2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Picked up an original 3ds for 27 bucks from my local savers. But it was some other story here that interested me more...

As I take it up to purchase, the cashier (manager) says "wow thats a good condition one!" "oh its a 3ds too?! wow that should have been priced much higher. These things go for $300." "I politely corrected her by saying, "well I mean they dont actually go for $300..." She started telling me how she just bought her child one and it didnt have a charger etc...and it was $300. I wanted to say I didnt even know if it worked etc...but I just saved my breath.

Anywho this story perfectly highlights what is wrong with thrift stores today; everyone thinks they have million dollar items and/or $300 3ds' on their shelves...Le Sigh...
Wow. That's a rip off. They weren't even worth that much when I got one. $179 at most then. Now not even close to that.

Gotta check every game at Goodwill. I found Skyward Sword in a Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter games for wii for $3.

Picked up:
New Super Marios Bros $4
Super Mario 64 $4
Mario Vs Donkey Kong $4
3 Pokemom Game Boy Games $6/$8

Things I saw but did not buy:
Street Fighter Joystick Xbox 360 $100
PS3 Slim with no controllers/cords = $20
GTA V 360 $6
Resident Evil 2 (no manual) $6
Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby's Epic Yarn $6 each
Pitfall SNES $10

bCU5lw6.jpg

SnCEP2I.jpg
zcdlUVh.jpg
gHDCx5m.jpg
ddhyyjG.jpg
6rfDGqS.jpg
MKnb3DX.jpg
PzKy1Kc.jpg
Nice finds. Your goodwill has some nice stuff. I wish the ones around me had some of the stuff you posted.

Didn't find shit today, but my fiance ran out to a different thrift after her doctor appointment and came home with a CIB 32X (with Doom) for $10.  She made my day!

You people and your Nintendo finds! None of my small thrifts had anything so I stopped by Goodwill since it was on the way home. $3 apiece, Devil Kings is missing the manual everything else is complete. LCBT might not work, Ill have to deep buff it at work but it looks like its got one of those disc bubbles.

Nice little flip I found at the local public library book store of all places, stashed somewhere in between some old useless PC software for $0.50.  It's sealed, otherwise it wouldn't be worth much mentioning.

Just surprised I found something of value in there.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a tease! Stopped at GW after work to see if anymore Playstation stuff showed up and they have a SNES ac adapter and rf adapter in the glass case.......I assume there was no system because they wouldnt have put any of that out front if that was the case. I grabbed the AC adapter for $4....dont have a system to test it on though.

Aside from some of the cool hauls I already posted, thrifting has been dead for over a month. There's a few things here and there worth mentioning, though.
Nehehe. Funny how the winds of change blow. Desolate one day, explosive the next. This first set of pictures was from one GW, all got in one day. I'm still reeling.

NeAHvBU.jpg

Say what you want, I think this was the true prize of not just the day, but the week. I know what you're thinking. I was thinking it too. "It's empty."

rJflCzS.jpg

Nope! Tons of cards. They are all in mint condition. I'm not bragging. They literally look right out of the pack/tin. Sin Stardust Dragon, Tech Genus Halberd Cannon, Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, Psychic Gusto and Vylon cards out the yin-yang, Gemknights, Gishiki, and much more. I play a bit. Not with anyone anymore, but I still make decks. No matter what these are worth, I'm keeping them. Finds like these are fun and I value them. Funny thing is, the cards that aren't in the foil were in this red Deck Box container. Nothing strange about that, but the thing was filthy on the outside. Looks like someone threw up on it. Or worse. I of course threw it out as soon as I could. Makes me wonder why it was so filthy but everything else was so pristine. And the price? Must have cost quite a pretty penny, no?

YricYGQ.jpg

Nehehehehehehehehe... What a score...

aannRVr.jpg

Next is this. The Wii Sports Resort is as marked, and the Wii Sports with it was in the case as well, but they charged me separately for that. So that was $1. The other Wii Sports was in the Wii. The Wiimote has that old Wii Motion Plus add-on, before it became built-in. Everything is filthy as usual and needs a good cleaning. As for PS1 memory card, I have no idea. I found it in the bag with the Wii when I got home. Guess the employee thought it went with the console.

