Accepting Paypal friends & family/gifting payments on CAG. (Updated 6/15/2016)

[quote name='MikeBastard']Shrike left a message in my thread where I was asking for gift paypal for a PS3. Of course I would have accepted non-gift paypal and it would have only been 8 bucks more for a close to $300 purchase. I can see not doing gift for that purchase, but it's annoying for an item that might only cost a few bucks. Oh well, rules are rules I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to point out that several years ago, when I bought a PS3 from someone (on CAG, no less) and Paypal found in "my favor", I got $0 back. Nothing. Not even a "sorry." The "protection" that Paypal provides is non-existent.

To pretend like you're any safer when it is a "GIFT" v PRODUCT is laughable.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I'd like to point out that several years ago, when I bought a PS3 from someone (on CAG, no less) and Paypal found in "my favor", I got $0 back. Nothing. Not even a "sorry." The "protection" that Paypal provides is non-existent.

To pretend like you're any safer when it is a "GIFT" v PRODUCT is laughable.[/QUOTE]

As you said, that was several years ago. I have had Paypal protection restore complete funds to my account on two separate occasions within the last 3 years. It works.

[quote name='allyourblood']As you said, that was several years ago. I have had Paypal protection restore complete funds to my account on two separate occasions within the last 3 years. It works.[/QUOTE]

07-21-2007 Re: PS3 [The last PM I have from the person, so the dispute was likely August]

I still have the PMs stored in my inbox here. The reality is this: my issue happened during the same time frame and, if the money is moved, Paypal will still not return money to you if they can't recover it.

[Just to show I'm not a complete cynic, I will say I've had successes as well with the process as seller AND buyer, but the point stands that the protection is absent if they don't win, neither do you.]

[quote name='wbc1228']Paypal's position on this issue is crystal clear.

"You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment."
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside#receiving_payments

What part of that sentence do you not understand?
The NOT part?[/QUOTE]

Wow, you went from being decent to getting all sassy and in-my-face.

It's not a lack of understanding on my part, for what it's worth. The word "impose" is too extreme to cover the case of me simply requesting that the buyer pays the fees. Check it out:

im⋅pose [im-pohz] verb, -posed, -pos⋅ing.
–verb (used with object)
1.to lay on or set as something to be borne, endured, obeyed, fulfilled, paid, etc.: to impose taxes.
2.to put or set by or as if by authority: to impose one's personal preference on others.
3.to obtrude or thrust (oneself, one's company, etc.) upon others.
4.to pass or palm off fraudulently or deceptively: He imposed his pretentious books on the public.
5.Printing. to lay (type pages, plates, etc.) in proper order on an imposing stone or the like and secure in a chase for printing.
6.to lay on or inflict, as a penalty.
7.Archaic. to put or place on something, or in a particular place.
8.Obsolete. to lay on (the hands) ceremonially, as in confirmation or ordination.http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/impose

Basically, I can't force the buyer to pay the fees. But I certainly don't see where it says I can't ask. If you do, feel free to enlighten me. Sassy pants.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Are you saying that as a seller, he shouldn't be able to set his pricing to whatever he wants? If he sells a game for $20, who's to say he is not really only charging $18 for the game, but $2 to cover fees? Will you be able to understand his intentions? No, stop acting like it.
[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not trying to dictate him or anyone else in setting the price.
Learn to read!
I'm saying he is not permitted to ask the buyer for additional money when paying with paypal.
As long as he charges everyone that price, it is fine.
The terms and conditions are clear written out, not "shoddy" as suggested.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']
Most of us are competent enough to automatically include any fees or shipping or packaging costs; along with our perceived value of the item when selling on here. Economics 101 or Common Sense 101, either way, most of us have taken the course.

Get off your high horses and post somewhere else. You can't control anyone else but yourself, stop trying to by posting in a forum.

Boom.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to control or brainwash anyone.
Stop making random assumptions.
And no, I don't have a horse.

