[adult swim thread]

punqsux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
figured id make this for general discussion of as shows...

do you guys think the HB episode "free magilla" will air on the 11th or will it be a year w/o new birdman eps?

[quote name='punqsux']all the 3rd rate episode guides on the net had it listed as airing 9/11/06 so i didnt know for sure, but then after i posted the question i was like "maybe i should just check..?"

^^[/QUOTE]
:lol: Yeah, I'd think they would be a good place to look for when episodes are airing.

I loved Stroker & Hoop this week. Did they get a new intro for the new episodes or is that the same one from the pilot?

Contrary to my screen name, which I chose in 1998 in memory of the great Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Adult Swim is a dismal, disappointing sack of horseshit.

I don't mean to thread-crap, but; hey... I'm a bitter soul. :O

[quote name='Brak']Contrary to my screen name, which I chose in 1998 in memory of the great Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Adult Swim is a dismal, disappointing sack of horseshit.

I don't mean to thread-crap, but; hey... I'm a bitter soul. :O[/QUOTE]
oh no, this dosent have to be a total praising of as programing, what dont you like about it?

[quote name='punqsux']oh no, this dosent have to be a total praising of as programing, what dont you like about it?[/QUOTE]

My main gripe is that Space Ghost Coast to Coast has been shoved to the wayside. That, in my opinion, is/was one of the funniest shows in television history, and their grand-daddy of their "adult cartoon" programming. Why, God? Why? Why is it gone?

Also, The Brak Show almost makes me want to change my screen name. I think the show started of promising, but it just got dumber and dumber as the animation, too, slipped into figures that I've seen in dollar store coloring books.

SeaLab 2021 is hysterical... the first two seasons, that is. After that, they must have realizes that only kids watch Adult Swim and switch gears to writing solely about boobies, sex and bleeped out cuss words. Downward spiral.

Can't say I really like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I'm confused as to how it is classified as "adult"... or "funny", for that matter.

I'm in the minority of loathing Family Guy and Seth McFarland.

I enjoy Futurama, Mission Hill (although there's, like, two episodes total), Home Movies, Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law (from what I've seen in the past) and one of the newer shows, which the masses hate, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and some of the other shows that escape me in my late-night ranting.

Anyway, I think they should change the name of Adult Swim to "Little Kid Swim".

It's ok if you like it. I'm not ragging on anyone for liking it. I was just sorely disappointed by how shitty it turned out to be.

[quote name='Brak']My main gripe is that Space Ghost Coast to Coast has been shoved to the wayside. That, in my opinion, is/was one of the funniest shows in television history, and their grand-daddy of their "adult cartoon" programming. Why, God? Why? Why is it gone?

Also, The Brak Show almost makes me want to change my screen name. I think the show started of promising, but it just got dumber and dumber as the animation, too, slipped into figures that I've seen in dollar store coloring books.

SeaLab 2021 is hysterical... the first two seasons, that is. After that, they must have realizes that only kids watch Adult Swim and switch gears to writing solely about boobies, sex and bleeped out cuss words. Downward spiral.

Can't say I really like Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I'm confused as to how it is classified as "adult"... or "funny", for that matter.

I'm in the minority of loathing Family Guy and Seth McFarland.

I enjoy Futurama, Mission Hill (although there's, like, two episodes total), Home Movies, Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law (from what I've seen in the past) and one of the newer shows, which the masses hate, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and some of the other shows that escape me in my late-night ranting.

Anyway, I think they should change the name of Adult Swim to "Little Kid Swim".

It's ok if you like it. I'm not ragging on anyone for liking it. I was just sorely disappointed by how shitty it turned out to be.[/QUOTE]

ill agree with you about c2c, but im happier they dont make new eps often, the writing style has changes ALOT in the past 10 years, and the show wouldnt be as funny as it once was.

the brak show is awful but i hardly ever watch it, ill always associate the name with cartoon planet (which i just burned to dvd!)

sealab is hit or miss with me, i love 95% of aquateen episodes, great show imo.

i never liked birdman until this third season, imo its been great (sans the valley of dinosaurs..) tom goes to the mayor can be funny, i think the writers need to find their niche, because episodes like porcelin birds are amazing, and i love the animation style.

have you seen venture bros? great show!

[quote name='punqsux']the brak show is awful but i hardly ever watch it, ill always associate the name with cartoon planet (which i just burned to dvd!)[/QUOTE]

Oh, man. I almost forgot about that show. I used to watch it every night. I still have the two Cartoon Planet records... weird, wild shit.

