360 Dashboard Update - 31 October 2006

[quote name='thrustbucket']They did talk about this a month ago.

Very few games will support 1080p, and don't expect to see as much eye candy when they do. Most people feel 1080p gaming isn't THAT much better to justify the hit in performance.[/QUOTE]

Ya, the proble is..a month ago. Where were they when this system just came out and they were promoting 720 P and 1080 I as the future.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']WHERE ARE MY #%$!*(^ CHAT ROOMS?!!!!

Very happy about the improved voice quality though.[/quote]

yea .. is it still not possible to chat with more than one person at a time??? wtf

[quote name='guyver2077']yea .. is it still not possible to chat with more than one person at a time??? wtf[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling they intentionally don't want this. Maybe they feel millions of people sitting around in voice-chat rooms would be a bandwidth concern.

[quote name='BREVITY']Apossum, I am not home to test either but tell me what you think of that one you posted.[/QUOTE]

I'm testing a vid right now and it seems to be miles ahead of videora.

for one thing, there's a TON of options to customize, along with a menu for plug-ins if you're into that. Also, there's an option for HD quality vid (which videora may have under a different name, not sure.)

looks like it takes about an hour to encode to DVD quality vid and CD quality audio.

my only complaint is that you can't adjust how much RAM it uses while it encodes. I'd like to be able to switch it to high priority when I leave my computer, but low while I'm browsing so it doesn't keep hanging up. Small gripe though.

so yeah, I'd go with Windows Media Encoder.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have a feeling they intentionally don't want this. Maybe they feel millions of people sitting around in voice-chat rooms would be a bandwidth concern.[/quote]

strange though when original xbox still supports more than one user in a chat room

[quote name='guyver2077']strange though when original xbox still supports more than one user in a chat room[/QUOTE]

Oh does it? I didn't know that.

Definitely something Major should address.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Oh does it? I didn't know that.

Definitely something Major should address.[/QUOTE]

he already did in a previous netcast/podcast.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Has anyone tried this?
http://runtime360.com/projects/transcode-360/

Supposedly it converts files to wmv on the fly, while streaming to the xbox.[/QUOTE]

Right now I am pretty sure that Transcode-360 is Media Center Edition only. I have some of my son's DVDs ripped to my HD and encoded in Divx - would be nice to have some on-the-fly transcoding.

lol tomorrow I will figure out if my clearance TV will has 1080p or doesn't, I'm leaning towards the doesn't.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']1080 P Resoultion? Well thats friggin Bullcrap...Why couldnt microsoft let us know that future games could be in 1080 P...i would of waited 6 monthes to buy a TV in 1080 P when it dropped in price...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Barely any of the 1080p TV's that have been released can even handle 1080p via component signals. Most require either HDMI or DVI to run 1080p which regrettably the Xbox 360 doesn't offer right now (if ever).

Im a tad lost on how transcoder works... I downloaded it, but what now? its running in my taskbar...

Also, how do you get the update for the 360? Do you log in and it auto downloads?

[quote name='gizmogc']Wow! What an update! It fixed a lot of annoyances and includes some great new features. One of my favorites has to be:

· Gamers can now play video files from data CDs and DVDs, as well as from storage devices like USB 2.0 flash drives and Xbox 360 Memory Units.[/QUOTE]

What kind of video files?! Im assuming only .wmv >_>

[quote name='thrustbucket']Just wish they did the same thing for demos.[/QUOTE]

Regularly downloading a 30-54MB MS Arcade demo is a lot easier to fit on a 20GB HDD then multiple 500MB demos.

[quote name='elsnow77']i really like that auto download trial thing[/quote]

I was kind of confused about this. Does it mean that Arcade demos will automatically download whenever they become available on XBL?
If so, I don’t know what I think about that.

Hopefully, there will be an option to turn this feature off.

I'm surprised... they took my idea for fast loading of the XBLA list... I had yet to see anyone else request it... hooray! Finally :roll: it was probably the most annoying aspect for me since I play arcade games primarily.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I was kind of confused about this. Does it mean that Arcade demos will automatically download whenever they become available on XBL?
If so, I don’t know what I think about that.

Hopefully, there will be an option to turn this feature off.[/QUOTE]

yes it ask you in the dash automatic or manual

I'm loving the option to turn off notifications while watching DVDs.

Sure, you could turn off notifications, but now you have the option to only turn them off during DVDs. This is great because I sometimes forget to turn them back on.

So we can finally stream videos from PCs to the 360 without XP media center edition?

