Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - PvP patch finally out

I'm downloading it from the early access client now, since the torrent was taking way to long. Currently at 68.7 percent, so should be done by tomorrow afternoon. I'm sooooo pumped.

Are PvP servers in Conan like they are in WoW where you can only be attacked if you have pvp mode on?

[quote name='DarthPuma']

Are PvP servers in Conan like they are in WoW where you can only be attacked if you have pvp mode on?[/QUOTE]

No, you can be attacked anywhere by anybody not in your group outside of major cities.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Some people complain about the armor not being "badass" enough. This is likely due to the art style for conan being a lot more 'realistic'. In other words, there are no gigantic shoulder pieces and glowing weapons. It looks realistic and functionall. For better or for worse. The conan universe doesn't have a lot of fantasy elements like orcs, elves, and non-human characters.

The world pvp is ok. About as good as daoc. Nobody has really gotten high enough yet to test out the siege warfare system.

Oh and from the people I know in the warhammer beta, it's pretty shitty.[/quote]

Cool thanks a lot for your insight. I might just wait a little more and see what happens.

[quote name='Jest']I have been using 2 handed blades as well, what do you use? I am setting my HoX on Bluesteel aside for now. I started a Tempest of Set on the Set server. I just seemed almost too fitting.[/quote]

Same, 2 handed blades. It's the best weapon for HoX's to use from what I understand. Grabbed the improved Breath spell (for 0.3 cast time - makes it WAY more useful,) and then headed straight down the melee feat tree after that.

[quote name='DarthPuma']So I'm downloading the patch for it now. Do most people play on PVP, or PVE servers?[/QUOTE]

I'm on PvP server bloodspire.

Others here are on other servers they have listed.

Seriously, I would love to join a CAG guild. You guys are so much friendlier than the people on the other board I post on (IGN).

Would I get in trouble for making a CAG Conan Gamin group thread? Not sure how it would be formatted since it's an mmo though.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of this one. Once I get my new machine together (I have all the parts, just lacking motivation), I guess I'll jump.

I'm so jealous, lol. I built my first computer (with tons of help) last year and I really want to do it again. Can't afford the parts until I find job, which is hard when you're 15 and don't want to mow lawns.

My rig isn't bad (7900 GS, 2 Gigs RAM, AMD 3800), but it could be much better. I want an 8800 GT, 4 gigs, and a high end dual core, (The 3800 is like the slowest one out).

I'm trying to register on the Funcom site and it won't let me register without using a credit card or gametime card....I thought the game came with 30 days free??

EDIT: I'll be on Bloodspire if I ever get registered.

I had the same problem DarthPuma. I bought the game at EB, came home, went back to get a time card, they didn't have any, then had to go to Future Shop to get one. The 30 days is added to it after though. I registered with a 60 day card on 05/22 and my subscription is good until 08/22.

If you select time card as an option you don't need to pay anything monthly. It still shows the radio buttons for recurring payments but they don't do anything.

I just used a PayPal CC and immediately canceled the account.

I guess I'll be on Bloodspire. Look for Darth Puma in five or so minutes.

Lol can't decide on a class....Is Bear Shaman a typical priest class?

EDIT: I'm a female Bear Shaman. I feel wierd being a girl in an MMO, but I always thought females were more appropriate for the priest class.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I just used a PayPal CC and immediately canceled the account.

I guess I'll be on Bloodspire. Look for Darth Puma in five or so minutes.

Lol can't decide on a class....Is Bear Shaman a typical priest class?

EDIT: I'm a female Bear Shaman. I feel wierd being a girl in an MMO, but I always thought females were more appropriate for the priest class.[/QUOTE]

I'm a female bear shaman too, currently: Beatrix.

It's not a typical priest class. It's very melee oriented. In fact, most of their heals proc off of melee attacks.

I have a couple really low level female bear shaman on 2 different servers ;) I pretty much only play female characters in games where sex doesn't matter. I just find all the male characters in this game look really weird or old. Is someone going to start a CAG gaming group thread for AoC?

