360 Dashboard Update - 31 October 2006

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Mmm. They're different. Research first. Post second.

Also, when you hit the guide button, did it always tell you how much battery life your controller had? Or is it new with the update? I haven't read all 85 features.[/QUOTE]

It's always been there.

[quote name='Bazz']
I still can't play videos off my data disc nor can I play them from my Zen.[/quote]

Are they .wmv? That's the only format supported. I converted a few vids to .wmv from .avi and they play just fine.

So, how do you share stuff with WMP11? Does it ONLY share your library files? How do you add files to it? Mine kept crashing when I added my entire drive (I have a USB drive M: that I tried to share the top level)

Also, does WMP11 have to be running to share with the 360?

[quote name='doubledown']So, how do you share stuff with WMP11? Does it ONLY share your library files? How do you add files to it? Mine kept crashing when I added my entire drive (I have a USB drive M: that I tried to share the top level)

Also, does WMP11 have to be running to share with the 360?[/QUOTE]

tools, options, library and look for the configure sharing button. click it and check off the "share my media" box and click OK. your library "should" be shared now. next the media sharing box expands. make sure the 360 is allowed.

that should be it.

[quote name='pimpinc333']It's now more readible and it has a controller icon next to it.[/QUOTE]

Ah cool. yeah that's because the it will also show a battery readout for the wireless headset if you have it too.

I like how everything is faster. The new icons on the marketplace are kinda dumb. The whole browsing system will need an overhaul soon, maybe in the spring update.

I love the option to automatically download new XBLA demos! I always grab them anyway at release; this just makes it even easier!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm surprised... they took my idea for fast loading of the XBLA list... I had yet to see anyone else request it... hooray! Finally :roll: it was probably the most annoying aspect for me since I play arcade games primarily.[/QUOTE]

I posted it a couple of months back on the official xbox forums :D

I got tired of waiting to play the newest arcade game, since I own all the arcade titles :p

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I just updated and no more than 10 minutes later my 360 has died. It started off with my 360 making clicking noises soon after downloading and applying the update.

Lower-right quadrant is flashing red.

I removed the hard drive and it booted up fine. Then, I put the hdd back in and keep getting the error. I guess my hard drive is toast. Dammit.[/QUOTE]
Did you get an E7 error by any chance?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2324743#post2324743

Nice update.. I love finally being able to watch all these old TV shows I've downloaded on the 360. Really cool.

As asked already, does anyone know a good way to convert files from other formats to .wmv? Most of my files aren't supported, so I need to get to work on that later if possible.

[quote name='AlienLX']Nice update.. I love finally being able to watch all these old TV shows I've downloaded on the 360. Really cool.

As asked already, does anyone know a good way to convert files from other formats to .wmv? Most of my files aren't supported, so I need to get to work on that later if possible.[/quote]

I'd like to know of a decent free program that allows turning say an avi file to wma

I have WinAvi Video Converter. Not a free program, however. Try somewhere like download.com and search for free video converters.

[quote name='sp00ge']I have WinAvi Video Converter. Not a free program, however. Try somewhere like download.com and search for free video converters.[/QUOTE]

How good does WinAvi work? All of my videos are in the .AVI format so I could use something like this.

Edit: I'm going to try this one: http://www.xilisoft.com/video-converter.html

Has anyone else tried 1920x1080 using a VGA cable? I tried it on my CRT monitor and the display was fuzzy and kept moving around and making weird noises. I know the monitor is capable of 1920x1080 as I've done it with my PC over VGA.

