and PSone in it. The price on the box was $30 for both systems and all the games. Well, I didn't need even more Playstations, so I started sorting through the games. I spotted a black label Final Fantasy VII. I immediately asked the woman running the sale if she would sell it separately.

In my head, I was willing to offer $5 for it. I figured its value was making up most of the $30 price tag because the rest of the games were pretty shitty. After I asked, she quickly responded with "Yes, he (her son, I'm guessing) said he'd take $1 per game". Sweet. So I grabbed that, and pulled out Justice League Heroes and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for PS2 (not sure why they were in a box with PS1 systems). $3 wasn't bad for those three games. The FFVII is near mint.

At another sale, I found the Nintendo Power strategy guides for Yoshi's Story, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64 for $1 each. I figured they were worth that to add to the collection.

I stopped at a sale advertising 3DS and DS games yesterday morning. When I got there though, all they had was Cooking Mama, one other crappy title, and Zelda OoT 3d. Zelda was at 20, which was still a deal, so I grabbed that. While my buddy was looking through some Pokemon cards there I got to talking with the woman running the sale and I just told her I was interested in games. Long story short, it paid off for me. I got:

FFIX (Black Label)
FFVIII (Black Label)
Yugioh Forbidden Memories (Manual and Disc)
Zelda: Four Swords (Gamecube) Side Note: When I opened this, I found a disc only copy of Wind Waker inside too :)

For a total of $33. Not the most killer score, but I don't own any of these myself so they will probably just go in my collection and on my Trade List. Also, the whole time we were talking she kept mentioning all these NES games she had. Eventually she brought them out, and there were like 200-300 of them. I cherry picked:

Castlevania
Castlevania II
Mega Man II
Kirby's Adventure
Bible Adventures
Pac-Man
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II
Double Dragon II
Double Dragon III
TMNT II
Contra
Super C

I got them at $5 a piece, which isn't terribly great but she started looking them up lol.

TL;DR: It pays to ask for video games.

First pic - All Ps2 games $1.00 each, as well as Dragonball z, FFVII and Vagarnt Story. The rest of the ps1 games were bundles with ps1 systems that I paid $20 for. The rest of the ps1 games are just sports and other generic titles. Game boy CIB - $10 super mario CIB - $1.00
The sp and gba I bundled with a PS2 for $20 total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Second pic - Sega genesis cib with all the games - $10. the two tegen games are factory sealed. Atari - $4.00 the xbox 360 games were $25 for them all.

Third pic - Plug Play baseball at goodwill - $15.00 nib, Star wars electronic game nib $5.00 pokemon guides $1.00 each. Plug and play mortal kombat & Street fighter $4.00 total

This stuff I picked up today after going to a garage sale. The lady was cleaning out her son's "clutter" as she called it because he had too much stuff, and he's currently out of town, so she took the opportunity to hold a garage sale and dump her son's things into the garage sale too. There was a box marked $1, which was filled with mostly junk, but then I saw a stack of games next to the box and asked the lady how much the games were. She looked over at the box and saw it was marked $1, so I wasn't sure if she might have thought I just dug those out of the box or not, but she just told me she'd be willing to do $10 for everything. Needless to say I made out like a bandit for $10. ^__^
photodto.jpg

All complete with the exception of Totori, and Dynasty Warriors 7, Falling Stars, and Naruto are still sealed.

Huzzah! :3

I'm sure when the son gets back in town he will begin his man hunt for me, lol.

Been on vacation so I didn't sale the past couple weeks but here is my 1 sale I actually found stuff at:

8686918757_d3f7792f34_z.jpg

We were just about to the ship for boarding in Galveston. I saw this sale advertised and checked it out. Glad I did! They had tons of games but nothing stellar. I did manage to pick the following though:

Dungeon Siege III (360)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Xenosaga Episode I

They came out to supposed to be $15 but I talked her down to $7. Dungeon Seige came in handy later as you'll see...