[quote name='punqsux']have you seen venture bros? great show![/QUOTE]

I have, actually. I thought it was well done. Good animation and smart, funny writing. I like The Adventures of Jonny Quest, and I have to say, very good spoof.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']The new Stroker and Hoops have been hilarious. That is all.[/QUOTE]
is anyone capping these? the myspleen crowd apparently dosent like the show and isnt capping them =o(

[quote name='Brak']It's ok if you like it. I'm not ragging on anyone for liking it. I was just sorely disappointed by how shitty it turned out to be.[/QUOTE]
I agree with most of what you said.

I used to be huge into Adult Swim when they first started it (when they played that mambo song from Tito Puente and had old people swimming, "All kids...OUT of the pool!") It was really awesome back then.

Sealab was good at first, then got bad.
I was really into ATHF when it first started, then it got crappy after Season 2. I think the novelty wore off.

Futurama is awesome, Family Guy is DAB (decent at best).

Home Movies was awesome, but they shoved that into a crappy timeslot and let it die a slow death. It's really too bad, it was insanely witty.

Mission hill was great, Baby Blues sadly sucked, hrm what other failed WB animation did they have...

Space Ghost sucked in the beginning when SG was too "hosty", and talked in a scripted manor. It got really though, possibly the best show on the network with episodes like Knifin' Around and Chambragne.

Brak show was good when they had the original mom. The show went far downhill with the british mom.

Harvey Birdman was really good its first season. I haven't kept up with it, so I dunno how it is now. I would suspect that its gimmick could've worn off fairly easily. The Flinstones/Sopranos episode is classic though.

I've seen one episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor, and I liked it. It had a nice dry humor about it, and was pretty original. The animation took getting used to, but it works.

Then there's Venture Brothers. This is such a spectacular show in every way shape and form. Best show currently on the network, they'd better promote the hell out of season 2.

What the hell is with the [as] gimmick though? The "We're just going to type on the TV screen, as if it were an instant message window" was pretty cool for a month or two. But then it got old, quick and hard. Yet here we are, still with the same style, nearly 2 years later? That's one of the main reasons I don't watch Adult Swim any more, it's too pretentious. Start acting like a TV network again, instead of pretending to be the "Lord of cosplaying forum-nerds". I hate it when they take posts off of their message board too, ugh.

To sum up Adult Swim: Most of their stuff started out great, but proved to be too hollow, and fizzled out quickly. In a word, gimmicky.

Venture Bros. is a superb new cartoon that really makes strides in bringing western animation to an older audience. I haven't seen an episode that wasn't interesting.

Aqua Teen is so offbeat that it's funny, you can try to hate it, but eventually you're going to at least crack a smile.

Cowboy Bebop has been running since the block started in 2001 and is a great series, and is quite "adult" in its content.

Home Movies is one of my favorites, I think it's hilarious and clever.

Futurama is great but needs new episodes, the reruns are creative and interesting, but not after 400 airings.

Family guy is funny, but I think Mcfarlane has exhausted his humor muscles.

Inuyasha is pretty much a show for 14-year-old girls, I watch it and like it a lot, but I know it's not "adult".

All in all, Adult Swim is a good block or "network" (it severed ties with Cartoon Network at some point)... People are very anti-Adult Swim because it's cool to dislike what everyone else likes. It has something for just about everyone, everyone who likes cartoons and animation that is.

Oh, and FLCL is an artistic masterpiece, althogh I have a hard time wrapping my head around the plot.

[quote name='evilmax17']I used to be huge into Adult Swim when they first started it (when they played that mambo song from Tito Puente and had old people swimming, "All kids...OUT of the pool!") It was really awesome back then.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same. That format was, to say the least, promising and magical.

I dunno, as time passes I think the programming for adult swim gets stranger and stranger. They push more episdoes of shows that premiered craptacularly and constantly mix comedy in with anime night (Futurama's kind of acceptable, but in October they are putting the Boondocks on saturdays too). For all the shows they now have at their disposal I also wonder why we often see the same things over and over again.

[quote name='punqsux']is anyone capping these? the myspleen crowd apparently dosent like the show and isnt capping them =o([/QUOTE]

Err....my brain isn't really working now and is sort of drawing a blank; what did you mean by this?

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']People are very anti-Adult Swim because it's cool to dislike what everyone else likes.[/QUOTE]

Well, I already think I'm cool, so I don't need to hate Adult Swim to think I'm cool. As I've stated, I hate it because it's terrible.