[quote name='wbc1228']No, I'm not trying to dictate him or anyone else in setting the price.
Learn to read!
I'm saying he is not permitted to ask the buyer for additional money when paying with paypal.
As long as he charges everyone that price, it is fine.
The terms and conditions are clear written out, not "shoddy" as suggested.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see where it says I can't ask. Please help me understand.

I love all the people in here that wish they could play moderator. It's like "bring your kid to work-day", only the kid is retarded and won't shut up and pisses off the fellow workers.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']I just don't see where it says I can't ask. Please help me understand.[/QUOTE]

You're asking the buyer to pay an additional fee, a fee that is forbidden by paypal.
I give up. I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this issue.

PS
Rereading my previous reply, I was indeed kind of sassy.
Sorry...wasn't trying to be mean.
To me, paypal's position regarding this issue is clear.

PSS
Don't get me wrong, I hate paypal.
I used paypal for almost 10 years (June 10, 2000) and I have seen both buyers/sellers get scammed on countless occasions.

[quote name='wbc1228']You're asking the buyer to pay an additional fee, a fee that is forbidden by paypal.
I give up. I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this issue.

PS
Rereading my previous reply, I was indeed kind of sassy.
Sorry...wasn't trying to be mean.
To me, paypal's position regarding this issue is clear.

PSS
Don't get me wrong, I hate paypal.
I used paypal for almost 10 years (June 10, 2000) and I have seen both buyers/sellers get scammed on countless occasions.[/QUOTE]

I agree - I believe it's coming down to the way we're interpreting "ask" and "impose", and there's probably little sense in discussing it further.

No sweat on the sass. We disagreed. Sass'll happen. Thanks for addressing it.

I am one of the victim of this. action by paypal I have some $ because of this..
5.gif

Would be acceptable to add a handling fee to each order to cover packing, driving to PO etc of say $.30 and 2.9% of the total sale price?

[quote name='kklems']Would be acceptable to add a handling fee to each order to cover packing, driving to PO etc of say $.30 and 2.9% of the total sale price?[/QUOTE]

The best idea would be to just include that stuff in your selling price.

Originally Posted by From Paypal UA on Fees:
A Personal Payment is: Amounts sent to a friend or family member without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill

According to this, I would assume that it is within PayPal rules to send personal payments for PSN GameShares.
After all, an individual is paying for a single game that's supposed to be for 5 different persons (friends), and the 4 other persons are paying for their share of the Game (The bill).
Am I wrong?

Paypal is really pissing me off lately. Putting fees on everything. It seems cheaper to get a damn Money Order like the old days some of the time.

[quote name='t0rment0r']According to this, I would assume that it is within PayPal rules to send personal payments for PSN GameShares.
After all, an individual is paying for a single game that's supposed to be for 5 different persons (friends), and the 4 other persons are paying for their share of the Game (The bill).
Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]See earlier in the thread. Yes, it's allowed for PSN gameshares and Steam multipacks.

This is all pretty damn retarded. I mean, really retarded. Seriously, why should it concern anyone if I want to send someone a gift payment? It really doesn't matter what the evil empire's (Paypal's) policies are, they are not legally binding and only involve the user and Paypal. This is the same stupid uneducated BS I'm used to hearing from kids about Steam (user policies, blah blah blah). Why are you so determined to help those scam artists enforce their policies, and why should that have anything to do with people who just want to send some cash to a user they trust? Don't say it's not about Paypal's policies, or else why the hell did you even bring them up? It's not the job of anyone to enforce Paypal's policies, and all it does is ***k up the flow of money/goods on this site and make me not want to buy anything.

Why would we enforce Paypal's terms of service and not Steam's?

While we're on the topic, are there any other websites whose rules we aren't actively enforcing at this time, that we could be? I really think it's a very serious problem when the billionaire management of a failing financial company, known for countless cases of theft and fraud, can't count on the rest of the Internet to actively enforce its ever-changing rules. I'm glad to know CAG is one of the first to address this sad state of affairs.

Are there any other sites out there whose users we are not yet policing? Maybe we need another thread, just to be sure we're not missing any?