Granted, its only WMV... shitty MS... I'm glad I have a second computer to run stupid crap like the WMC for MP3s.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
Hopefully, there will be an option to turn this feature off.[/QUOTE]
It's going to be a feature you have to turn on.

Just leave it off if you don't want to use it.

Gamers can now play video files from data CDs and DVDs, as well as from storage devices like USB 2.0 flash drives and Xbox 360 Memory Units.

Does this mean I can plug my iPod in and play videos?!?

I doubt it but it's worth a shot.

[quote name='kennistond']Does this mean I can plug my iPod in and play videos?!?

I doubt it but it's worth a shot.[/quote]

Not a chance.

ipods use Apple Lossless and QuackTime.

And I was complaining over the weekend that I couldn't stream Hellsing Ultimate over to my 360... this coming weekend just got a whole lot better!

[quote name='kennistond']Does this mean I can plug my iPod in and play videos?!?

I doubt it but it's worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

if you have .wmv vids saved on there, it should be able to. you won't be able to play itunes vids though.

[quote name='Kayden']So we can finally stream videos from PCs to the 360 without XP media center edition?

Granted, its only WMV... shitty MS... I'm glad I have a second computer to run stupid crap like the WMC for MP3s.[/quote]

what about music and pictures? I want to stream those too, but never could since I didn't have Windows Media Center.

[quote name='tenzor']what about music and pictures? I want to stream those too, but never could since I didn't have Windows Media Center.[/QUOTE]

All you ever needed was XP and Windows Media Connect to do that.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']All you ever needed was XP and Windows Media Connect to do that.[/quote]

Pretty sure the person just said they never had Media Center. Read first. Post second.

I believe they are the same, and if they aren't my bad.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']All you ever needed was XP and Windows Media Connect to do that.[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know that. I will prob just update to Windows Media 11.

[quote name='mvp828']Pretty sure the person just said they never had Media Center. Read first. Post second.

I believe they are the same, and if they aren't my bad.[/QUOTE]

Mmm. They're different. Research first. Post second.

Got the update. Can't really say much about it since I won't really use the new features anyways, besides streaming videos. The new menus have nice graphics, but I think they're a little "busy". I noticed that your profile logs in instantly instead of sometimes lagging and forcing you to wait. Instead, it loads your gamertag and themes and what not, and then logs into XBL. Also, I found the video marketplace under the Media & Entertainment blade kind of pointless. It's also nice to see 1080p as an option when I go into video settings though.

Also, when you hit the guide button, did it always tell you how much battery life your controller had? Or is it new with the update? I haven't read all 85 features.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Mmm. They're different. Research first. Post second.[/QUOTE]

Got the update. Can't really say much about it since I won't really use the new features anyways, besides streaming videos. The new menus have nice graphics, but I think they're a little "busy". I noticed that your profile logs in instantly instead of sometimes lagging and forcing you to wait. Instead, it loads your gamertag and themes and what not, and then logs into XBL. Also, I found the video marketplace under the Media & Entertainment blade kind of pointless. It's also nice to see 1080p as an option when I go into video settings though.

Also, when you hit the guide button, did it always tell you how much battery life your controller had? Or is it new with the update? I haven't read all 85 features.

[quote name='Scorch']Who cares about Japan, when's it coming out for the US?[/QUOTE]

I do! I LIVE in Japan!

*downloads updates*

Nyah! ;P

I just updated and no more than 10 minutes later my 360 has died. It started off with my 360 making clicking noises soon after downloading and applying the update.

Lower-right quadrant is flashing red.

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I just updated and no more than 10 minutes later my 360 has died. It started off with my 360 making clicking noises soon after downloading and applying the update.

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.[/quote]I'm updating now and hope that doesn't happen to me.

Finshed downloading and MarketPlace looks a little better. I don't really notice to much of new features yet though.

I still can't play videos off my data disc nor can I play them from my Zen.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I just updated and no more than 10 minutes later my 360 has died. It started off with my 360 making clicking noises soon after downloading and applying the update.

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that....I remember the first update killed my 360. I'll D/L this later, hopefully with good luck.

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.[/quote]

*unplugs 360*

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.[/quote]Damn man that sucks; sorry to hear that. Hopefully they can fix that for you somehow.

I got the update b4 work and tested out streaming some WMVs worked just like if I was playing music from the PC. So easy and NO WMP 11 needed. I went through lots of menus and they are faster but I didnt see many of the options I thought I might. I couldnt find the notice while playing DVDs and the auto DL of stuff options. I will look closer tonight.

bread's done
Back