[quote name='evilmax17'] The "We're just going to type on the TV screen, as if it were an instant message window" was pretty cool for a month or two. But then it got old, quick and hard. Yet here we are, still with the same style, nearly 2 years later? That's one of the main reasons I don't watch Adult Swim any more, it's too pretentious. Start acting like a TV network again, instead of pretending to be the "Lord of cosplaying forum-nerds". I hate it when they take posts off of their message board too, ugh.[/QUOTE]

i love this, its simple and entertaining

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Err....my brain isn't really working now and is sort of drawing a blank; what did you mean by this?[/QUOTE]

Capping = Capturing

Not blastin' it in da 'hood. ;)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Err....my brain isn't really working now and is sort of drawing a blank; what did you mean by this?[/QUOTE]
are there any torrent sites tat have episodes of stroker and hoop avaliable to download?

What new shows/pilots are you guys looking forward to? Here's the list of new stuff.

I"m looking forward to the rest of Stroker & Hoop, Orel Moral, The Boondocks, and maybe Saul of the Mole People, Lucy: Daughter of the Devil, and Minori-Team once I see some clips of the shows.

I'm extremely confused on how Squidbillies, 12 Oz. Mouse, and Perfect Hair Forever got the green light for more episodes when they either sucked or never appeared at all(Squidbillies).

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I dunno, as time passes I think the programming for adult swim gets stranger and stranger. They push more episdoes of shows that premiered craptacularly and constantly mix comedy in with anime night (Futurama's kind of acceptable, but in October they are putting the Boondocks on saturdays too). For all the shows they now have at their disposal I also wonder why we often see the same things over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, especially on the part how they continue to push shows that are simply terrible. Just G-d awful. Take for instance 12 oz Mouse. The table napkin that they use for that to animate it should be burned. It's just stupidity at its greatest.

[quote name='punqsux']i love this, its simple and entertaining[/QUOTE]
Me, too. Some of it is just stupid, but they do some funny bumps like when they answer letters from fans or do some other stuff.

[quote name='Brak']Well, I already think I'm cool, so I don't need to hate Adult Swim to think I'm cool. As I've stated, I hate it because it's terrible.[/QUOTE]

Haha sorry I didn't mean everyone hates it for that reason. Do you really hate every single program they run?

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Do you really hate every single program they run?[/QUOTE]

No. I listed some I liked earlier.

But that shouldn't warrant me liking Adult Swim. It's possible to like parts of the whole and hate the whole.

[quote name='punqsux']are there any torrent sites tat have episodes of stroker and hoop avaliable to download?[/QUOTE]

Oh. I know that there are plenty of sites that are "capping" Venture Bros. and I have seen Stroker and Hoop here and there, but the speeds are just awful for them (I was getting 0.1 kbps) and just turned it off as I found it to be unacceptable.

Funny story on VB though. Everyone, well most people, have been dying for AS to release a VB dvd set . Well when I was at Comic-Con this year there was this one guy/dealer that had the classic Star Wars 70's Holiday Special that will most likely never get to see the light of day again, and then he had all of the episodes of VB on DVD. I nearly bought them there as I have been really wanting them, but decided to pass as the quality was terrible.

another great thing about [as], their dvd releases:

athfdvd4.jpg

i mean look at that, its a work of simplistic art, and i LOVE the type on it, they definetly hire amazing graphics people

[quote name='punqsux']holy crap, crash, 12 oz ruled, i cant wait to see more eps![/QUOTE]
You can't be serious. That show sucked so badly. I hope the artists were really 3 year old Korean kids that they outsourced the animation to because I can't figure out how the fuck they could draw that with absolute seriousness. I watched it in amazement that someone got paid for this one episode and hoped that it never made it futher than the 15 minutes that I wasted watching that show.

So yeah, I don't like it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Funny story on VB though. Everyone, well most people, have been dying for AS to release a VB dvd set . Well when I was at Comic-Con this year there was this one guy/dealer that had the classic Star Wars 70's Holiday Special that will most likely never get to see the light of day again, and then he had all of the episodes of VB on DVD. I nearly bought them there as I have been really wanting them, but decided to pass as the quality was terrible.[/QUOTE]
Just wait, they're coming.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What new shows/pilots are you guys looking forward to? Here's the list of new stuff.

I"m looking forward to the rest of Stroker & Hoop, Orel Moral, The Boondocks, and maybe Saul of the Mole People, Lucy: Daughter of the Devil, and Minori-Team once I see some clips of the shows.

