360 Dashboard Update - 31 October 2006

[quote name='Kayden']Its for Media Center Edition only.

Windows Media Encoder totally barfs whenever I try to convert. It runs slow as hell and then just crashes and restarts. However, I do have a dual core chip, so that could have something to do with it.[/QUOTE]

it was doing that on my single core chip pc as well.

I've tried about 4 different conversion progs today and they all suck ass.

videora doesn't convert to wmv for me...

[quote name='zewone']WMP11 has an official release. I was trying to use the beta and didn't see the options he mentioned. I went to the WMP site and downloaded the official version and now I have the options.[/quote]

Thanks. The release must've come within the last couple days, because I tried Beta 2 a couple nights ago. Downloading WMP11 now. Hopefully my Windows Media Connect doesn't vanish like it did on the beta! (I mostly want WMC for my modded Xbox...)

Well, I thought that by some stroke of luck that you could play ASF files renamed to WMV, but it looks like no dice.

Still, there's some cool stuff that I can now watch on my 360. :)

[quote name='thrustbucket']1080p was never meant to, and will never work with component cables. It's forbidden by the gay IICC or whatever that decides what's kosher.

If you want 1080p, you have to use VGA.

I've been wondering if a VGA to DVI adapter would work ok. Can't seem to find out.

Edit: It's possible that I am wrong after doing research. It looks like that whether 1080p can be done over component from the 360 is entirely up to your tv. In short, if it doesn't work, you need the vga adapter. (IT sounds like no Sony's will work)[/QUOTE]

As I stated earlier I am using VGA and I've used 1080p with my PC using VGA and that worked. There are just problems with the 360's 1080p capabilities right now.

[quote name='Apossum']it was doing that on my single core chip pc as well.

I've tried about 4 different conversion progs today and they all suck ass.

videora seems to handle most of my AVIs well, but won't convert my FLCL episodes! >_

Ok... I dunno whats up with the 360... but Blaze Media Pro seems to be working fairly well... Its not free, but it can be...

[quote name='Kayden']Videora output mp4 files... not wmv. For me atleast... I'm giving Blaze Media pro a go, and its fairly strait forward... however, the 360 itself seems to be a total cunt.

Sometimes it'll see a video and sometimes it wont. I'll convert them and move them into the shared directory and it wont show up on the 360. Then I'll delete it and add it again and it'll show up. then I'll add another file and it will show up. Then I move in 5 or 6 more and it wont show them. Delete them all. Move them all at once and a random few will show up. they all work at some point, just not all together or all the time. :wall:[/QUOTE]

there's a Videora360 version. it puts out mpeg-2 only, I guess. I thought it would do wmv, but I guess it's meant for people with MCE only.

I'm trying out M2PMEncoderZX right now, which I found on videohelp.com. seems to be working so far and it's totally free. it's meant for portable devices, but you can adjust it to put out whatever resolution and bit rate you want.

[quote name='Apossum']there's a Videora360 version. it puts out mpeg-2 only, I guess. I thought it would do wmv, but I guess it's meant for people with MCE only.

I'm trying out M2PMEncoderZX right now, which I found on videohelp.com. seems to be working so far and it's totally free. it's meant for portable devices, but you can adjust it to put out whatever resolution and bit rate you want.[/quote]

Linky? Does it do OGM too? I have a lot of anime in OGM.

well just tested the 1080p, honestly speaking there wasn't much difference in terms of upconverting. This is probably due to the fact that my TV has faroudja genesis scaler for deinterlacing which is probably better than the 360 does it. Good to see that my TV can accept 1080p signals via VGA though, I was a bit skeptical at first.

[quote name='Zoglog']well just tested the 1080p, honestly speaking there wasn't much difference in terms of upconverting. This is probably due to the fact that my TV has faroudja genesis scaler for deinterlacing which is probably better than the 360 does it. Good to see that my TV can accept 1080p signals via VGA though, I was a bit skeptical at first.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but what set do you use?

I love watching wmvs on my commodore screen now... friggin sweet without taking HDD space. Plus I can download crappy rez videos and watch them on next gen consoles, whihc makes me oddly happy.

www.gametrailers.com is so awesome. Click on any high definition movie then in the window click the little windows icon under save and it saves in .wmv format. I put like 10 HD videos on my 80gb external hd and they look awesome on the 360.

[quote name='nyprimus4']www.gametrailers.com is so awesome. Click on any high definition movie then in the window click the little windows icon under save and it saves in .wmv format. I put like 10 HD videos on my 80gb external hd and they look awesome on the 360.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing that all day, except just using it on the wireless router. It's easy as hell... just download in my folder and bam... herpes... I mean it's on my 360.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've been doing that all day, except just using it on the wireless router. It's easy as hell... just download in my folder and bam... herpes... I mean it's on my 360.[/quote]
Imagine if youtube let you download their videos like gametrailers.

So those with the update, and running VGA, how is the upconverting on standard DVD? I have a 1080i Plasma TV, and watch a crap load of DVDs (currently on a progressive scan, component set up) and was wondering if its worth getting the VGA cable, if there is a noticeable upgrade.

