Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - PvP patch finally out

Has anyone had a problem with their fileplanet keys? I got mine and signed my account up, but now it's saying my login info isn't correct, and when I try to recover it, the emails never come (yes, it's the right email address, and no spam filters). Kinda sucks, been waiting for the open beta for a while now.

[quote name='dragonsho']We should all get on one server so we can quest together. I'm on server 1 right now but I'll switch over.

BTW, what resolution is everyone running at, what settings, and what framerate do you get?

I get around 20-40 on high at 1680x1050[/quote]

Highest settings with no AA or water reflection/animation on. Resolution is 1600x1200 with 25-60 FPS.

[quote name='Nowell']Has anyone had a problem with their fileplanet keys? I got mine and signed my account up, but now it's saying my login info isn't correct, and when I try to recover it, the emails never come (yes, it's the right email address, and no spam filters). Kinda sucks, been waiting for the open beta for a while now.[/quote]

Go to: https://betaregister.ageofconan.com/account/

Left side it should say "Age of Conan Open Beta" with your account name underneath for the game client. If it doesn't take the key you got and add it in to the "Use a key" slot and create one.

If you have an account, click that one and change the password.

*Should work*

Guess their servers are messed up or something. Worked fine, the same password and username I've been using for the last 2 days.

I'm getting 30-40 FPS at 1680x1050 with everything on, AA, shadows, reflection. I've got two 8800GTXs in SLI.
After turning some settings down, I also ran it at 5040x1050 (across three monitors). Does weird things on the side monitors... terrain can cover up the inventory screen, for instance.

icth_conan5040x1050.jpg.jpg
icth_conan5040x1050.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Vroshnak/conan5040x1050.jpg

[quote name='Sideswiper']I'm getting 30-40 FPS at 1680x1050 with everything on, AA, shadows, reflection. I've got two 8800GTXs in SLI.
After turning some settings down, I also ran it at 5040x1050 (across three monitors). Does weird things on the side monitors... terrain can cover up the inventory screen, for instance.

icth_conan5040x1050.jpg.jpg
icth_conan5040x1050.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/Vroshnak/conan5040x1050.jpg[/QUOTE]

Are you using one of those Triple Screen thing-a-mo-bobbers?

[quote name='daphatty']Are you using one of those Triple Screen thing-a-mo-bobbers?[/quote]

Nah I'm using SoftTH, which is a free software solution but can be tricky to set up. It allows 5040x1050, while the TripleHead2Go is capped at 3840x1024.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Wow interface and gfx look pretty bad. I had thought it looked way better. Disappointing :([/QUOTE]

Are you serious? My set up looks as good as oblivion.

Well with Circuit City stocking this at $40, it looks like I'll pick the game up this week. I haven't been playing much of anything lately, so I'm working on rationalizing paying $15 a month to continue playing.

IGN has a "First Impression" review up with another trailer, and it continues to look pretty badass.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/873/873366p1.html

So what's everyone's impressions now that the game is out? I was planning on buying it but the beta was too damn glitchy for me. An NPC's head started spinning vertically and then her boobs were tweakin out. Also it ran like shit for me, dunno why.

So how's the full version?

[quote name='dragonsho']So what's everyone's impressions now that the game is out? I was planning on buying it but the beta was too damn glitchy for me. An NPC's head started spinning vertically and then her boobs were tweakin out. Also it ran like shit for me, dunno why.

So how's the full version?[/quote]

I don't think the game is actually out until Weds?

I've been in beta for a couple weeks and I into the early access that started staurday.

The game is sweet. It makes warcraft look like tricycles. Granted, I've only seen a small portion of it. But so far, if the game keeps up what I have seen, It's very awesome.

Best quests of any mmo by far. And the pvp is pretty fun, but most of that can't be seen till endgame.

Anyone else not get the code for the mount and early access from gamestop? I sent them an email and it was of no help. all they did was say that it should be on my account with them and I can look up the code there or I should have an email and I never got the email and it is not on my account. Infact one item was canceled what was to come with the CE.

It was online. I know the took the CE down about a month ago or so but I never got anything in my email about a change.

EDIT: Well I got the code. I got the email on sunday. I sent the email to them about not geting it friday or saturday so I'm now wondering when they sent the codes out. Did they just send them out or should I have got it when I preordered the game? If they just sent them to everyone then it is nice of them to have put it on the site that we would be able to get in the early access for just 5 bucks more then the game comes out but only to just now send out the codes when you can no longer get early access. I really wish i could get that page for the CE preorder back up. I'm thinking about canceling warhammer with them and going with amazon.

