$5 Amazon Promo Credit for Editor's Choice Best Games of 2013

ea_woods

CAGiversary!
Check your email folders for the promo notification to see if you got the credit. Link and details below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000728511

"Our Editor's Choice Best Games of 2013 are below. Customers will receive a $5 promotional credit for each qualifying purchase (any purchase from the Digital Games store, excluding free items), but the promotional credits cannot be stacked on top of each other when they are used. Customers who qualify for this promotional credit will receive the notification e-mail on or within 48 hours after January 3, 2014. Please remember: Holiday promotional credits given out for Digital Games purchases cannot be redeemed until January 4, 2014 and must be used by January 31, 2014. "

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ten or eleven of the credits from purchases I made during the sale.  When I went to the Editor's Choice 2013 page just now, the only game that applied the $5 promo was NBA 2K14.  If anyone from Amazon is watching, please let us know when the credits will work with all of the games on the page!

Yea, not seeing the $5 being applied to Crysis 3, even though it's on the page.  Oh well, have a big enough backlog already.

Talked to Amazon Rep about the credit not applying to any of the sales items on the editor's list.. They said it will kick in $5 discount starting on January 5th.. which is ironic since most of these games on the list will be out of sale on Sunday...

Just so you guys know, it's not like the deals for us PC Gamers solitaire players are any great shakes either.

The selection is very limited and the price points even after the $5 is deducted (if it were working which at this point it is not) are higher or equivalent to what those games have been selling for on other recent sales.

Maybe something will come along later but it's not like anyone's really using those discounts right now anyway.

Pissed right now. I bought Bioshock Infinite and the credit wasn't applied.
If you don't see the promo at checkout it isn't applied. Plus it should EB obvious that whatever the final price on the checkout page is is what you're going to pay. You should have waited until you heard if the coupons were working yet.

Looks like Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Xcom are the deals here. Along with some DLC.

Also Dead Space 3 if you didn't pick up the EA humble Bundle. Although Awakened would be a nice pickup if you did grab the EA HB.

If you don't see the promo at checkout it isn't applied. Plus it should EB obvious that whatever the final price on the checkout page is is what you're going to pay. You should have waited until you heard if the coupons were working yet.
I don't usually buy digital games on Amazon (I prefer discs/carts), so I wasn't sure how that worked. I was hoping it would be applied after I bought it. But you're right, it should have been obvious. I guess I was being hasty and assumed everything was good to go because today is Jan 4th. Not doing that anymore with Amazon.

I don't usually buy digital games on Amazon (I prefer discs/carts), so I wasn't sure how that worked. I was hoping it would be applied after I bought it. But you're right, it should have been obvious. I guess I being hasty. Not doing that anymore with Amazon.
Just for in the future, gift cards and promo credits work the same way no matter what you buy, just make sure to check the final price.

If you haven't redeemed your key yet, you could probably get ahold of customer service and let them know what's up, they might be able to help you out.

Since when does Editor Choice mean the Origin shit pile? This is literally an Origin sale.
Read a few posts back, EA was the first publisher to respond and get their games set up, almost everyone else was out of the office for the holidays so Amazon is still waiting for confirmation from them. They can't just throe any game they want on there :p

EA as a corporation is far from responsible for its subsidiaries coming out with bad games. I love BioWare games and their devs have said EA is largely hands off... So the developers who made the crappy games are the ones responsible... Seemingly people just like the easy escape-goat and hating on corporations.
EA employee I take it? :D

Read a few posts back, EA was the first publisher to respond and get their games set up, almost everyone else was out of the office for the holidays so Amazon is still waiting for confirmation from them. They can't just throe any game they want on there :p
http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1udv90/amazon_2014_editors_choice_crysis_3_10_dead_space/

Deals 1/4 – 1/6:

Name Price SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow [13] 22.99 SimCity Cities of Tomorrow [14] 22.99 SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow (Mac) [15] 22.99 SimCity - Standard (Mac)[16] 19.99 SimCity - Standard Edition [17] 19.99 SimCity [18] 19.99 SimCity Cities of Tomorrow [19] 19.99 SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow [20] 19.99 SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow (Mac) [21]

They would immediately respond and make sure SimShitty is out in the open under 9 different SKU's so you don't accidentally read over it.

I'll be back in a few days. Get this origin shit buried with other deals.

This thread is like those little glass cubicles they had at the airports for the smokers (do they still have those?).