[quote name='Kayden']Linky? Does it do OGM too? I have a lot of anime in OGM.[/QUOTE]

here ya go:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=M2PMCEncoderZX

no OGM unfortunately. Here's the description:

"Convert AVI,MPG,ASF,WMV to WMV for Microsoft Portable Media Center(PCM) or Microsoft Smartphone 2003 and above. Requires .net framework, Windows Media Encoder and Windows Media Player. "

Just converted an ep of FLCL, looked fine on my TV. Some pixelation, but not too bad. Had to put it at 580x340 to fit the subs on my screen.

So this works great for my regular, non-widescreen, non-HD TV.
You can do whatever resolution and whatever video kbps you want but audio only goes up to stereo at 320kbs. and you can queue up files (which is conspicuously absent from some programs...)

It's a shame WMEncoder freezes and sucks up so much ram...otherwise that program would be perfect.

I love the new update looks much sleeker and of course
the functionalty to Live Arcade is faster and cleaner for
those of us with more Arcade downloads.

Kudos to MS on this one.

still no upconversion through component. would of been nice but i dont know if its even possible...

it does suck though knowing my tv cant output that 19x10 resolution

do i have to format my USB 2.0 40+ GB Hard Drive flash drive or will it do it on its own

River past cleaner is awesome. It does OGM, MVK, etc. You can pick the resolution, codec, output directories, queues. Its got a very simple/plain interface. It wont win a beauty pageant for the gui, but the output files look phenominal! I took an old AVI and shot it through WM7@2Mbps at 720p. :drool: Crystal clear... looked better than the source. Course, it took 2 hours to convert a 20 minute ep. :lol: So I scalled it down to 480p and it still looks great.

It lets you use WM9 codecs for video, but i found them to look like shit. The 7 series look much better.

[quote name='Apossum']here ya go:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=M2PMCEncoderZX

no OGM unfortunately. Here's the description:

"Convert AVI,MPG,ASF,WMV to WMV for Microsoft Portable Media Center(PCM) or Microsoft Smartphone 2003 and above. Requires .net framework, Windows Media Encoder and Windows Media Player. "

Just converted an ep of FLCL, looked fine on my TV. Some pixelation, but not too bad. Had to put it at 580x340 to fit the subs on my screen.

So this works great for my regular, non-widescreen, non-HD TV.
You can do whatever resolution and whatever video kbps you want but audio only goes up to stereo at 320kbs. and you can queue up files (which is conspicuously absent from some programs...)

It's a shame WMEncoder freezes and sucks up so much ram...otherwise that program would be perfect.[/quote]

Bah! River past cleaner isn't free (unless you've "acquired" the program from an alternate source). Can any one recommend a freeware converter superior to videohelp M2PMCE.ZX?

Edited.

[quote name='Kayden']River past cleaner is awesome. It does OGM, MVK, etc. You can pick the resolution, codec, output directories, queues. Its got a very simple/plain interface. It wont win a beauty pageant for the gui, but the output files look phenominal! I took an old AVI and shot it through WM7@2Mbps at 720p. :drool: Crystal clear... looked better than the source. Course, it took 2 hours to convert a 20 minute ep. :lol: So I scalled it down to 480p and it still looks great.

It lets you use WM9 codecs for video, but i found them to look like shit. The 7 series look much better.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good...I think I'll check that out as well.

Tried River Past Cleaner last night.

It's cool, but took 3 hours to convert an episode of heroes. I am not sure how useful it will be to me since I have an HTPC.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Tried River Past Cleaner last night.

It's cool, but took 3 hours to convert an episode of heroes. I am not sure how useful it will be to me since I have an HTPC.[/QUOTE]

you have it set for 1080i widescreen or something?

[quote name='Apossum']you have it set for 1080i widescreen or something?[/QUOTE]

No I just set windows media 9 codec, and kept quality the same, or default.

[quote name='thrustbucket']No I just set windows media 9 codec, and kept quality the same, or default.[/quote]

Did you download the trial?

tried the full version of River past...wouldn't recognize any of my AVIs, except one or two. oh well. I don't have anything other than AVIs, so I'll stick with M2MPCELOLWTFBBQ

[quote name='Plac1d']Did you download the trial?[/QUOTE]

No :)

tried the full version of River past...wouldn't recognize any of my AVIs, except one or two. oh well. I don't have anything other than AVIs, so I'll stick with M2MPCELOLWTFBBQ

I didn't have this problem. I have all Divx AVI's as well. I think it uses a lot of the codecs you already have installed in windows, so if there is a problem reading AVI's, it's probably something to do with your codecs, not the program.

[quote name='Apossum']tried the full version of River past...wouldn't recognize any of my AVIs, except one or two. oh well. I don't have anything other than AVIs, so I'll stick with M2MPCELOLWTFBBQ[/quote]

It wont work with divx dvds if you have actual DivX. However, if you use 3vix (the open source equivalent) it works just fine. As for slowness, I had it transcode about 20 episodes over night... or faster as I cant say when it stopped. and I did.... 'aquire' a full version.