I'm extremely confused on how Squidbillies, 12 Oz. Mouse, and Perfect Hair Forever got the green light for more episodes when they either sucked or never appeared at all(Squidbillies).[/QUOTE]

Though Squidbillies did appear I think, it wasn't well recieved. I don't really mind taking on new comedy originals like those, but my issue is why do that when I could have more episodes of other shows people like better such as Venture Bros., Robot Chicken, Home Movies, etc. Also they seem to be dropping anime right and left in favor of comedy shows (at least as far as time slots go), then complain about how no one watches the anime portions.

imo adult swim play boring anime, other than ghost:sac, lupin, and detective conan, i dont like much of it. i think the comedy stuff is fine, but they should concentrate on more self produced action shows like venture bros, because thats a huge hit for them, when season 2 rolls around youll see how many people love it.

[quote name='punqsux']i love this, its simple and entertaining[/QUOTE]

Actually I must agree with evilmax on this one, the little clips and type bites they have are getting quite annoying IMO. I've started to simply switch the channel during them. I see them as being the same thing as one of their comercials.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Though Squidbillies did appear I think, it wasn't well recieved. I don't really mind taking on new comedy originals like those, but my issue is why do that when I could have more episodes of other shows people like better such as Venture Bros., Robot Chicken, Home Movies, etc. Also they seem to be dropping anime right and left in favor of comedy shows (at least as far as time slots go), then complain about how no one watches the anime portions.[/QUOTE]
I don't remember ever seeing Squidbillies, was it that crappy second half of PHF with Space Ghost interviewing Meatwad, Sharko, and Earl or whatever from SB?

As for the lack of anime, I don't really mind it as they usually get new episodes of their series instead of bringing in new anime, unless they're trying out stuff to see if it's popular. They've had a few flop (Reign and others) but most stick around whereas the comedy stuff is constantly going in and out of the sunday/daily slots. I like the fact that they're bringing in more movies, which is always welcome. I hope that they'd make that a regular thing as long as it leaves room for a couple shows before or afterwards.

I just want more Lupin!!! I know punq agrees with me on that point.

hell yes more lupin, i want them to bring in some lupin movies (i have 8 on dvd, im sure theres more too) id LOVE to see a large audience react to something as bizzare at the secret of mamo

I actually don't like the movies or rather I don't like how they use them. They just interrupt the flow of the series and are able to buy time for things like FMA to catch up on the DVD releases (do we really need breaks in the seasons, they never did in the past...). Even then they are a waste because shows like S-Cry-Ed have been entirely on DVD for some time now. I'm all for the movies actually, but if they want to show them they should put them on Friday or wednesdays or something so they don't interfere with any other on-going series.

edit:
And here's a list of anime that was dropped or radically moved after it's initial run (sometimes even before that maybe):

Witch Hunter Robin
Blue Gender
Case Closed
Kikaider
Reign
Super Milk Chan
Paranoia Agent (for now anyhow)
Wolf's Rain (had maybe 2 runs)

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like they shelve away more anime series than comedy which they at least tend to roatate more and more into their lineups.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You can't be serious. That show sucked so badly. I hope the artists were really 3 year old Korean kids that they outsourced the animation to because I can't figure out how the fuck they could draw that with absolute seriousness. I watched it in amazement that someone got paid for this one episode and hoped that it never made it futher than the 15 minutes that I wasted watching that show.

So yeah, I don't like it.[/QUOTE]

Yaeh, what Tanuki said. The show is terrible. I couldn't stand it after the 3-5 minutes I saw of it. Like I said, Stupidity at its greatest and boring to boot.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I actually don't like the movies or rather I don't like how they use them. They just interrupt the flow of the series and are able to buy time for things like FMA to catch up on the DVD releases (do we really need breaks in the seasons, they never did in the past...). Even then they are a waste because shows like S-Cry-Ed have been entirely on DVD for some time now. I'm all for the movies actually, but if they want to show them they should put them on Friday or wednesdays or something so they don't interfere with any other on-going series.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, as long as they'd make room for the shows that are still showing new episodes, I'd love to see a weekly movie night. Friday interferes with the friday night stuff that CN airs and probably along with the AS stuff that airs on TBS late night. If they could rework the Saturday night schedule and maybe show the movie once on Saturday and once on Thursday and then have the normal Saturday stuff afterwards. That could possibly work, but otherwise it's just best to give the show the week off until next week.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, as long as they'd make room for the shows that are still showing new episodes, I'd love to see a weekly movie night. Friday interferes with the friday night stuff that CN airs and probably along with the AS stuff that airs on TBS late night. If they could rework the Saturday night schedule and maybe show the movie once on Saturday and once on Thursday and then have the normal Saturday stuff afterwards. That could possibly work, but otherwise it's just best to give the show the week off until next week.[/QUOTE]