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'm a female bear shaman too, currently: Beatrix.

It's not a typical priest class. It's very melee oriented. In fact, most of their heals proc off of melee attacks.[/quote]

Oh, so it's like a tank mixed with a [priest? That's pretty cool! There are spells to heal the party though, right?

I'll make the thread if we can all decide on a server!

[quote name='DarthPuma']Oh, so it's like a tank mixed with a [priest? That's pretty cool! There are spells to heal the party though, right?

I'll make the thread if we can all decide on a server![/QUOTE]

Yeah and some people consider them the best tanks in the game right now because of their heals.

Yes they heal all their group.

Has there been any mention of a demo or friend trial for the game. I know about half of the MMOs have them and about half don't. I need to see how this will run on my PC before investing into it. Would rather have it on the 360 but there has been no mention of that in quite a while.

[quote name='Jest']There is a free 7 day trial friend code that comes with the game, but they aren't implemented yet.[/quote]

Ah thanks :) If anyone has an extra code once they get implemented it would be most appreciated.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Has there been any mention of a demo or friend trial for the game. I know about half of the MMOs have them and about half don't. I need to see how this will run on my PC before investing into it. Would rather have it on the 360 but there has been no mention of that in quite a while.[/QUOTE]

They said in a recent interview to not expect the 360 version for about a year. Probably about the same time the first expansion comes out.

They will have to use much smaller, lower quality textures and compressed audio.

What server will the GG be centered around, I want a new character but don't know what server to go on :p.

Couple of quick questions...

One, where should I start spending my feat points? I'm a Bear Shaman.

Two, how the hell do fatalities work? I get them randomly.....

Three, I'm level 11. How long should I expect it to take to hit 20 and get the hell out of tortage?

I got to lvl 16 in one day. That was with my 3rd character so I knew up to lvl 10 like the back of my hand. It shouldn't take too long.

For the most part fatalities are random. The chance of them going off are heightened when you finish and enemy with a combo.

There is a feat resetter, so put the points wherever you think they will best benefit you at the time.

------------

Finally decided on a main. Kameo the Tempest of Set on Bloodspire (for all you fools)

[quote name='Jest']I got to lvl 16 in one day. That was with my 3rd character so I knew up to lvl 10 like the back of my hand. It shouldn't take too long. [/quote]

Another hint: Destiny quests (night) give you the most xp. If you focus on them asap you'll level fast.

For the most part fatalities are random. The chance of them going off are heightened when you finish and enemy with a combo.
Correct. They are random but happen much more often finishing with a combo. There is also gear with fatality chance increase stats.

There is a feat resetter, so put the points wherever you think they will best benefit you at the time.
Careful. Cost goes up each time you do this. Also don't forget to add to your skills on the character sheet (P).

I don't know the best way to spec a bear shaman. The feats, currently, have some real ambiguous explanations on them, and reports have it that some of them are broken or do something different than they say. For now, just do whatever. You could also check out the bear shaman forums on the official forums.

Alright. What night do we want our gaming group to be on? Also, anyone over level 20 want to make the guild? I can do it next week when I have time to go up 7 levels.

It's terrible, I keep making new characters! I really need to play through this game instead of running new chars through slavers and Picts.

So, I've settled on Bloodspire as well, have two characters on there already. Updated the first post with a few IGNs, and the servers they're on.

My IGN is DarthPuma, and I'm a bear shaman.

Awww, the next night quest requires me to be 15 and I'm only 13 and a half. I haven't done any day quests so they aren't gonna net me any EXP. Guess I'll just have to grind. :(

My ToS is 11 at this time and I am looking for a group to do Acheron Ruins and probably Underhall's quests after. Message Kameo in game.

EDIT: Its late I'm sleeping. Let me know if you guys want to group though. I'm free all day Sunday afaik.