Credit's applying to Bioshock Infinite, at least for me; $5's likely the lowest it'll go until the summer sales start up. Too bad Enemy within is at $15 instead of $10, or I'd be blowing through a second credit.

Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3 might be good if the credit works while they're still $10, but I'm not going to try it.

EDIT: I tried it anyways. Promo doesn't apply to Dead Space, and I can't actually see the checkout page for Crysis without linking an Origin account with my Amazon account, which seems all sorts of wrong.

EDIT 2: Apparently Bioshock's already back up to a full $40. I guess there was only a very short window of opportunity.

Hahaha...like 30 mins ago I followed the link in my email from my phone to see the list of Amazon titles for the sale... Bioshock for $9.99, not bad, I'll pay $5 for it.. I login just now from my computer and it's now $39.99

Credit's applying to Bioshock Infinite, at least for me; $5's likely the lowest it'll go until the summer sales start up. Too bad Enemy within is at $15 instead of $10, or I'd be blowing through a second credit.

Crysis 3 or Dead Space 3 might be good if the credit works while they're still $10, but I'm not going to try it.
EDIT: I tried it anyways. Promo doesn't apply to Dead Space, and I can't actually see the checkout page for Crysis without linking an Origin account with my Amazon account, which seems all sorts of wrong.

EDIT 2: Apparently Bioshock's already back up to a full $40. I guess there was only a very short window of opportunity.
You probably had credit from another promotion, a lot of people thought their EC coupons were working earlier when it was just credit they had accumulated from other purchases.

EDIT: Also, the 2K deals don't start until tomorrow, which is why it's full price again

Glad to know the discount isn't really working...but seems to be working for some. There's nothing I want, and it sounds like the deals really start tomorrow? This is all confusing.

What criteria has to be met to be an amazon editors choice best of 2013? because there's like five items relating to Sims... because that's on everyone's best of 2013 list right? Contrast too? Lol

just as expected, they bumped up most games prices for this "deal." for example, bioshock infinite has been $20 for all platforms for months. Coincidence that it happens to be $40 during this promotion? I think not.

the only ones I see worth it are for crysis 3 and SIM city (if that game even works)

Glad to know the discount isn't really working...but seems to be working for some. There's nothing I want, and it sounds like the deals really start tomorrow? This is all confusing.
Coupons should be working for everyone now, if not just wait a few more minutes.

Only EA deals are active at the moment, as well as a few miscellaneous ones. 2K deals start tomorrow and then there should be a lot more deals added on Monday once Amazon hears back from other publishers.

The deals will change throughout the month, games will be added and removed, prices will fluctuate too as things get price matched to Steam deals.

The deals that are going on right now though will only be available for the weekend so if there's anything you're interested in, get it now, if not just wait for the other deals.

If any of you want to stay up to date on the deals as they go live, I highly suggest going to the main Amazon PCDD thread, that's where all updates will be posted. We aren't going to keep jumping hack and forth between this thread an the main one repeating everything because once the sales start, they are going to change all the time.

You probably had credit from another promotion, a lot of people thought their EC coupons were working earlier when it was just credit they had accumulated from other purchases.

EDIT: Also, the 2K deals don't start until tomorrow, which is why it's full price again
Huh. Going back through my emails, I did have a promo credit for $5 off a digital purchase that's apparently good through May 4, 2014, but you'd think it would've applied to any of the five digital purchases I'd made since then, or that it would've applied to Dead Space 3 when I checked with that. I can't find the specific terms and conditions for that offer, though, nor can I figure out why ordering a 16GB Vita card would've entitled me to that credit.

Adding another full-price copy of Bioshock to my cart does apply another $5 credit, though, so if nothing else the new promo codes are applying now even if I only imagined they were half an hour ago.

At the end of the day, I still ended up with a $5 code for Bioshock Infinite, and that's all that really counts, in my opinion.

What criteria has to be met to be an amazon editors choice best of 2013? because there's like five items relating to Sims... because that's on everyone's best of 2013 list right? Contrast too? Lol

just as expected, they bumped up most games prices for this "deal." for example, bioshock infinite has been $20 for all platforms for months. Coincidence that it happens to be $40 during this promotion? I think not.

the only ones I see worth it are for crysis 3 and SIM city (if that game even works)
The day they choose he games is they have Amazon workers compile a list of games based off of feedback from the community and things they personally wan ton there. They send the lists out to different publishers to negotiate sale prices with them. A lot of deals here denied or the prices get changed, play the publishers force them to include certain games, which is why Sim city and BF4 are on there. (Plus believe it or not, a lot of people actually suggested those)

BioShock is full price because 2K sales don't start until 1/5

I should have pulled the trigger on the $5 B:I. I beat it on 360 but would love to play the DLC as I traded in my game shortly after release for $50.