GHwfsiP.jpg

Prices are crazy. They consistently try to sell Original Xboxs for $40, and I saw a Gamecube with no cables or controllers for $30 a few months ago, and then I get this.

RCmqP8v.jpg

This is the last of what I got in that one day. The N64 controller is a Madcatz one. $5. A little steep, but I have a N64 with no hookups, so now I at least have a controller. Now I just need some A/V cables and a power supply. The GPS is a Garmin Streetpilot c330. It was $6. That should make some cash on the bay.

C73rnLV.jpg

Got this the next day. Most thrift stores have dirty books with them looking like someone ate while reading or maybe used a hardcover book as a football. *sigh* But this was in very good condition. $.50 a book, so $3.50 for the lot. Not bad. I didn't have any of the Chronicles of Narnia books and wanted them, so this was nice. Once I finish the Wheel of Time and read through the Eragon books completely this time, this is next on my list.

pXukmMc.jpg

This is the last of it, found a few days after the other stuff. All of this was from the same GW. The FIFA game was in with the book section, just lying there. Swiped it for $1. I'm sure the American releases of the Cardcaptor Sakura manga were butchered and censored beyond belief like the anime was, but for $.50, I couldn't say no. Nice bit of nostalgia there. I may have a problem.

went to the outlet again.. found a bunch of ps2 games a couple wii games a couple GameCube games and best of all? Super Smash Bros Melee...
oh yea and a GBA SP power cord which is awesome because I was down one

i had a nice score today. these games were $5 each  and time crisis is nib. they were games i didn't have that i thought would be fun to play.

i got those games because i got the rest of the games in these two pics for $1 each. some are doubles but the labels are in better condition and just could not pass up games for a dollar.

cant remember the last time i got so many old games for cheap. going back to see if they put out any more decent titles this weekend. i left a few sport titles so i might pick them up if i dont find anything else this weekend.

I finally found me a working GBA SP for $8. 

dBpBh0Y.jpg

Other stuffs I saw:

Xbox one GTA V $30

Dirt Rally PS4 $30

Japanese Sega Mega Drive 16-bit for $50

Zelda Twilight Princess $6

A super rare, one of a kind Pokemon Mini PS1 system $25

OdezdSf.jpg

OPa60TH.jpg

leEG7AY.jpg

jt4bOBN.jpg

It is the failed attempt at a partnership between Nintendo and Sony. First was the Nintendo PlayStation now it's the Sony SNES.
I know about the failed partnerships, but damn, that thing looks bootleg as all hell. Pikachu doesn't look right, "Pika-Boy," console looks fake, "to have a good time for family." I don't even...

13460950_1124828650893501_1658887328_o.jpg

One of my local goodwills, thinks every game is the same, so all of the games coming out now are 4.99. Picked these up at that price

13230832_1101155526594147_512657684_o.jpg

A local thrift shop got in about 100 nes games one day. They posted it on facebook 10 minutes before they closed. Got there too late that

night. Went the next morning, 3 minutes after they opened, and a buddy of mine was already there, with a stack of 10 games in front of him. Now this store used to sell all their games on ebay, so they do price their stuff out that way, but my buddy caught them pricing mega man 1 for 10 bucks. These are the games i got, with Jackie Chan being the pricey one. I did have a 30% off coupon so it dropped the price a bit on it, so i figured i'd buy it, since i don't see it around much. Most games a few bucks each, mega mans around 20 each if i remember right, and jackie chan around 50 something with the coupon

13128788_1096893713686995_1448202190_o.jpg

Local thrift had a 50% off sale going on. Picked up most of the nes games for a few bucks each except zelda and contra. 

Pokemon dsi and color were around 30 bucks after sale

^no joke! Never see any decent Nintendo games/systems around here anymore. All the GWs send them to the online site and none of my small thrift insiders have had anything for me lately.

I got this stuff. Sega Genesis model 2 ac adapter, rf adapter, and some PS2 adapter for $1 apiece. Controllers were $3 apiece, PS2 controller was missing a pin in the plug.....my attempt to use the extender plug was fail so that went to the garbage. Can anyone tell me what the PS adapter goes to. I assume some type of remote, its not the Logitech one. The Mercedes car was $6.