[quote name='Squarehard']This stuff I picked up today after going to a garage sale. The lady was cleaning out her son's "clutter" as she called it because he had too much stuff, and he's currently out of town, so she took the opportunity to hold a garage sale and dump her son's things into the garage sale too. There was a box marked $1, which was filled with mostly junk, but then I saw a stack of games next to the box and asked the lady how much the games were. She looked over at the box and saw it was marked $1, so I wasn't sure if she might have thought I just dug those out of the box or not, but she just told me she'd be willing to do $10 for everything. Needless to say I made out like a bandit for $10. ^__^
photodto.jpg

All complete with the exception of Totori, and Dynasty Warriors 7, Falling Stars, and Naruto are still sealed.

Huzzah! :3

I'm sure when the son gets back in town he will begin his man hunt for me, lol.[/QUOTE]
Her son's going to be pissed when he gets back :p

I've been oversleeping the last couple weekends since garage sales started and getting out too late. I did find one sale with a box of 25 cent gospel DVDs. I picked all those up for the Best Buy trade in a DVD, get a $5 blu-ray coupon deal.

Same sale had two PSX games mixed in with their 25 cent CDs, so I grabed those. Complete copies of Tomb Raider and Tekken, nothing outstanding.

They also had 4 Caterprillar Pepsi glasses for a nickel each. I picked those up and they turned out to be worth about $10 each on Ebay. Sometimes it helps to collect other stuff to pay for your gas money.

May marks the true start of garage sale season, so if I can drag myself out of bed this weekend, I should finally get some good finds.

the really insane thing is that the people that want ridiculous ebay prices always have stuff that isn't really worth anything and the people that sell games for 50 cents each are the ones that always end up having something harder to find. I got a bunch of ps1 RPGs for $1 each once and earlier that same day someone wanted $500 for an atari 7800 with 3 crappy 2600 games...they even had this big fancy paper printed out with the history of the system as if that somehow justified the price. Whenever I see that crap I just say "Sorry, I don't pay ebay prices at yard sales", its like a nice way of telling them "this isn't ebay you dumbass"

[quote name='Mirpkered']We were just about to the ship for boarding in Galveston. I saw this sale advertised and checked it out. Glad I did! They had tons of games but nothing stellar. [/QUOTE]

Magic? We were on the Magic a year ago, and just got back from a caribbean cruise on the Mariner a couple weeks ago.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Magic? We were on the Magic a year ago, and just got back from a caribbean cruise on the Mariner a couple weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Yup! It was really a great time! I plan on doing it again. They are dry-docking the Magic this fall for a complete overhaul.

[quote name='Bing147']You do need to get there early but 5 am? Most sales start at 8 or 9. Get up at 7. If that is too early garage saling probably isnt for you. It isnt for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Have to get up + eat/shower, then about an hour or more drive to the suburbs where all the sales are. if the sale starts at 8, that's 5:30-6am for me...i'm a gradual waking kind of person. :)

but i've since recovered from my whining...a bad day of game shopping will do that.

edit: found one that sounds quite promising and in a super rich suburb starting on Friday, so maybe I'll get lucky

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mirpkered']Yup! It was really a great time! I plan on doing it again. They are dry-docking the Magic this fall for a complete overhaul.[/QUOTE]
Really? Damn ship is one of the newest in their fleet, not even 3 years old. Anyway, our cruise on the Mariner this year wasn't near as fun as the last year on the Magic. The Magic has soooo much more to do for the younger crowd (although I'll be 39 this year, I still like to think I'm young) than the Mariner. We really enjoyed the nightly comedy acts and the main shows were better as well. Not sure when, but we will definitely go again.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from? We drove about 12 hours down from KS to Galveston.

EDIT: N/M, I see you're from MO.

[quote name='Eoji']I wonder if Xenoblade still holds any value?....

[/QUOTE]

uh...spammy message aside, yes, xenoblade goes for $100 disc only.

I got behind with posting most of what I found in 2012 and just recently got around to uploading all of the pictures.