[quote name='allyourblood']As you said, that was several years ago. I have had Paypal protection restore complete funds to my account on two separate occasions within the last 3 years. It works.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like these bags I bought on eBay a couple weeks ago, where the seller had listed the wrong dimensions? I got the bags, wouldn't work for what I needed them for since they were the wrong size, and when I contacted the seller he insisted I pay return shipping even though all I got were some bags that weren't even what I purchased. I filed a Paypal claim and it took those geniuses all of about 12 hours to close the case and tell me I had to pay return shipping on the wrong item. No discussion, no appeal. So yeah, I got my $15 back, but not the $5 I had to pay to fix the seller's mistake for him. So where's the protection?

Buyer protection is extremely notorious (just do a Google search) for being a complete scam. By the way, any guesses where the money comes from when you get it back? Straight out of the seller's account, and if they don't have the funds you're out of luck and you won't get your money back. Yep, that's right folks, Paypal doesn't actually have any liability in this "buyer protection" they offer, and they have no obligation to supply you with a refund. That's in their ToS too. Funny how people can focus on the most irrelevant parts of the Terms of Service and completely overlook something major like that. Take it from me and my ~4000 eBay feedbacks, mostly from selling games. I've been ripped off by Paypal's "buyer protection" both as a buyer and a selller, numerous times. There's nothing "good" about Paypal and their shady policies certainly don't deserve any special attention from CAG.

But of course, we have to make sure that, since people around here prefer to use Paypal, they are following the rules when they do so. Otherwise, as (someone) seems to be suggesting, they might stop hooking us up with all those special CAG discounts they're always tossing our way, lol.

Oh right, I forgot, the point was that Paypal might notice the loss of revenue from some percentage of the .001% of all Paypal transactions represented by this site that they obviously pay real close attention to, and take vengeance on this website by doing... something?

GAH!!! I'm confused!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like Paypal's policies and how they conduct business, don't use them. There's other options out there, as we've discussed previously.

If you do use them, you're going to abide by their TOS.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you don't like Paypal's policies and how they conduct business, don't use them. There's other options out there, as we've discussed previously.

If you do use them, you're going to abide by their TOS.[/QUOTE]

LOL no. Who do you think you are trying to intervene in private contracts between people you have no power over? You can kindly file this under the many things that are none of your damn business. What do you think gives you power to enforce paypal's TOS?

I never thought paypals fees were ever really all that bad. At least not compared to ebays ><

Also...since you are conducting this "business" on this site..they do have a right to enforce whatever rules they see fit, as they are put in charge by the people who own the site. And again they do have power over you in the fact that if you use their site to do something they don't want you to do, because they feel upholding another businesses TOS due to complaints about it or whatever, its completely within their right, and they can ban you from using their site to do your business. Don't like it? Then leave. I know that sounds dick, but again, this is their site, and they have a right to set the rules, and by joining, you agree to either abide by them or get out.

Also paypal IS a business, so they do have to pay for stuff, and signing up and getting an account is (at least in my experience) completely free. And again I feel their fees are rather tame, at least in my experience. And just because some of you may have had a bad experience doesn't necessarily mean many other people have not been helped. I mean if you were to have an issue in the real business world, you would have to probably pay quite a bit just to try and get your money back if the person refused, having to go to court, pay the gas, pay the legal fees, pay whatever. And sadly there is still some risk buying online, and sometimes you get shafted, which is why you should attempt to do as much research as you can about the person/people you are buying from. And to make it clear, yes I have had a transaction where the person could not ship me something, but never refunded me, and paypal could do little due to how the person I purchased from had no money in their account/the account was frozen. I cannot recall however if you use a card to pay through paypal, if you can contact your card company to do a reversal or block, especially for larger $$$ purchases, but in this case I had used money straight from my paypal account, but for me, it was only 10 or so dollars.