Hell they cancelled the PREMIUM, AGE OF CONAN MINI-ART and I never got an email as to why that was. Did anyone that ordered instore get that? I did however get the book.

I'm looking for the bonus content codes.

if anyone has a spare War Rhino code (Best Buy) or Longbow (Amazon) that they aren't going to use, please PM me.

It's the same old thing with a new coat of paint. Nothing earth shatteringly different. Even the combat system has pretty much been done before (DDO). It's got sweet graphics and fatalities. Other then that it lacks polish (if you want polish try EQ2, LotrOL or WoW) and depth in the beginning. Haven't made it out of tortage yet, but it's actually pretty boring so far. If you don't have a top pf the line PC forget it. You won't get the good graphics so it won't be worth it.

[quote name='dmendro']It's the same old thing with a new coat of paint. Nothing earth shatteringly different. Even the combat system has pretty much been done before (DDO). It's got sweet graphics and fatalities. Other then that it lacks polish (if you want polish try EQ2, LotrOL or WoW) and depth in the beginning. Haven't made it out of tortage yet, but it's actually pretty boring so far. If you don't have a top pf the line PC forget it. You won't get the good graphics so it won't be worth it.[/quote]
That's basically how I felt with the beta, although I have a top of the line PC and it ran pretty awful. The funny thing is I started playing WOW and have been having much more fun with that. The load times on Conan killed me. 5+ minutes sometimes :roll:

[quote name='dragonsho']That's basically how I felt with the beta, although I have a top of the line PC and it ran pretty awful. The funny thing is I started playing WOW and have been having much more fun with that. The load times on Conan killed me. 5+ minutes sometimes :roll:[/QUOTE]

In the last 10 days of beta there were performance patches. The load times dropped to about 20 seconds from 3 minutes for me. And the FPS nearly tripled. I have a core 2 duo 1.8 mhz, and 8800 GT. I get 50 fps on the highest settings in tortage.

I have another friend with a low end system with a 7600 card that was getting 15 FPS on low setting that now gets 40. He went from canceling to keeping.

This game is far more polished than any of the games mentioned above at launch. I could never see going back to WoW's PvE nightmare. I have been waiting for a PvP centric mmo to come out, and it looks like I've found my savior.

The quests and classes are interesting, storylines are bad ass, and the PvP promise at end game with siege warfare is exciting.

The only thing WoW has on AoC to me is:
1) Better PvE content, if raiding and grinding is your thing.
2) Much lower system requirements.
3) Easier to play and master - much more accesible to non-gamers and kids with it's non-M rating.

[quote name='thrustbucket']In the last 10 days of beta there were performance patches. The load times dropped to about 20 seconds from 3 minutes for me. And the FPS nearly tripled. I have a core 2 duo 1.8 mhz, and 8800 GT. I get 50 fps on the highest settings in tortage.

I have another friend with a low end system with a 7600 card that was getting 15 FPS on low setting that now gets 40. He went from canceling to keeping.

This game is far more polished than any of the games mentioned above at launch. I could never see going back to WoW's PvE nightmare. I have been waiting for a PvP centric mmo to come out, and it looks like I've found my savior.

The quests and classes are interesting, storylines are bad ass, and the PvP promise at end game with siege warfare is exciting.

The only thing WoW has on AoC to me is:
1) Better PvE content, if raiding and grinding is your thing.
2) Much lower system requirements.
3) Easier to play and master - much more accesible to non-gamers and kids with it's non-M rating.[/quote]

I'm not sure you are playing the same game. The quests are all the same. Go here kill x number of this, come back, do it again. Boring.

If you are enjoying it kudos. It's the same old thing to this MMO vet.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have another friend with a low end system with a 7600 card that was getting 15 FPS on low setting that now gets 40. He went from canceling to keeping.[/quote]

I have a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, a 7600 GTO.

I get 15 FPS on Low at my native screen resolution (I have a 22" widescreen). I have Shader 2.0 turned on and bloom off, no anti-aliasing. If I turn on Shader 3.0, I get 8 FPS. Turn on Bloom, 6 FPS.

Awful awful. You friend must have a high end Core 2 Duo and 4 GB's of RAM.

Unfortunately World of Warcraft has killed PvE in MMORPGs for the forseeable future. When you have ninety billion subscribers or whatever retarded number it's up to now, there's not a developer in the world that's going to break from that gameplay model (DikuMUD) because let's face it, your game will probably fail.

In other words, every single quest in every single MMORPG from here to the forseeable out is going to be "Kill x Foozles" or "Loot x Bear Asses" or "Kill Big Foozle." You have World of Warcraft to thank for that.