Auctions - http://imgur.com/a/vb7hO

Craigslist - http://imgur.com/a/ykkqz

Flea Market - http://imgur.com/a/CGK7n

Misc Stuff - http://imgur.com/a/as0OT

Yardsales - http://imgur.com/a/TG9yf

I will note that 1) imgur seems to delete any blank lines (which was the only problem I had with imgur as a means of hosting all of these pictures) and 2) I didn't double check everything I typed up so if anything is messed and doesn't make sense that is most likely why. Proof reading all of this in bulk is just too much for a guy like me who is better with numbers then letters.

Some Hightlights -
Gargoyle's Quest II, SX-64, Wacky Races, JVC X-Eyes (with matching controller and the correct AC adpater), Snatcher, Tropical Trouble (Complete) & Halloween (2600 with manual).

2donx5.jpg
c2ohf.jpg

2 GameCube Games, 2 Wii Games And A DS Action Replay Disc (Disc Only = Mario And Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games) - 6
Nintendo 64 With 3 Games - 3
Xbox With 3 1st Controllers, AV Cord & Dongle For Remote (Not Pictured) - 5
NES, SNES & N64 (With 4 Meg Expansion) All With Controllers, Hookups & Games - 60

Found the GC & Wii games at the first sale of the year, actually had a PS2 out for sale and I asked the kid about video games and he brought out 2 CD wallets with the games in them. Wanted a buck a GC game and 2 per a Wii game and I got the Action Replay disc added. I asked about cases and as luck would have it he brought out cases for 3 of the games but no manuals. The $3 N64 was asking price pretty early on at the 3rd sale of the day and included the 3 games towards the top of the picture. Xbox was asking price. The rest of the stuff was brought out at a sale when I asked about old video games. Wanted me to make an offer which was taken.

Non Find BS -
Was out from about 8 to 12 and got to 24 sales. Two sales that started on Friday hinted at something that I missed, one mentioned "Game Boys" and another "video games".

One sale I could see a table set up in the garage behind everything else and I asked about it and if it was more stuff for sale and they said they were GI Joes but that they weren't for sale. Never had this happen to me and seemed like a dick move to be sorting this stuff out within eye sight while the sale is going on. Saw a few systems that weren't too cheap but not too expensive (Last gen stuff PS2, Wii, DS, PSP). The only item that was clearly overpriced was a N64 with 1 controller, hookups, 4 meg expansion pack, memory card & Mario Kart 64. With said system was a piece of paper which I just kind of glanced over that had the math done up for yardsalers to see what the price was on amazon like 60 is a great price to snag an N64 for at a yardsale. The total was not too far over 100 and I only recall Mario Kart 64 being weighted in at 30. I picked up Mario Kart 64 noticed the label looked faded and washed out with the worst looking contacts I have ever seen on an N64 game, lots of black shit and even a little green and white (mold?) like you see sometimes on N64 games that have been poorly stored for a long time.

At the big sale of the day a plastic bin was brought out which also had a Genesis Model 1 with a few games and a Playstation with about a dozen games (only remember Gauntlet Legends, Crash Bandicoot and I think one of the Spyro games in the mix. Only a few Genesis games to which I only recall one of the Sonics and a CIB Super Hang On which I should have grabbed. When I got home I realized that the guy most have put back a spare jumper pak and a rumble pak he must not have realized went with the N64.

Found 5 guitars for 360 and a drum set yesterday with 4 guitar hero games for a total of $66. I've been selling guitars for $40 each so works for me. Anyone have any experience selling drums? Not sure how to ship those lol.

[quote name='Sivarticus']Found 5 guitars for 360 and a drum set yesterday with 4 guitar hero games for a total of $66. I've been selling guitars for $40 each so works for me. Anyone have any experience selling drums? Not sure how to ship those lol.[/QUOTE]
you're selling RB/GH guitars for $40/each? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

So tomorrow will be the official start of garage sales.. its going to be 70-80. And they have few community sales all going the same time.. i have no clue where to go?! its a crap shoot to I'm avoiding all the video game ads on craigslist and just hitting up everything i see.