Guess that's how good deals go. You dont jump on it while its glitched then you lose out

Totally forgot about Crysis 3.  Loved the first 2, but the third somehow slipped past me.  For $5, oh hell yeah, I'm in.

Downloading now!

I have about $30 in gift card credit and I don't wanna use it but when I try to buy a digital content it applies the gift card credit and it won't let me un-apply it. Does anyone know how? On the subject of the $5 credit, I was hoping I'd be able to use it towards the last of us season pass but guess I can't. I think I'm better off getting it off the ps store cause I don't have to pay tax and on amazon I do. BTW, does anyone know if TLOU season pass owners will receive the preorder bonuses from the left behind dlc?

Totally forgot about Crysis 3. Loved the first 2, but the third somehow slipped past me. For $5, oh hell yeah, I'm in. Downloading now!
Totally worth it. It's good not great. Looks fantastic. The shooting and stealth mechanics are great and switching between stealth and action on the fly makes it so enjoyable, despite all the levels being basically the same, making it a bit repetitive.

I do appreciate that it's more akin to the original crysis, as the levels are more open with lots of optional areas to explore for optional objectives that make your character better.

The day they choose he games is they have Amazon workers compile a list of games based off of feedback from the community and things they personally wan ton there. They send the lists out to different publishers to negotiate sale prices with them. A lot of deals here denied or the prices get changed, play the publishers force them to include certain games, which is why Sim city and BF4 are on there. (Plus believe it or not, a lot of people actually suggested those)

BioShock is full price because 2K sales don't start until 1/5
Makes sense, but it doesn't make the deal any less silly to me, as most (all?) of these games have constantly been on sale for much cheaper, notably on Amazon itself.

I also infer that Amazon puts publishers' preferences over the user preference. The evidence makes it obvious: more than half of these games are published by EA, and half of those are SIMS expansion packs. The others are by 2k.

it's more like "best of 2013 for EA and 2K" lol

UcanSUKtheFAC, you're being almost pleasant here. Why can't you bring that civility to the PlayStation thread and elsewhere?
the only difference is that in this thread, when I object to a deal, I dont get bombarded with hateful responses. Over in the PSN thread, the above posts would be considered "whining." If there was unpleasantness coming from me, it was most likely a response to someone else. I've learned to simply not defend my comments anymore lol.

Makes sense, but it doesn't make the deal any less silly to me, as most (all?) of these games have constantly been on sale for much cheaper
Discounting the morning $5 glitch, the post-coupon price for BSI will be $8.49 which is a little cheaper than the $10 it was on the winter sales at Amazon, Steam, etc. I don't recall if GMG had it for $8 after voucher or not but Amazon doesn't acknowledge GMG's sales anyway.

-Sees XCOM: EW for $15 day before this promo, but waits-

-Sees XCOM:EW for $30 day of the promo, with $5 off.-

FML.
2K games aren't on sale yet. The EC sale is a month long event with games on the list moving on and off of a "regular" sale price that you can stack your coupons with. It'll be a lower base price tomorrow from what I understand.

Discounting the morning $5 glitch, the post-coupon price for BSI will be $8.49 which is a little cheaper than the $10 it was on the winter sales at Amazon, Steam, etc. I don't recall if GMG had it for $8 after voucher or not but Amazon doesn't acknowledge GMG's sales anyway.
wasn't aware that the prices for these games will eventually change. Also surprised that amazon is letting us stack the $5 coupon with an on-sale product.

Here was the preliminary list (at the time, Tony was still getting publisher responses):

