3D Dot Game Heroes - Out Now - Relive your 8-Bit childhood.

I just finished making a retro Hulk Hogan. :lol: I'm surprised, it actually turned out quite well. I'll try to post it later on tonight. Next up, Apollo Creed.

I haven't checked, but is there any way to use my created character in my current game or would I need to start a new game?

[quote name='howlinmad']How tall can the characters be?
What about the blocky characters from the old Sierra On-Line 3d animated adventure games? [/QUOTE]

16x16x16

anyone having trouble with this game on where to go next, gamefaqs has a great walkthru up http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/971481-3d-dot-game-heroes/faqs/59492

[quote name='Apollo Creed']I haven't checked, but is there any way to use my created character in my current game or would I need to start a new game?[/QUOTE]

you can change your character in your current game.

[quote name='Apollo Creed']I just finished making a retro Hulk Hogan. :lol: I'm surprised, it actually turned out quite well. I'll try to post it later on tonight. Next up, Apollo Creed.

I haven't checked, but is there any way to use my created character in my current game or would I need to start a new game?[/QUOTE]

anytime you load you can choose a differant character. i learned this going for the no hit trophy from bosses hahaha. (i saw it a lot)

Wow, I had preordered this game LONG ago and didn't realize it was coming out now until I got my shipping notice from Amazon the other day. Just got it in the mail today!

I don't know that I agree with the "relive your childhood" title on this thread. The 16x16x16 models are way too detailed for that in my case ;). "Characters" in games from my childhood were not that detailed: think pong, space invaders, breakout, Adventure on the Atari, etc... Hey, maybe I can make an Adventure dragon for this game - you know, the things that looked like ducks but were supposedly dragons!

Here is a Link I made last night. Still want to make his animations better, but overall I am happy. Working with the editor was a lot of fun. I can't complain for my first attempt. I'll keep working on it though after I get some playtime in.

imag0002eu.jpg

imag0004c.jpg
imag0019ox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Apollo Creed']I just finished making a retro Hulk Hogan. :lol: I'm surprised, it actually turned out quite well. I'll try to post it later on tonight. Next up, Apollo Creed.

I haven't checked, but is there any way to use my created character in my current game or would I need to start a new game?[/QUOTE]

HOLY BALLS I will wait in EAGER anticipation for this Hulk Hogan LOL!!!!

[quote name='Strell']I want someone to make PURPLE TENTACLE.[/QUOTE]

I'll just leave this here...
animatedq.gif
animatedq.gif

And... here... :bouncy:
480x480.png

480x480.png

Any word on when BBY will have this game in stock? I've got $40 in Rewards Zone certs with this game's name on it.

I think this is the first game I will actually have to concede the platinum because of the minigames. It's not that I couldn't eventually beat the dash races, it's the fact that the collision detection and controls are so god awful I don't want to torture myself trying. I love the concept of this game, but the controls feel clunky and unresponsive at times. I tried using the D-pad for increased precision, but you end up sacrificing speed.

Also, the disparity between having full health and getting hit just once is waaaaaaaaaaay too big. Once you fully upgrade the 'master sword', it's OP as fuck. Being able to wipe the entire screen with one swing is retarded, but if you happen to get hit just once the difficulty skyrockets. That's poor design IMO and just serves to bring the flow of the game to a grinding halt since you're pushed into recovery mode, rather than progression.

I hate to say it, but once the novelty wears off the game feels lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Just got my copy in the mail yesterday and finished the first temple.

This game is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

This game is epic. I'm still getting the hang of the combat, with the sword twirling and stuff, but man, this game is awesome.

Yeah, I put about 4 hours into it and had a blast. Got just about to the entrance of the third temple.

[quote name='XClaude']I'll just leave this here...
animatedq.gif
animatedq.gif

And... here... :bouncy:
480x480.png

480x480.png
[/QUOTE]

Well guys. I thought this was such a great model that I recreated it in the game. It turned out really well. I managed to get the hopping animation in there like how Purple Tentacle "walks" in the classic game!