[quote name='Sivarticus']Found 5 guitars for 360 and a drum set yesterday with 4 guitar hero games for a total of $66. I've been selling guitars for $40 each so works for me. Anyone have any experience selling drums? Not sure how to ship those lol.[/QUOTE]
Where are you selling guitars for that much? The last GH guitar I sold went for 35 and that included the dongle. I recently sold some Rock Band drums and shipping it wasn't as hard as i thought. I had a big box in my garage that fit the drum pads perfectly and everything else fit disassembled underneath it. I used bubblewrap to fill in the gaps and it was pretty sturdy.

[quote name='trollape74']Where are you selling guitars for that much? The last GH guitar I sold went for 35 and that included the dongle. I recently sold some Rock Band drums and shipping it wasn't as hard as i thought. I had a big box in my garage that fit the drum pads perfectly and everything else fit disassembled underneath it. I used bubblewrap to fill in the gaps and it was pretty sturdy.[/QUOTE]

How did you get $35 for the guitars? I was about to donate the two I found at a yard sale to Salvation Army.

Got a 15 inch Trinitron Tube TV. Looks awesome on my desk for PS2/SNES stuff through component.

Also a 27 inch or so Trinitron HD tube - the 720p/1080i type from 2004-2005 or so. Super heavy but should be a great setup for fighting games and older games. I have always wanted one.

I paid about $4 for the smaller tv and $15 for the larger HD tube.

8706753481_ddc37c1507_z.jpg

This was the first sale I went to that I almost didn't I drove farther than I thought and saw the sign for this sale. I walked up and saw that there were rock band drums and guitars there. After looking for I also found an N64 with goldeneve. The guy came over to me and asked if I was looking for anything else and I told him games. He said that he had some SNES games upstairs and told me they were $1 each. so I picked out Firepower 2000 and Castlevania IV. After all was said and done we agree on $10 for everything. So recap:

Rock Band wired drum set (x2)
Rock Band Wired Guitar
N64 system with power
N64 controller
NES RF adapter
Goldeneye (N64)
Firepower 2000 (SNES)
Castlevania IV (SNES)

8706748133_28bd3af967_z.jpg

This was a cool find for Avin. Picked up the Dragonology book for $1. Also has the model you can put together. I know what we'll be doing this afternoon.

8706751165_0c2387c3c2_z.jpg

This was a sale out of the way but for what I got, it was worth it. I ended up finding the UPS right off and picked it up and then I asked if they had games. The lady running the sale went in and brought out a box of atari games and said make an offer. I offered $4 for the games and UPS and she was OK with that. I ended up with:

Super Breakout
Street Racer
Asteroids (x2)
Gorf
Night Driver
Space War
Warlords
Missle Command
Haunted House
Basketball
Combat (x2)
Pac-Man (x2)
Star Raiders
Superman
Donkey Kong
Ice Hockey
Cosmic Ark

AND 1 MYSTERY GAME!!!!!!!!

Once again, for $4 not bad.

Walked pretty far from my home to check out a few yard sales in an area I rarely frequent. It was a pretty nice walk, due to the nice weather. Most of the yard sales were a bust, but I found a pretty cool one. The seller had plenty of vinyl records, most of which was 80s music including Poison, Foreignor, the Xanadu soundtrack, for $1 each.If I had a record player and a decent place to store them, I'd have snapped them up in an instant. The sign did say video games, but they were all Gamecube games, three for $12. So I picked:
Kirby's Air Ride
Luigi's Mansion
my third copy of Mario Kart Double Dash.
All were complete, though the discs were scratched a bit. They all played great on the Gamecube. I rarely find such deals in the area, as most people couldn't really give two pennies about video games.

[quote name='jer7583']Got a 15 inch Trinitron Tube TV. Looks awesome on my desk for PS2/SNES stuff through component.

Also a 27 inch or so Trinitron HD tube - the 720p/1080i type from 2004-2005 or so. Super heavy but should be a great setup for fighting games and older games. I have always wanted one.