Ace Patrol Bundle - $5.99 

BATTLEFIELD 2142 DELUXE EDITION - $7.99 

BioShock Infinite  - $13.1967 

Contrast  - $11.99 

Crysis 3  - $9.99 

Dead Space 3  - $9.99 

Dead Space 3: Awakened  - $8.49 

F1 2013  - $24.99 

F1 2013 Classic Edition  - $32.49 

FIFA 14 [Instant Access] - $28.99 

FIFA 14  - $28.99 

Final Exam  - $7.99 

NBA 2K14  - $19.99 

Need For Speed Rivals  - $29.99 

Need for Speed Rivals:  [Instant Access] - $29.99 

SimCity - Standard (Online Game Code) (Mac) - $19.99 

SimCity - Standard Edition  - $19.99 

SimCity [Instant Access] - $19.99 

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified   - $14.99 

The Sims 3 70's, 80's and 90's Stuff  - $9.99 

The Sims 3 Dragon Valley  - $9.99 

The Sims 3 Into the Future   - $17.99 

The Sims 3 Island Paradise - Standard Edition  - $14.99 

The Sims 3 Monte Vista  - $9.99 

The Sims 3 Movie Stuff  - $9.99 

The Sims 3 Starter Pack  - $9.99 

The XCOM Collection  - $14.99 

XCOM: Enemy Within  - $19.99

Not all those will be on sale at one time.  Especially if a game from the list is at MSRP, wait for the sale price to hit.  It's not a one-day or weekend sale, it's meant to go through the month so prices will rotate.

the only difference is that in this thread, when I object to a deal, I dont get bombarded with hateful responses. Over in the PSN thread, the above posts would be considered "whining." If there was unpleasantness coming from me, it was most likely a response to someone else. I've learned to simply not defend my comments anymore lol.
Well, to play devil's advocate, you expected Sony to give away PS4 games every month. I'm sure they'll get there eventually but PS4 is so new right now that if they started with giving away games for it every month, no one would ever buy games for it.

I'd personally like to see more Vita games - there's only two a month and 30% of the time it's a PSP game. Another 30% of the time, the games are complete crap. So if they do the same with PS4, which is unfortunately likely, I ask that you continue to remain cordial.

Well, to play devil's advocate, you expected Sony to give away PS4 games every month. I'm sure they'll get there eventually but PS4 is so new right now that if they started with giving away games for it every month, no one would ever buy games for it.

I'd personally like to see more Vita games - there's only two a month and 30% of the time it's a PSP game. Another 30% of the time, the games are complete crap. So if they do the same with PS4, which is unfortunately likely, I ask that you continue to remain cordial.
your suggestion is duly noted. Bring it up at the next CAG board meeting.

FWIW, Greenman Gaming did have it $8 ($10 with a 20% off voucher on top) around Black Friday and Cyber Monday. So did Gamefly, who also then repeated the deal on December 15th.

Amazon's deal is close to, but slightly higher than the cheapest it has been to date. Not a terrible deal but nothing new or Earth shattering either. I'm sure it will go 75% off w/ additional 20% off voucher at GMG and GF again sooner or later.

*Edited to add: Also Greenman Gaming doesn't charge sales tax in the US and Gamefly doesn't seem to charge it in most states while Amazon lately does.

Unless you live at a McDonald's in Oregon, of course.

Here was the preliminary list (at the time, Tony was still getting publisher responses):
Ace Patrol Bundle - $5.99
BATTLEFIELD 2142 DELUXE EDITION - $7.99
BioShock Infinite - $13.1967
Contrast - $11.99
Crysis 3 - $9.99
Dead Space 3 - $9.99
Dead Space 3: Awakened - $8.49
F1 2013 - $24.99
F1 2013 Classic Edition - $32.49
FIFA 14 [Instant Access] - $28.99
FIFA 14 - $28.99
Final Exam - $7.99
NBA 2K14 - $19.99
Need For Speed Rivals - $29.99
Need for Speed Rivals: [Instant Access] - $29.99
SimCity - Standard (Online Game Code) (Mac) - $19.99
SimCity - Standard Edition - $19.99
SimCity [Instant Access] - $19.99
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - $14.99
The Sims 3 70's, 80's and 90's Stuff - $9.99
The Sims 3 Dragon Valley - $9.99
The Sims 3 Into the Future - $17.99
The Sims 3 Island Paradise - Standard Edition - $14.99
The Sims 3 Monte Vista - $9.99
The Sims 3 Movie Stuff - $9.99
The Sims 3 Starter Pack - $9.99
The XCOM Collection - $14.99
XCOM: Enemy Within - $19.99

Not all those will be on sale at one time. Especially if a game from the list is at MSRP, wait for the sale price to hit. It's not a one-day or weekend sale, it's meant to go through the month so prices will rotate.
I see a lot of unaware consumers buying B:I today and regretfully finding out the price tomorrow. I know - tough nuggies and you should do your research, but Amazon has an obligation here too. It's not fun to constantly come back to amazon to check prices, or hold off buying something under the concern that it might change. It's messy and confusing for non-CAGGERS, that's for sure.

bread's done
Back