I did a google search on "free video converter," and here's what I found so far (I haven't tried them out myself). Looks like most of these are trial versions/not full versions, but here they are anyway. I'm not sure how reliable these are, so use at your own risk:

http://www.movavi.com/suite/download.html
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/X_Video_Converter.htm
http://www.winavi.com/en/download/download.htm
http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Zilla-Free-Video-Converter-Decompiler-download_38665.html
http://www.snapfiles.com/features/videozilla-803-464096.php

[quote name='ashram']tools, options, library and look for the configure sharing button. click it and check off the "share my media" box and click OK. your library "should" be shared now. next the media sharing box expands. make sure the 360 is allowed.

that should be it.[/QUOTE]

What if the Xbox 360 doesn't show up under the list of devices to share with? I get no devices even with the 360 on and the screen after the code screen up and waiting for me to configure my pc. I have the Windows One Care firewall and they don't even list help with their own firewall. All I see is Symantec, McAffee, Zonelabs, and the Windows xp firewall. Anyone have any helpful advice? I do have wmv's in the library as well.

So my system isn't connected to my PC after downloading the update. I used to have it connected to stream audio, but now it isn't connected at all (it shows up, but when I click on it it doesn't work).

Any suggestions?

EDIT: nvm didn't realize i had to re"allow" them in Windows Media Connect on my PC.

[quote name='Purkeynator']What if the Xbox 360 doesn't show up under the list of devices to share with? I get no devices even with the 360 on and the screen after the code screen up and waiting for me to configure my pc. I have the Windows One Care firewall and they don't even list help with their own firewall. All I see is Symantec, McAffee, Zonelabs, and the Windows xp firewall. Anyone have any helpful advice? I do have wmv's in the library as well.[/QUOTE]

Turn the firewall completely off and see if it works, then it's a lot easier to troubleshoot.

This update has made me want to get a new monitor. Hopefully there are some deals on some soon (mainly looking at the dell 2407W)

[quote name='ashram']tools, options, library and look for the configure sharing button. click it and check off the "share my media" box and click OK. your library "should" be shared now. next the media sharing box expands. make sure the 360 is allowed.

that should be it.[/quote]

Is this WMP11 Beta 2? I have beta 1 and I don't see this anywhere. I've tried moving up to beta 2, but then it gets rid of Windows Media Connect for some reason. (So then I have to move back down to beta 1) Any suggestions?

does that mean i dont have to format my USB 2.0 40+ GB Hard Drive flash drives it does it on its own

[quote name='Rig']Is this WMP11 Beta 2? I have beta 1 and I don't see this anywhere. I've tried moving up to beta 2, but then it gets rid of Windows Media Connect for some reason. (So then I have to move back down to beta 1) Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]
WMP11 has an official release. I was trying to use the beta and didn't see the options he mentioned. I went to the WMP site and downloaded the official version and now I have the options.

[quote name='zewone']WMP11 has an official release. I was trying to use the beta and didn't see the options he mentioned. I went to the WMP site and downloaded the official version and now I have the options.[/QUOTE]

But if you have to have WMP open all the time to use it with the 360 I will pass.

[quote name='thrustbucket']But if you have to have WMP open all the time to use it with the 360 I will pass.[/QUOTE]

no need for it to be open. just setup the folders you want it to recognize, then from there on you can close it and get your videos whenever.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I downloaded the update, but when I select 1080p in the console settings it goes black for a few secs, then reverts back to 1080i? (I have 1080p Mitsubishi)

Update: Found my answer on the official forum....you cant get 1080p over component cables.

I have a DVI port- does that help with anything? (and HDMI but 360 doesnt have one)

[quote name='xfilekr']Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I downloaded the update, but when I select 1080p in the console settings it goes black for a few secs, then reverts back to 1080i? (I have 1080p Mitsubishi)
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Is your TV compatible through component? Or are you using VGA?

[quote name='spoo']Is your TV compatible through component? Or are you using VGA?[/QUOTE]

They've stated that they're having problems getting 1080p to work over component and VGA (Microsoft has received thousands of complaints). They will either fix the problem soon or release an HDMI cable. My 1080p monitor doesn't work right with VGA either.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']They've stated that they're having problems getting 1080p to work over component and VGA (Microsoft has received thousands of complaints). They will either fix the problem soon or release an HDMI cable. My 1080p monitor doesn't work right with VGA either.[/QUOTE]

1080p was never meant to, and will never work with component cables. It's forbidden by the gay IICC or whatever that decides what's kosher.