Found a sealed copy of Dragon Quest IX at Goodwill the other day. Haven't been there in a while and didn't expect to find anything, but I'll take it.

i got around to cleaning my sega genesis i got for $1 each. the pins on each game were all corroded and made them unplayable so i had to use brasso to polish the pins. it took a while but got all of them to work but i am having trouble with this cart. does anyone know how to open a genesis cart with this kind of screw. i want to clean it but have no idea what bit or screwdriver can open it.

Torx security bit. They're a damn pain in the ass. You'll probably have to order a screwdriver for it. You may be able to turn it with a small flat head screwdriver if you can wedge it in between the tab and two of the points of the star, but I make no guarantees.

Unfortunately not. The majority of carts I've dealt with of the Nintendo variety take a special socket, but it sold as a bit. I'd just look for Nintendo socket bit on eBay. I want to say they are a 3.8mm but I'm not 100%.

You can obtain one for relatively cheap, but I'd look for a bundle with the Nintendo socket bits, and a triwing screwdriver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371659530544

I'd suggest this.

Unfortunately not. The majority of carts I've dealt with of the Nintendo variety take a special socket, but it sold as a bit. I'd just look for Nintendo socket bit on eBay. I want to say they are a 3.8mm but I'm not 100%.

You can obtain one for relatively cheap, but I'd look for a bundle with the Nintendo socket bits, and a triwing screwdriver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371659530544

I'd suggest this.
Got a triwing already.Think its either 3.8mm or 4.5mm, but not sure

They are all right. The picture posted is for the driver bit but the other 2 bits I posted are for the socket style. They weren't really at a single standard yet on carts at that time I felt so a lot of manufacturers did their own thing.

I paid about $7 at Wal-Mart for a screwdriver set with a buttload of bits in different sizes. Sadly security Torx wasn't included.

Harbor freight has a torx security multitool for 5 bucks or so. I use it all the time to fix up and clean 360 controllers.

That said, I've been off cag for awhile and will still be (this is a rare post) because I'm dealing with major anxiety and depression issues. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self in a week or so.

Try not to miss me too much.

Harbor freight has a torx security multitool for 5 bucks or so. I use it all the time to fix up and clean 360 controllers.

That said, I've been off cag for awhile and will still be (this is a rare post) because I'm dealing with major anxiety and depression issues. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self in a week or so.

Hope u doing alright.

Take care. Hope all is well.

https://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ%22%5Dhttps://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ%22%5Dhttps://youtu.be/WlBiLNN1NhQ%22%5D"]

Take care. Hope all is well.

Edit: can't figure out how to display the video... It's Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."
Just post the link, don't add any code to it like [ url]. The forum will automatically embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Was really surprised at how many decent games the local Goodwill had today. Usually they have just sports crap. All games are complete and discs are really nice. Unfortunately I get no signal on my phone in a few local Goodwills so I have to wing it when I buy video games from memory. So they aren't all winners but for the price which I believe came out to $27 and change it was a good pickup day.

[attachment=23225:20160808_212732.jpg][attachment=23226:20160808_212835.jpg]

[attachment=23227:20160808_213027.jpg][attachment=23228:20160808_212535.jpg]

Dreamcast Games

Hydro Thunder .99

Trick Style .99

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation .99

Seaman .99

Virtua Striker 2 .99

Crazy Taxi .99

Test Drive Le Mans .99

Ps1

Final Fantasy Origins 1.99

Final Fantasy IX 1.99

Crash Bash 1.99

Crash Warped 1.99

Ps2

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows 1.99

Crash: Wrath of Cortex 1.99

Wii

Smarty Pants 1.99

Active Life Outdoor Challenge 1.99

Xbox

Metal Arms 1.99

PC

My Little Pony: Friendship Gardens .99

Hallmark Card Studio 2006 Deluxe (New, Sealed) .99

I Also was able to add to my Silent Hill collection, grabbed 3 games at one time for reasonable prices at Half Price Books.

[attachment=23229:20160808_211002.jpg][attachment=23230:20160808_211353.jpg]

Silent Hill 2,3, and 4 The Room all for 14.99 each. Also X-Men: Legends in clearance section for $2. All complete and excellent condition.

bread's done
Back