I paid about $4 for the smaller tv and $15 for the larger HD tube.[/QUOTE]

i need a smaller trinitron like that! Does it have S-video in? Some of the smaller ones don't

Got a few things today:
Nightmare Before Christmas 3 disc collector's edition $2
Mulan $1 (My wife loves Disney cartoons.)
Assassin's Creed PS3 $5 (Never played it, complete in good shape)
Incredible Hulk PS3 $3

Some good cookies $2

Kept hearing at EVERY sale either "yeah I put up an ad on craiglist advertising this sale and I said I had video games and someone emailed me and came and bought them all as soon as I put the ad up" OR I would ask about games and I would hear "wow you are like the 10th person today to ask us if we have games....they must be worth a lot of money!" UGH! It really sucks to hear that at a huge neighborhood sale because then you already know in advance that several people have already been through and picked through all the games at every other house. I also started hearing a new one, "yeah someone came and bought out nearly everything I had as soon as I brought everything out " The competition from flea market vendors here is so ridiculous I don't know if I will even bother going to any sales this year. I don't care as much if another collector buys the stuff, but when some old man with a huge beer belly in his overalls and broke down cargo van buys everything up then it just sits in his flea market booth at double the ebay price and rots in the heat it really pisses me off for some reason (yeah I realize at the end of the day it doesn't really make any difference). I just imagine how many really rare games are sitting in the bottom of an old rubbermaid container in a storage shed, full of water and mold, covered with 1000 copies of mario/duck hunt and sports games and no one will ever get to have them

yeah, it's frustrating. Eventually those flea market sellers will realize they can't hold onto things forever. Retro games can't stay expensive and in demand forever either. I think it's a big boom right now because this generation has gone on so long and people are going into the past for things to play.

I know what you mean, though. I'm actually being part of a rummage next week with some family members, and along with some other junk, i'm clearing out some of the games i don't really need and are older, or PC games that can't be resold for any value.

I'm going to just post the craigslist ad as having SNES, NES, PC games and accessories and see what kind of emails from douchebags I get.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']i need a smaller trinitron like that! Does it have S-video in? Some of the smaller ones don't[/QUOTE]

no, but fortunately at that size the difference between composite and S-Video isn't huge. Especially if you have a SNES Jr. Those machines are some kind of magic, it's the clearest Composite signal I've ever seen.

I'm working on component modding an older SNES that's actually a launch model with the encoder chip. It's harder than it seems and there's a lot of confusing information.

This is the TV
WP_20130504_001_zpsc0308f3a.jpg

SNES Jr over composite signal. It's really good for composite, but still shows all the bleeding and softness of the image.
WP_20130504_002_zps0c80448e.jpg

WP_20130504_004_zps4dcd98ad.jpg

This is the PS2 over Component. Much sharper, going to be nic e to play PS1 games on this.

WP_20130503_003_zps2cab3ac4.jpg

Last edited:
I tried using the component video cables on my Trinitron, but it made me want to mess with my TV's settings, which were fine for years. The sharpness of it hurt my eyes.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I tried using the component video cables on my Trinitron, but it made me want to mess with my TV's settings, which were fine for years. The sharpness of it hurt my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's for sure different than you remember it. There's something to be said about the lower fidelity being part of the experience, especially if you're going to the trouble of having a CRT, but I do enjoy having nicer colors and sharpness. Gradius 3 looks amazing over component on PS2.

I'm probably going to try this Component mod on this SNES i got at a thrift shop for $10, and if it works out, awesome, if not, i'll go back to my S-Video which is easy and really, "good enough" for me. There are a lot of people on forums like assemblergames, sega-16, and nesdev that get so far up their own ass about image quality and spend so much time worrying over it that it just gets to be nonsense. If you really want the clearest image quality use BSNES and be done with it.

[quote name='Andami']Ebay? Guitars can sell up to $60, but only if they're Xbox 360. Wii and PS3 instruments generally sell for less.[/QUOTE]
Well guess there's my answer, I keep the 360 guitars since that's my preferred console. I was driving to pick up my brother from the library and I stopped at garage sale on the way. Found Leaf Green for a buck so that's pretty good. That's my second cart only copy so I can one and put that towards a boxed copy :D

bread's done
Back