The one angle left is PvP because Blizzard slaughtered PvP by methodically making Battlegrounds, then Arenas, the only viable method of earning PvP rewards. World PvP is dead. No more TM/Southshore raids. No more attacks on major cities. Why bother doing that shit and getting 200 honor per hour when you can join Alterac Valley and literally do nothing and get 2k honor per hour? There's a reason WoW vets abbreviate Alterac Valley "AFKV."

The addition of the Resilience stat raped any gasping PvP/PvE connection to death with a knife. If you and 24 friends kill Illidan, a demi-god who requires months of progression and practice, or Kil'jaden, an intergalactic demon-god who is the honest-to-god head honcho of every demon you've ever encountered, you're weaker than some toolbox who sat AFK in Alterac Valley for a week or two and bought his welfare epics SOLELY because his gear has Resilience (because it's "PvP Gear") and yours does not (because it's "PvE" gear).

Let me repeat that. People who kill the gods of the Warcraft universe are actually weaker than pricks who stand in the corner of Alterac Valley and hit jump every few minutes.

People who play Conan either like the setting or want PvP that is brutal, dangerous, ruthless, and unforgiving. It's the difference between the concepts of "PvP as Sport" and "PvP as War." WoW is obviously PvP as Sport -- typically consensual with no real losses, focus on "games" like Capture the Flag or Capture and Hold -- while Conan is designed to be closer to PvP as War -- often non-consensual (ganking), tangible losses (player-owned structures that can change hands or be destroyed), focus on slaughtering, demoralizing, and humiliating your opponent.

I'm not rushing out to buy Conan because I'm still waiting on reports as to the quality of PvP. I couldn't care less about PvE, I didn't appreciate WoW's "quality" and I don't care about Conan's "inferiority" either. I loved the original Everquest, where all you did to level was sit in one spot and kill the same monsters over and over. It was fun and challenging. I want to play Conan for the challenge and rush of PvP, as well as the petty, cruel satisfaction of corpse-camping a level 1 for an hour of more.

[quote name='dmendro']I have a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, a 7600 GTO.

I get 15 FPS on Low at my native screen resolution (I have a 22" widescreen). I have Shader 2.0 turned on and bloom off, no anti-aliasing. If I turn on Shader 3.0, I get 8 FPS. Turn on Bloom, 6 FPS.

Awful awful. You friend must have a high end Core 2 Duo and 4 GB's of RAM.[/QUOTE]

Your CPU and RAM are fine, but you're getting those frames because your video card is a piece of trash. Go drop $150 on an 8800gt and those problems will go away. A 8800gt would net you anywhere from two to five times the graphical performance. I'm not joking. ("OC" stands for overclocked. Nearly every 8800gt you can buy in stores is overclocked, and warrantied to support that overclocking, so don't worry about heat unless your case already sucks for it. Here is probably the best 8800gt for $155 after rebate, plus it has a lifetime warranty.)

And before I hear "well WoW ran great," WoW could probably run on a vaccuum cleaner in a cardboard box. It's an incredible piece of software that manages to look amazing even with trivial system requirements, however it is pretty much one-of-a-kind in that regard. Any recent 3D game is going to require more power than a 7600gt can put out, especially when you're trying to run it in a 22" native resolution (1680x1200 I'm assuming).

Awful awful. You friend must have a high end Core 2 Duo and 4 GB's of RAM.[/QUOTE]

No actually he has some Athlon 64 that's over a year old, 1 GB of ram and i just found out he has 7600 Sli, so maybe that's the difference.

Your CPU is much better than mine, I have 3 GB of ram and the 8800GT. From what I have seen, this game is 95% video card. Ram seems to only make a difference with loading scenes.

I'm sorry to hear you are getting crappy performance. Make sure you turn all shadows off too.

[quote name='lord ebonstone']
I'm not rushing out to buy Conan because I'm still waiting on reports as to the quality of PvP. I couldn't care less about PvE, I didn't appreciate WoW's "quality" and I don't care about Conan's "inferiority" either. I loved the original Everquest, where all you did to level was sit in one spot and kill the same monsters over and over. It was fun and challenging. I want to play Conan for the challenge and rush of PvP, as well as the petty, cruel satisfaction of corpse-camping a level 1 for an hour of more.[/quote]

I haven't pvp'd much but the people I am talking to that are much higher level than me are enjoying the pvp. The true ffa pvp servers are a lot of fun if ganking is your thing. I get ganked all the time.

