3D Dot Game Heroes - Out Now - Relive your 8-Bit childhood.

[quote name='option.iv']Anyone else here get "poof poofed"?[/QUOTE]

Yes ;).

Isn't that a DQ VIII reference? Or maybe it is in other games too...

I know in DQ VIII (PS2) there was a place where a lady NPC would do the "puff puff" I think it was called (not "poof") and it consisted of her puffing her chest out at you, I think. It was very odd and very Japanese ;). There was no dude involved like in this game though - I guess that was the From having a little fun with that scene.

Alright, so heres the deal...

made my octopus. right now I only gave him 4 visible tentacles, which could easily increase during his attack animations but I haven't gotten to that point just yet. I took two screens shots (front and left side) to get some input about him. Lemme know what you think I could improve upon. It will ultimately be my submission to the main site (come on $100 amazon credit)

where are the screen shots located on the PS3?

NuntraDesert_1.jpg

NuntraDesert_2.jpg

heres the character so you can check out his pose (just one so far). I have some ideas floating as to what his attack animation should be. Either coming out of the water and mad tentacles flying towards the front, or the under belly of an octopus...not sure yet. For the walking animation, I might give the tentacles some action, or try to make it look like hes swimming, which is kinda impossible considering they use jet propulsion. either way

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKBBU4O4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kurrptsenate']
NuntraDesert_1.jpg

NuntraDesert_2.jpg

heres the character so you can check out his pose (just one so far). I have some ideas floating as to what his attack animation should be. Either coming out of the water and mad tentacles flying towards the front, or the under belly of an octopus...not sure yet. For the walking animation, I might give the tentacles some action, or try to make it look like hes swimming, which is kinda impossible considering they use jet propulsion. either way

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKBBU4O4[/QUOTE]

I'd fix the eyes and minimize the tentacles, maybe workout the colors. Not sure. Maybe do more something like the shark example they have in the game. good work though.

I just started and beat the first temple. I heard in a review that you can change your character in game. Do you have to advance to a certain point to be able to do that?

I do have 2 more colors to deal with, so i'll be sure to add detail to the body of the octopus. As far as the tentacles, what did you have in mind?

I would like to add some water effects like the shark examply you speak of.

I do really like how I put the ears in the there and actually cut out a portion of his head like a real octopus

edit : nope, just load a game and it asks

[quote name='icedrake523']I just started and beat the first temple. I heard in a review that you can change your character in game. Do you have to advance to a certain point to be able to do that?[/QUOTE]

I think I read it's when you start up the game you can do that.

[quote name='icedrake523']I just started and beat the first temple. I heard in a review that you can change your character in game. Do you have to advance to a certain point to be able to do that?[/QUOTE]

Easy, click Continue Game from Title Screen, Choose "Yes" when asked if you want to change your character, when in the character selection screen...click Edit in the lower right hand side to choose a custom character that you created or imported.

This game is Zelda on crack... but the good kind of crack, not the cheap kind that pale guy on the corner has.

Seriously though, loving it.

added color and made his tentacles only appear during action sequences. seemed to be a big improvement

not sure what my next endeavor will be. thinking either death, flaming skull flying in mid-air thing, or sprite-like metroid

So I tried to download a gamesave for one of LinkinPrime's created characters and I can't get it on my PS3. I've got the folder with the really long filename loaded to the memory stick and I'm in the PS3 gamesaves area on the PS3 and it shows no available files.

Am I doing this wrong?

[quote name='ZForce915']So I tried to download a gamesave for one of LinkinPrime's created characters and I can't get it on my PS3. I've got the folder with the really long filename loaded to the memory stick and I'm in the PS3 gamesaves area on the PS3 and it shows no available files.

Am I doing this wrong?[/QUOTE]

It's a zipped or rar file. You need to unzip it first, then put it on your PS3.

I'll have to try again later.

On the subject of the game I have a question about the dungeons
Is there often areas you can't access the first time through? I've beaten two of the dungeons and there are keys I need but cannot find

[quote name='ZForce915']Yup, I did that. The file is just a regular folder now.[/QUOTE]

Make sure that the folder with the super long name starting with "BLJM####..." has 4 files: DATA.EDT, PARAM.PFD, ICON0.PNG, and PARAM.SFO. Then make sure that folder is under the following folders in your memory stick:

ms0:\PS3\SAVEDATA\BLJM###...