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mudeaznmne5

Enjoy!

[quote name='zsciaeount']Any word on when BBY will have this game in stock? I've got $40 in Rewards Zone certs with this game's name on it.[/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed it is today. I hope when people start finding this at Best Buy, they'll post it here. Some folks in this thread said their BB told them it's arriving today. The reps at mine said they didn't know, that it was "in transit" but they only get shipments on Mondays and Wednesdays. Take your pick. I'm heading over there today to see if they've got their copies. I'm dying for some retro gaming!

Sorry for being a little late, but here's 'Hulkster'.

Send me a PM if you want the save and I'll email it.

pic.php

pic.php
pic.php
pic.php

His godly mane sways left and right as he walks. Wanted to do the bandana or headband, but bald works.

Context:
* The g/f played LoZ as a kid (she wasn't sure which one). She recognized the resemblance in the videos I showed her.
* She has started mild gaming since we started dating, but her fav games are all PSN games; Magic Ball/Orbz, Polar Panic, etc. She somewhat enjoyed LBP.
* She enjoys watching me play any story driven game with good presentation; GoW, Uncharted 1/2, Call of Jaurez were favs.

Question:
What sort of mileage would she get out of playing this game? Has anyone tried putting this game in the hands of a non-gamer? Though I am sure her play LoZ in past would help.

~S

a non gamer might get frustrated with the lack of sometimes knowing what to do next. unless she uses a gamefaqs walkthrough.

so after playing this game, ive decided im going to do at least one sculpture of the main hero from this game. itll look like the goomba and paratroopa i posted awhile back using the wooden cubes and gluing them together one by one.

do you guys think i should give him a sword? if i do, im worried about it making it a little too flimsy. i am giving him a shield though.

Just ordered this game from Amazon for $15 thanks to the game credits. I can't wait to play it. Atlus has really come though lately with some great games.

[quote name='Apollo Creed']Sorry for being a little late, but here's 'Hulkster'.

pic.php

pic.php
pic.php
pic.php

His godly mane sways left and right as he walks. Wanted to do the bandana or headband, but bald works.[/QUOTE]

EPIC. Thanks Apollo I think I just found my new main character lol.

thats nice about being able to turn the shield off. Now I can give my link his REAL shield. Boba Fett wouldn't need a shield either.

I might try the code to turn off the walking sway as well

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Context:
* The g/f played LoZ as a kid (she wasn't sure which one). She recognized the resemblance in the videos I showed her.
* She has started mild gaming since we started dating, but her fav games are all PSN games; Magic Ball/Orbz, Polar Panic, etc. She somewhat enjoyed LBP.
* She enjoys watching me play any story driven game with good presentation; GoW, Uncharted 1/2, Call of Jaurez were favs.

Question:
What sort of mileage would she get out of playing this game? Has anyone tried putting this game in the hands of a non-gamer? Though I am sure her play LoZ in past would help.

~S[/QUOTE]

Well I just bought it, so I guess I'll let you guys know how it goes.
~S

In case people don't know the code:

Shield invisibility code - Pause the game with Start, then press up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, square, triangle, you should hear a sound (doing the code again makes the shield visible again). Even though you don't see the shield, it's still there and you can use it to deflect things. Put the code in again to make it appear.

Like posted above, this wil really help make your characters look nicer.

My local BB = fail. I went there again, spoke to the head guy in the games section. He showed me the computer. Two of the BB's in the area just got their copies today, but the BB near me isn't getting any even though it's showing "in transit." They're either totally clueless, or not getting the game. He told me they probably got them all on Tuesday when it released, I told him it wasn't street dated so it probably wasn't, and I called then and they didn't have it. He told me should just go to GameStop or drive to the other locations. *sigh*

Well, that was lame. I'm going to keep trying the next couple of days but since I need to go out by one of the other BB's on Monday, I'm hoping they still have some in stock.