I was a big daoc fan but the subscribership got too small. I played wow since launch and quit in the fall of last year, just got way too boring and repititious, and once I found out that Blizzard pretty much admitted they never intended true world pvp or true epic pvp, I was quitsy.

AoC, for now, is scratching the itch I've had for a while to play an mmo.

Awful awful. You friend must have a high end Core 2 Duo and 4 GB's of RAM.[/quote]

I have a 3.0 core 2 duo, 2gb or ram and a 8800gt and got around 20-30 fps at 1680x1050. I'll probably play it when it gets more polished and also wait on it just to see if there's even a community for it in a year.

[quote name='dragonsho']I have a 3.0 core 2 duo, 2gb or ram and a 8800gt and got around 20-30 fps at 1680x1050. I'll probably play it when it gets more polished and also wait on it just to see if there's even a community for it in a year.[/QUOTE]

Did you play it in the last 10 days when performance jumped quite a bit?

I tried to run it on a 3 almost 4 year old gateway. It was the 825GM with a Pintium 4 Processor 550 at 3.4 GHz 2 gigs of ram and a 7600GT or 7800GT that was about 2 or 3 years old. It was running like shit and now seeing how most newer games are going to need the power I went and bought just for gameing a dell xps 420. I'm just now installing the game. I really hope that it runs better on the new pc then it did the old one. I would think it will because like I said the old one was 3 almost 4 years old.

[quote name='sendme']I tried to run it on a 3 almost 4 year old gateway. It was the 825GM with a Pintium 4 Processor 550 at 3.4 GHz 2 gigs of ram and a 7600GT or 7800GT that was about 2 or 3 years old. It was running like shit and now seeing how most newer games are going to need the power I went and bought just for gameing a dell xps 420. I'm just now installing the game. I really hope that it runs better on the new pc then it did the old one. I would think it will because like I said the old one was 3 almost 4 years old.[/QUOTE]

What kind of video card does your new box have?

Let us know what you think of the game.

New one has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT. I have yet to be able to play it on the new PC because the install crashed at the end and the disc would not load. It did this to me when I put in on the old pc but on that one it came back up. So I'm installing it again. Also the card has 256Mb of mem but I may put a new one in some time in the next 6 months or so. I usually go nvidia and most of what I play even though this has nothing to do with it but they all have nvidia blasted all over them.

[quote name='mrelusive']Just bought the Collector's Edition.

Time to sever me some heads. :>[/QUOTE]

Damn it. Best buy was sold out. Lucky bastard.

I've been in beta for about a month so I'll be happy to answer any questions i can.

The game ran great on my new pc after installing twice. I had a few gliches with the graphics but from what people said in the chat a lot of people were. I woke up today to get back on it and saw no icon and nothing in start to load up the game. So i clicked on the drive and it didnt load and opened and closed the drive and nothing. So now I'm installing for the second time today because the first time it locked up on me. So I hope this second time it installes and gives me an icon or something in the start menu. If not then I'm calling it quits and cancelling my account.

Also one question can you chat with people on other servers? I joind a group with someone last night and we were both at the west gate in the first town and could not see each other. We asked in chat and all we got were comments about how people should not make this thier first mmo.

[quote name='sendme']
Also one question can you chat with people on other servers? I joind a group with someone last night and we were both at the west gate in the first town and could not see each other. We asked in chat and all we got were comments about how people should not make this thier first mmo.[/QUOTE]

All zones are instanced, you were each in a different instance of that zone. You can switch instances with a command. I forget the actual command but it's in the in game field guide.

I preordered warhammer and was sent a code to get into the beta for it. Did they say when it starts? I would love to get into it and if it has started alread I will cancel this game and go to warhammer till all the bugs are worked out. sorry to get off topic.

[quote name='Draekon']Well, I recieved an email where Funcom decided to give out Drinking Cape codes to closed beta testers (I think?) as a reward. Seeing as I won't be playing this since I'm in Warhammer Online Beta (Yeah, I can say that), I'll give it out to someone who's posted in this thread already, doesn't have a collectors account, and thinks they'll play for at least a little while.

Not going to do first come first serve but a random name raffle in a couple of days to whoever says they want it and meets the requirements I've stated above. If it's just one person, all the easier.

EDIT: I can't spell worth a damn lately.[/QUOTE]

PM'd :)

[quote name='sendme']I preordered warhammer and was sent a code to get into the beta for it. Did they say when it starts? I would love to get into it and if it has started alread I will cancel this game and go to warhammer till all the bugs are worked out. sorry to get off topic.[/QUOTE]

Seriously though, aoc is the smoothest mmo launch I have ever seen. From what you tell me, your issues are pretty unique. I don't see anyone on the aoc forums describing your client install issues.