Where ms0: is your memory stick's drive letter in your "My Computer". Then plug it into your PS3 and go to: Game > Saved Data Utility (PS3) > USB Device. You should see the character there. Press Triangle on it and select Copy.

Play your game. :)

[quote name='Matt Young']Yes, ZForce. At a point, you can
buy colored keys for 1,000 G or get some key that unlocks any colored door.
[/QUOTE]
That is good to know. Seeing that spot in the middle of the first dungeon and not being able to get to it was driving me nuts. I assume you can buy regular keys too? I think that door I couldn't get in to was just a regular one.

[quote name='XClaude']Make sure that the folder with the super long name starting with "BLJM####..." has 4 files: DATA.EDT, PARAM.PFD, ICON0.PNG, and PARAM.SFO. Then make sure that folder is under the following folders in your memory stick:

ms0:\PS3\SAVEDATA\BLJM###...

Where ms0: is your memory stick's drive letter in your "My Computer". Then plug it into your PS3 and go to: Game > Saved Data Utility (PS3) > USB Device. You should see the character there. Press Triangle on it and select Copy.

Play your game. :)[/QUOTE]

That's the trick. I didn't have the folders set up properly. i didn't have the ps3\savedata\ part correct.

[quote name='ZForce915']And now having properly loaded it may I say that Linkin, that Optimus Prime is a thing of beauty.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you got it working...and thank you kindly. I should be able to create an alternate based off the same one, Nemesis Prime...I'll work on that later today.

[quote name='Strell']Looks like Pitfall Harry. With boobs. Delicious cubical boobs.[/QUOTE]

Doh! Now that you mention it. They're similarly dressed. I gotta make her shirt a darker/duller color then. xD Curse the limited color palette!

EDIT:
Ok, Fixed. I changed her color palette to be closer to the Legend game. Download at same link as above.
laracroftv2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I really wish you would have used more blocks on her. Of course if you were going for a desired look or was pressed for time then disregard...

If you have a basic, flat, 2D shape to start with, you basically want to make 4-8 layers that are identical, then chip away from you character like a sculptor would and add definition. If you need pointers I'm sure theres a bunch that could help. You choice in colors on the final version are good, but it doesn't really require a giant talent to make these sprites. It takes getting used to at first, but if you have a general idea of what you're after and have some experience with the editor, you can usually bang em out.

[quote name='Strell']Looks like Pitfall Harry. With boobs. Delicious cubical boobs.[/QUOTE]

This quote is win.

I like it. I haven't d/l it and seen it in action, but I like the break from everyone's squatty guys.

[quote name='shadowkast']hey kurrptsenate, you see someone on georama did a 3d metroid? It's not yours is it? It's pretty good but I like your free floating look better.[/QUOTE]

nope, haven't made one in the actual game yet but i will give that one a look. thanks for the heads up. when I do make one you can be sure that I post it here

after taking a look, I do think he idea was creative but i would have done it a bit different. I do like that he used black to give the look that it was a little hollow/translucent I will say. The teeth seemed a little much. Definitely makes me want to finish my flaming skull faster to work on mine next

Man, this game gets boring quick TBH. Having a hard time finishing it since it's the final dungeon and just tedious. I think they overdid it with making the swords so OP when you're at full health. I mean, nothing feels remotely challenging except a few bosses and even those can be cheesed fairly easy. It falls into the same category of the later Tomb Raiders, where it's 'go here, collect this' ad naseum.

WTB Demon's Souls 2, PST!

[quote name='Jodou']It falls into the same category of the later Tomb Raiders, where it's 'go here, collect this' ad naseum.
[/QUOTE]

That's the same way Zelda was.

[quote name='Matt Young']That's the same way Zelda was.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Link couldn't clear the entire screen and into the next rooms with one swing.

[quote name='Matt Young']I quoted a specific part of your post because that was the part I was referring to; nothing else.[/QUOTE]
Well, if you're going to take things out of context, why bother?

Actually, I don't care.

bread's done
Back