Still as said, there are other options out there to use, and if someone refuses to use anything other than paypal, look up the fees, and see if, depending on the item, is it really worth it to cry and moan about a buck fifty, or due the trade. Might not be the fairest thing in the world, but what is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']LOL no. Who do you think you are trying to intervene in private contracts between people you have no power over? You can kindly file this under the many things that are none of your damn business. What do you think gives you power to enforce paypal's TOS?[/QUOTE]

Either many people were complaining or paypal decided to bitch at CAG to enforce the rules.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']LOL no. Who do you think you are trying to intervene in private contracts between people you have no power over? You can kindly file this under the many things that are none of your damn business. What do you think gives you power to enforce paypal's TOS?[/QUOTE]

CAG is a service provided for free, you are using their service. Therefore you have to abide by their rules, and if they choose to enfore PayPal's TOS that's their right.

Moderation would not bring this up and take the time to create and promote a post unless it needed to be discussed. If you want to violate PP TOS then please do so on a different board

Well I think Sony's service is being taken advantage of. Random peoples acting as the buyer's friends aint right. If you read What Jack Trenton(Im sure its him) originally said, was that the user could take their account to their friend's console. Log in and play his/her games. This means a real friend. Why isnt this being reinforced? I dont think ppls see how developers are being hurt by this theft of sales. A game can be bought once and shared up to 5 accounts. So if a game is worth $5 and shared with 5 users, the developer aint getting $25 that he should get, he only gets $5.

This shouldn't be compared to Steam's service as they have "guest" passes for a reason. Plus they have the 4 packs for a reason...to buy with multiple people in mind. PSN games are cheap $5+ games not meant to be shared online like its being done. But no one will do anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I dont agree with the new rules but can deal with it. I am a ebay seller too and sucks being charged 2 fees but that can you do? If anything CAG should force ppls to use Amazon's service from now on or something. That way we dont gotta deal with paypal's crap.

Late to the party, but... I don't think it is the place of this site to enforce another site's TOS unless there is some affiliation between the two.

However, I would understand if a rule were in place with within CAG that barred (and eventually banned) those who openly advertising and requesting 'gift paypal'. Whatever people do and whatever risks they take privately is their business.

There are other options out there for payment methods besides Paypal. You're more than welcome to use those, though if you're going to use Paypal, you'll be following their TOS for payments.

This sure did make things confusing. So let me get this straight.

Don't use Gift for payments.
Use personal Payments for steam 4=packs and PSN stuff. (No Fee?)
Use the actual payment option for everything else.

I just wanted to buy the Madballs four pack XD

Paypal said there were no issues with doing personal payments for a share of a Steam 4-pack. See the posts earlier in the thread from Paypal.

A Personal Payment is:Amounts sent to a friend or family member without a purchase. Personal Payments include, but are not limited to, sending a gift to a friend, or paying a friend back for your share of a lunch bill; and Personal Payments must be sent between two individual persons (not to or from a business)
we are all family here so its alll good:):)

@darknight88 JUst do it for CAG not Ebay/Paypal

Last edited:
[quote name='Reikon']This is why I've been trying to promote Amazon Payments for so long, but nobody wants to use it. There are no fees for either side.[/QUOTE]

Been using it -- love Amazon :).

Hey guys,

Figured i should post this. I know its not really allowed to use gift payment, but alot of users requestt it or request for the 3% fee or whatever it is. I am as guilty as the next for this. I received payments both ways, gift or normal on different sites. But, boy i shouldn't have. Paypal locked my account for it. After 1 month of trying to get it resolved, i called them again today, and they finally told me they closed my account, and the 400+ dollars in it will be held for any where between now and 180 days. So my message to all, don't use the gift option. You may be the next. I know its really common here, and many other sites like this, but don't, just add the 2.9% + 30cents in to your final value, and have people pay it that way. At least you wont wind up like me, now not having a paypal account and having to do everything by cash transactions again. Complete bummer, but i guess, on the other hand my own fault, as it is against paypal policy...jsut never thought i would be closed down because of it, with how frequent people use it.

I'm sorry to hear that, Amazon payments is widely used around here aparently, no charges and you can withdraw to your bank account.

