360 Dashboard Update - 31 October 2006

[quote name='LunaticPuma']The update bricked my console. :roll: But it's okay because I already have a box on order for crashing the week before. :applause:[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? you had one lockup so they sent you another xbox?

[quote name='thrustbucket']What do you mean? you had one lockup so they sent you another xbox?[/QUOTE]
I think you read Daphatty's Post and the other dude post quickly. He said he has a Coffin box already since a week prior his 360 crashed and wasn't working. For some odd reason it started to work and he played it but while doing the update it killed his 360.

[quote name='Zoglog']Well, I just tested Streaming some 1080p WMV Files and the project offset one works fine. However all the ones from the official MS WMV Site didn't aspect correctly. The 720p ones did however. very Strange.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

If anyone wants to test as well.[/QUOTE]

They have been discussing this on avsforum. The consensus is that its the fault of the files on microsofts site, they are authored funny. In a nutshell, they are authored with non-square pixels, and the 360 treats everything as though it has square pixels. HD-DVD's have square pixels and will look correctly.

[quote name='thrustbucket']it's up on majornelson.com too. Looks like if you successfully installed the update, you won't be prompted for this fix.[/QUOTE]
It is a BS update, it now doesn't cause the bricked E71 Error but it can't fix the E71 error the last update caused. I can't believe that MS didn't test this update on systems that haven't been updated. This has to be one of the worst blunders in gaming history. 1% of systems bricked is around 60,000 bricked systems. This update can't fix systems that are already affected by the update.

I also can't believe that as soon as this issue was known that MS didn't warn Live users not to update or take down the update.

I sort of assumed that perhaps the reason he says to call support is there might be a way to put the new fixed update on a burned cd or something, but I guess not.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I sort of assumed that perhaps the reason he says to call support is there might be a way to put the new fixed update on a burned cd or something, but I guess not.[/QUOTE]
It is very understandable that you assumed that. Major Nelson's wording was deceiving on the issue.

[quote name='spoo']It is very understandable that you assumed that. Major Nelson's wording was deceiving on the issue.[/QUOTE]

Well then I can only hope that MS is replacing 360's bricked by this update, even if they are out of warranty.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']So Im getting a 360 tomorrow night, is it going to be ok for me to update or no? I dont wanna buy the system for it to just break a few mins after.[/QUOTE]

Yes. They fixed (supposedly) what ever was bricking 1% of the 360's out there.

Besides, if you are buying it tomorrow, if it does break, you take it right back and exchange. Big deal.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Yes. They fixed (supposedly) what ever was bricking 1% of the 360's out there.

Besides, if you are buying it tomorrow, if it does break, you take it right back and exchange. Big deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but thats a big ass hassel for something that I can prevent from happening. Didnt they say it was mostly New and Refurbished units going down.

Did anyone notice games running smoother? I know EVERY time I played Madde 07, the EA logo would freeze for a second, then continue. Now, it just rotates smoothly. I found that interesting....not sure if other things are fixed, but that seemed a bit better.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']Yeah but thats a big ass hassel for something that I can prevent from happening. Didnt they say it was mostly New and Refurbished units going down.[/QUOTE]

Well there is always the possibility of getting a DOA unit too. Your chances of bricking your system with the update at this point are like 1,000,000 to one. You make the call, if that's too risky for you, then don't plug in a network cable.

Anyone having a problem with their wireless adapter after the update? My brother said his console won't recognize it anymore. He's gonna call MS in the morning.

[quote name='doubledown']Did anyone notice games running smoother? I know EVERY time I played Madde 07, the EA logo would freeze for a second, then continue. Now, it just rotates smoothly. I found that interesting....not sure if other things are fixed, but that seemed a bit better.[/quote]I'll be damned, you're right. I thought previously it was something with my 360 only with that hitch.

bread's done
Back