I'm so jealous reading this thread. My PS3 is apparently fixed now, it just needs to be shipped back to me. Then I'll have this game and RDR waiting for me.

And I just wanted to saw how cool all the character models people have made here.

Even Linkin got in the spirit with a neat looking Prime.

I love Hulk and especially The Purple Tentacle! That was really well done.

[quote name='dallow']And I just wanted to saw how cool all the character models people have made here.

Even Linkin got in the spirit with a neat looking Prime.

I love Hulk and especially The Purple Tentacle! That was really well done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Sadly I spent more time customizing than playing last night. I must have gone to bed at 2am trying to perfect it. I got the first 3 frames done, 3 more to go, and I think I'll actually start the game. Maybe I'll even upload it to that website that you guys keep posting to see if anyone else besides me enjoys it.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']they finally put some more sprites on the main page for download. Nothing fantastic stands out, but its nice they are finally adding[/QUOTE]

Awesome.

Eventually, are you going to attempt making the Metroid?

definitely, but I'm not sure if I'm going to just re-do my current avatar, or take it a new direction. Just making the main pose is easy, but thinking of how to animate them is really the question.

I think the next one on my list is the octopus, but I'm not sure what to do to animate his attack and walking poses

[quote name='Apollo Creed']Sorry for being a little late, but here's 'Hulkster'.

pic.php

pic.php
pic.php
pic.php

His godly mane sways left and right as he walks. Wanted to do the bandana or headband, but bald works.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='cgarb84']EPIC. Thanks Apollo I think I just found my new main character lol.[/QUOTE]

No problem, bro. Enjoy.

I think I might hold off on Apollo Creed and try making the Iron Sheik next.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you = fail for not preordering[/QUOTE]

You = fail for thinking I'm somehow not going to get this game simply because the particular store I'm trying to buy it from is acting retarded. I could walk into Gamestop and pick it up, but before I do that, I'd rather use my RW certs if at all possible.

I love the little jokes and references I've come across so far. A whole room ("From Cave") dedicated to Demon's Souls riffs == awesome! I even saw an Armored Core (another From title) reference. Then of course there are the older NES game references, many of which I'm probably missing since I didn't play most of those games. But there is the slime that wants to be human which I've seen in at least one DQ game.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That is awesome, I hope that they threw in a Chromhounds reference somewhere in there too.[/QUOTE]

Is that From also? It could have been a reference to that - all the NPC said was something along the lines of "Wouldn't it be great if there was a 3D mech game?". The Demon's Souls references are a little more obvious: "You obtained a Hero's Soul!" and "Recommend this message? Yes/No" - Yes: "Someone was healed". There's more, too, like a reference about how this game isn't that hard ;).

Talk to the guard on the right, in front of the castle after beating the first temple for another NES reference.

I'm sure there's others too.
Of course the load screen art are almost all retro game covers remade. (if you install the game, you need to turn these on in the menu)

And hey IO, you mentioned Adventure.
One of the pre-made characters looks like one of those weird dragons. Except it's probably something else and they call it a dog or something, ha. It's red.

But now I want to make one of the Adventure dragons too. Though all they did was float. :)

I should edit the title slightly.

[quote name='dallow']

I should edit the title slightly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe "Relive the late 80's/early 90's" ;). But that isn't really all that catchy.

As for character editing, I started to make one but got kind of overwhelmed (I wanted to make a Cactuar). So I just gave up and chose the blue dragon and started playing the game. Can you get them sent to you by other people over PSN or how does that work? Game saves via computer to flash drive?

[quote name='io']Is that From also? It could have been a reference to that - all the NPC said was something along the lines of "Wouldn't it be great if there was a 3D mech game?". The Demon's Souls references are a little more obvious: "You obtained a Hero's Soul!" and "Recommend this message? Yes/No" - Yes: "Someone was healed". There's more, too, like a reference about how this game isn't that hard ;).[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was made by them as well. I guess that reference could be for either of them then.

bread's done
Back