[quote name='Jest']My ToS is 11 at this time and I am looking for a group to do Acheron Ruins and probably Underhall's quests after. Message Kameo in game.

EDIT: Its late I'm sleeping. Let me know if you guys want to group though. I'm free all day Sunday afaik.[/QUOTE]

Hit me up tomorrow (Vahagn), I'm lev 11 or 12, and currently running the ruins as well. I'll be playing in the morning for sure.

I've always been a casual WoW player (never really got into PVP or Raiding) and have leveled two characters up to 70 and quit about two weeks after getting them maxed out. I really just enjoy questing with guilds, exploring, and doing guild instances (NOT raiding).

How fun is the journey up to max lvl? Are there enough players on the servers to make world PVP fun? What does the end game content look like...does it require a massive time commitment or will it continue to be pick up/play like leveling?

I'm right on the brink of buying this but still have reservations for some reason.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just did a "Can You Run It" and it shows me about mid way between "Minimum" and "Recommended". How does the game look running on middle end equipment. I've seen the pics of high end, and its amazing, but will it look really crappy? I think pop up is probably my biggest gripe and probably animation secondly. I'll be upgrading my CPU and GPU this fall, but does anyone else run something similar and how does it play?

I'm running:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (5.7ghz)
2gig memory
Windows XP
Gforce 7600GS 256mb

IF you are between required and recommended you will probably have to run it at low settings, or medium and turn some of the system hoggers down/off. The game looks great on all settings. I've tried running on low/medium and high (too laggy in towns) and it looks great on either one. For me, character models remained awesome at low, and even the low-res textures looked great.

[quote name='blackjaw']I've always been a casual WoW player (never really got into PVP or Raiding) and have leveled two characters up to 70 and quit about two weeks after getting them maxed out. I really just enjoy questing with guilds, exploring, and doing guild instances (NOT raiding).

How fun is the journey up to max lvl? Are there enough players on the servers to make world PVP fun? What does the end game content look like...does it require a massive time commitment or will it continue to be pick up/play like leveling?

I'm right on the brink of buying this but still have reservations for some reason.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just did a "Can You Run It" and it shows me about mid way between "Minimum" and "Recommended". How does the game look running on middle end equipment. I've seen the pics of high end, and its amazing, but will it look really crappy? I think pop up is probably my biggest gripe and probably animation secondly. I'll be upgrading my CPU and GPU this fall, but does anyone else run something similar and how does it play?

I'm running:
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (5.7ghz)
2gig memory
Windows XP
Gforce 7600GS 256mb[/QUOTE]

Your video card is the only real bottleneck you have. Pick up an 8800GT for around $150 and you'll be running on high settings with that rig.

It's hard to answer your questions, because it's too early. I will tell you that as it stands now, after 50 content gets a little thin. And not enough 80's exist to really try any of the siege pvp stuff.

I can say that Funcom has claimed that their design is to not punish casual players. The game levels quickly and I'd say you can do about 75% solo, should you want.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Your video card is the only real bottleneck you have. Pick up an 8800GT for around $150 and you'll be running on high settings with that rig.

It's hard to answer your questions, because it's too early. I will tell you that as it stands now, after 50 content gets a little thin. And not enough 80's exist to really try any of the siege pvp stuff.

I can say that Funcom has claimed that their design is to not punish casual players. The game levels quickly and I'd say you can do about 75% solo, should you want.[/QUOTE]

I do have to remember that Bliz said "casual" players wouldnt be punished and all we got there was "rest xp".

I would love to upgrade to an 8800GT (plan to get one of those and a X2 5600+ to max out my motherboard) but this is a 2006 Dell system and I need a bigger power supply (think it is a 400w) which means finding a proprietary design. I just havent dedicated that much time to looking into upgrading.

Thanks for the replies....I'm seriously contemplating grabbing it today.

Do it. I'm running the same specs as you, except I have a 7900 GS. The game runs fine on medium settings, but the framerate isn't so hot in the city of tortage.

bread's done
Back