If you want 1080p, you have to use VGA.

I've been wondering if a VGA to DVI adapter would work ok. Can't seem to find out.

Edit: It's possible that I am wrong after doing research. It looks like that whether 1080p can be done over component from the 360 is entirely up to your tv. In short, if it doesn't work, you need the vga adapter. (IT sounds like no Sony's will work)

[quote name='PenguinMaster']They've stated that they're having problems getting 1080p to work over component and VGA (Microsoft has received thousands of complaints). They will either fix the problem soon or release an HDMI cable. My 1080p monitor doesn't work right with VGA either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thrustbucket']1080p was never meant to, and will never work with component cables. It's forbidden by the gay IICC or whatever that decides what's kosher.

If you want 1080p, you have to use VGA.

I've been wondering if a VGA to DVI adapter would work ok. Can't seem to find out.[/QUOTE]

Your both wrong, A lot of TV's just don't accept(yes there are rules but their bending right now) 1080p over component. So when clueless customer buys a 1080p TV they don't know it can only display 1080p via HDMI or whatever and NOT the component. This was talked about FAR in advance if you listen to major nelson's podcast.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Your both wrong, A lot of TV's just don't accept(yes there are rules but their bending right now) 1080p over component. So when clueless customer buys a 1080p TV they don't know it can only display 1080p via HDMI or whatever and NOT the component. This was talked about FAR in advance if you listen to major nelson's podcast.[/QUOTE]

I know I just appended my post as you posted this.

Nice update. I like the little improvements.

I tried a funny WMV clip I had on my computer and it worked well. I don't know how much use I will get from the WMV streaming feature other than little funny clips I download, since there isn't really anything free to convert things to WMV... and even then you wonder "If I'm going to convert something, I might as well make a DVD or something."

I only wish that I could stream my subscription WMA files from Yahoo Music Unlimited to Go on my 360. I'm guessing that the 360 doesn't support DRM-protected WMA files?

[quote name='Kendal']Why won't my 360 let me watch my movies? I have done the step by step instrutions to do so. Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]

check if they are the right format (WMV with no codecs needed).

check in WMP if your media sharing is setup for the right system and folders.

okay, that Windows media encoder i posted a few pages back kinda sucks.

it keeps freezing on me and uses ALL my system resources.

need a better option-- videora also seems to hate certain AVIs I have (dunno why) so anything other than that?

damn only wmv's? i wonder if it can handle streaming wmv's
oh yah there is a prog that decodes all of your avi's to wmv's on the fly, i think it was posted a while back.

[quote name='cyrix`']damn only wmv's? i wonder if it can handle streaming wmv's
oh yah there is a prog that decodes all of your avi's to wmv's on the fly, i think it was posted a while back.[/quote]

Its for Media Center Edition only.

Windows Media Encoder totally barfs whenever I try to convert. It runs slow as hell and then just crashes and restarts. However, I do have a dual core chip, so that could have something to do with it.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Your both wrong, A lot of TV's just don't accept(yes there are rules but their bending right now) 1080p over component. So when clueless customer buys a 1080p TV they don't know it can only display 1080p via HDMI or whatever and NOT the component. This was talked about FAR in advance if you listen to major nelson's podcast.[/QUOTE]

I've got a 42" LCD TV (Westinghouse LVM-42W2) which is supposed to accept 1080p signals via component inputs (as well as HDMI & DVI-D). I'll try it out in the next day or so and see if it actually works and report back.

It's pretty cool to be able to grab random funny clips and viral videos from eBaum's and the like, and be able to play them without logging onto the computer.

The crappy thing is that you can only use WMV files. Thankfully, if videos aren't in Flash format nowadays, they're in WMV. :)

bread's done
Back