I have yet to use it, but the people the recommeneded it to me are highly trusted.

I'd suggest using that over cash trasnactions.

Thanks for the heads up and I am very sorry to hear about your situation. If you don't mind me asking, how often did you have payments go as gifts? This is definitely something that needs to be put out there for everyone to read.

amblix - i was thinking about amazon payments, but then i don't know if its available for canadians? if anyone has some good info, please tell me. I would rather have something other then just cash, i'll send cash to who i have to but amazon payments would be good for users that use it also.

thebob - i would say it was pretty mixed. I sent gift payments half the time maybe? maybe not even. alot of timnes i added to covers fee's. Same with when i sold. It was alyways a mix. Some people gifted, some didn't. Which is what i have seen as the normal here. It seemed like most people wanted or gave gift payments here. So its just what i did. Same with on gametz. But then bam, because of it i got shut down. I wanted to make this public here so people can see that paypal can catch on to it, and will shut your account down. Which really sucks, cuz i'm out 400+ dollars, for maybe 6 months, in which i had put in my account to pay some people then paypal shut it down. Now i'm out that money, and still have to send cash to these people. So really for 400 dollars in transactions, its gonna cost me 800. Horrible horrible horrible it feels, especially cuz now those couple people have to wait for me to get the cash and send it, then wait for mail to get to you. It really sucks for them to, and it could hurt my rep here because of the wait for it all now, which sucks even worse.

thats pretty bogus.

ebay(yes ebay is paypal) is still getting money for gift option.

ebay is ruining this country.

i wish them, comcast, and gamestop would all just die very painfully.

it is bogus. I was super pissed. I mean, everyone uses this option. its complete shit! i just hope there is another way like paypal that people use to make it easier. i'll never be able to have a lowball auction or nething again. People won't want to send cash or money orders. :(

Were you typing things into the message box? I don't see how Paypal can prove that the money wasn't actually "gifted", unless you had some kind of info in the message box.

jjj - basically never. I think on like 3-4 transactions out of i duno how many had just an address, but nothing else. And that was only when gifted to me..anytime i gifted i put nothing

[quote name='gameguy1001']jjj - basically never. I think on like 3-4 transactions out of i duno how many had just an address, but nothing else. And that was only when gifted to me..anytime i gifted i put nothing[/QUOTE]

Even the address pretty much proves that you are shipping something out after receiving the money.

I am not sure how it works though, so I am just guessing.

I am sorry for what happened, but I am glad that you have informed us about this. Thank you.

Yea i can understand that, but on any transaction on or close to the time my account was locked there was nothing. A few addresses were there way before they said anything. And it was only a cpl times. But if people are gifting me money, and giving their address, don't you think paypal would also pick up on them? its all a lot of crap. I just hope it don't happen to other people, and people see this and stop doing it so it does not happen.

twice - well i guess either im horribly unlucky, or they are going to start

Pretty much why I don't use the gift option unless i'm actually gifting. Really sucks for you OP but I had heard of this before. At best you can gift and put no info in the notes section and hope it goes under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if they just randomly put holds on accounts .

Damn man, sorry to hear that but thank you for the warning. You can still do lowballs and if people don't want to send a money order, then they don't have to participate.

thats complete bullshit, paypal has there hands in everyones koolaid. Legally, though, I don't believe they can hold your money. It should be sent to you within 2 weeks.

its a crappy situation, but there is nothing else i can do :(
under their rules part or whatever its called it states that any closed account, the money can be held for up to 180 days, so there is no way out of it i guess, even tho it didn't seem legal to me. my money is my money, no matter the situation. I could see if i had alot of disputes, but with none, i don't see why they would hold it.

as far as the lowballs, i wouldn't say there are many people who would want to send cash/money orders, just cuz it takes too long. Being in canada makes it worse. I would have like no bidders, and completely lose out. And the other options i would take, rightstuf.com gift certs or amazon.ca gift certs, would also take a long while. so alas, i don't think there will be anymore from me. i'll still buy or sell, but people will have to deal with no paypal now.

bread's done
Back