I don't know anyone that has had a freeze or lock up in 3 weeks. It's lag free and runs like butter.

Anywho, if you would rather play warhammer, I might consider buying your CE off you....

So would you guys consider this game worth buying? Only MMO I've ever seriously tried was WoW and I didn't really like it. I wish I could get my hands on a trial lol.

I think it's awesome, to be honest. I stopped playing wow last summer, got bored.

But it really comes down to what you want in an mmo. If you really like pvp, then it's for you.

The system requirements are a little steep though.

List some things you want in an mmo and I can give you a better answer.

Um.. I just got sent some code for unlimited Ambrosia (aka booze).

Greetings!

You have been a long and thrustworthy participant in our community, and as such we would like to thank you for helping us form Age of Conan into the marvelous product it is today. The last weeks has seen some serious enhancment to the game, and with the release we will be opening several new areas and neverbefore seen content in the launch version of the game. What and where it is? You have to find out for yourself!

As a sign of gratitude for your aid, we are pleased to offer you the in-game item used by those loyal to King Conan: The Drinking Cape. This item will allow your characters (one game account only) to free of charge demand the very sought after alcholic drink of "Ambrosia" - free and in unlimited supplies for life! After having claimed your cape, merely find one of the kegs in the finer Inns of Hyboria and click it whilst wearing your cape to receive your drink.

To register your cape, log in to your account page by https://register.ageofconan.com clicking here and under the option "Use a Key" - enter this key:

KEY THEY GAVE ME GOES HERE

Once this has been done, use the command "/claim" inside the game to claim your in-game items. These items work for all the characters you create on your account. Note that all in-game items are only available on full accounts, and do not work on pre-order, buddy or (later) trial accounts.

Note that this item will not be made available again at later dates - so wear it with pride!

Regards,
Funcom
----

Lol @ "thrustworthy"

Welp, apparently the drinking cape code that got emailed is also unlocking all preorder items (rhino, mammoth, amazon bow, etc.) for them.

Don't know what the heck is with that. I'm not really complaining, but that just makes preordering or getting the CE a bit less special. :(

I got a code for the drinking cape also. I signed up for the beta over a year ago and never got in but they sent me a code... I need a new video card if I want to play (my X800gto is showing its age and has heat issues) so I doubt I will play since I don't have the funds.

I am very interested in this game, the mature themes and detailed combat seem great.
Who doesn't like boobs and a challenge all mixed in one bag?
I'm a Guild Wars player but I've had my share of old school MMOs like EQ, can anyone tell me about the PvP? What are the parameters? What do you lose upon death? What do you gain from PKing someone? What are the downtimes? What measures are in place to prevent unfair confrontations? etc...

I will be happy to take anyone's drinking cape code! :D

[quote name='Shion']I am very interested in this game, the mature themes and detailed combat seem great.
Who doesn't like boobs and a challenge all mixed in one bag?
I'm a Guild Wars player but I've had my share of old school MMOs like EQ, can anyone tell me about the PvP?[/quote]
Sure, I'll try to explain.

What are the parameters?
It depends on if you are talking about a PvP server or PvE. On a PvE server, pvp only happens in mini-games such as ctf type matches you can queue up for via an interface in your GUI. There are also border kingdoms, which is an entire zone where anything goes. But probably the most exciting aspect of PvP is the ability for guilds to build their own cities, which takes time and lots of profession/gathering effort by guild members. Then guilds can have their city/keeps attacked by other guilds in huge siege warfare battles. Very little of this has actually been seen though, because the game is 2 days old.

On a PvP server, all of the above remains true. But additionally FFA PvP is allowed anywhere but cities. You are allowed to attack anyone not in your group, even guild mates.

What do you lose upon death?
If killed by an npc, you get a debuff that can stack 3 times. These can be mitigated through finding your tombstone (place where you died) though.

In PvP death, however, you lose PvP experience. See below.

What do you gain from PKing someone?
There is a separate PvP experience meter that can go up to 10 levels. Apparently in the border kingdoms there will be items and stuff you can buy depending on how high your pvp level is.

It should be noted, that last I heard you lose a lot more PvP experience from death than you gain from one kill. This means you have to maintain a higher kill to death ratio to gain PvP levels.

What are the downtimes?
I am not really sure what you mean by downtimes.

What measures are in place to prevent unfair confrontations? etc...
Currently there doesn't seem to be any. Funcom said there would be invulnerability timers when you rez at a rez point and zone, but they aren't in or working yet. So there is some rez camping going on.

bread's done
Back