Actually I think Fridays, would work nicely if you put it at midnight. All you'd miss is some reruns of Duck Dogers, Gundam SEED and .hack. For a weekly movie I'd gladly sacrifice those and TBS's late night line-up is all comedy so they wouldn't be in direct competition exactly. It being a friday I'd never be home to see it more than likely but I can always record it. Or similar to what you just said cut our the same old reruns of Family guy and Futurama and make Thursday an anime movie night.

Adult Swim is really hit or miss with me there are some shows that I love, and I others I cant stand

I really like
Venture Brothers
Harvery Birdman
Futurama
FMA
Samurai Champloo
Home Movies(though I dunno if its on anymore)

Shows that are funny sometimes
Family Guy
Aqua Teen
Sea Lab

My adult swim viewing has really trailed off lately. I did tivo last night's Harvey Birdman and Stroker and Hoop. I really want a sticker that says, "I actually don't exist, I am just a theory," like Cavey Jr. had to wear.

The 5 Diamonds (Dustin, Mike, Neil, Lou "Diamond" Phillips, and the Talking Diamond) were pretty damn funny on Stroker and Hoop. I think they would make a dominant super-group in real life.

12 oz. mouse and its suckage...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1431209#post1431209

My favorite [adult swim] comedy shows are...

ATHF - My favorite show on AS.
Harvey Birdman - Got better and better.
Futurama - Funniest show on AS besides ATHF IMO.
Family Guy - overrated IMO, but funny.
SGC2C - Classic but kinda jumped the shark when they allowed Space Ghost to curse.
Venture Bros. - Great show. The characters are all cool.

These shows are hit and miss for me...

Stroker and Hoop - I had my doubts but there have been a couple of really good episodes so far.
Robot Chicken - It can be downright brilliant at times, then it throws a WTF curve ball at you.
Home Movies - Sometimes it has too much inane conversation but it shines at times.
The Brak Show - When it focuses on Zorak it is better. I am burned out on Brak's stupidity.

Total crap...

12 oz. Mouse - Yes, only one episode but it was that damn bad.
Tom Goes to the Mayor - It disturbes me.
SeaLab 2021 - I started off liking this show. Then I realized just how random it was. To be fair, when it is good it's REAL good but usually the writing just seems slopped together.
Oblongs - I don't like it.

I am sure I left some off.

Before I was so rudely interrupted by the server change:

Favorite Adult Swim shows:
Futurama - Best of the non-original AS shows.
Family Guy - With the new eps. appearing shortly after they air on Fox, it adds some life to the previous episodes.
American Dad - Same as FG, the new eps. airing on AS adds to the show.
Home Movies - Tied for the best AS original show along with Venture Brothers.
Venture Brothers - Tied for the best AS original show along with Home Movies.
Harvey Birdman - The 3rd has done very well in making sure the show stays fresh.
The Oblongs - The great voice actors add to the show.
Stroker and Hoop - Has done a great job as the top new show this season.
Mission Hill - An old AS show that's still great to this day.

Hit or Miss shows:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - When the Mooninites are involved, it's great. Otherwise, it's hit or miss.
Sealab 2021 - When Captain Murphy died, it spelled doom for the show.
Tom Goes to the Mayor - Hits more often than it misses, but not enough to make it a favorite.
Robot Chicken - Only 6-10 minutes of the show seems to have any thought put into it.
The Brak Show - Has some great episodes and has some bad shows, classic hit or miss show.

Total Crap shows:
12 Oz. Mouse - As I've stated in posts above, it's pure crap in cartoon form.
Perfect Hair Forever - Based on the pilot it's pure crap, it could improve in it's new series, but then again, monkeys could fly out of my butt.
Space Ghost Coast to Coast - Besides the rare good shows (the Conan episode for example), it's crap the other 90% of the time.

You people are crazy. All adult swim shows are awesome 'cept Stroker and Hoop, 3rd-current seasons of Sealab, and Squidbillies. Those ones should die.

TOP 5 FAVORITE:
1. Tom Goes To The Mayor
2. Home Movies
3. Space Ghost Coast to Coast
4. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
5. Family Guy/Futurama

bread's done
Back