So I downloaded the update last night and was all excited about finally being able to display more than 720p through my VGA cable. Problem is my TV has a max of 1080i so it would not take the 1920x1080 resolution. Is there a resolution for 1080i or is 720p (1280x720) still the best I can get through the VGA cable?

I had posted this in the HD-DVD thread, but did not get a response

[quote name='Big Papa']So I downloaded the update last night and was all excited about finally being able to display more than 720p through my VGA cable. Problem is my TV has a max of 1080i so it would not take the 1920x1080 resolution. Is there a resolution for 1080i or is 720p (1280x720) still the best I can get through the VGA cable?

I had posted this in the HD-DVD thread, but did not get a response[/QUOTE]

Your TV, are you talking about NATIVE 1080i or 1080 COMPATIBLE?

[quote name='thrustbucket']Jeez, if you can afford a 1080p projector, what you doing on these forums? :)[/QUOTE]

How do you think he saved those nickels up to buy it?

We need a pic of a human standing next to one of those shots to give it some scale.

[quote name='mick16']I've got a 42" LCD TV (Westinghouse LVM-42W2) which is supposed to accept 1080p signals via component inputs (as well as HDMI & DVI-D). I'll try it out in the next day or so and see if it actually works and report back.[/QUOTE]

I just hooked it up to my TV via the component inputs and 1080p worked with no issues. Both the dashboard, arcade games, and Dead Rising were being shown in 1920 x 1080. Picture looked great. I played my X-Men III DVD as well but that was only in 720 x 480 (it actually looked wore than regular DVD player (Panasonic S-77) which upconverts to 1080i). I'm really interested to see how the HD-DVD movies look on the TV via the Xbox 360 once I get the HD-DVD drive.

[quote name='KaneRobot']How do you think he saved those nickels up to buy it?

We need a pic of a human standing next to one of those shots to give it some scale.[/QUOTE]

I'm just glad to see another CAG that's a diehard PJ guy. I have a very very good 480p projector (saving up for a 720p one).... But damn, those 1080p projectors are still around $4k.

After having an 8 foot wide screen, I just could never go back to yer puny 65 inchers.

NBA 2k7 is the best sports game in existence. 2k8 can be even better if they actually work on player models. The game is sooo good looking and so much fun to play.

[quote name='Scorch']Scrubs Season 5 avi files + River Past Video Cleaner Pro (converter to WMV) + Data DVD-R = WIN![/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Is that program free? I swear, there's very few free and good video tools nowadays. Although, if you're making something without profit, there's really no reason to make something unless you want to help others.

Well, I've got a folder of Exit 57 episodes (unfortunately, my State collection was in ASF format) and various web humor clips for those times when I'm bored. Works great. :)

[quote name='Scorch']Scrubs Season 5 avi files + River Past Video Cleaner Pro (converter to WMV) + Data DVD-R = WIN![/quote]
Ehh. Screw burning DVD's. I found an external 80gb in my den. Loaded it up with high def game clips from gametrailers.com and they look spectacular on my projector.

Do you reccommend the River Past Video Cleaner Pro? is it free? How does the quality come out on the 360? I want to rip some movies from my DVD collection onto the hard drive.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Your TV, are you talking about NATIVE 1080i or 1080 COMPATIBLE?[/QUOTE]

I believe 1080i native. I was able to run at 1080i through the component cable and was hoping witht he update I could do it with VGA. I am guessing by your comment that whether the TV is 1080i or 1080p the correct resolution should be 1920x1080?

Why burn dvd's if your computer is on the same network as the 360?

And nyprimus4, you never answered me about what kind of projector you have. I'm getting very angry about it, and I am currently chewing kittens in anger, about to move on to puppies.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Ehh. Screw burning DVD's. I found an external 80gb in my den. Loaded it up with high def game clips from gametrailers.com and they look spectacular on my projector.

Do you reccommend the River Past Video Cleaner Pro? is it free? How does the quality come out on the 360? I want to rip some movies from my DVD collection onto the hard drive.[/quote]

:rofl: 'found' Was it under a gold brick uncle moneybanks? :lol:

River Past isnt free, but your local torrent site can rememdy that. The clarity was joygasmic for me. I shot it out at 1280x720 and I couldn't find artifacts or jaggies or anything. Colors were sharp as a tack.

[quote name='Kayden']:rofl: 'found' Was it under a gold brick uncle moneybanks? :lol:

River Past isnt free, but your local torrent site can rememdy that. The clarity was joygasmic for me. I shot it out at 1280x720 and I couldn't find artifacts or jaggies or anything. Colors were sharp as a tack.[/quote]
It is a compusa generic brand 80gb that my dad bought a few years ago because his old computer only had like 20gb. He hardly used it though.

Oh yea, my source was 640x480. Not horrible, but looks like shit full screen on my 20.1 at 1600x1080.

bread's done
Back